Vhale

Remote Biomes

Meh. Still against it. The whole thing is too complicated. Many of us enjoy the game because of its simplicity and ability to choose our own goals and play at our own pace. The idea of having to do *any* of these quest thingies or whatever in order to access other dragons is annoying and a chore, not fun.

Really, what is the purpose of this suggestion? If it's to reward long-time players by giving them more dragons to collect.... it's not a reward, at least not to this long-time player. It's just more dragons. I don't have any need or desire to access dragons other players can't access. Just release them for everyone, let us all collect them.

If it's to encourage people to collect more commons, in order to access biomes where they can collect more commons, meh again. It shouldn't be the game's job to tell people which eggs they should grab, or how many they have to have of one breed in order to catch another breed. Let people collect what they want. I collect tons of commons. But I choose which breeds to put on my "Currently Collecting" list and go on sprees grabbing bunches of those breeds. That's fun for me. Having the game tell me which breeds I have to grab wouldn't be fun. That would be a chore. I don't want it.

If it's to clear out the Completed List of dragon breeds waiting to be released, well, sorry, that's not my problem. If the Completed List has gotten out of control because of *years* of slow releases, dumping them all on us at once is not the solution. TJ's already dealing with it by increasing the releases to once a month. That's plenty. Increasing them even more, then restricting the releases to certain advantaged players with overly-complicated or unreasonable requirements, does not seem like a good solution to me.

Meh. Still against it. The whole thing is too complicated. Many of us enjoy the game because of its simplicity and ability to choose our own goals and play at our own pace. The idea of having to do *any* of these quest thingies or whatever in order to access other dragons is annoying and a chore, not fun.

Really, what is the purpose of this suggestion? If it's to reward long-time players by giving them more dragons to collect.... it's not a reward, at least not to this long-time player. It's just more dragons. I don't have any need or desire to access dragons other players can't access. Just release them for everyone, let us all collect them.

If it's to encourage people to collect more commons, in order to access biomes where they can collect more commons, meh again. It shouldn't be the game's job to tell people which eggs they should grab, or how many they have to have of one breed in order to catch another breed. Let people collect what they want. I collect tons of commons. But I choose which breeds to put on my "Currently Collecting" list and go on sprees grabbing bunches of those breeds. That's fun for me. Having the game tell me which breeds I have to grab wouldn't be fun. That would be a chore. I don't want it.

If it's to clear out the Completed List of dragon breeds waiting to be released, well, sorry, that's not my problem. If the Completed List has gotten out of control because of *years* of slow releases, dumping them all on us at once is not the solution. TJ's already dealing with it by increasing the releases to once a month. That's plenty. Increasing them even more, then restricting the releases to certain advantaged players with overly-complicated or unreasonable requirements, does not seem like a good solution to me.

^THIS

Plus face it. A lot of those completed breeds will never see the light of the cave. What really needs to happen is TJ needs to go through that list and reject all those he knows he will never use for whatever reason. That should bring the list down by a fair number I would imagine. Maybe after that happens we can go back and look at how many are left but I am assuming that it will be cut in about half. If that's the case then we can keep releases as they are and simply close down Dragon Requests for awhile.

I'm okay with maybe three new biomes based on trophy level. But that's about it. No quests, collect x amount of this, ect which will force play styles on people.

As we went over before, people who stick to: I only collect 2 of each dragon, are forcing their playstyle on everyone else. Because the game is not set up to provide equal distribution of dragons. The game is set up so that there must be, 100 mints to 1 gold. You may not want to play it that way, but that doesn't stop the cave from working that way. However, if that is your concern, I think Cinnamin posted a thread about adjusting the ratios themselves. You should show your support for it in that case.

As we went over before, people who stick to: I only collect 2 of each dragon, are forcing their playstyle on everyone else. Because the game is not set up to provide equal distribution of dragons. The game is set up so that there must be, 100 mints to 1 gold. You may not want to play it that way, but that doesn't stop the cave from working that way. However, if that is your concern, I think Cinnamin posted a thread about adjusting the ratios themselves. You should show your support for it in that case.

