stogucheme

DC Gold

Should a currency economy be added to DC? Please choose the option that BEST fits your opinion. If you null your voice isn't being heard.  

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What if the only thing I want for my 'insert rare egg here' is an 'insert cave-blocker hatchling here'? The only thing people will want to trade with is money because they have millions of it and they don't feel like taking the time to catch and raise a hatchling. Currently it can be a good deal to give a hatchling or two for a nice egg. By implementing this many users would be forced to change their style of play. Sure you can say how this is optional, but if the only thing I can trade rares for is money, then that is changing my style of play. Eventually users will begin to leave because the situation has become 'rares for DC cash or never trade again'.

In short: a firm no.

There are three things that fundamentally irk me in this thread. two have nothing to do with the base idea.

1) The OP makes no attempt whatsoever to argue with dissenters. Yes, there are some comments best ignored, and personal feelings need not be argued about. But straight out ignoring everything not in favor is just one more way to show that this idea is not about community, but just a personal pet project.

2) There is no concrete base idea to discuss, and thus people argue about like 20 different ideas at once.

3) One of the base assumptions of the OP is flawed. If gold is a commodity that can be earned, rich* people will naturally have more of that than poor people. Also, they'll be very likely to earn more each week. I don't need to sell that hard caught CB gold if 3 moderate cb blacks net me the same price.

So, introducing gold as currency just for trades simply won't change much, as hard earned stuff will only get swapped for more of the same.

On the other hand - if there would be such a thing as a shop (fundamentally altering the gameplay, as you have now 3 commodities to manage instead of 1), rich people would ultimately gain the most.

* rich in this context: having the ability to trade rare/sought after dragons. it's not important where you got them, just that you can reliably trade them.

I find it interesting that, though it's been stated several times in this thread, the fact that it would completely change DC is not listed under cons.

I find it interesting that, though it's been stated several times in this thread, the fact that it would completely change DC is not listed under cons.

Yes indeed. That is a huge con, for me. But as someone said, some anti this comments do seem to be being ignored smile.gif

@Daypaw: I think the list should only be for CB's. The only fair and unbiased way to determine the value is by basing it on the ratios.

Motivation? A stable way to get the eggs you want without having to catch or breed specific things (and cater to- what was it? 800k plus users?) seems like a good one.

The incentive for sellers to sell...I have to think about it. Because players "rich with eggs" can already get what they want or just add to their stock.

It is a problem with bartering eggs. Even if you only want CB Whites, most want CB Trios. And unless you're a good catcher/can breed and trade for them, you just can't do it and are constantly out of luck. The "rich" trade with the rich, and the "poor" slowly accumulate semi-rares and hope and pray. Because if you haven't noticed, there are only two things traders want now-a-days- CBs and certain lineages.

If the feature is built-in, i.e. raising dragons gets you gold, there can be no distraction. If anything, there'd be more focus.

ETA: Maybe there could be a thing to buy dragons. If someone's put in the effort to raise all these eggs, why not reward them? (We could even have a "you only get 1g for raising from egg to hatchling, not growing up a hatchling" type thing.)

Exactly how much time have you spent in the trade section? You will find that there are many people out there trading Golds for random hatchlings. If you think that this economy caters only to the fast clickers you are sorely mistaken. In the last week alone I have accepted at least three IOUs for nothing more then a couple Neotropical hatchlings. All of the people I traded with walked away happy to have gotten what they wanted. I did the same thing with the Brimstone release and there were many people who had been unable to catch Brimstones and they got one or two from me. They paid me back in full and we were both happy. I know that there are many people who do the same exact thing.

I may not be the fastest clicker, but if I can catch something that others may not be able to I'm happy to trade for a couple commons. I know that there are many people who will gladly do the same for me and others. This community is a community that helps each other, through trading and gifting. I see no reason to fix something that isn't broken.

if I can catch something that others may not be able to I'm happy to trade for a couple commons. I know that there are many people who will gladly do the same for me and others.

look at my profile.

most of the IOUs are for CB Blacks...

