stogucheme

DC Gold

Should a currency economy be added to DC? Please choose the option that BEST fits your opinion. If you null your voice isn't being heard.  

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Combining the yes answers & the no answers at this point puts them at 11 to 87...with 5 in neutral. 1 in 8 people have said no to this idea.

Uh...I think that speaks for itself...

Combining the yes answers & the no answers at this point puts them at 11 to 87...with 5 in neutral. 1 in 8 people have said no to this idea.

Uh...I think that speaks for itself...

I THINK you mean one in eight has said yes - 7 out of every 8 have said no... unsure.gif

I THINK you mean one in eight has said yes - 7 out of every 8 have said no... unsure.gif

Yea. That's what I meant.

Forgive me...even though I got up 2 hours ago my head is still booting up. It will probably finish booting before I have to go to work.

I chose "yes" because the currency could somewhat replace IOUs.

How, exactly? I mean, for people who don't *care* about getting those certain dragons, I guess they could just accept the gold instead. But if someone is given an IOU for a certain dragon, I don't think giving them gold is going to help anything.

Or do you mean that everyone would just accept Gold instead of dragons, so there would be no need for IOUs? Yeah, I can't see that happening. A *lot* of people would still prefer to trade the "old-fashioned" way.

Except not really, because I know I can't be the only one who would refuse gold and demand specific dragons even if it was an IOU instead.

I mean, why should I accept the gold if I have no use for it?

Think of it this way:

If I have an IOU for a dragon, and somebody fulfills it, then I get what I want and they get what they want. If somebody gives me gold, they get what they want and I still don't have what I want--and no guarantee that I'd be able to get what I want ever.

If nobody takes me up, I can let it grow up and use it as breeding fodder for future trades.

The gold NEEDS to have a use to make it appealing. If I can't spend that gold on something I for-sure will get that I want, why would I ever accept it? But to make a shop as a money sink to make the gold useful so it doesn't just build up in the system would make DC a pet site, or at least make it one step closer to being a pet site, and I wouldn't want that at all.

If the gold is just used between users, it becomes useless to me because I have no guarantee that I'll find somebody who has what I want and is asking a price I can afford--much the same as it is now with trading. So... Again, why would I accept a useless currency when I could ask something reasonable that I actually want?

With the suggestion being a colossal failure I don't see how anyone would even bother, let alone replacing IOUs.

Glad to see that the majority is as against this as the 'vocal minority.'

Voted no, I still think that this is a terrible idea and that there is no way to make gold work for DC without destroying the entire concept and functionality of the game and rebuilding it as something completely different.

With the suggestion being a colossal failure I don't see how anyone would even bother, let alone replacing IOUs.

Maybe because you cannot see the result without voting? Just saying.

Apart from that, if DC gold was implemented, currency might indeed replace IOUs with lots of low-value hatchlings.

Maybe because you cannot see the result without voting? Just saying.

Apart from that, if DC gold was implemented, currency might indeed replace IOUs with lots of low-value hatchlings.

"Colossal failure" refers to "the suggestion", not the poll. I was not even talking about public opinion, because if that's accounted for the suggestion is already nuked to death effectively.

I voted "no, but could be improved", because I don't like the ideas of trading with gold or buying eggs with gold (for all the reasons others have sufficiently explained), but I don't see anything wrong with the suggestions in the thread to have shops for things that have no real impact on the game (skins, decorations, that sort of thing). I probably wouldn't use it at all, but I don't think it would wreck my game if others did (unless it was a slippery slope toward being too much like pet sites - I do really value the simplicity of Dragon Cave).

As the 100th voter for the negative option, I'm gonna say no. Many valid reasons as to why this won't work were stated in past pages, so I see no need to repeat them.

Edited by ForeverFlygon

Hmm, I don't really see how adding Gold to the current method of trading would benefit the game - I think the current system works well, IOU's included.

Now if there was a non-player related shop (as in, no players can post their trades there, we already have the forum for that) where you could only buy CB's I might see the good side of adding currency, as not many players have the necessary combination of skill, great internet connection (& luck) to catch CB rares and this would give them a fighting chance and would encourage people to pick up blocker species (I take that would be the source of the "Gold"). Naturally, the prices for rares would have to be very steep and earning Gold would have to be difficult so that such a shop would not have a devastating influence on the DC economy. (I don't have enough time to read through all the posts, so I apologize in advance if this idea has been presented before)

So, in short:

- having DC Gold as an addition to the current way of trading - no, I'll have to pass on that one as I like the way our trading works and I don't see the need of complicating it even further

- having an oportunity of earning Gold by raising blocker species and using it in order to buy CB's from a player independent shop - a tentative yes, perhaps that could work without disrupting the whole trading system that's currently established if it's well thought out and executed

Edited by stagazer_7

I voted yes to be a rebel.

