picknick10

Closed/ Rebooting

Jeth watched as Jaden left the group to go upstairs, he seemed miffed. Maybe he was upset that Jeth got a lot of attention for his dragon but no one gave any praise to the Untamed. Before Jaden disappeared Jeth called out to him. "Congratulations on your Dragon hatching!" The elemental's voice boomed and reverberated off the stone walls of the hallway, the sound was enough to basically notify the entire school and maybe a tad on the deafening side for those too close. Of course it never once occurred to the elemental that this might just embarrass Jaden. Chip cringed at the sudden noise and didn't hear Chobit tell her to come out. If anything she receded farther into the half shell by bringing her tail in as well. "Too loud. Too loud!"

Was... was he the only one who recognized the big black horse that all of a sudden sprang to life? He looked at it as it kicked around, almost murdered the Catman and then dissipated into thin air. He rubbed his eyes, blinked hard. No one was gonna acknowledge it? Oookay, must have been his... imagination? He was a little bit worried. But then the Elemental mentioned his name, and his mind clicked back to the reality trying to disregard the image of the horse from his mind. Tatsuke responded to Jeth's comment about their previous opening conversation a little bit after he said it. His guard lowered as he said it, too. Bad idea considering this school. "Oh yes, I was going to sa-"

BOOM JETH'S VOICE. His brain was ringing. He flinched, his head lowering, a wince escaping his throat. For something made out of rock, that guy could get loud! He didn't recover for a minute, beings he was almost exactly right next to him when he let out that lion roar.

Jaden flinched at the sudden shout and tripped up the stairs. He growled quietly and picked himself up, "Thanks" he breathed, too quiet for any to hear. He was sure that got other's attention. On the other hand, Jaden had screamed bloody murder twice and no one noticed. The school seemed to be bigger than he thought. He looked at Zeek as the hatchling came up to his side, "You'll never ignore me, right?" he asked as they reached the second floor. Being small in a culture all about being BIG and strong, he was often left out on things, making it a peeve. The feathered dragon shook his head and grinned. "Good" he pet the dragon's head.

"Well let's alert EVERYONE!" Faze pointed a little finger at Jeth, "SOME of us have sensitive ears" he climbed up onto Kira's shoulder. Kira rubbed her temple and shrugged, "Hmph, I'm going for a run" she stated, walking past the others to the outside. Chobit trotted along after her along the grass and into the woods. Once within the trees, Kira shifted into her werewolf form, snarling and feeling the dirt under her paws again. This was much different than the pavement of the city. Buildings were now trees. "Stay here, I'll be back" she looked at Faze and Chobit. She then ran off along the forest, not going too far from the school.

(Yeah, Sin has to separate now. I'm gonna go with she figured out schedules on her own.)

The arrangement of the paper made sense to her only after she'd missed the most important class of the day. Even now, looking at the paper caused her to squint and think hard about he way it was all set up, why it listed and why times were in one spot and not another. The hardest part, she concluded, was the idea of putting time into numbers. It made sense, and it wasn't like her home never likened the position of the sun to certain hours, but especially among her friends time was told in sun positions. "What time is it?" "Just below the west-end of mid-sky." It was much more eloquent that way. "What time is it?" "One." Psh. The world was uncultured.

But she was just complaining in her head now. Not like it mattered anyway. She could make fun of whatever she wanted in her mind. The thought of thinking poorly of things around her without anyone saying anything about it went to her... head. That wall, such a tacky paint job! Swords, made for people too scared to punch their enemies in the face! Small dogs, just mutant cats! Clouds! Flooring tiles! Porcelain elephants! No one could stop her! AH HAH HAH HAH! She would continue to mock the world in her head and the world would be none the wiser! No one could defend themselves from taunting, hurtful thoughts!

...As anyone could tell, she was bored. Her face was totally blank, but her feet swiftly slunk down the stairs as if packed with all the will in the word to remain quiet. After a few minutes, the hating game got boring. She didn't have another class for an hour, and she couldn't fill up her time by just thinking of things she didn't like. Perhaps she'd go outside, find a ball. She could juggle it with her feet or something, maybe kick it around if there was a goal.