No.

For me, I only collect sprites. That means I currently have (if they have dimorphism, if they don't I just keep one, whichever gender it is)a pair of adult dragons, a pair of S2 hatchlings, and an S1 hatchling.

Except for an S2 holly hatchling, an ungendered Neglected, two GoNs, I have every single sprite (except for the ones that got discontinued). Sure, it's a simple way of playing games. I also owe someone a neglected, (it seems that somehow the timing has changed or something and neglecteds are dying when they shouldn't be, I should look into this...) and that's about it.

I hardly go into trading threads any more.

For me, the gold would be worthless. It would only be worth something when a new dragon, or when a holiday dragon, comes out. That's about it. In other times, it would be completely worthless. I still play the game regardless-I keep trying to catch CB metallics. I try to summon a GoN. It's still fun for me although I've mostly collected everything.

What would the gold be for me? Absolutely nothing, because I don't want to trade for anything. I have turned down glomps. I don't want better lineages of my dragons (well okay there are a few and I did get rid of my old messy female marrow and replaced it with a prettier one).

So adding the gold would actually be adding nothing to people who have a playing style similar to mine. Not everyone wants to fanatically trade dragons.

Edited by ylangylang

I agree with Snowytoshi. Trading right now is partly about having the right dragon, at the right time. What the different dragon breeds are worth changes over time. And in a way adding currency would make it HARDRE for new players.

For example: I traded a CB spitfire hatching for a green dino egg. I had the right dragon, at the right time, and it was a dragon that even a new person would be able to obtain.

This trade happened right as the ultraviolet came out. Spitfires were worth lots, and I just had four or more mature.

Now, imagine if some type of currency was there, and that player who had the green dino wanted money rather then what I had.

More people would be able to give that to him, new players would have less of a chance, unless there was control over the currency, but even then players would have less of a change. There would be more competition.

There are always going to be people who are "richer" then others. Right now, with the system we have, that gap is not huge. This, I believe, is due in part because each person places a different value on what dragons are important. Some dragons are valued greatly by the majority of players, but over all the value people place on dragons is vastly different.

There are always going to be people who are "richer" then others. Right now, with the system we have, that gap is not huge. This, I believe, is due in part because each person places a different value on what dragons are important. Some dragons are valued greatly by the majority of players, but over all the value people place on dragons is vastly different.

Actually, it is. Have you seen what some owners of the original tinsels demanded for tinsel eggs? Several CB metallics, several CB neglecteds or some such. No matter how hard I try, I wouldn't be able to meet such a demand as in ever. Also, there's that whole lot of trading going on of metallics for metallics only, trios for trios only, CB metallics for 2nd gen tinsels and so on.

Still, there are people out there who are willing to gift really good stuff, or offer really rare dragons for a number of hatchlings, so I don't see the need for currency.

So adding the gold would actually be adding nothing to people who have a playing style similar to mine. Not everyone wants to fanatically trade dragons.

And even for those of us who are "trade fanatics" this system would be useless. XD As stated above, eggs are their own currency.

And even for those of us who are "trade fanatics" this system would be useless. xd.png As stated above, eggs are their own currency.

Yes, which is why I don't see the point. I see myself getting annoyed at not being able to throw away gold.

Well I'm mostly neutral on this topic. if this were to be implemented I feel the best way to go about it would be as followed.

Every dragon type has it's own set value. This value has a cap to how high it can be sold for as well as how low it can be sold for. This stops annoyingly over-pricing of any dragon.

User have a set cap of how much gold they can have at any given time. This would stop inflation. Also, it would make gold be more of a emergency use then anything else.

Now for how to make gold. Rather then being "You get x amount when you do this". It'd be "You can get x amount if you do this but the gain is optional".

Well I'm mostly neutral on this topic. if this were to be implemented I feel the best way to go about it would be as followed.

Every dragon type has it's own set value. This value has a cap to how high it can be sold for as well as how low it can be sold for. This stops annoyingly over-pricing of any dragon.

