TSparkle123

In the Shadows

"Luna!" The Raggedy Doctor snapped. "Sorry but do you have a watch? A pocket watch? I need one! I really, really need a pocket watch or a fob watch."

"Pocket watch? I have one of those in the Palace. Let me go get it for you," Luna said just before she launched herself towards the palace. She searched for the pocket watch for a while before she came back with it. "Here, Doctor."

"Why would you need a pocket watch? That seems... like an odd request for a pony with a magical blue box. Can't you just use a watch in there?" Dawn asked curiously.

Pocket watches. A blue box that was a pony at one point, and him. Dawn gave up trying to understand some of it, but the watch was the most questionable thing.

"Because I'm going to need it to hold onto something," The Doctor explained, picking up the watch. Running over to the TARDIS, he frowned then tested the door. It swung open but the inside was smoking dangerously. "The TARDIS can't travel there again and she'll just get shot at if she does. So we are going in as spies. In order to do that, I have to change again. I'm going to change into a Changeling. And for that, I need you to stay here and not come in. No matter what you hear, you cannot open this door. Understand?"

"O-okay..." Dawn said.

What was he going to do? He mentioned turning into a Changeling, how? Was there magic involved? To be honest, Dawn was a little more than scared for the Doctor's sake. Since Luna was nearby, and Celestia was probably trapped, she sent a silent prayer for the safety of the Doctor to Luna.

"Luna keep him safe..."

Luna jumped up, a little surprised. She wasn't usually the recipient of prayers. Usually, when she did get prayers, they were about not doing anything else to a pony who was likely to die. It was like everypony thought that she was the bringer of death and being asked to protect somepony... was a pleasant change of pace. Luna sent a quiet message to Dawn.

"He will be fine, Dawn, I promise."

The Doctor nodded then, holding the pocket watch, stepped inside the TARDIS. He started to close the door then paused and looked at Luna. "You've never seen me do this but can you explain to me who I am afterwards? Come up with fake memories and don't tell me about the watch but do include I am on your side." Without waiting for a reply, he shut the door and walked over to the control panel. With a push of a button, a ominous looking machine slowly came down from the ceiling. After a moment, the Doctor stepped forward and set the settings to 'Changeling'. This was going to hurt.

Moments later, the TARDIS shook and glowed. Loud noises and screams could be heard from inside that belonged to the Doctor. Whatever he was doing sounded horribly painful.

Dawn obeyed his orders. Thus far he had known what he was going to do. He trusted Luna, and that reason enough to trust him.

"Fake memories? Pocket watches...? Do you know what any of this is about?" The Doctor mentioned that she wouldn't, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

"No, but, whatever he is doing, I am sure it is for the best. He will still be the Doctor, I think," Luna admitted. The tortured screams were really irking her, but she knew that the Doctor always knew what he was doing...

After a few moments, the screams faded off into silence. The door to the TARDIS slowly swung open but the Doctor had not opened it. A Changeling was lying on the ground inside, wearing a top hat and bow tie. A machine that had been attached to the Changeling's head slowly retreated back into the ceiling. The Changeling groaned and slowly sat upright, looking around in confusion. Unlike other Changelings, he had green hair and his wings were not torn up that much. His tail was also green and looked more pony-like than a normal Changeling but it was still obvious that was what he was. Yellow eyes glanced around the inside of the TARDIS in alarm, trying to establish some idea of where he was.

Dawn looked at Luna once the lights died down. Dawn directly disobeyed the Doctor's orders and opened the door. The smoke was now cleared out, but something was over there. Something wearing the bow tie and hat that Doctor had been wearing. A closer look revealed it was a Changeling, although it looked more whole and pony-like than other Changelings. Dawn racked her head for ideas to attack. Then she remembered what the Doctor told Luna.

"Um... er Mister Changeling..." Dawn is a really bad liar, she kept figiting and pausing to come up with a lie. "I mean, eek! The Changeling just collapsed, are you okay?"

