stogucheme

DC Gold

Should a currency economy be added to DC? Please choose the option that BEST fits your opinion. If you null your voice isn't being heard.  

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Edit: My version of how this will work on page 12: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...dpost&p=6705673

Updated that post! Also added this: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...dpost&p=6709458

I know people hate it for some reason, but I'm gonna mention Magistream. This is not a suggestion to turn DC into Magistream. (Also, I searched "+cave +gold" and "+cave +money" and only came up with the earning dragons for clicking thread, which is completely different.)

Alright. I missed Magistream's release of Xisitak, and I wanted them. I didn't really have anything good to trade for them, but I had Gold. Even though Xisitak were in such high demand, I was able to purchase them within a day- for a considerable price, but still.

I think that DC would really benefit from having in-game currency. How it's earned on Magistream is by clicking other people's creatures; we may want to find a different way, since we don't need clicks.

(I was actually thinking that we could get rewarded for certain things- like raising caveblockers. *winks at people trying to get the cave moving*

Just so we're clear: this would be an ADDITIONAL way to trade. Also, I'm referring to buying eggs from other users. Ones who did do all that fighting stuff. smile.gif

ETA: It'd probably have a profile cap and a trading cap. For example, 200g per scroll, with 10g tops being allowed to trade per transaction. (So if you had multiple transactions, you could trade it all, but per each it can't be greater than 10g.)

Pros:

-people who sucked at clicking, wanted the sprites and didn't want to hunt for hours, or missed the event could use Gold to get what they wanted

-no more being forced to do IOUs of monumental proportions that take weeks to fulfill (and no more having to accept them)

-no vague bartering system where it's easy to get scammed

-less "I want a Sunsong from this really abstact and hard to create lineage or no deal"

-you could have long-standing "I'll pay 5,000 Gold for this dragon/lineage" type requests

Cons:

-rare prices could be steep

-getting Gold may be tricky/annoying

-harassment (which the mods can deal with, but I thought I'd mention it)

-elitists may complain that it's "not fair" for someone to be able to purchase a dragon that they worked hard for, even though it may have been hard to collect the Gold used to purchase that dragon

Edited by stogucheme

..No. We cannot auto-buy a dragon. It's against the ToS to use /real/ money, so why game money? Magistream is just a failure.

..No. We cannot auto-buy a dragon. It's against the ToS to use /real/ money, so why game money? Magistream is just a failure.

...Magistream has 54,582 users, a friendly environment, and encourages its users to help each other out. How is it a failure?

Real money is distributed by the government. Game money is distributed by the game, and therefore has no impact outside the game. This makes them fundamentally different.

I've had a vague look at magistream and I have to say the economic control is awful. As far as I can see, the currency is worthless and devalued. If this is going to be implemented, there needs to be a very strong control on the economy to prevent money becoming worthless over time.

I don't really mind, particularly, but 5 gold sounds a lot nicer than 5000 because when you get up to k... money is worth basically nothing at all.

Some other questions which need to be addressed:

How would gold be earned?

How will you drain currency to prevent dragons becoming worthless over time?

MagiStream is actually a rather nice place to be, just like DC. U:

That said, the problem with in-game currency could make "prices" go up. :x I'd kinda rather not have that.

I don't really see a need for an in-game currency though. We only have dragons here - we don't have any kind of items or anything like MS does. So really what purpose would currency serve? It seems kind of useless to only have it to buy pets with...even CelestialVale, another site I play, has an in-game currency...and items. I can't think of any pet sites with an in-game currency that don't also have items.

So I can't see a currency working for DC, unfortunately.

No... Just so much no.

Aside from the fact that I do believe TJ has personally shot this down himself a few times, I really don't think it will be beneficial to the game.

I like DC the way it is. People will be demanding ridiculous prices for things. I think it's fine the way it is, in that if you want something, you trade another egg for it.

Magistream is just a failure.

I know nothing of Magistream, but I can't help but think that comment was rude and inappropriate. Please try to be nice; it was not necessary to say that.

~

Exchanging any sort of currency, real or virtual, for eggs, hatchlings, or dragons is expressly forbidden.

^^Straight out of the Terms and Conditions. So, this would be against the Terms and Conditions.

