angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Breeding between scrolls

Ahaha sooo this suggestion came up in another thread and I thought it sounded decent so here we go.

My idea was that there would be a TOTALLY OPTIONAL THING where you could turn on/off breeding requests to your dragons. You'd have the option to either turn it on for every dragon on your scroll, or do it on an individual basis through the dragon's pages (think an action like breed or kill).

If you came across someone else's dragon that you really liked, and they had the option turned on, it'd take you to a teleport-like page where you could offer a partner for breeding. They could see its lineage and accept or decline; if an egg is produced, it has a 50% chance of whose scroll it goes to.

Although... there'd be an option when you first submit a request/accept a request asking "If breeding is successful, would you like to try to claim the egg?" If one person selects yes and the other no, the yes person gets the egg. If both select yes, it's the 50/50. If for some bizarre reason both select no, it heads to the AP. If one person is egglocked, it acts the same way as selecting a no answer. If both people select yes but one is egglocked, the non-egglocked person will recieve the egg. If both people select yes but both are egglocked, it will head to the AP.

Or as an option that disregards the 50/50 thing entirely, perhaps multiscroll breeding would have half the chance of success but would produce an egg for each person of the same type if it suceeded. Thanks for the suggestion, Sock!

Anyway, here are some reasons why I think this would be a helpful feature!

1) WHY LIMITED HOLIDAY DRAGONS MAKES ME WANT THIS

I always freeze one Holiday dragon. Always. As such, I only have a single adult of beautiful species such as Val 09's and Rosebuds. Now, those two dragons, in my opinion, are some of the most beautiful the cave has to offer. But alas! If I were to breed my CB Gold and CB Rosebud together and get an egg--I'd really have no way to continue the checker lineage myself. I'd never be able to get a 2nd gen Rosebud from Gold x Rosebud without sacrificing my own Rosebuds to do so. Introduce this option. I look for someone who has such a Rosebud and has her open for breeding requests and... wala! I get around to requesting, and can keep my own pretty 2nd gen Gold on my scroll without being sad that I've crippled its lineage abilities.

2) WHY PERFECT MATCHES FROM ACROSS SCROLLS MAKES ME WANT THIS

See this beautiful gentleman right here? http://dragcave.net/lineage/I4r5S

Pretty nice lineage, huh? But I'd have to invest a whole duckload of work to breed him a proper mate myself--his gen is just too high for making a mate to be easy. Now, if I could breed with dragons on other's scrolls, I could look around for someone else who has a lone dragon of similar lineage and also wants to continue the pattern. Love at first sight!

3) WHY UNIQUE NAMES MAKES ME WANT THIS

See this girl? http://dragcave.net/lineage/vFRbE

I would love to get an egg from her and Druid, a wonderful CB Gold dragon... but alas, he's not mine! Now, I could either beg the other person to let me use the name Druid for my own dragons (unlikely) or sacrifice my own dragon's name and try to convince the other person to name one of theirs as such and breed me an egg from them (also not going to happen, because I like the name and don't want to lose it). Now, introduce this--provided the person is amiable to letting their dragon breed, I can get a baby back with half the hassle! ...Now I realize that people leaving their CB Golds up for breeding requests is unlikely, BUT YOU GET THE POINT. Cool names are so cool we want to keep them for ourselves, but that also means we can't breed two dragons with perfectly matching cool names together if they're on different scrolls.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

What if you're both egg-locked? Does the egg automatically get thrown to the AP because neither of you had a slot open for it? What happens when one of you is egg-locked? Does the egg automatically go to the other's scroll? And does the egg get bred when the second person accepts? If so, then the offerer might not get a chance to get the egg if he doesn't keep a slot open at all times.

The idea is nice, but the limits in place make it hard to work.

What if you're both egg-locked? Does the egg automatically get thrown to the AP because neither of you had a slot open for it? What happens when one of you is egg-locked? Does the egg automatically go to the other's scroll? And does the egg get bred when the second person accepts? If so, then the offerer might not get a chance to get the egg if he doesn't keep a slot open at all times.