Well this is forcing people to play a certain way too. So in my opinion it's just as guilty and part of my reason for only partial support. I don't see ratios changing at all and it is part of my argument for this suggestion so I am not going to withdraw it.

When TJ himself comes in and says 'You must collect x of every breed! Or more for example mints then any other dragon!' That will be the day I seriously consider quitting this game. I've been here for every upheaval dragoncave has had besides the Fog and I have never quit the game. But once people start forcing people to collect certain amounts of breeds to gain access to special features? Yeah I'm out.

Then it becomes less fun and more of a chore. Esp when I have to deal with excess breeds that I would rather not have.

For every person whose playstyle is to collect 1 dragon or 1 pair per breed, there is someone else whose playstyle is to collect armies of Gray dragons or Water dragons or Mints or something else. It all balances out, and everybody gets to collect what they want and nobody's forced to collect anything they don't want to.

But once people start forcing people to collect certain amounts of breeds to gain access to special features? Yeah I'm out.

You mean like hybrids? Or breeding in general? Or influence? Or Incubate? Or Summon? Or Teleport? Or Bite? Or Fertility? Or Trophies? Or Expunge? Or Splash?

Sounds like I should be shocked you are here at all o.O

I'm curious as to people that are not supporting the Migration option which requires no collecting whatsoever. Makes me wonder if this is concrit at all. Personally I think the Quest/RP option is the most fun, but at the end of the day, I think the Migration/Seasonal option is the easiest and covers all concerns.

For every person whose playstyle is to collect 1 dragon or 1 pair per breed, there is someone else whose playstyle is to collect armies of Gray dragons or Water dragons or Mints or something else. It all balances out, and everybody gets to collect what they want and nobody's forced to collect anything they don't want to.

The current state of the ap disagrees with you.

Edited by Vhale

Let me rephrase (and slightly change) my suggestion for "quests", for lack of a better word.

Is this too much? I don't think so. Even if you don't raise a single dragon, but visit the biomes daily, you'll be in every remote biome after less than 9 months. So, how long does it take to unlock one special biome if you really put some effort into it?

Alpine: Has 29 breeds in it, if you don't count golds, silvers and unbreedables. 28 if you don't count ices, either. 27 if you take GWs off the list, too.

So, in order to access the biome remote_alpine, you could either raise one of all 29 dragons of that biome - which even a newby can do in 27 days, completely without incubate. Or, if they don't like all breeds or can't get all of them, they can unlock the biome in 50 days by raising 20 breeds from there.

Coast: Has 23 breeds. 22, if you don't count blusangs (which are pretty rare, to be honest). Once again, raising all of them can be accomplished in 21 days. Or raise 16 breeds and wait for 50 days - and you're in remote_coast.

Desert: Has 17 breeds. 16 if you don't count thunders. The remote_desert can be unlocked within 15 (18 with thunder) days if you raise all breeds. Or in 50 days if you only raise 10 of them.

Forest: Contains 28-30 (luminas? splits?) breeds. Thus, the remote_forest can be unlocked by a new player within 27 days by raising one of each breed. Or in 50 days if they choose to only raise 20 of them (at most).

Jungle: Contains 24-26 breeds (luminas? splits?), and a newbie can unlock remote_jungle within 24 days. Or within 50 days by only raising 18 of the breeds there.

Volcano: Contains 19-21 breeds (luminas? splits?). One less if you don't count magmas. Once again, these are easily raised by a new player within no more than 18 days. Or the remote_volcano can be unlocked in 50 days by only raising 14 of them.

If people play cleverly and raise only dragons that appear in multiple biomes, they should be able to unlock at least 4, if not all 6, remote biomes within 50 days by collecting 2/3 of all breeds. That's not much, is it?

I'd even go so far as to add some even more "special" biomes like doubly remote biomes where you have to find the regular remote biome in order to fulfill the quest for the doubly remote one. Take coast, for example. A remote biome for coast might be ocean, right? So, after "finding" the ocean, you can then unlock the deep sea, for example. (Or a strange island where island dwarfism has created numerous pygmy breeds to live there. Or a reef. A new continent with very different dragons. Whichever.)

