HeatherMarie

"Delete" and/or "block" certain events

An option which is absolutely no help to those of us who happen to check our scrolls before there's information on the forums about the nature of the event...

This. It's not fair to say "you clicked the event link!!" like that proves we wanted all these flowers. The event link said NOTHING about flowers, about users being able to send you things, said nothing about the nature of the event. People who hadn't checked the forums, or hey, all those people who *aren't* on the forum, would click that event link having NO IDEA that the "event" is tons of random users sending you crap onto your scroll.

I wouldn't mind so much if we were told before the event begins what sort of event it was going to be, and then given the option to opt out... or allowed to see the event, then choose to opt out/remove it from our scroll.

Exactly! If we had an *option*, if we knew beforehand that this event was going to involve other users sending us things, then we would *know* not to click on that event link. If we had the *option* of "opting out" or otherwise saying "I don't want this event on my scroll" AFTER we know what the event is.... Then I'd have no problem at all with the event.

But the way they arrange themselves - I bet you could get that orange sunflower covered up, Dracoscar.

True. Or, you know, since more people have been sending me yellow-ish gold flowers (speak of the devil, right?) I guess I could make it pink/gold themed.

My sister and I have been flowerbombing eachother like CRAZY, so we get a little control over what happens.

Edited by Dracoscar

An ability to sort/withhold flowers like Pokemon suggested would be AMAZING.

Because when you come home to this:

user posted image

You get a bit shocked.

In TJs news post, he says "This year, share the love by giving flowers. Send them to friends, send them to loved ones, or just send them to random strangers. The event will last for one week, and you can send one flower every two minutes (that’s a lot of flowers)."

Anyone who has been here for even one event knows you get a badge. If you read the first post, you should have known you were going to get randomly chosen flowers. You could have waited until you have peeked at few other scrolls. Or you could have waited til the art credits were posted, as they always are. There would still be plenty of time to decide if you want the badge or not.

So, it's too late now, but better luck next time.

Not all of us feel the need to go to the forums every single day if we have nothing to trade. The event link on the main site needs to clarify that clicking it gives other users free reign to bomb our scrolls with their own horrible choices.

One may argue the "spirit of giving," but I'm sitting here feeling the "spirit of I-don't-think-pink-and-orange-in-the-same-vase-is-a-good-idea."

Not all of us feel the need to go to the forums every single day if we have nothing to trade. The event link on the main site needs to clarify that clicking it gives other users free reign to bomb our scrolls with their own horrible choices.

To be honest I am not really sure that there is much more TJ can do to make people aware of the event and what it entails. There is a link directly to the Forum News that describes in detail the entire event. This link is bolded and unmissable on the top of everyones scrolls.....'You can find more information on the forums..'

There is not enough space on everyones scroll for a detailed description, hence the link to the forum thread. It is all right there, one click away. If you want to know what the event is about then just click that link directly from your scroll.

Edited by Dubious

To be honest I am not really sure that there is much more TJ can do to make people aware of the event and what it entails. There is a link directly to the Forum News that describes in detail the entire event. This link is bolded and unmissable on the top of everyones scrolls.

There is not enough space on everyones scroll for a detailed description, hence the link to the forum thread. It is all right there, one click away. If you want to know what the event is about then just click that link directly from your scroll.

The PC I was on at the time I checked my scroll this morning is quite slow, and it was painful enough to have it try to load my scroll. This rather inhibits my ability to easily check a forum link. I'm not quite sure what one line of text extra is going to change when it's already sitting there at the top of the scroll.

Since Halloween treats and Easter eggs follow you around until you have no choice but to click on them if you want to get the next item, whether you like the current one or not, I don't really see why it should be that different for Valentines day. A better sorting option for the flowers, I'd definitely support, but the ability to flat out delete some of them not so much.

The PC I was on at the time I checked my scroll this morning is quite slow, and it was painful enough to have it try to load my scroll. This rather inhibits my ability to easily check a forum link. I'm not quite sure what one line of text extra is going to change when it's already sitting there at the top of the scroll.

Unfortunately not every person's circumstance and PC speed can be accounted for, that is impossible. The link is right there and that is pretty much all that can be reasonably expected from TJ, all the information is given, just one click away. My point is that it really can't get much clearer then it already is. *shrug*

Edited by Dubious

I...

...wow. I just can't even.

I literally do not have words for the feelings this thread is giving me.

That said, I'd like to be able to sort flowers. That would be nice.

This. It's not fair to say "you clicked the event link!!" like that proves we wanted all these flowers. The event link said NOTHING about flowers, about users being able to send you things, said nothing about the nature of the event. People who hadn't checked the forums, or hey, all those people who *aren't* on the forum, would click that event link having NO IDEA that the "event" is tons of random users sending you crap onto your scroll.

Exactly! If we had an *option*, if we knew beforehand that this event was going to involve other users sending us things, then we would *know* not to click on that event link. If we had the *option* of "opting out" or otherwise saying "I don't want this event on my scroll" AFTER we know what the event is.... Then I'd have no problem at all with the event.

Actually, the announcement links to the forum announcement in the next sentence.

Edited by PieMaster

Wow, I didn't realize how negative and/or picky people are being about this. I was thrilled to get any flowers, I had no idea people are trying to get only certain flowers. I know of a lot of people trying to collect all the different types. I can understand wanting a bouquet of your choosing, but accusing people of maliciously gifting you flowers? Seriously? That's extremely insulting. People are trying to be nice and you're basically throwing it back in their face. Maybe rewording this would have been more appropriate.