Jeth looked down at Faze a little sheepishly. "Sorry, I forgot how fragile everyone else is." He said apologetically to the rodent. The elemental watched as each person left although none looked all that happy. Even Jaden seem overly pleased. With a heavy sigh Jeth turned around to the cringing Tatsuke.

"I'm sorry, are you ok?" he asked as he knelt by Tatsuke. Chip floated up to tatsuke's side as well and peeked out from under her shell. "Is he hurt?" "I'm not sure."

Tatsuke muttered something in another language. A simple word of some sort, a long 'Eeee' ending in an aspirated 'tah'. It was probably an expression of pain, like an 'ouch', but a paranoid person could have took it as something else. His hand ruffled the hair over his ear. "I am okay, really, I am good." he flashed a little smile at Jeth. His ears were still throbbing little, but fragile as humans were a loud noise wasn't going to emaciate his eardrums. "Just tell when going to loud. I am little, tiny human! You are big strong!"

The little dragon had come up to his side. Gosh, he just had to smile at that little one too. The pink in its hair, the swirl on the half-cracked shell... it was the same pink as the blossom trees from his home. For a split second he was a little nostalgic. The pink in his homeland was an omen of good fortune and beauty, but also of the painfully short time that it was there. "I am okay, no worry!" Or was the right word Hakuna Mattata? He didn't know the name of the dragon yet, so before he gave the dragon a nickname and offended Jeth on some level, he decided to ask. "What is dragon's name? They is very pretty. Remind me of something from home."

"Chip."

"Chip."

Both dragon and elemental responded. "Well, Chip's full name is Chip of the Scale. I named him-""Her""Er, her. I named her in a manner similar to my own people. Chip because is a piece of another dragon...sort of, and since she is a Dragonshe is 'of the Scale.' Just like how I am Jeth of the Slate since I am made from the living stone that formed in slate." Jeth said quite proud of his ingeniousness although just about anyone else would have called it unimaginative.

(Hey Sai, if you'd like Jaden can run into Sin. She's ambling about aimlessly, she would notice him. May annoy him, but she'd notice him.)

"Chippu."That accent killed everything. "In Nihoun, sometime when person do something great we give them title. Sound much like that... only in Nihouneese, of naturally." While he didn't find it exactly creative, he liked the idea that Jeth was going to name the dragon after something that was natural to his own culture. It fit the idea of stones. Jeth and Chip. It had a ring to it. Tatsuke kept in mind that if it fit the dragon when it hatched, he would name his companion in his own language, like how Jeth named the daydream 'Chip of the Scale'. Another thought was present for a moment... how exactly were Elementals born? Did they just... poof out of rock? Were there water and fire ones too? That thought went to the back of his head to save for a cultural discussion. Maybe one they they would swap legends and quips. In that case, that would have to be one of the first things he asked.

Jaden's ears twitched at the faint patter of footsteps. He saw Sin walking towards him, or the stairs more likely. She seemed off in her own world. He looked at the floor, perhaps it wasn't a good idea to socialize when he wasn't in a good mood. He hated meeting new people anyway. He was too shy for his own good. He looked back towards the stairs. He couldn't go back down, that would be too awkward. If he walked down the hallway, he'd be spotted sooner. Trapped it seemed. Jaden muttered under his breath and walked to the side, leaning against the wall. Perhaps he'd blend? Not likely. Zeek watched him in his odd behavior.

Dain watched silently as the group of people in front of him conversed. It was sudden but sort of expected when Jeth let out a loud billow into the air towards Jaden. Dain frowned, his eyes twitching in pain as he lifted his hand to mess with his ear with his finger. He sighed as he watched Kira walk away from the group and Jeth turn to pay attention to the human. Dain followed silently behind Kira as she walked away. She mentioned something about going for a run and Dain shrugged, "well, I guess I will join you." He took off after her and into the forest.

Sin had a sharp eye... but it was pretty obvious to see Jaden scrunched against the wall like a starfish clinging to a glass tank. The sight didn't just cause her to turn her head, she full out stopped. The egg was still clutched to her chest between her crossed arms. "Are you okay...?" Obviously that wasn't a race-thing, he looked like an Untamed. She heard rumors of those, but of course had never actually seen one since they lived in that big city and never visited little run-down towns like her home. The idea of the animal tail and animal ears however, wasn't the kind of legend you just forgot. "Y'know it's not like we have a ninja class we have to practice. If there was, you'd need a lot of work."