I could even see things like different planes like the abyssal or celestial plane come into play by using teleport a certain number of times. Like use 20 two-way teleports to unlock the abyssal plane, and 20 one-way teleports to unlock the celestial plane. There sure are a number of dragon concepts that would work for these "biomes". (Hoever, I wouldn't announce how to get to these biomes with different unlocking mechanics, or players would simply send the same egg back and forth 20 times between them. xd.png )

While I currently have strong reservations about the mechanism for gaining access (not yours specifically, olympe, I just haven't seen anything that made me jump up and shout YES! during my brief visits to the thread), I do love the "flavour" and idea of the extended biomes. If the access questions can be resolved satisfactorily then I'd be all for it.

I do think that any access limit *must* be based on common actions that any player will perform regardless of whether they have access to the forums or not. This does seem to make trophy level the most obvious choice, really, since *everyone* on DC raises dragons, even if they choose to only raise one breed or only one of each sprite.

The current state of the ap disagrees with you.

In what way? I don't see anything wrong with the current state of the AP, in fact I love it. I hunt there more often than the biomes these days.

In what way? I don't see anything wrong with the current state of the AP, in fact I love it. I hunt there more often than the biomes these days.

If people were raising as many commons as rares, the ap would not be filled with low time commons. And has been filled, for a very long time. To the point that it now takes days for an egg drop to surface. We also wouldn't have rare droughts, such as the often mentioned metal drought. And this is with the many common raising threads we already have. Not to mention the current suggestion thread to tweak ratios and specifically Nocturnes.

If people were raising as many commons as rares, the ap would not be filled with low time commons. And has been filled, for a very long time. To the point that it now takes days for an egg drop to surface. We also wouldn't have rare droughts, such as the often mentioned metal drought. And this is with the many common raising threads we already have. Not to mention the current suggestion thread to tweak ratios and specifically Nocturnes.

People are raising FAR MORE commons than rares - that is the way of the game. Rares are - rare ! they aren't THERE to be raised in anywhere near the same numbers.

I love the way the AP is now.

People are raising FAR MORE commons than rares - that is the way of the game. Rares are - rare ! they aren't THERE to be raised in anywhere near the same numbers.

I love the way the AP is now.

Please point out to me where I said the ap was bad as it is. Other than that, yes, SOME people are. Thank you for agreeing with me.

I don't see how people only choosing to collect two of each dragon are forcing their playstyle on anyone else? The cave will produce the same number of whatever dragon regardless of if it is picked up or not. Just because someone only has two Mints doesn't make the cave start spitting out more Mints. The cave will just spit out as many Mints as it would have if those two Mints went to the AP or if they were picked up by someone who has a whole hoard of them...

Just want clarification on what you mean by they're forcing their playstyle on others?

Edited by shikaru

They mean that you can only catch certain dragons is the specific biome, much like now, but the colour of the trophy gives you access to the biome. Some people do not want to be forced to get more dragons just to enter the biome.

The other option is entering a biome after collecting a certain amount of dragons from a biome. This once again forces users to get dragons they do not want.

Please point out to me where I said the ap was bad as it is. Other than that, yes, SOME people are. Thank you for agreeing with me.

You didn't. I added that because I like it and someone else seemed to suggest it was a problem.

Dame_Jedi: I understand why people don't want the requirements for biomes to be put in place because that forces a playstyle on people, I get that and totally understand.

What I don't understand is the counterargument of this:

As we went over before, people who stick to: I only collect 2 of each dragon, are forcing their playstyle on everyone else.

How is someone only collecting 2 of each dragon affecting anyone else?

Edited by shikaru

For people to be able to have 2 of each breed, SOMEONE has to pick up the excess or the rares stop producing until they do. That is what causes metal droughts. One could even say that playstyle is... Elitist.

