Vhale

Remote Biomes

I am very much against this. The point of this suggestion was to give people an unlockable incentive. Hatching eggs takes time. Hatching some dragons, then throwing them away because I don't want them (Just an example- If I hatched them, I'd probably keep them.) to unlock more dragons sounds illogical.

Plus, from a worldbuilding point of view, where's the logic? I don't see why having an aquatic hatchling or whatever allows me to go into this biome, unless I can't get to it any other way than slapping a saddle on a Water and saying "O great hatchling, hi thine butt to the Remote Biomes!" Even then, why couldn't I use an adult dragon? Why does past experience count for nothing?

I'd be much better off with raising a few dragons to maturity that are found in that biome.

"You feel comfortable enough with the dragons in the [biome] that you are confident enough to venture further. You hike on through/swim through/whatever through the [biome] until you reach the [remote biome]."

The point of this suggestion is to introduce new sprites in such a way that we are not inundated with the need to collect new eggs and in a way that there is the least opposition. People claim that this suggestion is elitist because it is quite elitist no matter which way you argue it. With good reason too, because I'd imagine that we'd end up monopolising the trading system if this is put into place.

We already have trophy benefits based on egg slots, I don't want to see additional benefits for trophies. Firstly, it feels lazy and uncreative. Secondly, yes it does feel elitist and like a suggestion which will encourage people to multiscroll and access the biomes as a trading benefit. Thirdly, people who have chosen to keep x number of adults, x numbers of hatchlings etc. have experienced strong disapproval against this suggestion, because suprisingly enough, you'd have to keep adult dragons that you don't WANT on your scroll.

Why does past experience count for nothing?

People don't like it and call it elitism. Having read most of this thread, the main reason why people oppose this is on that basis. If we are internally divided, there is basically no chance that this suggestion will EVER be implemented no matter what way it is suggested or justified.

Adult dragons or hatchlings I honestly don't really care which is used as long as the suggestion is finally implemented.

Edited by DarkEternity

I actually think this would DIScourage multiscrolling. If you have to work to access the remote biomes, and you have to collect *some* dragons to do so, or be here for x amount of time, then people might be less inclined to have multiple accounts. Plus, if an account has nothing but advanced biome eggs right off the bat, then it's a good bet it's a multiple scroll.

I still like Olympe's idea the best.

ETA: I agree, Dark, I'd like nothing better than for this to happen, but it needs to happen in such a way that it's workable for the majority of users.

Honestly, if all we need is a sprite dump, then the best way to do that would be to have extra biomes, w/o entrance requirements.

Edited by Spelunker

Personally that sounds awful to me. |: If you unlock a biome it should STAY unlocked.

I agree. While I understand the good intention, I would find this very annoying and frustrating. How would you explain the need of hatchlings RP wise?

Here is another idea to add to the pot:

What if it was a random chance that would appear when you clicked an egg in a biome? (The more remote the lower the chance)

Here is an example. I'm in the jungle and I click and get a horse egg. Over the egg, a message appears:

'As you go to take the egg, you catch a small path out of the corner of your eye. Go down the path?'

This would do a few things;

- It would encourage movement in the biomes (something that hasn't been happening as much since the introduction of low time AP)

- Finding a path while walking around and stealing eggs would make sense from an RP standpoint. It would also make since that it may take multiple trips to notice and would take different people different amounts of time to notice.

- It would affect nobodies play style since they could dump the eggs once they have the path if they didn't want them. You could argue that this would fill up the AP, but people grab and dump CB to move the biomes all of the time. And once people had access to all of the biomes they wanted, they would stop.

-People would have to wait 5 hours to dump unwanted eggs and try again, which would mean that it would keep people from getting the extra biomes too quickly. (Assuming they didn't get luck and get it on there first try)

-The only advantage older players would have would be having more eggs slot and therefore more chances in one go but even then it would come down to luck.