Kira came to a slow as she smelt another scent. Her tail swished in content from the running. She raised onto two legs and looked around. She spotted Dain and flattened her ears in annoyance. Why was he so determined to hang around her? Was it an honest attempt at friendship or a vampire playing coy? "Aren't you suppose to be hiding in a coffin during the day?" she asked. Kira had wondered what the actual standards of the whole coffin thing was. Vampires had the widest set of rumors it seemed, from mindless bats, to high-class beings.

Jaden grimaced as Sin stopped to talk. "I wasn't-" he paused. Well, he was trying to hide. That was too awkward to say. What was he suppose to do? Hang from the ceiling to hide? "I can hunt perfectly fine thanks" he fumbled. He meant he had the ability to hide and/or stalk, but it had come out odd. "Just leaning on a wall" he looked off somewhere else. Saying he was avoiding social contact seemed too strange.

((The accent doesn't really kill everything. For anime lovers like me it's the bomb happy.gif

Course that might just be me.))

"Really? I believe other cultures do the same thing. Perhaps you find that tradition's roots in our history since that's how my people have named themselves since the second generation." Jeth said fascinated by this fact. He would offer to help Tatsuke up before leading the boy outside. "Oh, you were going to say something before I shouted. What was it?" He asked remembering that he had cut Tatsuke off earlier in order to congratulate Jaden.

[[Wow, you guys posted quite a bit in a few days. I'm starting on my essay today (got all of my reading out of the way at last) so I'll hopefully manage some time tonight or tomorrow to catch up and squeeze in a post.]]

( C: )

"Well, you look flustered." the Azel teased with an impish smile. "Never doubted your hunting abilities, but I sure hope ya wouldn't sneak up on a rabbit like that. If it stood still for you it would only be because it was confused about what you was trying to do." She chuckled a little, her laugh a cross between a squeaky wheel and a hyena. Her silver eyes glinted in enjoyment. Oh how she loved to torment. "I don't bite, y'know. If you wanted to slip passed me though, the best way to do it is to slink to the side of the hallway and keep your eyes down. Look inconspicuous. Usually trying to hide does less than biting the bullet."

She would leave if he asked nicely. But for his own good, it was best that he didn't snap at her. That would just challenge her, ebb her on like a cat after a wounded mouse. Then again, at this point the only people who knew this about her were far away in the east in a rundown town whose name meant nothing more than a waste of air.

~~~

For a moment Tatsuke felt like being that guy and suggesting that maybe they got the custom from his culture instead. The claim wasn't unabashed, however... as his land had come into life alongside dragons far before there was even anything more than spoken word. Of course, like the rest of the human race, even Nihoun slowly began to demonize dragons as dragons debased them. Perhaps it was the dragons who created the idea originally... Ah, all things to add to a cheat sheet of questions for a discussion about culture. "I was saying that, back in room, I am having drawings I do. Also small bit of... Cahn-ree-graff-ay? What is word for fancy ink words..." He thought for a minute before dropping it. He was sure Jeth would get it anyway. "I am not very good, but good enough. I most do board games. Go, Shogi, Hijara... but is hardest because no one know how to play, and when know how to play too easy to beat." Even Tatsuke's mother, a year after teaching him how to play Go, ended up refusing to play with him because of the humiliating defeats. His father didn't do much better. They joked that when Tatsuke became a man, he would become a general with a big fancy tent and a big, color map of the world. That, was of course, years and years ago. Before an end to the conflict was in sight.

"Drawings. Like the human version of etchings?" Jeth's people lacked paint so all images were carved directly into the stone. he sadly had no idea what cvaligraphy was so Jeth ended up staring blankly as tatsuke tried to explain. "I hope you will draw me someday." Jeth said warmly as they got outside. "And maybe I can sculpt you sometime. I think that would be a lot of fun." Jeth said clapping his hands together. Chip floated down near Tatsuke's head and peared down at him from under her shell.

Jaden bared his teeth and growled, "A rabbit is child's play to me. Couldn't even outrun me. What is that all you hunt?" he bristled. Hunting was his culture. It was an honor system, keeping his eyes to the ground was a joke to him. He wasn't afraid. No, more annoyed with having to mingle outside his specie. This person didn't seem to have any good intention from that matter. Then again, he could recognize her as a demon. By now he'd detached himself from the wall and stared up at Sin in a glare. Zeek sat down in his spot, seeming to notice the tension.

If she was being very nasty, she wasn't trying to be that bad. She just liked to tease, that was all. But her teasing was often on the verge of 'torment'. Sin never knew when to draw a line, not knowing any other way. Hunting wasn't part of her culture at all, in fact compared to every other student here she probably was at rock-bottom for having a culture of her own. A species, yes, a people with some quirks, yes, but just having a few panels on a cloth wasn't enough to be considered a quilt. Whatever it was, Sin was proud of it... "I'm not a hunter, not by an Untamed's standards. 'less you call shooting fish out of the river with a crossbow hunting. You could call my advice... observational criticism."

She emphasized her point with a clawed index finger. She acknowledged his glare, but decided today she was gonna be the bigger person. A normal day she would have just glared back, growled and insulted them. But nothing killed a person more than when they were glaring or growling at someone and the person responded with a smile. Especially when she had a feeling this was one of those people who saw Azels as 'demons'. But she would give benefit of the doubt on that issue.

