stogucheme

DC Gold

Should a currency economy be added to DC? Please choose the option that BEST fits your opinion. If you null your voice isn't being heard.  

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd say no to this,

Even with all the caps, there would be people attempting 'stock exchanging'

Buy x1 Albino Egg with 1 Day Left For 10g

Grow it up

Sell x1 Albino Hatchling with 5 days Left For 25g

See?

xd.png

Well, the minimum I'd set was 25g, but I can sort of understand your idea:

Albino egg, 7 days left: 25g

4 days left: 40g

Hatchie, 7 days left: 40g

4 days left: 55g

But would that be a bad thing? I mean, they did put the effort into raising it...

ETA: Hm...and what do people think of the prices? I still like 75g as a cap, but 55g for an Albino hatchie that's about to grow up still seems a bit much...

ETA2: Also, I think that anything under 4 days should count as a 4 day price (really a 3 day, 23 hours price). Since if you hatched a 2 day egg, you'd still get a 7 day hatchling.

Edited by stogucheme

Also,

What if you got a new release, held on to it for a bit, and then suddenly a lineage pops up desperatly needing them in CB's.

You could ask for more specificly from them.

@Daypaw (first post): Yeah, nevermind. Deleting is a bad idea. I like what I laid out.

The seller could use the Gold to get what they wanted.

Anyway, I'm going back and forth on this. I think the best solution is to have a "highly recommended prices" list. You don't have to follow it (and someone can bid more for an auto-buy), but it's a good rubric based solely on the ratios. And people can't bid higher than 75g, so there'd be no "rich players always outbid me!" stuff with the rares. (Any bid with 75g should be an auto-buy, unless the seller selects "don't auto-sell," since you can't outbid it.)

@Daypaw (second post): This would just be adding currency. Same as trading, honestly. You get it the same way you get dragons, and you might not even notice getting it. It's just a more stable version.

How long would that recommended prices list have to be? A CB Silver is not valued the same as a 12th gen, badly inbred silver- and again, not valued the same to different people. Many users love inbred dragons, others don't want them anywhere near their scroll (rare or not). Saying "your beloved inbred dragon is only worth x because it is inbred" or "your favorite CB dragon is only worth x because it isn't EVERYONES favorite dragon" is not how we trade on DC- any sort of 'price list' would be invalid.

You did not answer the question about what motivation we have to use this system when someone can just turn around and say "no, go get the dragons I want and send me a normal trade." Why even bother with this system in the middle? 'Rich users outbid me' isn't a problem bartering with eggs.

And no; this is adding currency and a second trade system. Currency alone would distract from gameplay, as people (especially if they are trying to purchase something) would be paying attention to their gold accumulation and therefore drawn away from their dragons by an unnecessary feature. Unnecessary why? Because we already have an official, formal way of completing trades using Magi Dragons- which are free and easy to obtain.

Edited for spelling fail.

Edited by Daypaw

@Daypaw: I think the list should only be for CB's. The only fair and unbiased way to determine the value is by basing it on the ratios.

Motivation? A stable way to get the eggs you want without having to catch or breed specific things (and cater to- what was it? 800k plus users?) seems like a good one.

The incentive for sellers to sell...I have to think about it. Because players "rich with eggs" can already get what they want or just add to their stock.

It is a problem with bartering eggs. Even if you only want CB Whites, most want CB Trios. And unless you're a good catcher/can breed and trade for them, you just can't do it and are constantly out of luck. The "rich" trade with the rich, and the "poor" slowly accumulate semi-rares and hope and pray. Because if you haven't noticed, there are only two things traders want now-a-days- CBs and certain lineages.

If the feature is built-in, i.e. raising dragons gets you gold, there can be no distraction. If anything, there'd be more focus.

ETA: Maybe there could be a thing to buy dragons. If someone's put in the effort to raise all these eggs, why not reward them? (We could even have a "you only get 1g for raising from egg to hatchling, not growing up a hatchling" type thing.)

Edited by stogucheme

@Fuzzbucket: Capitalism doesn't have a max wage, and people can circumvent the minimum wage. This is why it fails. We don't need to worry about the second, and we'll have the first.

