pinkieseb

Forum Name/PM Link on Scroll

Well sometimes i see a trade link on places like Eggs around the world, i click on them to see the scroll and what i see is a random name that isnt related to their forum name, so i dont know how to contact them....

So my suggestion is:

On the dragcave.net, when you go into account settings you get the chance to show your forum name OR there is a PM link too you!

Hope you add this or something similer!

Thanks.

-Pinkieseb

There is one small thing that irks me about Dragon Cave: that scrolls and forum accounts are separated entirely. What if you find an interesting scroll, and want to offer them something in a PM, but their forum username is nowhere to be found?

For users that have the same forum name as their scroll name, this isn't much a problem. However, some users exist that have a different forum name than their scroll name.

So what if we could display our forum usernames on our scrolls? Once displayed, clicking it could take people to your forum profile.

While brainstorming this, I immediately realized a big loophole. People could "steal" forum names on their scrolls. For example, let's pretend for a moment that I'm a little naughty, and displayed my forum username on my scroll to be Infinis. The real Infinis would not be able to display their forum username since it was taken by me.

But what if a verification process was put in place? In account settings, you paste your forum profile number (In red here. forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showuser=223247, and a PM is sent to to your forum account. In that PM, you can confirm or decline whether it's your scroll or not.

Once a forum username is displayed on a scroll, if someone else tries to display it on their page, a message pops up saying that the forum account in already in use, and no PM is sent.

There are many more methods of verification that are possible, but that's just an idea.

Of course, sometimes you don't want your forum username to show up on your scroll. There could be an extra setting to enable or disable whether it's shown.

Maybe, the forum username doesn't even have to show up at all. It could just display a link that says "Click here to go to their forum profile," or something.

If there is anything you think could be improved, you may comment about it. I appreciate all ideas!

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Just double checked EATW and it leaves a place for people to provide their forum names. I'm guessing if they didn't put it under there, they don't particularly care to have people contacting them on the forum.

I personally like that the cave and forum are not linked. My name is the same but I don't particularly want people PM'ing me from my scroll. o.o

Thank you for liking my suggestion!

PS. Thanks Sock for the "Approval" you know what i mean biggrin.gif

;3

<3

It does? I looked on the site, but couldn't find it. o3o

Same here. Sock, where did you see that?

It's not its own field. People can leave it under the + if they want. It's actually one of the suggestions/examples. ^^

I wouldn't mind it, though it should be optional.

But then again, so many would leave it blank that it would be a bit pointless....

Some people name their dragons "My Forum is XXX" and put them at the top of their scroll.

It's not its own field. People can leave it under the + if they want. It's actually one of the suggestions/examples. ^^

/slow

Where's that field?

/slow

Where's that field?

I'm bad with explaining, so I screenie'd:

Here's submitting a trade. Check out the last field - contact.

user posted image

Here's what an offer looks like:

user posted image

Hovered over the + so it would gray out. That's what you click to get the contact info and extra stuff.

user posted image

Here's the expanded view after clicking the +, with a user who included their forum name.

user posted image

That's all I was talking about. :3

I wouldn't mind it, though it should be optional.

Yus, I would definitely want optional if this were implemented.

Ah, duh. xd.png I thought you were talking about DC. xd.png

Oooooooh, I see what happened. x3 I was replying specifically to pinkieseb's comment about EATW. I'll go edit my post to make that clearer, lol. My apologies for the confusion!

I think that it could be really nice to have the option to show forum names on the scrolls - it it was just that, optional. Those who don't care to be linked wouldn't need to be, but could be very useful for those who would be interested (for trading, gifting, whatever, purposes) in making contact easier.

I kinda like the idea. I wouldn't use it, but I can see how it would be useful. It'd have to be default off so people specifically have to turn them on and enter the information. That way people who don't want to use it don't have to.

Oooooooh, I see what happened. x3 I was replying specifically to pinkieseb's comment about EATW. I'll go edit my post to make that clearer, lol. My apologies for the confusion!

