_Z_

Notice Regarding Trading Harassment

No, unless you attempt to pm them, you will get no notice. If you never try to contact them, you will never know.

A quick question: how do you know that someone has blocked you (besides PMing)? Do you get a notice, or something?

you likely won't know unless questions directed to them are not answered.

We have a /ignore function in irc and urge users to use it if they are being offended/bothered by users. However, using /ignore can give you some very strange experiences at viewing one sided conversations. I will stress that doing /ignore to staff be it an op or hop is very bad because if you do not see them asking you to stop doing what it is you are doing, you could be banned and completely oblivious to the why.

Think of it as call blocking on a phone. you may still get a ring ring ring, but no one will answer.

you likely won't know unless questions directed to them are not answered.

We have a /ignore function in irc and urge users to use it if they are being offended/bothered by users. However, using /ignore can give you some very strange experiences at viewing one sided conversations. I will stress that doing /ignore to staff be it an op or hop is very bad because if you do not see them asking you to stop doing what it is you are doing, you could be banned and completely oblivious to the why.

Think of it as call blocking on a phone. you may still get a ring ring ring, but no one will answer.

I agree with Starscream. Though often if you call someone on an phone it will say something along the lines of the person not being able to be reached, if you tried to text them you will get a return message saying that your message was sent back due to the number blocking you or it being blocked from you. I've had the message part happen to me.

It is sad to see that a thread like this is necessary!

But there is something else mentioned here that is making me a little bit sad, too. Not every gift that is sent to a Tinsel or Shimmer owner is made because of hidden thoughts behind it. Most people here are very polite and generous and are not doing favours to others because they are expecting something in return. It would be a shame if the reason of every glomp-gift or gifting because of reading signatures would be questioned in such a negative way. It would lead to a situation in that all the winners would be excluded from an awesome part of this game because people are afraid to get into contact with them, because gifts could be misunderstood.

But there is something else mentioned here that is making me a little bit sad, too. Not every gift that is sent to a Tinsel or Shimmer owner is made because of hidden thoughts behind it. Most people here are very polite and generous and are not doing favours to others because they are expecting something in return. It would be a shame if the reason of every glomp-gift or gifting because of reading signatures would be questioned in such a negative way. It would lead to a situation in that all the winners would be excluded from an awesome part of this game because people are afraid to get into contact with them, because gifts could be misunderstood.

Simple gifting is good. But some winners reported being handed multiple things like low gen golds, silvers and similar stuff from just one person. Immediately after they posted in threads. I seriously doubt it that anyone would give that much for just a random glomp.

I think most of us understand that it is really a very small percentage that behave this way. Unfortunately, with as large a membership as we have even a small overall percentage can overwhelm a small number of people like the prize winners.

If someone with wishes in their signature gets a gift, that's nice. If they later get a demand for repayment, they can turn to the mods for assistance. Hopefully if those this is happening to do report, the offenders will get the message and this type of behavior will be reduced.

I have seen a sweet, nice prize owner so harassed that she left the forum. She begged to be left alone to no avail. She was going through some pretty heavy RL stuff and the non stop harassing just got too much sad.gif

She is not the only one. I have heard countless horror stories. I'm glad this thread is here, hopefully the 2012 prize owners will have more fun with their prizes

Tinsel Breedin List: Closed. For good.

~Censor evasion removed~ happens...

And I warned about it... Couple of times...

Edited by _Z_

I'm with the mods - no Hall of Shame -

Politeness goes a LONG way. 

Hall of Shames a bit much and seems rather difficult to maintain due to several reasons. Users disliking another user and lying, Someone saying they will breed you a egg as a IOU and the egg no producing quickly enough and the user getting annoyed. Things like this could be abused and make it so others no longer wish to trade with people who could be good on there word.

You are correct politeness does indeed go a long way in trades.

Simple gifting is good. But some winners reported being handed multiple things like low gen golds, silvers and similar stuff from just one person. Immediately after they posted in threads. I seriously doubt it that anyone would give that much for just a random glomp.

That depends on the view of the gifter. For people who have everything on their scroll they want to collect value is not important anymore. Do not get me wrong I only wanted to say that not every gift is made because people wnat to get something in return. Most people know that a gift is a gift.

Edited by drabrugon

That depends on the view of the gifter. For people who have everything on their scroll they want to collect value is not important anymore. Do not get me wrong I only wanted to say that not every gift is made because people wnat to get something in return. Most people know that a gift is a gift.

Yea. I remember telling the person who was getting those eggs that it might just be a generous person. But if that person suddenly turned around and asked for an egg, she had every right to say no. Just because someone gifted her all those eggs, doesn't mean she owed them an egg. Which is what a few other people reminded her about as well.

Don't let people guilt trip you. xd.png

"But I bred all of my metals for you. sad.gif"

The second someone pulls that, they need to be blocked. Because I see what they did there. >:U

Edited by Lyxii

Lyxii=> I see what these people do too. "Hey, I'm a genius! I'm gonna make him/her feel guilty for not giving me a gift back!"

Yeaaaaaah I think that kind of sums up the objectives of some of these.

I guess I've been lucky - I will generally agree to breed if requested (nicely) as my metallics are generally fairly cooperative but on the rare occasions I have said no its always been accepted gracefully.

Having said that I'd have no problem with immediately blocking any user who did try and harass me.

I agree that it's only a small percentage of DC players that carry things way too far but if you're on the receiving end of it it can be quite distressful. The moderators are the only ones that can handle this when and, if it occurs, definitely should be reported to them and let them handle the situation. I only had one such encounter and was quite taken aback that the player kept asking for eggs off my scroll and wanting to trade where I had no interest. I politely declined several times..eventually they took the hint and backed off but I assume not all cases are so easily resolved.