Tear it apart guys smile.gif

What if it was a random chance that would appear when you clicked an egg in a biome? (The more remote the lower the chance)

Here is an example. I'm in the jungle and I click and get a horse egg. Over the egg, a message appears:

'As you go to take the egg, you catch a small path out of the corner of your eye. Go down the path?'

Interesting concept. Hmm. Other opinions?

I actually think this would DIScourage multiscrolling. If you have to work to access the remote biomes, and you have to collect *some* dragons to do so, or be here for x amount of time, then people might be less inclined to have multiple accounts. Plus, if an account has nothing but advanced biome eggs right off the bat, then it's a good bet it's a multiple scroll.

Or you could argue that once a multiscroller got all the dragons they'd have access to it forever. So many ways possible arguments, yup, yup. xd.png I just hope we get some consensus sad.gif

Only problem I see are the numerous cries of "IT'S NOT FAIR, BLAAAAAA. ;A; USER XXX GOT TO THE SPECIAL BIOME FIRST, TJ, AND NOW THEY'RE MONOPOLIZING THE TRADE MARKETS. CHANGE IT BACK NAO BLAAAAA."

Perhaps once you hunt x amount of times in the biome of your choice, the "egg" catches your eye?

Perhaps a message like, "As you hunt, one of your dragons comes up to you, nudging your side and staring pointedly at a spot a few yards away. You wonder if it's trying to tell you something?" as you are close to achieving the biome goal/ and/or you hunt in the biome enough, you get this message. "As you hunt, one of your dragons comes up to you, nudging your side and staring pointedly at a spot a few yards away. You wonder if it's trying to tell you something... After repeated nudging from your dragon, you stare a little bit harder, and see a path leading deeper into the [biome name]. Follow the path?"

Edited by Spelunker

Best idea on the thread. In fact, I'd raise the requirement to something five aquatic hatchlings.

It solves these issues:

- Veteran players are unable to continually monopolise the biomes

- 1000+ dragons or whatever does not impact on the availability of the biome so no one can complain that this suggestion is elitist

- It doesn't interrupt your playstyle. You can continually raise additional hatchlings. Otherwise, I'll argue that you can continue playing your playstyle e.g. collecting million of each breed or whatever, and you can just leave the biomes locked. Nobody is forcing you to venture into those biomes. After all, your playstyle should come first and nobody is making you modify it.

- You are not going to NEED to spend your entire life in that one biome. Just raise those hatchlings and whilst they're growing up, max out your scroll slots with eggs from that biome. It's not going to kill you if you have to raise a tiny amount of hatchlings

- If you support the other suggestions, imagine the impact on your playstyle. You'd have to raise x% of dragons from a biome, or even worse hundreds of dragons. With this one, the minimum entry requirement is significantly lowered. Unless you want to fill your entire scroll day after day after day with CB remote biome eggs, please explain to me how having to unlock a biome will ruin your playstyle.

- If you only keep certain numbers of dragons/species on your scroll, just release the hatchlings after you are done

- I believe this will help the ratios significantly, as long as trios/metals are excluded. Compare the impact of raising two dragons all the time if you want to constantly fill up your scroll and raising 50 dragons and stopping forever. Well, in the first instance it would continually balance the ratios. In the latter instance, the effect would eventually fade. You likely would NOT constantly need CBs from the remote biomes so don't complain to me that raising a few hatchlings is the most difficult experience of your veteran life. But at some point in time, someone, at least, will be trying to access the biomes and hence the ratios are likely to be continually balanced.

- People are not going to create multiple accounts JUST to get biome access to all biomes. Even if they do use multiple accounts, they are going to have to work to keep their account monopoly. I know that multiaccounts is an ongoing issue, but this suggestion is better than the other suggestions in this regard.

- Final point. I am an artist. To me, the backlog is rather discouraging and I would highly prefer more than a 0.0000000001% chance of ever getting my work through the hellhole in three years

Not perfect, but the most perfect solution we are ever likely to get.

Agreed. If I may add something, I think that StormWizzard's idea has also the KISS advantage. Keeps it simple, easy to explain to a new player, probably quite easier to implement than other, contrived, suggestions.