~~~

"That would be great idea, but I tell now, I am not amaze-cellent." He said, sheepishly. His shoe met grass, and the consistency of the ground changed. A warm breeze met him as they stepped outside into the sun. He figured as the year went on, the seasons would shift and cold would settle where warmth had once been, so it was best to enjoy the weather while it lasted. Chip floated to him, staring like a child under a box. "Why is Chippu in shell if he is born?"

Jaden narrowed his eyes as she explained she wasn't a hunter, "Hardly" he muttered. Her smile didn't help ease him in the least. It seemed more sadistic for the sake she hadn't actually said anything to make peace. His tail raised a bit, and his pupils thinned into cat-like slits, somewhat similar to an aggressive animal. Jaden had always had a fiery temper. It balanced out defense-wise since he was so small. It warded off predators so to say. He assumed this was a product of that. Or perhaps he was still ruffled from being ignored and almost trampled a few minutes before.

"Well that is good to know. Thank you for telling me." Jeth said cheerfully to Tatsuke. "I still look forward to it though. The art of other cultures should be very interesting." He added reassuringly.

"Stop saying 'he' I'm a girl." She said telepathically to Tatsuke and threw what appeared to be a bit of pink cloud. It was a daydream, a small one that might distract a person for a second or two. "I believe she is a little shy...or perhaps just likes the shell." Jeth said although he wasn't really sure either.

[[Tron, all that really happened was that Sword Play ended. Jeth's Daydream dragon, Chip, hatched along with Jaden's, named Zeek.

Inside are Sin and Jaden (currently having a tense encounter near the stairway on the second floor), my two (whom I'll put up in a moment), and Nick (PickNick hasn't posted just yet).

Outside are Jeth and Tatsuke (talking as they walk), and Kira (with Faze and her dragon, Chobit) and Dain (who followed the werewolf girl on her run).

Hope this helps!

*Also, before someone else takes it, I wanna claim Sorge's ability to create lucid illusions based on a person's greatest fears/sorrow*]]

Sin had left, hardly a word spoken after she asked for his help with something. Felic knew she wasn't used to asking someone for help and so he didn't feel stung or indignant about the Azazel leaving without an answer from him. Watching her walk away, the Empath rubbed at the back of his head. Well, with two hours before his only class for the day started, what was he supposed to do? A glance down at the dark egg in his arms didn't yield any real answers.

After a few moments of silence, the boy's stomach reminded him that he had yet to eat anything. Maybe I'll just head to the cafeteria then... As he walked, he pulled out the apple he had stored away and began to eat it. For the present time, there were no overwhelming emotions clouding his mind and he relished in the calmness. When he reached the cafeteria, he was only halfway done with his apple; setting it on a napkin while he grabbed an actual plate of breakfast. He was entirely alone save for his unhatched dragon companion and that was how he preferred it.

Once the first hour of classes had passed, Felic had finished his food and returned the dirty dishes to be cleaned and stored for later use. Now, he sat in a small little room designed for students who wished to study quietly. It seemed like the peaceful silence would last for the rest of the day but, when the walls suddenly vibrated from a loud boom of sorts, the boy sighed softly and closed his eyes against the distant wash of conflicting emotions. One could only wish...

