_Z_

Notice Regarding Trading Harassment

I've only seen harassment happen once, in regards to Connacht, my shimmer. Told a kid the breeding list was full and he responded with a cuss word, demanding to know what other people had offered in return.

Should have told him that it was politeness and he obviously would not be able to offer you that. Well, that's what the blocking option is for.

But, to the rescue of the DC community - I have never been harrassed, and when people sent me a PM, it was always nicely worded, even when clearly english was not the first language.

I have a strange feeling you guys are going to be swamped and up to your eyeballs in reports. I think you'll get reports if someone says boo from now on. lol *tosses out bottles of aspirin*

Members should feel free to pm mods anytime. I do believe you are under estimating members, and their ability to comprehend what is considered trading harassment.

I honestly hope this does not mean automatic "warnings". Just because someone is having a bad day outside of DC, and is overly sensitive, does not mean someone else deserves a warning.

Just saying.

I honestly hope this does not mean automatic "warnings". Just because someone is having a bad day outside of DC, and is overly sensitive, does not mean someone else deserves a warning.

Just saying.

The mods here are fair, if a situation is brought to their attention they aren't going to warn someone just because the person who reported it felt spiteful or because they were overly sensitive to something that was harmless. Each and every situation is unique and takes consideration.

*demands everyone breeds her a holly x gold dragon..... NOW!!!*

xd.png

Seriously... If someone says "no, can't do that right now" or "sorry, I'm not breeding that dragon"... People should learn to live with it. Plenty of others who will breed on request.

I have multiple dragons that I'll never breed.. they're 'dragons born to the wrong gender' (male dragon body, female dragon mind stuff).. and it would just go against them as individual pixel dragons to make them do something they don't wanna do. ^^

Just saying.

Members will be required to provide evidence to back up their claim of harassment. As with any pm complaint.

We had a professor at my old school whose class was required, that was somewhat notorious.

He would ask any attractive female student if she wanted to go out.

Several reacted by saying they'd sue for harassment because he asked them out.

The answer to that was, he's allowed to ask. It is only harassment if he continues after you turned him down or made an effort to make you feel uncomfortable. Many didn't like that answer, but that is how it was legally. Tone didn't matter. Only repeated contact after being told to stop.

Surely there must have been university conduct rules because I can't imagine that a professor who gets to grade his students can be allowed to ask them out. So while it might noit have been harressment, it must have been against a code of conduct or something.

nope. Guy dressed like (what's his face) the mathematician in Jurassic Park. Was very well known to everyone. If he'd offered them A's then yes, but he didn't. Though for the record I agree it was nuts.

Jeff Goldblum. But ey, it's ridiculous. If someone who grades you asks you out, there is always the inherent pressure ("oh, it'll be a C instead of a B"). Actually, I think the only thing the yellow press is good for is to make things like that known. Public outroar usually has some effect on universities who need their reputation to raise funds...

I think Vhales' point is, that it's not harassment to ask, it only becomes harassment if you persist when the answer is NO

We might feel that it is wrong/unethical/rude/whatever to PM new prize winners with requests and they may feel harassed, but harassment only really begins when it happens repeatedly by the same person after a NO has been given, or a public request to STOP pm's( in a signature)

I've never been bold enough to PM asking for 2nd gens from special dragons- especially after a very rude brush off from a CB Holly owner who ASSUMED that I wanted a Holly and didn't even read my PM.

So no low gen tinsel and I don't expect a Shimmer either but meh. I dislike the prize giving process, but I'm not in charge--

but I can understand why a winner would drop their prize.

manners goes a long way, but when people want something bad enough common sense and training get put aside--

it's too bad that the community needs to be reminded like this , but I am also of the opinion that the people that this is aimed at do not see themselves as guilty.

Just saying, I have to agree with Dragonpuck with. "it's too bad that the community needs to be reminded like this, but I am also of the opinion that the people that this is aimed at do not see themselves as guilty."