User have a set cap of how much gold they can have at any given time. This would stop inflation. Also, it would make gold be more of a emergency use then anything else.

Now for how to make gold. Rather then being "You get x amount when you do this". It'd be "You can get x amount if you do this but the gain is optional".

This would be a major pain in the butt and I am 99% sure TJ would reject the idea outright if things were done this way. Dragons change in rarity all the time and thus price. (Anyone remember the Seasonal drought? For older players: when Blacks were common? And the current Tinsel drought can't be overlooked...) This pricing would only be able to be put on CB dragons because the prices for 2G's and beyond of most rare dragons dwindle into different numbers which also change over time. It would be a LOT of work deciding what every generation is worth. The programming involved would be ludicrous for a feature that the majority of users don't want loathe the idea of.

And, on that note, I don't see a point in pushing this topic any further. The majority has said no and, while I can't speak for TJ, I'm fairly certain this thread is on its way to the bin.

Edited by Chanilove

I think the problems start with the question of how to distribute gold. One gold for each common raised, two for blockers? One gold for every click you give? One gold for every time you raise an egg from the AP? One gold for every time you use a certain BSA? 1 gold for every day you play?

Do get people who've played for years get reimbursed for all they have done in the past? (Like raising X commons?) Will everybody start at 0, or 100, or 1000?

A Currency would be nice, but I prefer to not have to buy a dragon I might want. It just doesn't seem fair either, I mean what if somebody wants that dragon and needs it? We also can't expect the eggs will be laid.

It would be nice to get maybe items to decorate your scroll, but buying dragons just doesn't seem quite right for some reason. I kind of like trading, even if the result can be high.

This would be a major pain in the butt

QFT.

I just read this entire thread, and I'm still confused. Like olympe said, how is this gold obtained? For the most part, things in the game need to make sense RP wise; and in the 4 years that I've played DC, the message on the main page has never changed. That message says that theres tons of dragons sleeping on piles of gold, and I'm going to assume that the dragons care a lot about the gold if we can just grab their laid eggs. Imagine, if we had a currency, our dragons would probably steal from us or raid us. Also, forget about spontaneous egg creation; what about spontaneous gold creation? Gold is a very rare metal that just doesn't appear from nowhere; look at the golden metallic dragons and how hard it is to breed them.

Just putting my two cents out there.

ETA: Maybe there could be a thing to buy dragons. If someone's put in the effort to raise all these eggs, why not reward them? (We could even have a "you only get 1g for raising from egg to hatchling, not growing up a hatchling" type thing.)

Anddd there it is. Thought so. Indeed, having the ability to buy dragons from the cave is the only thing that'd give gold a true base value--and I don't support it at all.

While being a fast clicker in this game does give you an advantage, some of the rarest dragons require nothing but patience.

Neglected = CB Metal. 2nd gen Black or Vine Alt = CB Trio.

Not to mention wonderful IOU trades. I got a CB Gold this fall that cost me nothing but time--it cost 60 zombie fodder CB hatchies.

All of those above trades show more skill than does getting currency from doing exactly what we already do--give views and get dragons.

I'm shocked that it's typical to respond to unpopular suggestions with "no, just no", followed by accusations of self-interestedness. :(

That's very abrupt and condescending. People put a lot of time and effort into their ideas. This is not an immediately bad idea. I think it's bad for the cave, because I've been around a long time, but that doesn't the OP deserves to be swiftly put down like a misbehaving child. I think (s)he deserves a respectful and reasonable explanation of why it doesn't work.

A little off topic, but this is what i'm saying. This is why I don't post suggestions and why I tend to avoid the suggestion area altogether. I think there should be a suggestion post just to suggest how this area should work.

Gold come from Gold dragons?

I don't think about the dragons stealing from us, but I don't think it would be wise to carry gold. Gold blocks are very heavy, so how can a person carry that much? they wouldn't go far.

Maybe something else. Gold isn't the only currency there is, a lot of games have different ways they refer to money, even though it all works the sames.