I think the easiest way would be an OPT out option/checkbox.

You either get the flowers or you OPT out and don't get the flowers/badge. Maybe make this a universal thing? An option to opt out of holiday events?

I don't think TJ should have to add in the extra hours coding something that applies to such a small niche group when he could spend it coding something that everyone could use. It's, in my opinion, a waste of time.

Well, shame on all of us who were actually enjoying gifting out flowers. We should be flogged for thinking anyone would like receiving them. It makes me so sad when this type of feeling comes out of the woodwork for every holiday. I like holidays, so flog me with all those flowers you don't want. I apologize to each and every person who received a flower from me. I should have known better.

Yeah uh.

I'm just not going to use the "gift random" radio button now, because I might be messing with someone's scroll.

Personally, I'd love a way to get rid of the duplicates I have. Rearranging would be fun, but I really just don't want duplicates.

I'm all for people giving random flowers, but I'd still like to be able to rearrange them in some way even if rearranging is completely random. A bright orange pansy in the middle of more muted colors might be rather odd, but I still appreciate it and would like to thank the person who sent it. I wouldn't want to get rid of flowers, but being able to move them so they don't completely block others would be nice.

Well, shame on all of us who were actually enjoying gifting out flowers. We should be flogged for thinking anyone would like receiving them. It makes me so sad when this type of feeling comes out of the woodwork for every holiday. I like holidays, so flog me with all those flowers you don't want. I apologize to each and every person who received a flower from me. I should have known better.

Yah, this is kind of how I feel, too. There are flowers I don't like that I have to, but is getting mad and acting like everyone is deliberately trying to mess you up really the right way to go about things? If you want to be irate about not having the ability to control what flowers you get that's one thing, but right now it seems like a lot of the anger is aimed at people who just happily randomily sent flowers, which is not cool.

I wouldn't mind an opt-out option (although I still think having an option to choose which flowers to display--which TJ said he's considering--is better), but the whole tone of this suggestion...

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Actually, the announcement links to the forum announcement in the next sentence.

And, has already been said, many people don't *go* to the forums constantly, especially when I used to use the library's computer, I would not have clicked on that link because I would have had to log in using the library's computer.

And you seem to be ignoring the THOUSANDS of users who *don't have forum accounts*, therefore "linking to the forum" does absolutely nothing for them.

I see people here getting upset at the negativity, and I want to apologize. I'm not specifically saying that the flower event is bad, or that people who send random flowers shouldn't, or anything like that. That's not my intention at ALL. If you like sending and receiving flowers, more power to you!

My point is simply one of choice. We, as users, should be allowed to chose whether or not we participate in events when those events include other users "sending" us things. A simple "opt-out of this event" option would be perfect.

And you seem to be ignoring the THOUSANDS of users who *don't have forum accounts*, therefore "linking to the forum" does absolutely nothing for them.

I am pretty sure that you can see the News section of the forum even when you are not logged in to the forum. Which means those thousands of users need only click the link and read the news post. They don't need to be a member of the forum.

Edit, just tested it and yes you can see the News section. The point is that there is not much of an excuse for not reading the information that is right there already, it is very accessible to everyone and right under our noses. It just cannot be missed by forum users and non forum users alike.

Now the 'opt out' is another thing altogether. I am not sure how many would use it, but it seems a pretty reasonable request to me. Some people may just not want anything to do with the holiday events at all.

Edited by Dubious

You don't need to log in to see the News section, you just need to log in to post. TJ is aware that many people do not use the forums and does not require people to have an account here to read things.

You know, there's a similar problem with the "collect them yourself" events, like easter eggs and trick-or-treat, since as far as I know there's no way to skip an item you don't like. So either you don't pick it up and can't collect the rest of the items or you take it anyways and end up with something you don't like in your inventory.

This happened to me at the first trick-or-treat. One of the images was really gross-- not badly drawn, just a well-drawn picture of something disgusting (I don't even remember what it was anymore.) I didn't want to click on it and get it on my scroll, so I just turned Java off and that was the end of trick-or-treating for me that year. No big deal.

I think all the worrying about this is a major overreaction, frankly, but if people would rather delete an event badge from their scroll if they decide they don't like the contents, I don't see the harm in that. Just make them enter a password so that no one accidentally deletes their prize badge and then sure, delete away.

I think it's probably only a handful of people who are worrying about the flowers, most people don't seem to care or like them. I'm not sure it's worth TJ's time to recode the badges for just a couple people.

Just block the badge if it is so upsetting to have received a gift.

Aunt Mary is long gone, but every year for Christmas she would, without fail, give me something I did not enjoy.

My mother took care to explain to me, that aunt Mary tried but was just a different generation. She also explained that gifts aren't requests. So I thanked aunt Mary every year sincerely for thinking of me and quietly ignored the gifts after she left.

oy. I was using the random feature too because I figured there would be some shy people that might like a few flowers. :<

Just block the badge if it is so upsetting to have received a gift.

Aunt Mary is long gone, but every year for Christmas she would, without fail, give me something I did not enjoy.

My mother took care to explain to me, that aunt Mary tried but was just a different generation. She also explained that gifts aren't requests. So I thanked aunt Mary every year sincerely for thinking of me and quietly ignored the gifts after she left.

I was taught something similar. My mom told me this when I was a kid. When someone gives you something you don't like, you should thank them for it even if you think it's awful.

oy. I was using the random feature too because I figured there would be some shy people that might like a few flowers. :<

Keep using it! The vast majority of people I have talked to love the flowers. You will be very unlikely to send a flower to someone who didn't want one.