My experience has been people who harass seldom see themselves in that role. Maybe they're just used to having their way.

I was always taught no meant no and accept that with as much grace as I can. (Does not mean I won't be sad.)

Its aimed at those who are guilty, and if are reported then will realise the error of their ways and hopefully they'll understand and everything can be well and nice. At least this is my dream <3

it's passions that flare sometimes, and people can be passionate about things.

Where vhale's point is quite an intersting example. If a person has a notice of not to be pmed for stuff, on their scroll, profile, sig wherever, then that notice should be respected. It's a preemptive n o.

Yes, my poor eyes are bleeeeeeding, Star! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

On a more serious note:

Harassment is not something that you can report if you have no hard proof. If all you have is "he said, she said" but nothing to back it up - then the mod/op cannot do much.

So yes, always save any pms, irc logs, or if it's in a thread - screenie shots of it. (People can delete posts, so hence, screenie shots.)

And I echo what Star said:

The users need to be confident in the mods running the forum in order for the forum to be run smoothly. Without that confidence in the mods, the forum would quickly implode and become another dead forum. Same goes for the irc - the users need to feel confidence in their Ops or there will be chaos.

Now, I know a lot of you don't feel like you can trust the mods or ops and that is sad.

Yes, some of the mods and ops tend to be heavy-handed at times. But I'd prefer that over mods and ops that glossed over things that should be acted upon.

So before you go "I don't like that mod/op because she's SO heavy handed! She kicks before even doing a verbal pm first to get my side!" - think about the hard work these mods/ops put in, in order to keep things running so nicely that you barely notice anything happening behind the curtain.

So before you go "I don't like that mod/op because she's SO heavy handed! She kicks before even doing a verbal pm first to get my side!" - think about the hard work these mods/ops put in, in order to keep things running so nicely that you barely notice anything happening behind the curtain.

Honestly, I have a hard time thinking about this, for the very reason that I've been kicked in the past.

The sting of the pain I've gotten in the past far outweighs any sympathy I might have for the difficulty of their job.

I don't, for the life of me, see why I should be expected to go to someone I don't trust if I have an issue with someone (as opposed to trying to solve the problem myself like I was taught from day one was something I HAD to do), when the statistics of my past experiences with mods tell me I'm just going to get smacked upside the head.

That's just me, of course.

Honestly, I have a hard time thinking about this, for the very reason that I've been kicked in the past.

The sting of the pain I've gotten in the past far outweighs any sympathy I might have for the difficulty of their job.

I don't, for the life of me, see why I should be expected to go to someone I don't trust if I have an issue with someone (as opposed to trying to solve the problem myself like I was taught from day one was something I HAD to do), when the statistics of my past experiences with mods tell me I'm just going to get smacked upside the head.

That's just me, of course.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were more people who felt this way.

It's not only JUST the user base that has to trust their mods and ops. The mods and ops have to EARN the trust of the user base, as well.

It's a two way road here. Not an one way road.

But the user base also has to earn the trust of the mods and ops, as well.

There have been many trolls over the years, people who like to stir up dramas, etc.

So once again - two way road here.

I think Vhales' point is, that it's not harassment to ask, it only becomes harassment if you persist when the answer is NO

We might feel that it is wrong/unethical/rude/whatever to PM new prize winners with requests and they may feel harassed, but harassment only really begins when it happens repeatedly by the same person after a NO has been given, or a public request to STOP pm's( in a signature)

Exactly.

And yes, that actor!

Anyone concerned about the mods should be cheered that there is a new Ask-a-Mod section. I likes it.

Anyone concerned about the mods should be cheered that there is a new Ask-a-Mod section. I likes it.

I asked TJ a question, and Sock a question, then I thought better of asking anything else.

That's how bad my fear is. :c

We've tried to improve the communications with users, which is why this thread is in existence. it tells users if there is a problem, come to those who have the power, and authority to assist. We want to let users know that we are there for them if there is a problem that the user feels they need help with.