I was just wondering, thinking back to how my dad codes everything... what if there was someone with a public blacklist that was coded? Like say... perhaps something kinda like this- (And I'm just taking four random names of people I see viewing the forums right now, so don't worry if one of them happens to be you. happy.gif)

*blacklist*

And what those codes really means is

*blacklist*

Misha

siliconrose

Juujinx

albinosilver

Because technically that is a public blacklist, though people may not know how to decipher it. (I took user numbers, by the way...)

Mods have already explained that the consequences for another user is unnecessary to know and rude to share. Public blacklists will create unnecessary trouble and will not be used. Leave cave and forum consequences to mods/TJ. Let's please move onto another subject. You may PM a mod if you are unclear on our reasoning. Thank you!

I don't buy it. I really don't. But that's just me. If I won a prize dragon here, and suddenly, out of nowhere, everybody and their brother decided to get really nice and started sending me golds, silvers, I'm already wondering what your motive is.

If I won the multi million dollar lottery, and all of a sudden neighbors...and long lost aunts, brothers, uncles, cousins, etc... that didn't say two words to me before, and never felt any need to be all that nice, suddenly came out of the woodwork, smiling and bearing gifts, as far as I'm concerned, I've got your number, even if that's not your intent because to me , from my perspective, you've got 'ulterior motive' written all over you.

If I accept those gifts, there's an unspoken 'understanding', even if it's only by the long lost cousin, that something 'nice' in return is expected...sooner or later. It's not said. It's implied by accepting the gift, at least, to me it is. It's universal that if someone does something nice for you, well, you return the favor if you can, right? If someone PM'd me without a gift and said, hey, great job, congrats, and that was that, then maybe they'd be credible in my eyes and maybe I'd get the idea they really meant it. But start sending gifts? Forget it.

If I got 1000 gifts from all those beautiful, selfless, kind, generous players that didn't know I existed before I won the grand prize...that's a guarantee that they just didn't get an egg. lol

Ah, but I'm a cynical old dog, so.... smile.gif

Edited by MedievalMystic

lol I guess I don't see all this gift giving to prize winners as being all that 'nice', I see it as a form of pressure...light pressure, soft, airy pressure...but pressure nonetheless, even if that's not the person's intent. To me, that's simply how it comes off. Not everyone on the site is going to take the 'gift after win' thing the same way.

Edited by MedievalMystic

Ah, but I'm a cynical old dog, so.... smile.gif

You and me both. wink.gif

Even if it's explicitly stated that the giver doesn't expect anything in return, it still has that 'networking' feeling--like trying to get in good with the kid who has the best toys, on the off-chance that he'll think of you when he gets two Millennium Falcons for Christmas. (Ooh, I date myself.)

It's not bullying or harassment, but it would make me look askance at the person. Besides, if a prize winner is already drowning under a tsunami of PMs offering the sun and moon in trade, how different are your free (no pressure, no obligation, just keep me in mind) sun and moon really going to seem?

MedievalMystic, Ol' buddy, ol' pal, ol' friend.... long time no see.... I been meaning to come by, but with work, y'know...and here's that fiver I owe you...

so, shat's happening lately, anything new?

OH, you won the Mega Million Lottery prize? I didn't know that, well, well, well... It couldn't happen to a nicer, more kindly, more GENEROUS person...

Btw, I sent you a LOT of flowers in the Valentine thingy, y'know...

Well, take care, be good and I'll be seeing you, I promise not to let so much time pass by in the future...

Your very good friend,

Husky

Note:

You'd just love to get a message like this, wouldn't you... lol

(now if you actually DID win, by chance, remember me) lol

I'm sorry MM, I couldn't resist writing the above. rolleyes.gif People like that infuriate the heck out of me...

===========================================

TO EVERYONE: this is a very serious subject and the mood seemed rather heavy in some of the past few posts, so being what I am, I have tried to introduce a little lightness in here.

Edited by Husky51

lol I guess I don't see all this gift giving to prize winners as being all that 'nice', I see it as a form of pressure...light pressure, soft, airy pressure...but pressure nonetheless, even if that's not the person's intent. To me, that's simply how it comes off. Not everyone on the site is going to take the 'gift after win' thing the same way.

I'd take it exactly the same way so I know what you mean. and lol Husky!

I was happy that I gave a thank you gift to one of the prize winners before they got one. Because I've procrastinated doing just that for a long time. I'd made up my mind that I needed to not be greedy given that I have 7 egg slots and do some nice gifting to people that have helped me. If I had waited, I'd never have felt right gifting them anything because I'd always have felt like they'd think I was just after their prize dragon than giving them a genuine thank you. It's been a bit of a wake up call to me to get busy and make sure I am giving out glomp gifts when I think of it instead of just putting it off for whenever.

They are all just pixel dragons. If you want to gift someone you think is nice, don't keep putting it off!

I feel I have to add to this in a positive. I have never had anyone harass or be rude to me on the forums. Quite the opposite, Extremely polite and often very generous.

I thought I should just add that. smile.gif

And yet I can't help but feel that prize winners keep track of who gives them things and will refuse to trade/gift an egg to anyone who hasn't given them anything as tribute.

That's why I don't bother with 2nd gen. prizes...because I'm apparently not a decent enough person to be gifted one (i. e. not gushing with congratulations at prize winners or giving them boatloads of shinies), and would never be able to afford to trade for one.

But anyway...

I personally don't mind if people ask me to breed for them, because it's nice that people want me to do something besides walk off a cliff around here. And I'm not so petty as to keep a blacklist of people I don't like and go telling all my buddies that so-and-so is a terrible person and they should never trade with them.

Honestly, I find it sad that people apparently DO tell others who not to trade with. High school all over again.

Edited by Derranged