Some don't even use gold. Trading is more like a normal medieval setting, most people didn't have much money so trading kind of was nice.

Besides...people can still scammed them even with a currency...it's too risky to try something that might make things worse

I just read this entire thread, and I'm still confused. Like olympe said, how is this gold obtained? For the most part, things in the game need to make sense RP wise; and in the 4 years that I've played DC, the message on the main page has never changed. That message says that theres tons of dragons sleeping on piles of gold, and I'm going to assume that the dragons care a lot about the gold if we can just grab their laid eggs. Imagine, if we had a currency, our dragons would probably steal from us or raid us. Also, forget about spontaneous egg creation; what about spontaneous gold creation? Gold is a very rare metal that just doesn't appear from nowhere; look at the golden metallic dragons and how hard it is to breed them.

Just putting my two cents out there.

"Your common hatchling grows up. Also, a random Gold dragon spontaneously flies over head and drops one gold into your lap. Lucky you!"

"You and your new common dragon travel to the cave you stole it from as an egg and demand child support from its original mother. After much debate, the dragon finally allows you take a gold-piece just so you'll leave."

...Yeeeah, I don't see how this would work at all from the RP standpoint either. XD Also, I can see a few people confusing gold with Golds in the trading threads. I've already done it several times in this thread, but I could just be a derp. :c

Edited by Chanilove

This would be a major pain in the butt and I am 99% sure TJ would reject the idea outright if things were done this way. Dragons change in rarity all the time and thus price. (Anyone remember the Seasonal drought? For older players: when Blacks were common? And the current Tinsel drought can't be overlooked...) This pricing would only be able to be put on CB dragons because the prices for 2G's and beyond of most rare dragons dwindle into different numbers which also change over time. It would be a LOT of work deciding what every generation is worth. The programming involved would be ludicrous for a feature that the majority of users don't want loathe the idea of.

And, on that note, I don't see a point in pushing this topic any further. The majority has said no and, while I can't speak for TJ, I'm fairly certain this thread is on its way to the bin.

Well that point is easy enough to get around. If the type of dragon in question gets more common/rare in the cave then the price could auto go down/up.

An example would be new releases. There price would be some what high because there new but as they become more common/rare there price would drop or rise.

For something like tinsels, they would have a set price.

Then of course there's breeding. There price could be based on there parents and what how long there linage is.

Can you IMAGINE who is going to set and MANAGE all these "values" ? The mods aren't going to want to and nor is TJ. Who has said many times that the ratio details are NOT available to all, so how exactly will these "values" be determined ? At the moment they are determined by players themselves. But NOT globally - by individuals in individual circumstances (you would not BELIEVE the IOU stuff I have coming to me for some TINY (to me) Hallowe'en breeding I did. Because that was SUCH a help to someone else.) biggrin.gif

Eggs and hatchies already have values. They are worth exactly what someone is prepared to trade for them. Determined by that good old Supply and Demand. What more do we need ? People DO accept blockers for rares when a blocker is what they need (I "paid" loads for GREYS at one point !)

Edited by fuzzbucket

If the type of dragon in question gets more common/rare in the cave then the price could auto go down/up.

An example would be new releases. There price would be some what high because there new but as they become more common/rare there price would drop or rise.

Then of course there's breeding. There price could be based on there parents and what how long there linage is.

So, you say that people who raise rare dragons should get more of a reward than people who raise common dragons? Not only do they get the rare dragons to begin with, but also more gold to buy more? unsure.gif

Seriously, if it got implemented, it should be the other way round, where rare dragons (metallics, tinsels) don't get you any gold and cave blockers get you the most.

But I bet a lot of people would disagree with that, and a lot of other people would agree. In the end, it's just another roadblock that has to be taken out of the way if an currency system is implemented.

Well that point is easy enough to get around. If the type of dragon in question gets more common/rare in the cave then the price could auto go down/up.

I really don't know a lot about coding, but wouldn't that demand weekly code updates?

And you are forgetting one thing. Officially something like rare on DC doesn't exist. The eggs are only as valuable as users want them to be.