So take that.

But did you mean it ? If so - please say why - it's only fair !

I voted yes to be a rebel.

So take that.

Sure, and what's the point of doing so?

Not even going to mention the fact that the game rules already state that currency being used in transactions is forbidden.

But this is just plain stupid. It may be a good idea in theory, but in practice it would just be moronic. DC isnt a store, it's an adoptables thingy. Trading is a cool part of the game because you get something neat for giving someone something they think is neat.

The Gold would be worthless on anything else and would only serve to ruin trades.

This idea just has fail written all over it.

I voted no, thats probably pretty obvious.. but I figured i should pitch some ideas for things I would support the use of gold for smile.gif

*Custom dragons (if the artists of said (existing) dragons would be open to creating some customs, at a high price value.. would essentially swap one of your existing dragons for the custom image) For example, I have two silvers that I would LOVE to have scars on, because they are fighting types in my story/descriptions)

*Community pots: Donating gold to these pots could have fun aspect of unlocking new backgrounds, themes, scenery overlays to lay on top of existing dragons (like snowflakes for winter, falling leaves for fall. This would not interfere with the dragons themselves, would just be an overlay...)

*A custom skin store (something in game that people could create skins for that people could /buy/ with their gold).

None of these would change game play. Its not creating new dragons (or creating a dragon store). It /might/ open the possibility of changing some of the incave dragons a touch, but only if the owners of said dragons are cool with the idea of tossing custom marks on the existing dragons.

In all honesty though, without a complete revamp of the way things are done around here, having gold does us no good at this time. Now, if TJ finds some time and decides to add new features and twists to the site, then gold collecting might be something worth persueing, but at this time, theres really no need.

*Custom dragons (if the artists of said (existing) dragons would be open to creating some customs, at a high price value.. would essentially swap one of your existing dragons for the custom image) For example, I have two silvers that I would LOVE to have scars on, because they are fighting types in my story/descriptions)

Noooooo. Dx

This is a huge reason I didn't join one site when all my friends were joining it. I like having set dragons to collect. Dx

*A custom skin store (something in game that people could create skins for that people could /buy/ with their gold).

I feel this is easier if we just stick to public skins. I think some browsers have the option to completely customize your background, though?

I personally rather avoid selling backgrounds and such for the cave, Dragonadopters already does something like that and the prices for many of them are quite high.

eh, was worth a shot to suggest a use for gold. I had no better ideas smile.gif

I would really like to see this thread remade, or have the poll reset and some new ideas edited into the original post. I believe everyone is voting no on the original suggestion, which is indeed very complex and would change a big part of the game. However, I /think/ people would be a lot more amiable towards gold if it was only used for trivial trinkets. Not custom dragons or wallpapers, because that has a lot of abuse potential, but stuff like pre-made wallpapers, or the use of Halloween or Christmas costumes for one's dragons, or a one-time inbred check or single-use common BSA actions... sickness-healing potions, things that predict a dragon's future gender, etc etc. Little stuff that would by no means hurt anyone who didn't participate. X'D

I would really like to see this thread remade, or have the poll reset and some new ideas edited into the original post. I believe everyone is voting no on the original suggestion, which is indeed very complex and would change a big part of the game. However, I /think/ people would be a lot more amiable towards gold if it was only used for trivial trinkets. Not custom dragons or wallpapers, because that has a lot of abuse potential, but stuff like pre-made wallpapers, or the use of Halloween or Christmas costumes for one's dragons, or a one-time inbred check or single-use common BSA actions... sickness-healing potions, things that predict a dragon's future gender, etc etc. Little stuff that would by no means hurt anyone who didn't participate. X'D

I think people don't want it in period. I surely don't. Even if it is for backgrounds or being able to see the temp holiday sprites.

I think the poll shows that no one wants it in original option or not. It just would not work and would mess up DC way to much with how there is no goals or anything set by the game itself. We play how we want and adding gold in will change the play styles of all not just some.

I think people don't want it in period. I surely don't. Even if it is for backgrounds or being able to see the temp holiday sprites.

I think the poll shows that no one wants it in original option or not. It just would not work and would mess up DC way to much with how there is no goals or anything set by the game itself. We play how we want and adding gold in will change the play styles of all not just some.

How would other people's ability to use gold to give their dragons silly costumes change anyone's play style? xd.png;;