lycrawaterz14

Of Slaves and Royals

Rachel nodded and sniffled, wiping at her eyes and getting herself under control again. She shouldn't have done that- but it was nice. "I will. Thank you sir," she replied, returning to her seat and looking at Ella sheepishly.

Tybalt just smiled and took his own tea. He took one sip and promptly burnt his tongue like an idiot. He played it off though.

At the look that Rachel gave her, Ella simply gave a small smile as she slid one of the cups to the younger girl. Taking her cup, she watched Tybalt take his first sip and recognizing the 'burned tongue' expression, she gently blew across her tea before taking her first sip. Her brows furrowed a bit as the flavor hit her tongue; she wasn’t quite sure what to think of it.

Tybalt took a more cautious sip this time and nodded a little. That was perfect. Rachel still hadn't dipped into the candy...? She seemed really excited about it. Tybalt kept eating his meal, happy about this. Rachel was an excellent cook and Ella was more maternal than even his own mother had been. Ella was most like... Tybalt felt a twinge in his heart as he thought of the slave that had raised him more than his own mother. He... Loved her. More than his mother.

Rachel blew on her tea and carefully sipped, finding it t be very tasteful. Her eyes wandered back to the candy she'd dropped, and for a moment she hesitated. She didn't want to cross a line but he had already offered it, so slowly she picked it up, unwrapping the candy and glancing to Tybalt questioningly.

Tybalt just smiled at flipped though a magazine on the island. It was nice to have people around, even if they were a little intimidated at first.

When Tybalt nodded after his second sip, Ella felt a small surge of relief as she took another sip. She knew there really wasn’t anything she could have done to mess up the tea, but it was always a relief to have some confirmation that she’d done right. Taking a third sip, she found the tea to be…interesting, and she set the cup down to continue eating as well. She had noticed Rachel’s apprehension in taking the candy, but since it wasn’t her place to give permission to eat it, she said nothing even though she felt pretty sure it would be okay.

"So... Are you two liking it here so far?" He asked cautiously. He didn't want them to mention the attack. But that had been a large portion of their day...

Rachel slowly popped the candy into her mouth, and was so happy she did afterwards. The taste was amazing- she'd never had anything like it. So sweet yet slightly fruity! The slave didn't dare crunch it, wanting to savor it by sucking on the treat. "Its nice here," she said softly. It was homey, safe.

Knowing that slaves weren’t supposed to have likes or dislikes, Ella was confused by the question and her expression showed her confusion as she said, “Of-” She had been about to just automatically agree, but he had earlier said he didn’t want her to do that, so she stopped to really think about the question. Though she did agree with Rachel, she felt that it was also frightening there. However, she had been allowed more leniencies and shown far more kindness in the two days that she’d been there than she’d known in her entire life with her former masters. Plus, she’d been reunited with her brother, and that trumped all other things. All-in-all, she found that for the most part, she was liking it there. “Of course, Sir,” she said with sincerity.

"I... I'm glad you two like it here." He smiled, genuine, yet shy. He shouldn't by pleasure from making his slaves happy, but there it was. He was fond of these girls.

Ella didn’t understand why he would care whether or not they like it there, so she wasn’t sure what to think of Tybalt’s response. However, there was something in his smile that was reassuring… as though it was okay to like it there – okay to be happy – and she gave a shy smile of her own as she said, “Thank you, Sir.” Of course, the voice in the back of her mind choose that moment to remind her that slaves didn’t deserve to feel that or be treated so kindly, and she knew it was right. Lowering her gaze to her plate, she took another small bite as her ears started to turn pink.

Tybalt yawned quietly, holding a fist to his mouth. "I'm kinda getting tired... Is it... Alright if a I stay in your room? I... I've had a real-" his voice broke. "I don't want to make you two uncomfortable, but I really don't want to be alone. Not again."

Rachel had finished the candy and was quietly sipping her tea, listening to the conversation contently. Even though she was still tired and couldn't do anything without having a panic attack, she finally felt happy. Enough so that Tybalt's request didn't bother her. "I don't mind," she said softly.

((Umm... Not meaning to be nit-picky here, but I’m a little confused. Rachel and Ella had their own rooms before, but are sharing a room now?))

(I thought they shared one, GAH I'M SO CONFUSED ONE SEC will edit

*edit there's an armored one and a spare room, he asked if they both minded sharing until he got them both armored. It was worded when I was tired and half asleep though.)

Edited by lycrawaterz14

((Okay, I can work with that smile.gif . Sorry about that, but sometimes I can overlook inconsistencies while other times they’re jarring (for lack of a better word).

On a side note, Happy New Year everyone! In keeping with my resolution, I’m going try not to stay up too late…not going very well though. wink.gif ))

When Tybalt asked if he could stay in their room, Ella faltered briefly on the bite she’d been chewing. Though she quickly recovered, she slowly finished the bite to give her time to think; it’d be rude to speak with her mouth full. As the thought about the request, she was once again confused as to why he’d ask when he could just tell them he was, but she also found that she was grateful that he did ask. Even if it was just for show, she found that the pretense that she could say no to be reassuring, and she realized that she was more afraid of what she might say in her sleep than she was of him. When he pleaded with her, she felt that he seemed to need her to say it was okay, and looking toward him with a small smile that was only slightly forced, she quietly said, “Of course, Sir.” Just please forgive me for anything I might say, she added silently.

(BWAHA! Same here. I have to stay up late. I've tried going back to sleeping earlier, but I can't.)

Tybalt nodded, and sighed in relief. "I just... I don't know what would happen if I was alone." He mumbled.

At Tybalt’s comment, Ella realized that what might happen is that he’d wind up in the winery. “Of course, Sir,” she said in an understanding tone, and she was already planning the sleeping arrangements; Tybalt and Rachel would sleep on the beds and she’d sleep on the floor. However, she then remembered the bottle that she’d left on the table and she silently berated herself for not immediately putting it away. She knew that looking at it would only draw attention to it, so she forced herself not to look at the bottle as she tried to figure out what, if anything, to do about it. Coming up with something that might work to get it out of sight without being too obvious she asked, “Are you done eating, Sir?”

"Um..." He removed the meat from the grizzle and ate that. "Yes. I'm probably going to eat all of those vegetables though. Save them for tomorrow." He nodded.

Alec

He didn't know what to do so he stood there. (Because I didn't feel like reading the posts...) Alec looked at Isabeth and then at the woman who was in charge of all of this.

“Of course, Sir,” Ella said to Tybalt and as she started to gather his and her plates, she gave Rachel a questioning look to see if the younger girl was done as well. With the dishes piled in one hand, she casually veered to grab the bottle from the table on her way to the sink. After setting the dishes down by the sink, she put the bottle in the pantry, and then pulled out some bowls for the leftovers. As she worked, she kept her face neutral in hopes of making it seem like including the bottle of alcohol in the clean up was only natural.

"Oh- yes," Rachel said quickly, flustered. She had just sat there and let Ella work! She stood quickly and gathered her own plates, hurrying to the sink to begin washing dishes. That had been rather selfish of her- she was a slave. It was her job.

Hearing the water start running, Ella turned to find Rachel doing the dishes. “You, young lady, are supposed to be taking it easy,” she said in a mock serious tone, but then she gave a sincere smile as she added, “You cooked, I’ll clean; it’s the least I can do.” In her concern for Rachel, she sort of forgot that their master was still in the room, but then she remembered and was afraid that she might have just gotten Rachel in trouble by trying to let her out of the work. With a slight grimace she lowered her head in shame as she turned toward Tybalt and said, “With your permission of course, Sir.”