HeatherMarie

"Delete" and/or "block" certain events

I gotta say, this request initially had my back up. I love, love, love flowers and their meanings and this event so much.

But I'm now a supporter of an option to delete, regift or hide certain flowers from your vase. This should be fun, and there needs to be a way to make sure it stays fun for people who only want certain flowers.

I love all of mine, and don't mind that there's no real theme. But with how some users are spamming others with flowers they don't want specifically to troll them I've changed my mind. It's just uncalled for to use such a lovely event to upset someone, even though I don't personally understand being upset by the wrong color or type of flower. It's one thing to kind-heartedly accidentally gift a flower that someone doesn't like, and another thing entirely to send that 'gift' intentionally and that needs to be stopped.

I do have to say though, the random gift function is amazing, and I hope that people will continue using it and that it doesn't get disabled. I do want to see the ability to remove certain flowers implemented for those players who want it, but random gifting is the only way a lot of users are going to get their flowers.

I know for a fact that there are a number of players out there who don't have a lot of flowers and no idea how to really get them. That little dummy trade link in my sig to get a flower just by offering a random egg?

I have it posted offsite, and I get consistent hits on the link, from people with next to no flowers in their vase. Sure, I'm not getting massive volumes of offers, but I am getting them on a regular basis, and the offers I'm getting are not the kind of desperate spam please please please offers that I'm sure most traders are familiar with, nor are they serious offers.

I know I've probably disappointed a few people by it not being a real trade, but I really do think it's balanced by the people that have gotten a flower they otherwise wouldn't have. I'm also saddened to think that maybe one of my random gifts has upset someone. But there's just so many more users who won't get flowers or won't get many flowers without the random gift function.

This idea that users are 'maliciously' sending the wrong colour flowers is pure speculation. Flowers are 'randomly' sent, I am still getting random flowers and not the ones I posted that I wanted, but they are just that...'randomly' sent where the sender has no idea what scroll it will end up on and you can bet that thousands of people are sending these random flowers, probably most of these are not forum users.

I just don't think we should leap to the conclusion that people are being malicious without absolute proof, just because there are flowers that we didn't want in our vases.

As for some users being blocked from the forums, it is not up to the site to cater to every single possible user situation, that is impractical, impossible and unreasonable to expect. It is up to the user. If the user misses the very noticable link to the news post through being blocked by parents from the forum...well that is not the site's responsibility, it is the users responsibility.

All that said, a 'delete' option for flowers would be nice.

Edited by Dubious

I don't think this is necessary. Even if you participate by a randomizer, you aren't forced to actively participate. If need be, get some kind of image blocker and block the vase or flowers. :3

But I suppose since we get this request every year an option in account settings to choose "I don't want to participate the next site event" wouldn't hurt. You wouldn't get the badge, whatever is being sent, or the event notice, or anything else. If you only like Halloween events you could uncheck it before or during Halloween and the info would show up or something.

This. smile.gif While I personally don't think it's a problem since people can always just block images that they don't want to look at, if there are enough people that are adamantly against these events, then I think a simple box to check saying you don't want to participate in site events is the simplest solution.

There are always going to be elements of events that people don't like and I think if TJ tries to cater for all the different pereferences, that's suddenly going to be a lot of work and the events will start getting really complicated. So I think an option to simply opt out entirely would be the most efficient way to make the most people happy. smile.gif

This idea that users are 'maliciously' sending the wrong colour flowers is pure speculation. Flowers are 'randomly' sent, I am still getting random flowers and not the ones I posted that I wanted, but they are just that...'randomly' sent where the sender has no idea what scroll it will end up on and you can bet that thousands of people are sending these random flowers, probably most of these are not forum users.

I just don't think we should leap to the conclusion that people are being malicious without absolute proof, just because there are flowers that we didn't want in our vases.

Usually I'm all on board the "It's probably not a malicious thing" train. But I saw her vase after she posted about it and the odds that she could get a complete blanket of yellow, the one color she didn't want, are staggering. It really was just one, big, eye pop of yellow. Random gifts would have added some other colors.

Given the nature of this thread, the fact that she specified she disliked the color, and then the sheer amount of it that rapidly built up in her vase (more than was in mine), I think it's pretty safe to assume she was trolled.

