lycrawaterz14

Of Slaves and Royals

“Of course, Sir,” Ella said, but as she watched him go to the bed she was both concerned and confused by his apology. She wasn’t sure that she liked the idea of him being alone, but she’d clearly been dismissed so she didn’t really have a choice. “I’ll inform you when dinner’s ready,” she said as she headed for the door, but then she stopped midway through closing the door. Glancing to his form on the bed, she found herself saying, “And Sir…you have nothing to apologize for.” Lowering her head in shame for such presumptuousness, she finished closing the door.

Hoping the he wouldn’t come after her in anger, she returned to the kitchen with the bottle of alcohol still in her hand. Absently setting the bottle on the table, she turned to Rachel and said, “Uh, Master Tybalt said that whatever you can find for vegetables will be fine…” Her expression turned somber as she added, “And I’m sorry that I scared you. It’s jus-I have one primary duty,” she waved her hand at the bottle, “and I’m afraid I’m not very good at it…” Biting her bottom lip as she thought for a moment, she then gave a heavy sigh and said, “Thanks again for the excuse there. You were great.”

~~~~~~~

Isabeth raised her head off the floor a bit when she heard Alec yell at their captors. She actually had mixed feelings about his attempts to defend her, but as he continued to challenge them, she knew he was only going to make things worse. Shut up, Alexander, she thought as she lowered her head back to the floor, and if she could have seen where he was, she would have kicked or nudged him. However, when she heard the whip being used, she raised her head again. He can’t do that to my slave! …Only I can do that to my slave, she thought, but hidden with overall terror and the anger of someone damaging her property there was also something more, and though she wouldn’t admit it it almost felt like…concern.

The man who’d put the bag over Isabeth’s head, looked at the slave and said, “Boss ain’t gonna like him bleeding on the floor…” Of course, he made no move to stop the bleeding.

Tybalt smiled at her soothing comment and started to drift off. Ella was a kind slave... She reminded him of his father's favorite servant, Angelica... She was assigned as his nurse, and had practically raised him.

Angelica was shot with his father. Tybalt's mother never particularly cared for him, but Angelica raised him from the time he was born until she died. She was even included in a lot of family portraits... There was one in the living room, which the intruders had spared. His father and mother were in the center, a four-year old Tybalt inbetween him, and Angelica to his father's left. Another male servant was to his mother's right, but he worked out on their property, and his mother more interacted with him. Tybalt didn't even remember his name. He had been stolen from a gang that was unhappy with his father.

<><><><><><><><><><>

"Boss isn't going to care about that. The girl was our main priority." The guy eyed the driver. "How long until we're there?" He barked the driver looked back. "About forty minutes."

Edited by lycrawaterz14

Rachel was already adding spices to the meat when Ella returned. She quickly wiped her hands on a rag and turned to face her, eyes wide as she gazed at the bottle. Now everything made sense. And poor Ella had to deal with it all? She came over and hugged her automatically. "It's okay," she said softly, "I'm fine. Don't worry about me. Just keep the master okay." She let go after a moment and went to get vegetables.

(( I do not like ice storms.. Recap please? ^^;; Here's the response Chibi :3 ))

The seller thought for a moment. He did not want to be stuck with Thorne and shrugged. "That will work." he said and grinned. "Just let me get something for you to take her back with." he said as he went over to get a chain and collar for Thorne.

Thorne fidgeted lightly in her cage and was nervous.

Ella relaxed a little when Rachel hugged her, but at Rachel’s words, Ella smiled but gave a small shake of her head. At that time, she didn’t see how she could not worry about the younger girl, but she didn’t want to risk upsetting her so she didn’t mention that as she said, “I’m trying, Rachel…I’m trying.” But I don’t know how, she added silently. With another sigh, she pushed those thoughts aside and said, “So, anything you need me to do?”

~~~~~~~

When Isabeth heard the men talking about Alec bleeding, and that they didn’t seem to be doing anything to stop it, she started to struggle as she said, “You’d better do something about that! I just got him and-” Well, that was what they would have heard were it not for the tape on her mouth.

As it was, all they could make out was garbled mumbling which the bag man cut off by grabbing the bag and a handful of her hair. He pulled up on her hair just enough to cause pain without doing any harm, and in a menacing tone said, “Now, now. No trouble outta you or you’ll get what he got.”