The idea is nice, but the limits in place make it hard to work.

Good questions! I think I have answers. biggrin.gif

1) If they're both egglocked, the egg goes to the AP.

2) If one person is egglocked, the other one gets the egg (unless they don't want it, then it heads to the AP anyway--see what I added in the first post).

3) Yes, the egg is bred when the other person accepts. However--this is fairly equivalent to how the trading system works. Let's say you offer on someone's egg. It's been two days, and they still haven't accepted, but they haven't declined either. You leave the trade open, but rather forget about it and go on and egglock yourself. And then right after you do so, the darn person DOES try to accept the egg--but the trade fails because you're locked! This would work the same way... leave a space open or breeder beware. ;____;

As a side note, perhaps requests could expire after... 72 hours or something? Or automatically cancel if they accept a different breeding request that's been offered.

What about the option to decline requests, but they don't go away on their own? If I wanted to use this, I might not want to breed immediately. Oh, and the requester should be able to cancel the request.

I'm not sure I'm all for this, I mean it's a nice idea I suppose but I like DC the way it is. Besides if you could "pair up" with someone else's scroll and breed dragons than the rarity of all of the dragons would go down, maybe not by a lot but it would still go down.

Edited by boscodelta

I'm not sure I'm all for this, I mean it's a nice idea I suppose but I like DC the way it is. Besides if you could "pair up" with someone else's scroll and breed dragons than the rarity of all of the dragons would go down, maybe not by a lot but it would still go down.

? I fail to see how it would go down. People with rare dragons who are active enough to be interested in other's breeding requests are likely people who are active enough to be breeding their rares weekly anyway, so no more rares would be produced than normal.

@Stogucheme: I agree that the requester should be able to cancel requests. I want this to be as similar to the trading set up as possible except, y'know, breeding instead of trading. X'D

As for requests going away on their own... my main reason for suggesting that was that I don't want a bajillion old requests to build up on people who've been away for a while/go on vacation/etc. Maybe it could be extended to a week? Or aw heck, if enough people don't want a time limit it can just be scrapped. ^^

I must flat out refuse this.

Let us imagine the situation, where PlayerA has decided not to accept the breeding of their dragons with other scrolls. They have pretty decent scroll and have a lot of rare things such as all the cb holidays, golds,silvers, etc... Pretty successful player, I'd say.

PlayerB comes accross the scroll through forum's signature and finds all the things quite pretty. Wanting to breed one of their dragons with the other's, they send PM to PlayerA... The PlayerA refuses.

Depending on what kind of PlayerB is, the result would be:

• DRAMA! PlayerB is highly disappointed and tries to persuade PlayerA to change their mind through various PMs.
  • PlayerB begins to offer things to PlayerA to get a chance to breed desptite being told "no".
  • PlayerB begins to insult the PlayerA and accuses them for being selfish or whatever comes into their minds. A lot of drama again.

There are already players, who don't want to be contacted for breedings of their holidays or rares. We don't need this kind of option for people to start harassing those players even further by asking them to enable the breeding for their dragons.

The things are just fine from the breeding side already, so lets leave it this way.

I fail to see how it would go down. People with rare dragons who are active enough to be interested in other's breeding requests are likely people who are active enough to be breeding their rares weekly anyway, so no more rares would be produced than normal.

I think I'm tired and this makes more sense in my head but il try. If two people have a CB gold and they breed them together you would get a 2nd gen PB gold baby. (Maybe they both got a CB gold by trading) And they could do this as often as they wanted, decreasing the rarity slightly.

-> Because before they each only had one gold and they quite possibly couldn't manage to get another CB gold and now its like they both have 2.

Im not sure if that made sense... Its 2am here and I should be asleep.

Edited by boscodelta

I must flat out refuse this.

Let us imagine the situation, where PlayerA has decided not to accept the breeding of their dragons with other scrolls. They have pretty decent scroll and have a lot of rare things such as all the cb holidays, golds,silvers, etc... Pretty successful player, I'd say.