I really do hope, that if it's possible, and since so many people have said that they love the random gifting that we can go with regifting. Straight deleting is okay if that's all TJ's okay with, but it seems sad that someone's effort to make another player smile just ends instead of moving on to someone who will smile because of it.

As for some users being blocked from the forums, it is not up to the site to cater to every single possible user situation, that is impractical, impossible and unreasonable to expect. It is up to the user. If the user misses the very noticable link to the news post through being blocked by parents from the forum...well that is not the site's responsibility, it is the users responsibility.

Very much this. Random is random, not trolling, and people DON'T read posts properly and send / offer the exact opposite all the time.

That said, it would be nice to be able to show/hide some flowers - not delete them ! - to be able to get colour coordinated displays and so on. And to be able to see that flower behind that other flower... smile.gif

And I KNOW that it isn't the site's responsibility when some people are blocked from the forum - I just get so tired of people saying ANYONE CAN

CHECK, as in

The point is that there is not much of an excuse for not reading the information that is right there already, it is very accessible to everyone and right under our noses. It just cannot be missed by forum users and non forum users alike.

- because that is actually not the case. I'm not saying anything needs to or should be done about it, just that no, some people can't check; it is NOT accessible to everyone, and yes, that's just LIFE but it is in fact the case, just the same.

Uh, not sure why the flowers are bothering you so much, can't you just ignore the vase ? It's a tiny icon at the top of the scroll....

that said, it would be nice if we could arrange the flowers ourselves.

Maybe put a message at the bottom of your scroll to send no flowers? Personally I've been enjoying them, although unless I post in the flower sending thread I'm not recieving many random ones.

There's also the option to not display your scroll. Why not use that for a week?

Edited by skyie

I want to be able to choose which flowers to hide and which to show. Not because I don't like some of them, but because there are so many and they hide behind each other and I'd love to be able to pick some of my favorites to show off (or display in colors/themes).

That said, I'm also hoping that the decisions we make regarding what to show and/or hide won't be permanent, as there are so many gorgeous flowers I want to mix it up from time to time, too!

Are there really so many people who look at the badges after an event has ended? I never click Easter Baskets, Christmas Trees or Gingerbread Houses when I am looking at other scrolls, it is simply not interesting for the game anymore. Maybe it is too much discussion over something unimportant.

Edited by drabrugon

As much as I love the events here (and I think they are always extremely well organised and well thought through), I'd feel better about sendig random gifts if I knew people who don't want them can get rid of them. If I haven't overlooked it, I think it hasn't been suggested to be able to simply remove a badge from your scroll. No badge no link, no link no unwanted things. I'm no expert but it sounds simpler to me than implementing a manual rearranging or sorting/deleting feature.

I don't understand how it's truly effecting your scroll. Your scroll stays the exact same, except you have a vase at the top that I guarantee most people won't bother to look at.

Edited by MagnusMango

In grade school, I was that kid that didn't get Valentine's. I remember how that made me feel, so I spent several hours sending to "random recipient" yesterday, hoping to help make sure others weren't left feeling that way. Then I read this thread. I am not sending to "random recipient" any longer. I have sent several flowers on the "request" thread, but in the future, I will never use the "random recipient" option again, unless there is an opt out feature for those who don't want to receive "love" from the rest of us.

Also, if you don't click any link related to the event at all, I believe you won't be able to see the Vase in your scroll, even if you have received a flower. It looked like it was like that at least

But yes, I'd like to be able to move them around, to keep the ones I like at the top, but simply tossing them away is a lil mean xd.png I assure you many people won't even bother looking at your vase after Valentine's

And yeah raindear, I remember how every single year they did that stupid thing in our school to make most kids feel bad since only 2 or 3 would get cards, never got one and always felt really sad xd.png

I really do not understand how anyone can see this as an invasion of their scroll. I think that it is a bit sad that they cannot just take it in the spirit of fun that was intended.

In light of the fact that it has upset some people, though, I think future events should have an "opt out" feature.

Also, if you don't click any link related to the event at all, I believe you won't be able to see the Vase in your scroll, even if you have received a flower. It looked like it was like that at least

You're right. The vase doesn't appear until you have clicked the "You have received a flower" link.

I really do not understand how anyone can see this as an invasion of their scroll. I think that it is a bit sad that they cannot just take it in the spirit of fun that was intended.