That is NOT by any means the only reason it fails. Exploitation and even invasion of third world countries; banks after vast dividends; hedge funds; hostile business takeovers...

But that is not for this thread.

I still really hate this idea and remind you that charity - real charity - is about people being nice. Not about moral superiority and feeling put upon. If I wanted to play a pet site I would.

Anyway, I'm going back and forth on this. I think the best solution is to have a "highly recommended prices" list. You don't have to follow it (and someone can bid more for an auto-buy), but it's a good rubric based solely on the ratios. And people can't bid higher than 75g, so there'd be no "rich players always outbid me!" stuff with the rares. (Any bid with 75g should be an auto-buy, unless the seller selects "don't auto-sell," since you can't outbid it.)

This is part of how it changes the nature of the game in fundamental ways.

You've put DC in charge of regulating prices and recommending prices to set. You've put a cap on trades, with an 'auto-buy' price. You've restricted what people can 'charge' for a desirable egg.

And this is all in a secondary system that undermines the primary trading system. Users have to go farm gold to have a chance at trading for eggs, instead of, say, hanging out and catching/breeding eggs to trade.

Motivation? A stable way to get the eggs you want without having to catch or breed specific things (and cater to- what was it? 800k plus users?) seems like a good one.

That's the point of trading: you're dealing with other users. You're trying to find a price you can both agree on, and that isn't always easy or possible.

Without alterations, just as a simple intro of gold (and without explaining what use this gold has in and of itself--you can't take it to the bank and cash out eggs, so what is its intrinsic value?), users would still have to find a way to get the gold to cater to whatever the other person thought their trade was worth. If gold is easy to get, it's not going to be worth as much. You still have to deal with those 800k+ users in terms of what a thing is worth, and that's going to change to adapt to the new system in such a way that you're going to face the exact same problem: getting the egg you want is difficult and frustrating and 'expensive'.

With alterations--price lists, sales caps, expiration dates, etc.--you're forcing DC into a middleman position of regulating trades and the DC economy to artificially keep prices at a place you think is fair and reasonable, and that itself is unreasonable. Value varies for a wide variety of reasons.

PC and PC again. If a person is interested in maintaining a reputation, they ought to adhere to PC, since if they don't the knee-jerk reaction is to immediately adopt the moral high ground.

However, this is a suggestion, not a sale. An essential difference because TJ's ultimate decision should be made based on logic, rationality and people's experience/gameplay styles rather than being swayed based on emotion.

Therefore, it would be more constructive if we argued on the basis of cause and effect not LOL THIS PERSON WANTS TO BENEFIT THEMSELVES, LET'S JUMP ON THE MORAL HIGH GROUND BANDWAGON. I dislike the double standard.

It's the same for all arguments--it doesn't matter if you're a political candidate, you're arguing to start a new charity, you're trying to sell a car, or you're trying to change a website.

No matter what it is, you are arguing for or against something. An effectively constructed argument is going to be more likely to get you the results you want, and an ineffective argument is less likely to get you the results you want. It doesn't matter what you are arguing for or against.

In this case, it's arguing for currency. However, an ineffective argument will not help the OP's cause. While it's true that a more effective argument will not guarantee that the OP's cause will be seen in a positive light, it lessens the chance that people will be hostile to it. That's not to say that the OP's argument is 100% ineffective--it certainly isn't. It's simply that by pointing out quite plainly a vested interest in getting this change made, it lessens the effectiveness of the argument. It doesn't discredit it completely, it just makes people more likely to be wary of it. And the less wary people are of an argument, the more likely constructive discussion can take place.

There are many strategies to employ when constructing your argument, in this case the suggestion for a currency.

It is not a case of "the OP should be PC!" It's a case of "this is an actual concept when it comes to formulating arguments that people should understand".

TJ may have the ultimate decision, but I suspect he takes user reaction at least partially into consideration. After all, it would logically be a very poor choice to implement an idea everybody hates and will leave the game over, right?