This. I don't want to have to constantly unlock a biome, especially not with conditions so arbitrary I probably won't have them fulfilled normally. :|

Agreed, ay.

Perhaps once you hunt x amount of times in the biome of your choice, the "egg" catches your eye?

Perhaps a message like, "As you hunt, one of your dragons comes up to you, nudging your side and staring pointedly at a spot a few yards away. You wonder if it's trying to tell you something?" as you are close to achieving the biome goal/ and/or you hunt in the biome enough, you get this message. "As you hunt, one of your dragons comes up to you, nudging your side and staring pointedly at a spot a few yards away. You wonder if it's trying to tell you something... After repeated nudging from your dragon, you stare a little bit harder, and see a path leading deeper into the [biome name]. Follow the path?"

Or you could argue that once a multiscroller got all the dragons they'd have access to it forever. So many ways possible arguments, yup, yup. xd.png I just hope we get some consensus sad.gif

Well, the thread isn't even 2 months old, so I don't think the lack of focus on just one idea is indicative of people not settling on one eventually.

People don't like it and call it elitism. Having read most of this thread, the main reason why people oppose this is on that basis. If we are internally divided, there is basically no chance that this suggestion will EVER be implemented no matter what way it is suggested or justified.

There was a lot of internal division and arguing about teleport and it was implemented. I think it's less important that everyone get on board than that the idea is strong and provides benefits for the game and the site.

Also, as to the hacthllings on scroll idea, I don't know that I'd ultimately support it, but I don't think that it's unjustifiable in-game. For instance, if the biomes are harder to reach parts of our current biomes, then maybe a hatchling would know a small, hidden entrance that an adult dragon couldn't access. It's easy enough to spin that you can't find your way back, and that the hatchling returns with you since sometimes you can't even abandon the little guys. lol

Again, I don't know if it's the bet idea, but I don't think it's unworkable.

You could argue that this would fill up the AP, but people grab and dump CB to move the biomes all of the time. And once people had access to all of the biomes they wanted, they would stop.

While I find your suggestion very interesting, you already identified the issue that would be my biggest concern: AP backlog. As you said, players would (hopefully) stop grabbing and dumping CBs once they achieve their unlocking goal but we have new players joining constantly and the cycle would restart.

While I find your suggestion very interesting, you already identified the issue that would be my biggest concern: AP backlog. As you said, players would (hopefully) stop grabbing and dumping CBs once they achieve their unlocking goal but we have new players joining constantly and the cycle would restart.

Low time eggs are popular for incuhatching :3

Yes, and they're low-time BECAUSE there's such a huge backlog.

I like it. I don't see the problem, unless it begins to cause server strain.

Only problem I see are the numerous cries of "IT'S NOT FAIR, BLAAAAAA. ;A; USER XXX GOT TO THE SPECIAL BIOME FIRST, TJ, AND NOW THEY'RE MONOPOLIZING THE TRADE MARKETS. CHANGE IT BACK NAO BLAAAAA."

Well, that argument would apply to basically any idea in this thread. As long as the rates are kept low enough so that people don't loose hope thay they will ever get to the new biomes, it shouldn't cause too much drama.

As I said, this already happens quite a bit. I'd say almost half of the eggs in the AP are CB. Since they would be low time by the time they surfaced, they would also be more desirable as incuhatchable AP eggs then sitting at 7 days in the biomes blocking things up.

If it does get out of control, there are all of the ideas in the Things to help the AP clear/not block thread.

It is just an idea, feel free to add/suggest/change bits.

Edited by aangs-sister

True. I meant people screaming more like "TJ, THIS PERSON GOT TO THE SPECIAL BIOME BEFORE ME AND DID NOTHING TO DESERVE IT. Y U NO GIVE ME SPECIAL DARGONS WAAAAH?!" sort of thing.

Like the prize dragons I suppose.

Edited by Spelunker

True. I meant people screaming more like "TJ, THIS PERSON GOT TO THE SPECIAL BIOME BEFORE ME AND DID NOTHING TO DESERVE IT. Y U NO GIVE ME SPECIAL DARGONS WAAAAH?!" sort of thing.