In light of the fact that it has upset some people, though, I think future events should have an "opt out" feature.

The way I see it, put in a simple way: For Holidays, "holiday" dragons are released, limited-edition. These are special "event" dragons. Even so, users are not *forced* to pick up those wonderful "event" eggs. If a user doesn't want an '09 V-day egg, they can choose to not pick one up. They can choose to abandon any they breed, even if they have space for it in their limits.

Choices. That's what it comes down to. DragonCave is all about choices. We choose what dragons we do and don't breed. We choose their names. We choose which breeds to collect and which not to collect.

And yet these type of events take away that choice. It's been said before, arguing that there's a "more information on the forums" link in-cave is pointless, because of the large number of people who aren't a member of the forum, so why would they click that link (just think about that for a second. If you've never been a member of a forum, and some game-site tells you to go to said forum to get more information, chances are you won't. Because you *won't know* that the News section is viewable to non-members, since you've *never been* on the forum). And then the children who have the forum *blocked* by nanny-type software don't even have a choice.

Anyways. That forum link is rather pointless, for multiple reasons. So just give us a choice. If we click on the event link, and find that it's a type of event we don't want to participate in, just give us an opt-out choice. That's all I want.

(I like some of the flowers. They are pretty! It's just the concept/principle I'm pushing for)

~snip~

It's been said before, arguing that there's a "more information on the forums" link in-cave is pointless, because of the large number of people who aren't a member of the forum, so why would they click that link (just think about that for a second. If you've never been a member of a forum, and some game-site tells you to go to said forum to get more information, chances are you won't. Because you *won't know* that the News section is viewable to non-members, since you've *never been* on the forum). And then the children who have the forum *blocked* by nanny-type software don't even have a choice.

~snip~

This is why we need an incave information page. Please?

Anyway, I certainly support an opt-out feature for events, since DC really is all about choices. Sometimes people just want to go their own way, without any input from others or having to deal with other things intruding, and having an opt-out doesn't hurt anyone.

And yet these type of events take away that choice. It's been said before, arguing that there's a "more information on the forums" link in-cave is pointless, because of the large number of people who aren't a member of the forum, so why would they click that link (just think about that for a second. If you've never been a member of a forum, and some game-site tells you to go to said forum to get more information, chances are you won't. Because you *won't know* that the News section is viewable to non-members, since you've *never been* on the forum). And then the children who have the forum *blocked* by nanny-type software don't even have a choice.

Wow, just because YOU do not click on the forums link doesn't mean than anyone else doesn't either. I'm sorry, but i really disagree with this. I was playing this game for a year before I joined the forum (heck, I was playing this game without using fansites... only communities on livejournal and journalfen!) and even then I would check the forums when there was a change. That's just what you're supposed to do with online gaming, you check the place that the developer of the game tells you to when there's a change. Just because YOU don't want to do that doesn't mean it isn't something that should be done. Why should TJ or the mods post the same information in two different areas when ONE CLICK will take you to the post on the forum? ONE CLICK

And no, you don't need to be a member to read the posts here, I know that for a fact. There are many people who read the news section without being members, I did it for a year. Frankly it sounds like you are making excuses. If people chose to ignore a VERY EASY way to get the information provided that's THEIR PROBLEM. Not the site's.

ONE CLICK takes you directly to the news post about this event. ONE CLICK. Is that really that much of an issue?

"Takes away choice" is just hilarious by the way, you can't do anything you want in the game, why is this any different? Last year people gave each other cards, you didn't have a choice over that either.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind having a page that gave event news on the site itself. I think that, besides helping some folks (as Fuzz pointed out, some of our younger players simply aren't allowed here), it would actually be a positive for the atmosphere of the game.

We could have a page called "The Town Square", or something like it, and news could be written as if you left your cave for a bit and went into the nearest village to learn of any new happenings in the world. Personally, I think that having a town in the game could be useful in a number of cute ways.

As far as it goes with that idea, the opt-out, and delete suggestions, I agree with people that it's not the end of the world if you can't opt out or get rid of certain badges. There are always going to be things a certain percentage of players won't like that are just the way things are.