---

Oh, what was she going to do for the day? Soria was immensely bored from the very start when she learned she didn't have a single class for two days. Of course, she probably shouldn't complain since it might end up being a positive thing when homework could turn out to be a bit overwhelming later in the year. Still... She shook her head, lightly pacing her room and stopping once to glance over at the egg she had claimed as her own.

I wonder what you'll be like. Maybe you'll have an affinity for music too! She was hopeful at least. Checking the green colored shell for any cracks, the young witch left her room for the library in an attempt to learn a bit more about dragons. If she were lucky, she might even be able to figure out what her dragon would be before it hatched. Who knew?

[[i'm thinking that Duordin will have the ability to utilize energy based attacks like what's in his picture...]]

((That's kinda what I had going for Chobit's darkness cloud. But I guess hers wasn't exactly specific to the individual. Just an educated guess. Also they were physical manifestations instead of illusions o3o))

(Sword class ended, some dragons hatched, Jaden almost got trampled by Satanic Pony and no one acknowledged it. Everyone is either going outside for some unexplainable reason or is lurking through the halls. The only big thing you missed is sword class.)

(Argh Sin is so hard for me to do. She's my total opposite. But the only way I'll connect better with the character is to practice! *Inspirational background music*)

"I'm not trying to bite you or nothin'. Don't look at me like I'm some kinda killer bear." She crossed her arms. It wasn't a threat, the wavy tone she put into her voice caused it to sound more like a joke than anything. It was obvious to tell her presence was less and less appreciated by the moment, and having her fun only got so far when she was getting no reaction aside from belligerence. "No need to get so defensive. I didn't mean anything by all that, kid. Laugh a little, it's a person's way of saying the world ain't got ya yet."

She snorted a puff of air from her nose, freckled nose twitching slightly. That was the nicest she could get, and judging by the brick wall around that guy it probably wasn't gonna work. She pseudo-smile dropped from her face, eyes suddenly getting serious, almost a little bored and annoyed. Her normal look. Time to stop beating around the bush. "Bah. I can tell we ain't gonna hit it off. I can see it in your eyes." Life wasn't some kind of lovey friendship story where people became the worst of enemies before becoming best of friends, it was a collection of novels written in blood and grudges. The entire story could probably be predicted by the start of each chapter. Off the bat she was going to say he was a very defensive guy, probably snapped or went into a shell when someone made a sarcastic comment his way no matter how harmless. A totally normal and acceptable trait in normal society, a catalyst when held to Sin's blunt attitude and cynical outlook. "Just tell me yer name and I'll get going. Can't go around the school calling ya 'Untamed'... I have another friend named that." Unless he liked the name Catboy, of course. She would start calling him that if Jaden didn't tell her his name.

~~~~

Chip's cloud worked. Tatsuke was effectively a firefighting robot triceratops for three seconds. When he tuned back in Jeth was already done with his explanation. "Oh yes, that explain..." Time to redirect the conversation! "Back home, there was elder who had drawings from thousands of years long time. When I was little boy, father take me to see them. I was bored because he talked all about drawings and the year they were from. I went when I was big, wished I had been listening. But old Nihounese drawings not well drawn, but have very nice... what is word? Sty-leh? Have own styleh to them. I draw better, but loose much of styleh."

Edited by Luckyclaw

((Lol, satanic pony. Yeah that was a bit of a comical scene of stupidity. Like... walking and a paper smacks you in the face, and you just keep walking. Obviously Jaden is the only sane one here ;p))

Jaden eased up when she explained she was joking. He didn't smile, but at least he wasn't baring his fangs anymore. Joking wasn't on his agenda at the moment. By now his frustration made him want to beat on the dummies in class again with his sword. Jaden had always been introverted, but his emotions were easily riled. His ears flattened out as his pupils widened back out to their circular state, Kid?... he thought. Typical. Not that he expected more. He'd only hoped to be viewed more adult-like in the school. Perhaps it was just his size that didn't permit it. Being short was bad enough, but he had a small frame to-boot. "Jaden" he grunted, looking off to the side finally.