PlayerB comes accross the scroll through forum's signature and finds all the things quite pretty. Wanting to breed one of their dragons with the other's, they send PM to PlayerA... The PlayerA refuses.

Depending on what kind of PlayerB is, the result would be:

• DRAMA! PlayerB is highly disappointed and tries to persuade PlayerA to change their mind through various PMs.
  • PlayerB begins to offer things to PlayerA to get a chance to breed desptite being told "no".
  • PlayerB begins to insult the PlayerA and accuses them for being selfish or whatever comes into their minds. A lot of drama again.
There are already players, who don't want to be contacted for breedings of their holidays or rares. We don't need this kind of option for people to start harassing those players even further by asking them to enable the breeding for their dragons.

The things are just fine from the breeding side already, so lets leave it this way.

If people are going to be rude and persistent, they'll do so whether multiscroll breeding exists or not. I imagine the people who have CB Hollies/Tinsels get badgered fairly daily with breeding requests--whether it's a request from their dragons with their own dragons or their dragons with someone else's makes no difference. >___<

Plus, that's what mods are for; someone who's harassing someone else on the forums can get themselves banned for it.

I have to say - rather nervously - that there is anecdotal evidence that sometimes, when someone perfectly politely refuses some brash request, nasty things then happen on fan sites.... This could make that worse.

Mods have NO control over that sad.gif

And those of us who carefully do NOT have the same name on scroll and on forum get plain rude demanding requests anyway. And block the user. And then get emails. sad.gif

I have to say that I've never supported this suggestion. x3

However, if it did happen, here is what I'd want to see:

-Two eggs, both of the same kind would be created, one for each user

-Since two eggs are being created, the chance of a successful breeding is halved

-An option under account settings to receive requests or not, default being off

-Ability to disallow some dragons to not be chosen or ability to select which dragons could be chosen

It's late and I'm exhausted, but I think that was it. o3o

I'm cool with this idea. It'd be great for making some awesomely named pairs and I know I'd be very interested in such a feature. Plus, it's kind of complimenting-- 'Oh you want to breed with my dragons? Oh psshaw, how flattering! You can pay me me back by breeding your new egg with one of mine!'

There'd be a sickening amount of love and hearts and happiness going around.

However, I really don't like the constant reasoning of "but it would create drama" I see in suggestion threads. Everything could cause drama. New dragons could create drama, bug fixes could cause drama, adding features like Teleport creates drama. Holy carp and tuna, nothing would get done if everyone was in constant, paralyzing fear of theoretically, possible causing drama.

If people don't like it, they don't use it. I like it, I'd try using it. I foresee nothing but fun times from such a feature.

I'm pretty neutral on this. I mean sure, it could be useful but it creates a whole new reason for users to harass each other and it could make the whole game a tad easier.

Maybe it would be harder to get an egg, but I'd say for a lot of lineages finding a mate is the hardest part. Well I've always liked that challenge, it isn't always fun but in the end I'm always a lot happier when I find a suitable mate. With this, it'd really be no problem--the hardest part would be either convincing the user to breed their dragons with yours, or getting the egg itself. Which, sure, can be frustrating, but the first milestone has already been cleared in advance for you.

If this were added, however, I'd like to have the ability to block requests coming from certain users. Because people are definitely going to pester even to the point of harassment, and if we cant keep them from messaging/e-mailing we should at least be able to keep them off our scrolls.

NO LINK ON SCROLLS PLEASE NO LINK ON SCROLLS.....

There is a damn fine thread here for finding the perfect mate, by the way.... amazingly - others will breed for you !

There is a damn fine thread here for finding the perfect mate, by the way.... amazingly - others will breed for you !