Even if it wasn't against the Terms and Conditions, I still wouldn't really want this. ^^;; I might never catch a CB Gold, but I'd feel like I was cheating if I bought one even if it was with DC's own virtual currency.

Edited by Windnose

@Infinis: Let me put it this way. I usually suck at trading. Either I never have anything to offer, or don't advertise right or something, but I can't really get nice stuff unless I catch it. (I couldn't even get a simple Paper...) Currency would really help me.

Currency would allow users without a fast internet connection the chance of obtaining more valuable dragons.

It's all well and good to gift, but it would be nice if newer players didn't have to live on the charity of other users.

Edited by DarkEternity

I don't really mind, particularly, but 5 gold sounds a lot nicer than 5000 because when you get up to k... money is worth basically nothing at all.

Some other questions which need to be addressed:

How would gold be earned?

How will you drain currency to prevent dragons becoming worthless over time?

It's so worthless because they have click mines where you can get about 5k per day. (And that's if you're going easy.) I doubt we'd have that, so that problem's solved.

Again, I figure for raising blockers. Or, for raising anything, but you get more Gold if you raise common stuff.

Drain currency? Not an economist...um...adjust for inflation?

It's all well and good to gift, but it would be nice if newer players didn't have to live on the charity of other users.
THIS. Yes. THIS. And they'd only get that start if they realized where the newbie gifting threads were- I got "here are the click sites and here's a link to a mentor. Have fun." Wasn't told about that at all. Edited by stogucheme

@Infinis: Let me put it this way. I usually suck at trading. Either I never have anything to offer, or don't advertise right or something, but I can't really get nice stuff unless I catch it. (I couldn't even get a simple Paper...) Currency would really help me.

So you are suggesting this because it would help *you*. What about all the other people it would hurt?

What about the people who can't collect the gold? If someone sucks at clicking eggs, what makes you think they'll do any better at collecting gold? Unless you just want to *give* them the gold.

What about people who *do* depend on trading to get what they want, and now suddenly there are no good trades because everyone wants gold instead?

Virtual currency is against the ToS and I prefer it stay that way. In-game currency would *completely* change how the game is played, turning it into a game that I for one don't want to play.

edit: I definitely do not agree with giving out gold for raising blockers. That is forcing someone to play the way *you* want them to play. What if they don't like the blockers? Oops, too bad, they aren't allowed to get the gold then! That would suck.

Edited by Marie19R

I have a feeling my dragons would bite me if I tried to give away the currency.

But this sounds like an idea that would go along with hoarding. IE. being able to trade hoarded trinkets or whatever that ended up being.

No, just... No. Ingame currency makes the game more complicated. We have no 'shop' to 'buy' eggs here nor are we going to in the near future far as I am aware. 'Buying' eggs is considered, in a sense, as spontanious egg creation which is heavily against here.

So you are suggesting this because it would help *you*. What about all the other people it would hurt?

What about the people who can't collect the gold? If someone sucks at clicking eggs, what makes you think they'll do any better at collecting gold? Unless you just want to *give* them the gold.

What about people who *do* depend on trading to get what they want, and now suddenly there are no good trades because everyone wants gold instead?

Virtual currency is against the ToS and I prefer it stay that way. In-game currency would *completely* change how the game is played, turning it into a game that I for one don't want to play.

*blink* I believe I listed the pros and cons...I wouldn't have suggested it if it only benefited me, and that's also statistically impossible.

1. How would they not be able to collect it? And if they can't get the dragons they're screwed anyway.

2. ...then you can sell your stuff for Gold, and trade using that?

@Dolphinsong: It's not spontaneous egg creation. It's trading, the same way you trade a CB Gold for a Neglected.

Edited by stogucheme

Notice i said 'shop to buy', not 'trade'. Large difference there. Remember, we have ratios in effect here. Buying an egg from the shop neglates that ratio, throwing it out of balance as the shop is creating that egg when you buy it. That is considered spontaneous egg creation as you did not fight against others in the cave for it nor bred for it. You simply bought it from a shop which created it at the moment of purchace.

Oh! I'm referring to buying eggs from other users. Ones who did do all that fighting stuff. smile.gif

Which people would it hurt? The elites, the middle class or the lower class or the newer players?