She was released with a small shove, and that was enough to scare her into surrender. Lowering her head to the floor again, she tried to curl into a ball as her breathing became hitched from trying not to cry.

Rachel glanced over her shoulder at Ella as she asked if she could help, giving her a small smile. "Could you get the bowl on the top shelf of the cabinet? I'm not tall enough to do it without having everything crash down on top of me," she asked.

"Can you try not to kill her?! If she busts her little rich head it'll get taken out of our hide." The man hissed.

“Sure thing,” Ella said, and reaching to the shelf in question, she asked, “Just the one bowl, or do you need two?”

~~~~~~~

“She don’t need to know that,” the bag man whispered to the other man. “’Sides, no harm done.”

Isabeth, however, had retreated back into a terror induced haze, and was too busy trying to convince herself that this wasn’t actually happening, and so didn’t hear what the men were saying. This isn’t real, she said to herself. It’s just a horrible nightmare, and when I wake up I’ll be at home and it’ll be my birthday…This is simply not happening. She kept repeating that over and over in the hopes that it would cause her to wake up.

"Two please. I think broccoli would go nicely with this, and some carrots," Rachel decided, kneading spices into the hamburger meat. It felt good to be cooking again.

Alec

He sat there terrified. "Isabeth are you alright... Mumble once for yes and twice for no. Also be honest about it." He said hoping she would be able to speak up.

Ella pulled down the two bowls, and then grabbed the vegetables. Setting everything on the counter, she watched Rachel for a moment, and found herself wondering about the younger girl’s past. How had she learned to cook so young? Did she have any family? Of course, she knew that the subject could be a touchy one, so without another word, she started to clean and chop the veggies.

~~~~~~~

Isabeth was still trying to convince herself that this was a dream, so when she heard Alec, she just closed her eyes as she shook her head and tried to curl in on herself. She then realized that he had called her by her name, and figured that since he wouldn’t actually do that, this must be a dream and any second now Thor was going to rip the door off the van and whisk her away to safety. Yep, she thought in desperation, any second now…Please!

Moulding the beef into a loaf shape on the tray, she sprinkled more spices over it before going to the oven. It was already preheated so she slid it into the oven, them went to wash her hands at the sink. Cooking was always comforting.

Tybalt heard them banging around cooking and woke up a bit. He was drowsy, but listened to them happily. It was nice to have someone in the house.

Ella was still chopping the vegetables when she heard Rachel put the pan in the oven. “So,” she said as she glanced at the girl for a moment before looking back to what she was doing, “what’s next?”

Rachel dried her hands and came over, looking over her progress and nodding approval. "We need to steam them. It isn't hard- really all you need is a little water in the base of each, and then you microwave them."

“All right,” Ella said with a nod as she brought the broccoli bowl to the sink, and after putting a splash of water in the bowl, she held it out to Rachel. “Here you go.”

Rachel took the bowl with a smile and a murmured thanks, turning to the microwave and then stopping. She couldn't really read, so she'd memorized which symbol combinations took the longest and shortest. So, she put the bowl in and pressed several of the numbers until it read 5:00, knowing that was how long it took merely as a rule of thumb.

Since she’d never used a microwave, Ella watched Rachel with interest for a moment, but then went back to the sink to put some water in the carrot bowl. Setting that bowl near the microwave, she went to the cupboards to get some dishes. Once she opened the cupboard, she hesitated briefly as she debated whether or not she should be getting some for Rachel and her as well. However, she thought that it seemed like she should, so she got out three sets of dishes and set them on the counter until she found out where Tybalt wanted them to eat.

Tybalt wandered in, taking the plates and setting them around the island in the kitchen. "Hey. That smells really good..." He smiled at Rachel. "You really can cook, huh?"

Rachel was putting the next bowl into the microwave when Tybalt spoke. She turned her head with a shy smile, quickly swapping them out. She figured boiling the vegetables would take too long, and this was an old trick she'd learned from another slave. "I suppose so... I'm not big enough for hard labor so this is what I'm used to," she answered.

"Well it's a neat little skill... What's on the oven?" He took the bowl and set it on the island in the middle. It was like he had a family again, full chairs and plates at almost every place...

"Meatloaf sir," Rachel answered, opening the oven door to check on it. "It's about done too," she added, adding serving spoons to the bowls of vegetables. It felt good to be accepted and praised for what she was good at.