I find it doubly sad that someone would rather permanently remove half the dragons from the completed list than have to potentially wait 3-9 months to collect them. Technically, we've already waited 5 years for some of them, so I don't understand why several months is a hardship.

But once people start forcing people to collect certain amounts of breeds to gain access to special features? Yeah I'm out.

With my quest suggestion, nobody is forced to play any which way. You can just wait out the 250 days without collecting a single dragon to gain access to all remote areas at once. Or you can collect an army of one breed only and gain access to at least one biome, maybe more. An army of whites, for instance, would unlock all remote biomes for you. And for people who only collect one of each breed - well, they can still do that and gain access to all remote biomes pretty quickly. So where is this forcing people to play a certain way? (Somehow, I get the feeling that, no matter how much choice you have to gain entrance, people will always complain that it means "forcing a certain play style on people". Like they see a suggestion they don't like and bring down the hammer argument, whether it applies or not.)

How is someone only collecting 2 of each dragon affecting anyone else? 
Well, if you collect only 2 of each breed, but the cave produces (for example= 100 mints and water walkers and guardians... for each gold in the cave - who's going to have to take the other mints (and so on) in order to get things going again? And why is it that it's often these "I only collect 2 of each breed" players who have armies of golds and/or silvers and/or low-gen tinsels and a number of other hard-to-get breeds?

They mean that you can only catch certain dragons is the specific biome, much like now, but the colour of the trophy gives you access to the biome. Some people do not want to be forced to get more dragons just to enter the biome.

The other option is entering a biome after collecting a certain amount of dragons from a biome. This once again forces users to get dragons they do not want.

Ahem. Read my suggestion from the last page? Because it includes another way to get into the remote biomes that does not include anything but visiting the biomes. No collecting. No breeding. No raising. Just visiting the darn biome. If you can't even be expected to do that, what are you doing on DC?

I find it doubly sad that someone would rather permanently remove half the dragons from the completed list than have to potentially wait 3-9 months to collect them. Technically, we've already waited 5 years for some of them, so I don't understand why several months is a hardship.
Totally this. Only it would have to be about 90% of what's on the completed list, not just 50%. Edited by olympe

Well, if you collect only 2 of each breed, but the cave produces (for example= 100 mints and water walkers and guardians... for each gold in the cave - who's going to have to take the other mints (and so on) in order to get things going again? And why is it that it's often these "I only collect 2 of each breed" players who have armies of golds and/or silvers and/or low-gen tinsels and a number of other hard-to-get breeds?

I don't know, I'm not one of those people so I can't answer that. Besides, there are plenty of people who collect commons so I don't see the issue of some people only wanting two of everything.

For people to be able to have 2 of each breed, SOMEONE has to pick up the excess or the rares stop producing until they do. That is what causes metal droughts. One could even say that playstyle is... Elitist.

How is it elitist? It isn't excluding any group from being able to grab anything. If we're going to argue that the number of dragons that any one person picks up is having an effect on anyone else (which I disagree with, it has such a small amount of an effect to be unnoticeable), then people who breed are "pushing their playstyle on others" as well. If they breed a Gold, that's one more Gold adding to the ratio.

Just because some people have restrictions to what they pick up doesn't make it enough to affect things. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of players want rares > commons, so won't pick up commons too often in favor of waiting for rares. If the problem of "metal droughts" is caused by people not picking up commons, then clearly we should force everyone to start picking up loads of commons. I don't think ANYONE would like that. It's telling them what to do, and no one comes here to be told what to do with their pixel dragons.

EDIT: The difference here is that someone picking up only two of each dragon or only golden wyverns IS NOT FORCING YOU TO DO ANYTHING YOU DON'T WANT TO. You choose to pick up what you pick up. No one is forcing that, and if you don't want to pick up that Waterwalker? So what? It doesn't affect your ability to continue playing the game like everyone else.