What about the people who can't collect the gold?

The only people I consider to be unable to collect gold are those who don't have access to the internet, unless you care to elaborate.

And what good would currency do those people who sell their eggs/hatchlings for currency and don't need it for anything? Its more of a loss in my honest opinion. Not everyone asks for anything in return when trading, freely giving the egg(s) away. Others ask for certain types of eggs in exchange (such as a CB black for example).

In all honesty, currency is junk that has no true purpose. Besides, whats to keep people from charging a million coin for a 12th gen messy tinsel or for a cb black? There is no regulation that way. We already have issues with ppl placing value on certain breeds and weither its bred or CB, with currency it will get a LOT worse.

Dayum, people do hate themselves some MagiStream.

So the gold would basically be a stand-in for eggs? I can see this being difficult to implement when there's no use for it, ex. to buy dragons or whatnot. People'd just let it rot. Sure, it could help with trading, but unless people actually think it has value, it won't be of any use.

Besides, whats to keep people from charging a million coin for a 12th gen messy tinsel or for a cb black?

The fact that no one would buy them at such prices, for one.

Edited by RheaZen

And what good would currency do those people who sell their eggs/hatchlings for currency and don't need it for anything? Its more of a loss in my honest opinion. Not everyone asks for anything in return when trading, freely giving the egg(s) away. Others ask for certain types of eggs in exchange (such as a CB black for example).

In all honesty, currency is junk that has no true purpose. Besides, whats to keep people from charging a million coin for a 12th gen messy tinsel or for a cb black? There is no regulation that way. We already have issues with ppl placing value on certain breeds and weither its bred or CB, with currency it will get a LOT worse.

Nope. The reason why humans moved from the bartering system to currency was because a standard form of money was easier than the following:

A wants bread and has an apple.

B wants an apple and has an egg.

C wants an egg and has bread.

A gives B the apple so B can give C the egg and C can give A the bread.

(If your head's already spinning, this wasn't that complicated back then.)

Currency is an always available form of money that can be saved up, unlike dragons.

Nothing's to stop people from charging that. They just might not get offers.

Edited by stogucheme

Gold, i WOULD love to use it.

But all the richer players might hit the Millions of gold. It would ruin rarity ratios. Trading would basicly be

Have:

AP Blocker Hatchling

Want:

200,000 Gold

And richer people would pay it! It would be a pain for poorer players (*coughlikemecough*) to get things be because trading would all be done by rich players.

Gold, i WOULD love to use it.

But all the richer players might hit the Millions of gold. It would ruin rarity ratios. Trading would basicly be

Have:

AP Blocker Hatchling

Want:

200,000 Gold

And richer people would pay it! It would be a pain for poorer players (*coughlikemecough*) to get things be because trading would all be done by rich players.

Well, DC already limits us to 4 hatchies per transaction. What if it limited Gold?

MagiStream has 54000 users. DC has 850000 users. DC is much more successful. Why make a larger game model after a much less successful one? Currency would completely change the game, just almost every one of your suggestions. If you want a successful suggestion, don't suggest things that make the game a completely different one.

I personally don't like it.

Trade values already have some issues with eggs being devalued as they get more common/inflation problems.

Gold won't help that, it'll just force people to raise obscene numbers of dragons they may not even like to have a chance at trading.

People might start out asking for reasonable prices, but it will just inflate eventually.

It's happened over and over and over on the sites I've been to that use a currency. It just becomes utterly worthless. Where once being a millionaire was an achievement, you're a newbie/not serious if you're not a multi-millionaire now.

Sure, it can take years. But it's always one of the reasons I eventually drift away from sites.

Sure, it wouldn't be REQUIRED on DC.

But then why bother asking for specific eggs when you can just ask for gold and buy the specific eggs from other people?

I just don't want to see "HAVE 10k GOLD. WANT [insert awesome rare egg here]" posts instead of actual eggs/hatchlings in the trading topics.

Gold per profile? Or per trade?

I think it would need to be BOTH,

Or make diffrent limits to each dragon/rarity or something..

Another thing that could be added,

Is a Trading Control Mod or something rather than Rubyshoes trying to control the whole of site discussion..,