And while ideally he should base his decision on logic, making sure people don't hate the idea on an emotional level is important, too. You do not get constructive criticism or discussion on how to improve your idea to make it fit in with DC without altering the game in a way people hate if you drive them away by making them think that you want to force the game to be played to your tastes.

By approaching the audience in a more favorable light, you're more likely to get people who say "I don't like X about this, but maybe if we consider Y it could work".

Think about it, who are you more likely to try to make a compromise with? The person who comes off as wanting to change it because it makes their life easier, or the person who comes of as wanting to make a system better for others even if they benefit along with others?

Both people want the same thing--a system change that will benefit them and others. It's how they present themselves and how they appear to care about those others they want to benefit as well.

I personally dislike this not because of the OP, but because I don't want a currency in DC. I drift away from sites that use currency, and they annoy me more than they entertain me. I would be very against it no matter who the OP was or how they presented themselves.

But there are others who are undecided on the issue, or not as firm in their stance either way who may be convinced that it is a good idea or who may be convinced it's a terrible idea, depending on the argument strategies employed.

Like I've said, DC is a very hostile audience to anything that would drastically alter the fundamental nature of the game--or anything that's perceived to alter the fundamental nature at first glance, even if it actually wouldn't upon deeper examination. And, even if you think it should all be based on logic, the thing is people are swayed not just by logic but by emotions and the credibility of the arguer.

So saying we should all use logic is all well and good, but not everybody can just completely distance themselves from arguments that involve credibility and emotion.

By using the right approaches to limit negative emotional knee-jerk reaction, it makes it that much easier to get a logical argument on cause/effect started. It won't be pure logic, of course, since not everybody can 100% separate their logical reasoning and their emotional reasoning, but it helps.

*applauds KageSora's post.*

I personally dislike this not because of the OP, but because I don't want a currency in DC. I drift away from sites that use currency, and they annoy me more than they entertain me. I would be very against it no matter who the OP was or how they presented themselves.

QFT. The change would be so huge that it would REALLY put me off forum trading in any way. I'd just catch and breed and exchange with my mates who feel the same way.

And stog - you know we get on OK. smile.gif I just cannot like your idea, not even in any way. It's too much like going to Walmart and picking the cheapest cookies...

@Daypaw: I think the list should only be for CB's. The only fair and unbiased way to determine the value is by basing it on the ratios.

The incentive for sellers to sell...I have to think about it. Because players "rich with eggs" can already get what they want or just add to their stock.

It is a problem with bartering eggs. Even if you only want CB Whites, most want CB Trios. And unless you're a good catcher/can breed and trade for them, you just can't do it and are constantly out of luck. The "rich" trade with the rich, and the "poor" slowly accumulate semi-rares and hope and pray. Because if you haven't noticed, there are only two things traders want now-a-days- CBs and certain lineages.

If the feature is built-in, i.e. raising dragons gets you gold, there can be no distraction. If anything, there'd be more focus.

ETA: Maybe there could be a thing to buy dragons. If someone's put in the effort to raise all these eggs, why not reward them? (We could even have a "you only get 1g for raising from egg to hatchling, not growing up a hatchling" type thing.)

People aren't going to trade only CB's, so again, that list is invalid. Giving a value ONLY for a CB silver does nothing to help all of the users trying to sell their lineaged silvers. And again- does nothing to cater to the fact that people value things differently. Someone who hates silvers may not want to pay 75g for one just because some list says they should.

I do not see how that is motivation to use this system. You still have to catch and breed, and game economies tend to crash and burn just like real economies. Every egg in that trade system would likely be sold for the maximum amount allowable as soon as people figured out that the gold is otherwise useless, or people will default back to bartering with eggs because it is easier and faster.

"I just caught this breed of dragon that you really like- let me trade it to you for that rare one that you don't like so much" vs "let me raise 50 dragons this month to accumulate some gold so I can buy that and you can buy a carbon copy of that dragon that I caught last week." No. There is no argument that makes accumulating coins make more sense than just directly bartering with eggs for what you want in the DC universe. If one person is asking for something that you don't want to catch or breed, you pass that offer over and find someone asking for something that you CAN catch or breed- or just post your own offer and let people come to you.