Fuzz, see this beautiful stripe? Unless I punt one of my own Valentine dragons, there is absolutely no way I can properly continue the checker on my own. If only multiscroll breeding existed, I wouldn't have to choose between keeping my precious Valentine babies and continuing a gorgeous lineage! OTL

@Sock: The plan is to have the default option be off for all your dragons; you can then go in and either just open specific dragons up for requests or open them all up. ^^

Your idea about halving the chances but doubling the eggs is pretty nice... I'll add that in as a possibility. biggrin.gif

So long as there is an account option to allow others to request breeding with your scroll, and that it is default OFF, I'm fine with multiscroll breeding.

Wow, ADP, nobody who suggested this in the past has EVER thought it out. Props to you for the mechanics ^^ I agree with Socky on everything suggestion she gave for this. You've convinced me to want this feature. PB Hollies are now possible 8D

Edited by PieMaster

I have to say that I've never supported this suggestion. x3

However, if it did happen, here is what I'd want to see:

-Two eggs, both of the same kind would be created, one for each user

-Since two eggs are being created, the chance of a successful breeding is halved

-An option under account settings to receive requests or not, default being off

-Ability to disallow some dragons to not be chosen or ability to select which dragons could be chosen

It's late and I'm exhausted, but I think that was it. o3o

^ This exactly. If I were to support this, all those listed things would have to happen.

However, a chance for pretty lineages to be made could happen through this, too. So I'm supporting and not supporting.

I'd also like the ability to block X user from requesting to breed from your scroll, like the PM blocking ability.

Fuzz, see this beautiful stripe? Unless I punt one of my own Valentine dragons, there is absolutely no way I can properly continue the checker on my own. If only multiscroll breeding existed, I wouldn't have to choose between keeping my precious Valentine babies and continuing a gorgeous lineage! OTL

You can beg on the find the perfect mate thread though smile.gif

But I've nothing against it, I guess, as Socky has laid it out - as long as there is no link to my scroll xd.png (or with the default as OFF !)

ETA

I'd also like the ability to block X user from requesting to breed from your scroll, like the PM blocking ability.

HELL yes (thinks of that persistent offender... mad.gif )

Edited by fuzzbucket

This seems like a lot of extra work to me, If I need mates, I try to trade for it or request an egg with the proper pattern/ species in the trading gifting threads. Same results but none of the who gets egg/locked /wrong breed hassles, and you know that the other person is willing.

I would have the option turned off. I foresee too many requests since I choose to keep both adult holidays

Pretty lineages are possible now-- it just takes a little effort.

Edited by dragonpuck

This seems like a lot of extra work to me, If I need mates, I try to trade for it or request an egg with the proper pattern/ species in the trading gifting threads. Same results but none of the who gets egg/locked /wrong breed hassles, and you know that the other person is willing.

I would have the option turned off. I foresee too many requests since I choose to keep both adult holidays

Pretty lineages are possible now-- it just takes a little effort.

This is how I feel too. There's always the possibility of requesting the perfect mate now - or even offering an egg to someone and requesting an offspring between it and a specific dragon in return (happened to me, I was happy to oblige).

(Also, it *really* isn't that much effort to breed a 4th gen checker of two common dragon breeds yourself, plus it'd have the happy side-effect of helping with the ratios a little. Just sayin'.)

This is how I feel too.  There's always the possibility of requesting the perfect mate now - or even offering an egg to someone and requesting an offspring between it and a specific dragon in return (happened to me, I was happy to oblige).

(Also, it *really* isn't that much effort to breed a 4th gen checker of two common dragon breeds yourself, plus it'd have the happy side-effect of helping with the ratios a little.  Just sayin'.)

TBH I don't actually care much about continuing the lineage I linked--I just couldn't find a better example. >___<

Most of the things I'd want even gens of are ones where rares are involved and thus make higher gens super hard to come by, or things like this stripe where I literally cannot get him a proper checker mate by myself unless I toss out my precious CB Val '09 to make room for a third gen one.

And heck, even where commons are concerned (or in this case, dragons that are NORMALLY common >:C), can you imagine how long it would take me to make a mate for this impossibly well-bred seasonal? AGES! It would be so so so much nicer if I could just look around and see if anyone else somehow had managed to get another such dragon...