Edited by shikaru

Besides, there are plenty of people who collect commons so I don't see the issue of some people only wanting two of everything.
And I'm one of them. Why? Various reasons. There are a few commons which I really adore - ridgewings (especially purple), sunsongs, nebulas, whites... Others because of their BSA only, most prominently reds. And, of course, because I know that I'll never be able to get any of the CB metals myself, and only every couple of months maybe a trio or blusang or GW. The last thing from that list that I caught was a CB GW last month, and another a couple of months before that. Before that... I think a trio, but that's more than half a year ago now. And breeding my rares isn't all that interesting in the long run.

How is it elitist? It isn't excluding any group from being able to grab anything.
Yes, it is. It excludes players with slower internet and reflexes from collecting some of these rares, but forces them to collect commons instead - because that's all that's left for them.

The difference here is that someone picking up only two of each dragon or only golden wyverns IS NOT FORCING YOU TO DO ANYTHING YOU DON'T WANT TO. You choose to pick up what you pick up. No one is forcing that, and if you don't want to pick up that Waterwalker? So what? It doesn't affect your ability to continue playing the game like everyone else.
Actually, it does affect you. Especially if all biomes are blocked with, well, blockers that you don't like. What's left for you to do? Wait for the next hourly drop? And then? The next, and the next after that?

Exactly.

Another fun option would be a biome depending on what country/continent the player was from. But I'm sure some areas would have to be sub-divided.

Let me rephrase (and slightly change) my suggestion for "quests", for lack of a better word.

Is this too much? I don't think so. Even if you don't raise a single dragon, but visit the biomes daily, you'll be in every remote biome after less than 9 months. So, how long does it take to unlock one special biome if you really put some effort into it?

Alpine: Has 29 breeds in it, if you don't count golds, silvers and unbreedables. 28 if you don't count ices, either. 27 if you take GWs off the list, too.

So, in order to access the biome remote_alpine, you could either raise one of all 29 dragons of that biome - which even a newby can do in 27 days, completely without incubate. Or, if they don't like all breeds or can't get all of them, they can unlock the biome in 50 days by raising 20 breeds from there.

Coast: Has 23 breeds. 22, if you don't count blusangs (which are pretty rare, to be honest). Once again, raising all of them can be accomplished in 21 days. Or raise 16 breeds and wait for 50 days - and you're in remote_coast.

Desert: Has 17 breeds. 16 if you don't count thunders. The remote_desert can be unlocked within 15 (18 with thunder) days if you raise all breeds. Or in 50 days if you only raise 10 of them.

Forest: Contains 28-30 (luminas? splits?) breeds. Thus, the remote_forest can be unlocked by a new player within 27 days by raising one of each breed. Or in 50 days if they choose to only raise 20 of them (at most).

Jungle: Contains 24-26 breeds (luminas? splits?), and a newbie can unlock remote_jungle within 24 days. Or within 50 days by only raising 18 of the breeds there.

Volcano: Contains 19-21 breeds (luminas? splits?). One less if you don't count magmas. Once again, these are easily raised by a new player within no more than 18 days. Or the remote_volcano can be unlocked in 50 days by only raising 14 of them.

If people play cleverly and raise only dragons that appear in multiple biomes, they should be able to unlock at least 4, if not all 6, remote biomes within 50 days by collecting 2/3 of all breeds. That's not much, is it?

I'd even go so far as to add some even more "special" biomes like doubly remote biomes where you have to find the regular remote biome in order to fulfill the quest for the doubly remote one. Take coast, for example. A remote biome for coast might be ocean, right? So, after "finding" the ocean, you can then unlock the deep sea, for example. (Or a strange island where island dwarfism has created numerous pygmy breeds to live there. Or a reef. A new continent with very different dragons. Whichever.)

I could even see things like different planes like the abyssal or celestial plane come into play by using teleport a certain number of times. Like use 20 two-way teleports to unlock the abyssal plane, and 20 one-way teleports to unlock the celestial plane. There sure are a number of dragon concepts that would work for these "biomes". (Hoever, I wouldn't announce how to get to these biomes with different unlocking mechanics, or players would simply send the same egg back and forth 20 times between them. xd.png )

I like this idea, but can only support if the "raising" requirement includes dragons you already have.