@Bolded segment: And why can't I 'just do it?' I may not catch a trio daily, but I catch them often enough to ship off a fair number of them in trades. Or papers, and cheeses. I'm not a good catcher, yet I still manage just fine on my lucky and impulse clicks. When I was a newbie, I traded with plenty of "rich" users. I trade with new and experienced users alike ("Rich" and "Poor" are not applicable terms here, as again, we all value our dragons differently) so I have no idea where you are getting the idea that there is some sort of caste system at work here.

There is no way for this feature to not be a distraction. Raising dragons would become about earning gold, not the dragons themselves. A user raising a dragon would be checking their gold count, conscious of their gold count, and constantly worrying that they don't have enough for what they want. Especially the new users who are gaining at an approximate rate of 1 gold/day with their limit of 4 dragons.

@Buying dragons: No. DC is not a pet site. This completely destroys the entire concept that this game is based around. We catch our own eggs in the biomes, we do not buy them and adult dragons are non-transferable. The users of DC like DC because it is not Magistream- adding a shop defeats the purpose of collecting.

Additionally, this trade system will likely not make it any easier to get the eggs that you want. If there is a CB silver offered, if you are not the absolute first person to see it and make an offer, then how is it different from missing a click? Or if there is no autobuy option enabled, and the seller receives several hundred offers for 75g, what are the odds that you'll actually win that sale, hmm?

Edited by Daypaw

I really love history. The first time something like this happened, it was in France.

Back in the 18th century France had some financial problems. They were to slow in making a change from agriculture based country to industrial based one. Economy needed the boost, so a guy named John Law invented paper money. Paper money was easier and cheaper to make.

So, for a time the country got the boost it needed. But, they produced money how they saw fit. After some time the currency became worthless to other nations, and pretty soon it became worthless in France, too.

At the end, a regular peasant needed a bag full of money to buy bread.

That's what would happen here. Yes, in the beginning it would function. But, the money could circulate only through user's hands. Because of it, the site would be forced to produce more and more, until it basically became useless.

I'm a little confused. This suggested gold currency system is so people can buy eggs from other users right? Then what would be the purpose of having gold to begin with? Unless there is some kind of gold-only redeemable reward, there seems to be no benefit in hoarding any gold (unless one just likes to hoard gold) oO

I'm a little confused. This suggested gold currency system is so people can buy eggs from other users right? Then what would be the purpose of having gold to begin with? Unless there is some kind of gold-only redeemable reward, there seems to be no benefit in hoarding any gold (unless one just likes to hoard gold) oO

You'd hoard gold so that you can save up and buy eggs and hatchies.

If you want to.

Otherwise - no point at all.

Theoretically, the "reward" would be that you could then use that gold to obtain dragons you like from others, in an endless cycle that simply transfers gold between players.

In theory, it's all well and good. The problem is that theory doesn't always translate well into practice, and what good is all that gold if the only people who have something you want refuse to sell and will only trade?

I don't think there's a proper proposed "reward" for the gold beyond "theoretically you can then buy something you really want from another user with it", and any proposed "reward" would likely receive no support from the majority of the vocal userbase since we don't want DC to become a generic petsite, so it would make coming up with an alternate use of the "gold" considerably harder.

Perhaps... IIRC, a long while back there was talk in the Ascension topic about a "potion" or something that could be obtained by implementing the "hoarding" suggestion. I think I saw mentions of other "potions", things like one free incubate or something to take a day off cooldown you could find, too, or something (or maybe I'm getting mixed up, it's 6am...) Perhaps gold could be used to buy such things as an additional means of obtaining them should they be implemented. That would give it a purpose, while not FORCING people to obtain it because they could get the same thing via other means...

That said, I still wouldn't want a currency system, because that's still waaaaay too much like other petsites for me.

PointOfOrigin~~> So, so true. I learned about that a few years ago. Pretty good illustration of such a situation if you ask me.

Personally, even though I have a slow internet and have between none and none chance of ever catching a rare in the cave, I'm still against the money system you're suggesting. Come on, isn't the point of the game to steal and breed dragons? Even speaking about the world of Dragon Cave it would be incoherent. Why would we be suddently able to do this? But then, that's my opinion...