I'm sure that TJ would have no issues with giving the appropriate response smile.gif

But they would still be able to get it as long as they kept trying, unlike prizes. I imagine it would be more like getting frustrated with summon not working but with much, much better odds.

But they would still be able to get it as long as they kept trying, unlike prizes. I imagine it would be more like getting frustrated with summon not working but with much, much better odds.

I have a suggestion. How about, to access the remote biome, you raise either 50 dragons from that biome or spend 50 days hunting in the biome. (visit one per day, visits don't have to be consecutive)

1 day or 1 dragon counts for 1 point. If the dragon is found in more that 1 biome, then it only counts towards the biome it was found in.

When you reach 55 points (You need to raise at least 5 dragons, c'mon) , you see this:

"As you hunt, one of your dragons comes up to you, nudging your side and staring pointedly at a spot a few yards away. You wonder if it's trying to tell you something."

When the window of time is up (You'll automatically get the message at the end if it didn't pop up in that time frame) or your stars align and the game lets you in, you see this message:

"After days of your dragon nudging and pointing, you decide to investigate.Much to your surprise, you find a path leading deeper ino the [biome] Follow the path" [y/n]"

Then, you'd get this:

"As you follow the path deeper into [biome], you see many large dragons scattered about, all of which are unfamiliar to you. You gaze in wonder, and realize that there may be similar remote areas beyond your other usual hunting spots. Nearby, there is a pile of several eggs." [y/n]"

I like consecutiveness, (with odds increasing with each consecutive pickup from that biome) and the odds resetting once you pick up from a different biome though it would make some people v. annoyed.

I know this probably won't be a popular idea, but I'd prefer something like "you have to have at least two aquatic hatchlings growing on your scroll to access the extra coast biome" or something that requires you to interact with the game if you want to open up the extra biome. I have a feeling a lot of people will say this will affect their play style, but frankly, you don't have to access any of these extra biomes or anything. tongue.gif

Surprisingly, I like this idea too. Something has to be done to unlock the biome, but it's not something that will affect your scroll apart from using some egg slots [and hatchling slots], since you can abandon the hatchlings rather than letting them grow up. Although maybe a bronze trophy requirement too, just so newbies can get the hang of things before this new complexity is added.

I don't mind the having X number of hatchies on the scroll thing either. I don't think it makes quite as much sense from a RP perspective, but I'm willing to sacrifice it in the aim of fairness.

I also agree it might be a good idea to wait until a bronze trophy is added, due to complexity (since part of the suggestion was that this would keep newbies by being utterly overwhelmed by the sheer number of breeds), but I think that might bring up the claims of elitism again.

Elitism for a bronze trophy? Really, it doesn't take long at all to get bronze, and anyone who doesn't have bronze has tons of dragons that they don't have on their scroll yet to raise.

Elitism for a bronze trophy? Really, it doesn't take long at all to get bronze, and anyone who doesn't have bronze has tons of dragons that they don't have on their scroll yet to raise.

Personally, I don't think its a problem, but others might. We'll need to see.

A Bronze does not feel like elitism *g*

Having to have certain kinds of hatchlings growing at all times to keep a exclusive biome unlocked for you? Not sure I like that, as it again, forces people to do something different from their usual playstyle, even if it is only temporary and the hatchies can be abandoned.

I'm also having difficulty accepting it from a RP stand point. Best I could come up with is that it is a magical place only a hatchling can open the 'door' to. However, I would foresee many people acting 'ungrateful' by dumping the hatchlings once they caught what they needed. That doesn't sound very nice (though I would admittedly do that myself, especially if it is a breed I don't need any more of).

However, I would foresee many people acting 'ungrateful' by dumping the hatchlings once they caught what they needed.  That doesn't sound very nice (though I would admittedly do that myself, especially if it is a breed I don't need any more of).

Well... unlike many eggs, hatchlings get picked up from the AP as soon as they show up.

Edited by _Sin_