Now your making sence!

And yeah i would also like it optional if it were put in.....

But id definatly use it....

PS. *Good Suggestion, Proud Me xd.png*

I would NOT use it; trading on EATW allows it where people want it, but I don't see a real need for it on scrolls. No way do I want people to PM me from my scroll - those who WANT to be identified usually seem to use the same name here as on their scrolls, or to make sure there is some kind of way to link the two like a dragon name.....

Yeah i suppose so, but there WOULD be some people who would use it.....

Yeah i suppose so, but there WOULD be some people who would use it.....

- who can name the top dragon on their scroll as "My forum name is..." !!!

I'm not against (if it is optional), but I also don't think it is really necessary. As said, most people who don't mind being identified either use the same name or can name a dragon to make things clear.

And if you're talking about the Dragon Market on EATW specifically: the option to put your forum name is there, so I think people that don't do that would also not use this option.

I'd use this. I don't want to be forced to name a dragon and custom sort it to the top; that's not a solution, that's a way to get around an issue that otherwise has no fix (no in-game mail or contact methods).

I don't think the effort required to implement this would be so much that it doesn't outweigh the benefits.

I would like this, I use 'Tastica' for private games, as I thought this was when I signed up, but 'Emeraldmay' for forum based games.

I would hate to think that if I picked up a egg somebody accidentally dropped, they couldn't contact me to get it back...I'd geel awful :l

EATW can be annoying, when people only post the teleport link so you can't see if they're egglocked, when people put offers up 'For Free', when they're not.

I like it though, and nothings perfect, but I support this smile.gif

Support. Not crazy about it, but it could work out to our advantage, and should it become optional, all the better.

I'd use this. I don't want to be forced to name a dragon and custom sort it to the top; that's not a solution, that's a way to get around an issue that otherwise has no fix (no in-game mail or contact methods).

I don't think the effort required to implement this would be so much that it doesn't outweigh the benefits.

I agree. It's a simple solution without having to force people to name and sort dragons in a manner they might not want to, just so that other people don't have to be bothered with an additional, optional feature.

:/

I want this option really badly. Huge Support. Of course it should be optional without a doubt. And even though my name was purposely chosen so my forum and scroll and IRC name would all be the same. And people are so used to having to ask: Whats your scroll name?? I love EATW, but I don't like trading much as it is. I don't want to have to go to a fan site to get a tool I could use or need in this game. I want it on THIS game and THIS site.

I want to gift and would love more requests for gifting, but there are so many people who don't use the forums. AND it would probably get more people to migrate over to the forums. Remember, we have a lot of ocassional players and a lot of non-fluent english speaking players, as well as a lot of players who just check in once in awhile to make sure they don't lose their scroll. I feel this change would not only increase the volume of active forum use, but increase the number of active players. A lot of people avoid adding another "internet forum" to their already long list of internet site activities unless there is a good reason to do so. Its why I put off joining the forum so long.

And now that we have an option which allows the game to financially support itself rather than having the people who make these enhancements produce them in their very limited spare time, the conversion and retention of active players is a huge bonus to game development because it increases the pool of monetary support. Because monetary support is more likely to be coming from active players, not those popping on for a quick check. The more active players on both site and forums equals greater chance of monetary support which leads to better support for enhancements which then again .... the circle supports itself.

What this person said. I may not use it all the time but having the option would be great. Also not everyone has their adults and frozens visible, which would make naming a dragon your forum name pointless if it's not for your own amusement.

I kinda like the idea. I wouldn't use it, but I can see how it would be useful. It'd have to be default off so people specifically have to turn them on and enter the information. That way people who don't want to use it don't have to.

That's not quite necessary. After all, if you don't put your forum name in, DC doesn't know what it is. For even though there are people who use the same name for the forum and their scroll, there are many who don't - and probably even more people who aren't even on these forums.