I've said it at least twice and I'll say it again. People scream "don't force me to change my play style!" and from what I've seen people are jumping through hoops to work these so that people don't have to change their play style to get in. Why does that suddenly vanish when it comes to people who already have their dragons????

Using myself as an example, I collect 4 adults and 3 hatchlings for each breed. I have that for every existing breed except shimmers and soulpeaces [and mints and dinos which I don't collect]. I would find it extremely distasteful to have to raise dragons I have no use for. I'm sure others that are more adamant about the numbers of their collection than I am, since I'm rather lax. It's different for newbies who can have the same goal as me, or even a more restrictive one, without being harmed at all because they don't have the dragons yet. They can get the access while doing what they would be doing already: building their collection.

I'm not being elitist, I'm not trying to take the easy way out. I'm saying, let me use what I've already done. I've spent the time to raise my dragons, and I don't want any more.

I am going to say this. If it is impossible to include what was raised before the biomes were added [which I will argue forever is unfair], at least don't force the eggs to be CB. I can deal if I can breed them from my own stock. But forcing people to trade for dragons they already have and don't want more of is the worst. [and yes, it is forcing people to trade. Not everyone can catch CB blacks, or have the patience to wait around for the one egg they're looking for to pop up]

Yes, it is. It excludes players with slower internet and reflexes from collecting some of these rares, but forces them to collect commons instead - because that's all that's left for them.

Except that everyone has to deal with the "blockers", not just someone with a slow connection. Slower internet connections also isn't something the game itself can solve outside of just straight giving everyone what they want, which would change everything entirely.

Actually, it does affect you. Especially if all biomes are blocked with, well, blockers that you don't like. What's left for you to do? Wait for the next hourly drop? And then? The next, and the next after that?

I'm still making a choice. I could choose to pick up a common or I could choose to wait, either way isn't affecting my ability to access what others can access. I also still don't think "blockers" are the fault of people who only want a certain number of each dragon, they're just a product of having different rarities.

Edited by shikaru

And you're also making the choice whether to do what needs to be done to enter a biome or not. I have neither the time nor the patience to spend hours hunting each day in the vain hope to finally catch a CB metal, so I probably never will get one because I gave up trying. You don't want to collect more than two of each dragon, fine, so you'll not get into the remote biomes before you've hunted the closer biome 250 times. It's your call, your choice. You might not like the consequences, but it's still your choice. Even your scroll goals are your personal choice, and not the holy grail of all that's DC.

I've said it at least twice and I'll say it again. People scream "don't force me to change my play style!" and from what I've seen people are jumping through hoops to work these so that people don't have to change their play style to get in. Why does that suddenly vanish when it comes to people who already have their dragons????
I don't think it needs to vanish, nor should it. As a matter of fact, this would be unprecedented. The reds caught before incubate was implemented still got the BSA, didn't they? And daydreams and whites that got raised ages ago can still breed soulpeaces.

Despite me not being in favor of making everyone start from scratch, I wouldn't mind it overly much, either, as I know exactly what to do in order to get there quickly.

Edited by olympe

Personally, I'm leery of it because of how low some people are trying to set the bar for access. For example, 10 dragons. That's so low we may as well just open up new biomes, which TJ won't allow. It's also why I'm veering strongly towards seasonal biomes. Because no matter which way we spin it, everyone will get access eventually. Kinda the point, after all. So I can't get away from, there has to both be a way to provide everyone with access and limit it, at the same time. I think Seasonal is the only way I mentally keep coming back to, to do that.

At the same time, I <3 olympe's idea.

Except that everyone has to deal with the "blockers", not just someone with a slow connection. Slower internet connections also isn't something the game itself can solve outside of just straight giving everyone what they want, which would change everything entirely.

Actually, no.

If you can catch rares reliably, you drop your blockers back to AP or dont pick them up at all, making it "someone else's problem".

BTW: While I support diversity of biomes, I can not support anything that depends on your origins or location. It marks you as "one of them" while being very harsh on people that like other origin's dragons better.