(Probably not a very clear post, sorry about that)

Edited by SafiraThePanther

The more I read this and hear about price caps and suggested price lists and all the like the more it seems overly complex. DC is delightful because it is so simple. And I think someone else put their finger on the main issue when they said that gold in this system has no intrinsic value because if I end up stuck with my gold, I can't necessarily cash it in for anything, while by keeping a rare dragon or at least trading it for SOMETHING guarantees I got at least one end result out of my work.

Honestly the only real reason I see for this to exist, since IOUs already somewhat cover the issues, is if you intended for it to become possible for people to buy dragons directly from the cave--it would take an assured value of gold to make gold worth anything at all. That quickly would change the whole nature of DC...

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

The more I read this and hear about price caps and suggested price lists and all the like the more it seems overly complex. DC is delightful because it is so simple. And I think someone else put their finger on the main issue when they said that gold in this system has no intrinsic value because if I end up stuck with my gold, I can't necessarily cash it in for anything, while by keeping a rare dragon or at least trading it for SOMETHING guarantees I got at least one end result out of my work.

Honestly the only real reason I see for this to exist, since IOUs already somewhat cover the issues, is if you intended for it to become possible for people to buy dragons directly from the cave--it would take an assured value of gold to make gold worth anything at all. That quickly would change the whole nature of DC...

This. While it's an idea that COULD possibly work, it would need so many add-ons and extras and regulations that it would just end up overly complex, for something thats not particularly needed in the first place.

Yes, DC may be a pretty simple game and it might be difficult to trade. It took me years before I was able to trade for a Gold or a Chicken, and because it took so long I treasure each of my Golds like crazy. If I could just raise a bunch of dragons (which I actually did for one of my Golds-a lovely person on Cave Plumbers gifted me one after I raised a whole bunch of hatchlings ^u^) in as few as three weeks and then get a Gold, or a Chicken, or a Neglected, then they loose as their value. They're supposed to be crazy hard to get. Thats why we value them when we are finally able to get them <3

The more I read and think about it, the more I dislike this idea, and for a very simple reason: If we can acquire DC$ (DC-Dollars) through any kind of in-game mechanism (like clicking other people's stuff or raising blockers or whatever), there will be literally an endless supply of money (naturally leading to inflation), and people who have been making money for a longer period of time will have more. And it's ultimately the people with the most money who can outbid anyone. Even price caps won't help with that, because in the end, people won't be willing to part with a rare egg for lousy 75 DC$.

In the end, I don't think the idea is worth it. The only way to make this viable is to also have a DC market where you can "buy" rare CB eggs for DC$ - but that would probably change the game beyond recognition.

(Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to get one DC$ for every common I raised and be able to "buy" a CB gold egg for 500 DC$ - but it might mess with the ratios unless TJ uses some trick to avoid that, like not counting bought eggs towards the ratios or some such. I just don't think it would work out in the long run, but cause a number of other problems.)

I'm still quite new to the cave, but I couldn't help but take a peek inside this post when I saw the title. Currency doesn't really work for me, as I've learned from Magistream.

To tell the truth, it seems like the only thing people do there is work on fishing rare eggs or earning currency. I've also noticed that while there are a huge number of posts selling and buying rare creatures, there are very few that are willing to donate the rarer ones to newbies or such. The newer users there have to save up vast amounts of money to even hope to get what they want. (Er, don't get me wrong. I love Magistream.) Here in Dragcave, there are tons of people that love gifting rare eggs or helping the newer players, but in Magistream, there just aren't. I've never seen something close to the newbie gifting thread or the giving tree there.

Currency seems to give the creatures a price tag, and everyone's unwilling to just gift away those creatures since they'll be able to get something out of it by selling the creature instead. And retired donations or past limited releases are common to see there. People post threads saying that they want to sell them and such, and others post saying that they will buy. Nothing is called 'rare' there, but 'expensive.' There is no fun of getting donation pets or holiday creatures when you can get them anytime you want.

Just saying that currency would make dragcave something else from now. The reason I love this site is because of the kind people and zero currency. Letting currency take over the site would make Dragcave unappealing for me.