"Sir Changeling! You have finally awoken! You were just finishing telling us your plan about how you were going to save Doctor Whooves, Derpy, Octavia, and Vinyl Scratch," Luna said quickly. She never was much of a liar...

The Changeling's eyes turned and locked on Dawn. He slowly tried to stand up but his legs were still weak and he collapsed to the ground with a small groan. Words. Both of the ponies seemed to be talking. Glancing around, he frowned then tried to stand again. He managed to get up this time but his legs locked almost instantly, preventing him from walking anymore. It was like a baby trying to stand and walk around. "Where... are we?" he asked softly, glancing around. "I think I might of hit my head... on something."

"We are in Canterlot. Perhaps we should remind you of your plan?" Luna asked. The Doctor seemed to not remember anything at all. It was very unnerving for the princess. From what she could remember, the Doctor knew everything. Everything.

Canterlot. Alright, he could remember that. He could remember Equestria and how to speak and walk. But who was he? These ponies seemed familiar. Like he should remember them. Glancing sideways, he frowned then picked up the pocket watch nearby. It seemed important for some reason. But he knew it was broken so there was no point opening it. "Please do," he replied, trying to walk around a bit.

"You told us that you were going to go into Chrysalis's domain, since you're a changeling and all. And you were going to pretend to help transport the prisoners, so you could transport them to the blue box," Luna said, then smiled nervously.

The Changeling nodded slowly then tried to think. Yes, he could remember now. And his name... his name.... uhh... He couldn't remember. Glancing around in confusion, he frowned then slowly stepped forward. His wings fluttered slightly as he stepped past the two ponies to the outside. "Do I have a name?" he asked, not turning around right away.

"John T. Mane," Luna quickly answered the Time Pony. That's how she met him. She didn't know who he was, but he called himself John. The alicorn smiled, I miss those days. Before I became Nightmare Moon...

John nodded and rubbed his head. Alright, good. That sounded sort of alright. It didn't sound like his name but at least it was a name. Now he was ready to go. "Alright," John mumbled, removing his bow tie and top hat. He stared at the pocket watch before hiding it his mane and glancing backwards. "Let's go, pony ladies! We have to go save people I don't remember!"

"John, we cannot go. If we do, Chrysalis will recognize us and compromise the whole plan. I'm sorry," Luna said with obvious disappointment.

Dawn gave a cheesy smile.

"I'm just going to let Luna do the talking. She seems to be a bit better of liar than I am anyway."

Her mother never let her lie and knew whenever she did. Dawn guessed that she was just rusty at it. Or something... she didn't care, but if she blew this...

"Ah, that's my um, pocket watch. I was- I mean I am holding for a friend." Dawn lied pathetically.

"Oh, ok," John replied, tossing the watch to her. "And it's fine! You guys could be my prisoners. Or you could and invisibility spell. You can do that, right?"

Octavia scoffed, her eyes tearing up. "You don't know how long they had us in here, or how much torture there was!" She had to take a few breaths to steady herself. "I had to protect Derpy from it all, and I kept thinking of plans to escape! They taunted us. You wouldn't believe how many times they turned into copies of you..." She stopped, and crawled to the corner, and started sobbing.

The realization of everything that had happened finally struck me. I started sobbing as well. My glasses were between the cages, so it was impossible to not notice.

'Celestia used her magic to snap whips at the ponies. She hit the cellist in the face, and Derpy's side. "Shut up! Or I'll give you something to cry about!"

Luna shook her head. "While I can use invisibility, Chrysalis will sense me. If she has Celestia, she will recognize my love for my sister."

"I could go as a prisoner while the Princess remains here." Dawn said. If she could just... do something. Then she could save Equestria. Save Derpy, Vinyl, Doctor Whooves, Celestia, and Octavia too. She could be a hero in the foreground, and maybe save the Elements too. But that was overraching. She would be happy to save her friends first and foremost.