pinkieseb

Forum Name/PM Link on Scroll

Nobody would waste their time doing that manually. You can just put together something that handles the whole process automatically. That's how pretty much every account linking service in anything works.

Quite. Thanks CW !

Even my grandson - 14, but a tech whiz - could do that in minutes.

Only if...

1. the information to be linked is readily available (same name or same email, at the very least) - which it isn't, at least not for everyone

or

2. the information is entered manually.

Only if...
  1. the information to be linked is readily available (same name or same email, at the very least) - which it isn't, at least not for everyone

or

2. the information is entered manually.

The solution, which is to use a verification system of some type, has actually already been mentioned in this thread.

But what if a verification process was put in place? In account settings, you paste your forum profile number (In red here. https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showuser=223247), and a PM is sent to to your forum account. In that PM, you can confirm or decline whether it's your scroll or not.

Once a forum username is displayed on a scroll, if someone else tries to display it on their page, a message pops up saying that the forum account in already in use, and no PM is sent.

There are many more methods of verification that are possible, but that's just an idea.

So... if the forum name and the scroll name are different AND the email address used for the scroll isn't used for the forum, this suggestion could not be implemented?

So... if the forum name and the scroll name are different AND the email address used for the scroll isn't used for the forum, this suggestion could not be implemented?

Or a different verification method could be utilized. Or a user could change their emails so they match.

I don't think anybody is asking for this to be an automatic thing.

I personally wouldn't use this feature, but I can see how it would be helpful to many others, especially with trading remaining a forum-supported feature.

Or a different verification method could be utilized. Or a user could change their emails so they match.

I don't think anybody is asking for this to be an automatic thing.

I personally wouldn't use this feature, but I can see how it would be helpful to many others, especially with trading remaining a forum-supported feature.

Frankly, I was, selfishly, thinking about how to avoid the issue: since my forum name and my scroll name are different, I would only need to ensure that the email addresses are different. Correct?

Frankly, I was, selfishly, thinking about how to avoid the issue: since my forum name and my scroll name are different, I would only need to ensure that the email addresses are different. Correct?

If it were automated, which doesn't make sense.

I'm indifferent on this suggestion, but I have to ask: don't people who have different usernames for scrolls and forums do it on purpose? Why nullify that? If this option existed, wouldn't we just have a bunch of people who already aren't syncing up their usernames not putting their forum name (in any manner) on their scrolls? Seems kind of pointless to me...

But, this option would be nice for people who habitually switch around usernames/might change their minds about the contact information. I would definitely accept this option over having some kind of PM system on DC, anyway.

I'm indifferent on this suggestion, but I have to ask: don't people who have different usernames for scrolls and forums do it on purpose? Why nullify that? If this option existed, wouldn't we just have a bunch of people who already aren't syncing up their usernames not putting their forum name (in any manner) on their scrolls? Seems kind of pointless to me...

But, this option would be nice for people who habitually switch around usernames/might change their minds about the contact information. I would definitely accept this option over having some kind of PM system on DC, anyway.

Sometimes. But there are also people who signed up much later on the forum than their scroll, and chose a name more suited to their age/maturity/likes on the forum, while they are stuck with an old scrollname (since we don't have the feature to change them). As well, scrollnames are now more limited character-wise than the forums, so users may choose a different name based on that. I've seen scrolls where they list their forum name for contact.

As well, even with the same scroll/forum name, this could serve as an easy notification that a user actually does have a forum profile without having to put in the energy to do a search for the user.

I have no idea how much use this idea would actually see, but yeah. ^^

You can't actually switch user names !

But good point - how many people have ever wanted to make their two names the same when they started out different ? I suspect this would affect vanishingly few people - if you have the same name, people can find you; otherwise, poof.

There are often posts asking how to find so and so - and the people posting them have come to the forum and tried using the scroll name, so that is what people do already. The only people anything would change for would be those who made sure you can't do that and later regretted it. Honestly, how many are there ?

Sometimes. But there are also people who signed up much later on the forum than their scroll, and chose a name more suited to their age/maturity/likes on the forum, while they are stuck with an old scrollname (since we don't have the feature to change them).

*Raises hand* I'm an example of that.

You're all forgetting one thing here, I see.

Your scroll is ALREADY LINKED to your forum account - you were required to type it when registering your forum account, you just can't remember this anymore.

~Removed~ Will just note for those that saw this comment, that mods certainly have ways to catch that sort of behavior now.

perhaps adding the suggested feature would finally make this kind of trolling impossible.

In general I'm for the suggestion, I'd use it for my scroll.

And naming a dragon is not that neat...

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

blink.gif

I had indeed forgotten. But was it wise to post a way to troll ? laugh.gif