They're supposed to be crazy hard to get. Thats why we value them when we are finally able to get them <3

Again, I agree on this. With currency, people would be able to get CB Metallics or Neglecteds with ease. This would make their value drop considerably, wouldn't it?

Just mindless rambling, hope it makes at least some sense:)

The more I read and think about it, the more I dislike this idea, and for a very simple reason: If we can acquire DC$ (DC-Dollars) through any kind of in-game mechanism (like clicking other people's stuff or raising blockers or whatever), there will be literally an endless supply of money (naturally leading to inflation), and people who have been making money for a longer period of time will have more. And it's ultimately the people with the most money who can outbid anyone. Even price caps won't help with that, because in the end, people won't be willing to part with a rare egg for lousy 75 DC$.

Also, as far as I'm aware this idea was put forth as a means to help younger players to acquire dragons on their own. Seeing as older players will have more gold, no matter how you turn it the newer players won't really get any better chances at getting those rares.

We already have in-game currency. It's called 'eggs'.

The current system is not entirely dependent on speed and luck. Lots of people trade 'red paperclip' style, trading a handful of less valuable eggs/hatchlings for a few more valuable ones, working their way up to what they want. The difference between this and a gold system, in which players earn and save their gold to trade, is that gold is easier to accumulate and so ultimately less valuable (inflation!), while at the same time it devalues eggs/hatchlings as currency.

It would also add all the hassles that face financial regulation agencies in the real world.

Does TJ regulate inflation or take a hands-off approach? How do they handle the sites that would inevitably spring up to game the system and rack up big bucks in a short time? Where's the fun when the only folks hunting new releases are the ones looking to resell them as everyone sits back and waits for the 'market' to open?

There's a learning curve to catching and trading, and it can be a frustrating process, but replacing it with click-and-buy changes it from a game to a collection.

This. Definitely this. While I like to give personalized feedback on suggestions, I couldn't have said it better myself.

I am blessed with a speedy Internet connection, so maybe I don't have a right to say anything since I find new releases fairly easy to catch, but obtaining rares really isn't impossible with a slow connection. I almost always trade my new release eggs for common hatchlings that I need for my scroll goals. For a long time I felt it was somewhat of a waste to use an egg-slot for a common when it could be occupied by a more valuable egg, and sadly my scroll reflects that. I'm missing a lot from my scroll goals because of this, so trading for multiple common hatchlings has become a part of my playstyle. And it's not just trading, either. There's multiple common-raising "games" where you can obtain rares through raising commons as well.

I'm sure there are some people out there who wouldn't like to raise commons for uncommons/rares, but if that's so then you have to accept that the dragon is simply worth more to the trader than you (and that, mind, would happen with or without a "gold" system in place!) Even then, there are gifting threads galore for situations like this. For newbies, there's the Newbie Gifting Thread. For the harder-to-catch BSA's, there's the BSA Gifters. For new releases, the New Release Gifting Force. There's a Gold Gifting Group for the elusive shinies... I mean, the list goes on. XD

Let's pretend for a second that I have a CB Holly and it's Christmas. I'd like to trade its offspring. What the heck would I want DC gold for? What am I going to buy with the gold that is worth more than my Holly's offspring? Hollies, 2G Tinsels, and CB metallics are the "big bucks", and I can't see anyone trading them for any amount of DC currency when the trader could be getting instant gratification from the trading threads. I could have someone owing me their CB Silvers' offspring for the rest of their conceivable existence! Accepting "gold" for such a trade just sounds to me like something worse than an IOU, because at least with an IOU you have someone on the other end who has agreed to give you something, as opposed to hoping that someone accepts gold for their 2G Silver in the trading threads at a later date. A gold system isn't going to make Holly offspring more obtainable. I mean, you'd probably have to save up for an entire year just to have enough, and then you'd still have to find someone who has one to breed and hope that they don't mind accepting gold.

We're not entirely abject toward change here at DC, but the change has to be for the better of the community. A gold system isn't necessary because, as others have said, eggs are their own currency.

tldr; No.

Edited by Chanilove