However, while there was a time when I would have made the argument that if this game is just something TJ did for fun, or for experience, etc. then things that were clearly suited to a minority of players might not always be worth the effort, the long-term plan seems to be for the site to be profitable enough to allow him to do it full time, which means, hopefully attracting new players and keeping current ones. In light of that, I think that the more options you can give people, the more likely they are to stick with the game, even if sometimes those options only target the minority of players.

It's a cost benefit thing, and while some of the ideas here (like mine sadly xd.png ) may be too much effort to be worth it, I would imagine that a simple opt-out might not be too much trouble (although it may be), and since it doesn't change anything for those who enjoy the event, it's not a losing proposition unless it's an arduous thing to implement.

Edited by skauble

Wow, just because YOU do not click on the forums link doesn't mean than anyone else doesn't either. I'm sorry, but i really disagree with this. I was playing this game for a year before I joined the forum (heck, I was playing this game without using fansites... only communities on livejournal and journalfen!) and even then I would check the forums when there was a change. That's just what you're supposed to do with online gaming, you check the place that the developer of the game tells you to when there's a change. Just because YOU don't want to do that doesn't mean it isn't something that should be done. Why should TJ or the mods post the same information in two different areas when ONE CLICK will take you to the post on the forum? ONE CLICK

And no, you don't need to be a member to read the posts here, I know that for a fact. There are many people who read the news section without being members, I did it for a year. Frankly it sounds like you are making excuses. If people chose to ignore a VERY EASY way to get the information provided that's THEIR PROBLEM. Not the site's.

ONE CLICK takes you directly to the news post about this event. ONE CLICK. Is that really that much of an issue?

"Takes away choice" is just hilarious by the way, you can't do anything you want in the game, why is this any different? Last year people gave each other cards, you didn't have a choice over that either.

First: I'm not talking about myself not clicking the forum link. I'm talking about the MANY forum-members who have *specifically said* that they don't allow their children on this forum, or know children who's internet won't even allow them to see the forum because of blocking-software. I wouldn't be making a fuss if it was just *me*, 'cause I'm not that selfish. But I'm NOT the only person who has expressed the idea of having a way to block/delete/opt-out of events, and I'm NOT the only person who doesn't or CAN'T click on that forum link. It's not about me.

How is "taking away choice" at all comparable to "do anything you want in the game"? I'm talking about being allowed to control our own scroll; How it looks, what is on it, and who can "send" things to it. When someone tries to send us a one-way "trade", we aren't *forced* to accept it. And yes I'm well aware that events in the past have been this same way, with users able to send others things without their permission. That's WHY I'm asking for a simple opt-out. For future events.

You ask if this is so much of an issue... Is it so much of an issue to just give us a simple opt-out option? I'm not asking for the moon, not asking for the entire Holiday event to be re-done. Just a simple little opt-out button/box. I really don't see how that's too much to ask.

Edited by Marie19R

I think the only thing that confuses me about this is that so far the big problem I'm seeing that people have is that they're getting flowers that they don't like. I haven't actually seen any comments from people saying that they don't want any flowers at all and they wish the vase wasn't there... Actually, there may have been one, but that again was to do with the flowers.

That said, I don't really have a problem with people being able to turn off the events if they don't want to participate.

I think it's simpler to design events like this while keeping in mind that not all the things being given [in this case flowers] are going to be wanted by the recipients. Like I said early in this thread, I'm definitely going to be a voice to have choice designed into the game so that there won't be any need to opt-out, since [using this event as an example] you would be able to delete flowers you don't like from day one, and if you don't like any flowers, you can delete all that you get and be left with a vase with greenery.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Perhaps another option would be to allow people to give themselves flowers. I'd still feel like I was getting a sweet gift from the artists and people could pick which ones they liked.

I'm not sure self-gifting would be considered. This event is about giving to others. Gifting to yourself is pretty much equivalent to going to the store and buying yourself a bouquet because you don't have anyone to buy you one, a rather sad situation. xP

Well I've had 2 people in my entire life buy me flowers, so I'm used to it tongue.gif

And yes, I do occasionally buy myself flowers. If that makes me sad, so be it.

I don't think I've ever had someone buy me flowers, but then again I don't like cut flowers, so I've never bought myself a bouquet either. x3

But the point still stands. The event is about giving to others, not buying yourself a bouquet.

Edited by Pokemonfan13