We cannot condone vigilante type behaviour or vengeance or hot arguments to continue or else the forums can become an unpleasant place rapidly.

Also as a child, I was taught that if there was a problem, to talk to an adult, a teacher, a parent or even a police officer. I was taught to trust authority. I knew that is there was ever a problem there was someone I could talk to. I did this if the problem did not go away if Ignored it. (I have long since learned ignoring doesn't usually work)

When it came to a point of me against people of authority, such as the meddlesome nature of my first highschool's teachers, I realised I had to take the reigns and look to go to a different school.

If you are curious about what was so bad, the teachers kept bugging me to wear girly girl clothes, wear makeup, act like a girl. I actually did get into significant arguments with them. the person I had turned to for help was my mother and we discussed a change of environment was needed. I was unsure what their issue was about dressing more male-like but I was happy and I did not cause trouble to anyone.

As an adult, having left highschool nearly two decades ago, I still have people I can turn to if I need assistance.

This is why, even though I can be locked off and sometimes hard to approach, I will not turn away a person who needs help. If I feel a person is in distress I may inquire what is wrong and see if something can be done through myself or redirect them to someone else who is more able to assist.

I do not believe that fighting is an answer as I was taught as a child two wrongs to not make a right. On the forums we have a set of rules or guidelines that need to be followed and it does not allow for squabbling between users. Maybe a good well thought out debate.

But in the end if two users have very set minds in their way of thinking it's best to agree to disagree.

You can agree to disagree with me on this, but the fact of the matter is: If there is a problem on forums, talk to staff, do not take matters into your own hands, you'll run the risk of getting yourself hurt as a result.

Edited by Starscream

I've stayed out of this because I can't imagine people going so crazy over pixels-- and then I remind myself that I've been LONGING for such a dragon (rather Chinese-looking in a way) and thought "I wonder if I offered cash...." LOL! But to continually nag someone? I seriously don't understand that sort of behavior.

I also see the fine-line here, what constitutes nagging? I've found myself PMing some people more than once because of their WANTING an egg, and then not replying once I've made the link so they can claim it. I guess that could be construed as harassing to the thinking of some.

im surprised people were doing this D= hopefully it hasnt been many. i feel bad for the people that have been harrased as well

I asked TJ a question, and Sock a question, then I thought better of asking anything else.

That's how bad my fear is. :c

Unfortunately, TJ seldom responds to pms, even when he does take action. And sometimes the individual mods are so caught up in RL issues, they aren't even here or able to get to us when we try to contact them. It's not their fault if they are ill, have exams or are preoccupied when we try to contact them. I have had times when I tried to contact a mod and found their pm box full. I have also seen them with "Sorry, for reasons beyond my control, I won't be available for a while." in their sigs. There are usually mods around that one can go to, but just because a pm may have gone unanswered, don't think they don't care. Things do happen even to them.

It's not their fault if they are ill, have exams or are preoccupied when we try to contact them.

Exams: check had a midterm

Ill: I'll classify my mild concussion as ill.

Pre-occupied? Always.

The questions he was referring to was the ask a mod section. http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showforum=38

the userbase can ask us questions and we can answer them. It can be all in good fun :3

Exams: check had a midterm

Ill: I'll classify my mild concussion as ill.

Pre-occupied? Always.

The questions he was referring to was the ask a mod section. http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showforum=38

the userbase can ask us questions and we can answer them. It can be all in good fun :3

Well, that forum, especially TJ's thread moves very quickly. It's easy for a post to get lost. I repeated a question there, myself, before it was noticed. When someone checks in on their thread and several pages have been added since they last looked, a lot can be missed. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to repeat my question there.

Ty! I mean I wasnt hurrassing or being harassed but I mean, its good to know problems like these are instantly taken care of. smile.gif