pinkieseb

Forum Name/PM Link on Scroll

Did a cursory search and didn't see anything. Could we maybe make an option for users to post their forum name or pm link on their scroll if they so choose? It just gets a bit annoying when someone posts on say the dragonmarket on eggs around the world and only has a link to their scroll name. Then if i wanted to pm them about the trade I may not be able to if their forum name is different from their scroll name. I understand some people might not want to be contacted but for people like me who wouldn't care if I get a random pm why not have that be an option?

As long as it's optional and preferably default being off, I wouldn't mind such an option.

Some people do it by putting it on the topmost dragon on their scroll It certainly isn't something I would ever want to do. Forum to scroll - OK.

Scroll to forum - no thanks !

Perhaps by putting the password in of the forum account, or by clicking a link to verify through the email you have as yours on the forums.

~Merged~

If someone is using a place like dragonmarket where you have the option to list a forum name and they haven't, there's probably a reason. x3

It's not something I would do but I suppose there's no harm in offering it.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I'd be for it, plus if I don't want it I could turn it off. Or not even use it all all. Plus it could help people who actually want to be PM'd for random breeding requests and such and as said above maybe more people would join the forums!

Why not?

:3

but there would have to be a way to verify the forum account.

This.

I would like this, as long as it was optional. I would personally use it. Though my forum name is exactly the same as my scroll name, so I'm easy X'D

I would love this! smile.gif I enjoy gifting others and there's probably people that have somehow stumbled across my scroll saw a dragon lineage they wanted and unable to ask - not to mention if I catch an AP egg from somebody that accidentally abandoned it and would like it back. smile.gif

Just double checked EATW and it leaves a place for people to provide their forum names. I'm guessing if they didn't put it under there, they don't particularly care to have people contacting them on the forum.

I personally like that the cave and forum are not linked. My name is the same but I don't particularly want people PM'ing me from my scroll. o.o

On EATW (I was trying to help someone) it says you MUST provide a forum link - for exactly this kind of reason; someone didn't (in theory the trade is deleted if you don't, I gather, but that didn't happen) the hatchie in question grew up in the end, on its owner's scroll - no-one was actually able to make her an offer. It was mad !)

But I still would NOT want a link to my forum account on my scroll. If I wanted contact through the forum, I could name a hatchie to achieve that. Or even - amazing thought - I could have started out with the same name for both. xd.png But I didn't want that, so I carefully didn't.

HOWEVER - one thought. When one first signs up - to DC or to the forum - it would seem like a very good idea to say right by "choose a username" - "Do you want to have the same name for your scroll and for the forum." I would have said just say that when one joins the forum, as - how many people join the forum BEFORE they have a scroll - but I can't be sure that never happens, so...

@aussie - one can rename the parents with a scroll name included, to achieve that - I have a Xeno Chrono out there which wants to come home to mummy, if anyone sees it... sad.gif (*mem to self* NEXT TIME REMEMBER TO CLICK CONFIRM WHEN ABANDONING, or you won't have space for your next breeding mad.gif ....)

There is one small thing that irks me about Dragon Cave: that scrolls and forum accounts are separated entirely. What if you find an interesting scroll, and want to offer them something in a PM, but their forum username is nowhere to be found?

For users that have the same forum name as their scroll name, this isn't much a problem. However, some users exist that have a different forum name than their scroll name.

So what if we could display our forum usernames on our scrolls? Once displayed, clicking it could take people to your forum profile.

While brainstorming this, I immediately realized a big loophole. People could "steal" forum names on their scrolls. For example, let's pretend for a moment that I'm a little naughty, and displayed my forum username on my scroll to be Infinis. The real Infinis would not be able to display their forum username since it was taken by me.

But what if a verification process was put in place? In account settings, you paste your forum profile number (In red here. https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showuser=223247), and a PM is sent to to your forum account. In that PM, you can confirm or decline whether it's your scroll or not.

Once a forum username is displayed on a scroll, if someone else tries to display it on their page, a message pops up saying that the forum account in already in use, and no PM is sent.

There are many more methods of verification that are possible, but that's just an idea.

Of course, sometimes you don't want your forum username to show up on your scroll. There could be an extra setting to enable or disable whether it's shown.

Maybe, the forum username doesn't even have to show up at all. It could just display a link that says "Click here to go to their forum profile," or something.

If there is anything you think could be improved, you may comment about it. I appreciate all ideas!

Easier way to prevent name "theft" would be to just make it ask for your forum password when linking your DC and forum accounts.

This sounds good to me as long as we can figure out a way of placing the forum name on your scroll in a way that looks good. Definitely preferrable to how I'm currently displaying my forum name on my scroll - two Chickens at the top of my scroll. xd.png

Yeah i suppose so, but there WOULD be some people who would use it.....

- who can name the top dragon on their scroll as "My forum name is..." !!!

Which is exactly what I do. It's not very elegant, but it gets my message across. (Also the message about breeding on request, although that gets ignored 99.9% of the time.)

Edited by olympe

Months ago, I was on the fence on this suggestion. Now I'm absolutely against it. Why? We read TJ on "optional" so I'm afraid that, if the suggestion is implemented, the optional part would go out of the door. If I want specific people in the forum knowing my scrollname, I just tell them, And I do not want anybody looking at my scroll and contacting me.

In case was not clear: no support.

Edited by NotBambi

Months ago, I was on the fence on this suggestion. Now I'm absolutely against it. Why? We read TJ on "optional" so I'm afraid that, if the suggestion is implemented, the optional part would go out of the door. If I want specific people in the forum knowing my scrollname, I just tell them, And I do not want anybody looking at my scroll and contacting me.

In case was not clear: no support.

There are certain things that don't make sense as optional because they only create more work. This isn't one of them. To start with, not everybody with a cave account has a forum account. To end with, we have the option to hide scrolls - clearly TJ understands privacy. There's no reason you'd have to link your account to your scroll.

A little logic in applying optional-based suggestions can go a long way.

There are certain things that don't make sense as optional because they only create more work. This isn't one of them. To start with, not everybody with a cave account has a forum account. To end with, we have the option to hide scrolls - clearly TJ understands privacy. There's no reason you'd have to link your account to your scroll.

A little logic in applying optional-based suggestions can go a long way.

Yeah but no but yeah.

I SO don't want this - but if it happens it MUST be optional. Or I would simply leave the forums, actually. JUST to avoid being contacted via my scroll. My two IDs are different on purpose.

Frankly, it doesn't work anyway unless it's optional. In order to show off your PM link or forum name, you have to enter it. And since forum and scroll names aren't always the same, it has to be added manually. By you. If you decide not to add your forum name or PM link, then it won't be there. (Obviously.)

So, discussion on optionality is futile.

I actually think this is a good idea for those that want it. and if you don't, just don't enter your forum name should it get implemented. best of both worlds.

I, personally, would be unaffected as my names are the same. I've never minded being contacted about my scroll or breeding for someone.

Frankly, it doesn't work anyway unless it's optional. In order to show off your PM link or forum name, you have to enter it. And since forum and scroll names aren't always the same, it has to be added manually. By you. If you decide not to add your forum name or PM link, then it won't be there. (Obviously.)

So, discussion on optionality is futile.

Nice point - but I imagine TJ could link it all up if he liked, so the optional thing needs mentioning.

I def believe that this should be strictly optional. I am not opposed to it, but I would not want my forum name to be linked. With that said, its not difficult to locate me if know what to look for.

I am a fairly private person, so I keep my name off the scroll. This is in part due to people being unable to keep themselves out of my business, which which is vampire collection and production.

TJ seems to believe in privacy which was why he allowed us the option of turning scroll names on and off, hiding adults, hiding everything.

I would not support it if it was not optional.

Nice point - but I imagine TJ could link it all up if he liked, so the optional thing needs mentioning.

I'm pretty sure TJ has nothing better to do with his time than to link up tens of thousands of scrolls with their respective forum accounts - especially if the usernames are not the same, or both accounts have been registered under different email accounts... /sarcasm

OK, someone persuaded me. If it is optional, and only if is optional, I can support.

I'm pretty sure TJ has nothing better to do with his time than to link up tens of thousands of scrolls with their respective forum accounts - especially if the usernames are not the same, or both accounts have been registered under different email accounts... /sarcasm

Nobody would waste their time doing that manually. You can just put together something that handles the whole process automatically. That's how pretty much every account linking service in anything works. It's also how such things end up being optional by default, because forcing it is a ton of extra work.

Edited by Commander Wymsy