Obscure_Trash

Religion

I do not allow myself to hold an absolute definite belief in anything religion wise, however if you want to define me as something know that I lean more towards being ignostic. Not agnostic, ignostic - people have confused those two before under this same subject matter.

I have nothing to contribute the current conversation matter at the moment.

Interesting, I had not realized ignosticism existed before you posted that. So what kinds of definitions of God do you accept as a starting point for discussion, or do you consider trying to come up with a definition pointless?

Edited by Awdz Bodkins

I'm LDS (Mormon), so anyone can roll any questions they have about that my way if they want. biggrin.gif

I'm baptised as a Mormon, but I'm also a Buddhist and do believe in some heathenistic ways too.

A great movie quote from the character Cardinal Strauss (Illuminati / Angels & Deamons) which sums up my view of all religions quite perfectly:

Religion is flawed because man is flawed.

I didn't decide what belief (or lack of) is true, and I personally care less about that. I dislike people bashing eachother about religion, though.

I didn't decide what belief (or lack of) is true, and I personally care less about that. I dislike people bashing eachother about religion, though.

I completely agree with you. I respect everyone else's religion and beliefs, but I hate when people bash on other's just because of their way of life. That's what tickles my feathers. tongue.gif

There's agnosticism, there's atheism, but I don't think I even fit with those!

Is there a Idontcarebecauseijustwanttolivemylife-ism? dry.gif

There's agnosticism, there's atheism, but I don't think I even fit with those!

Is there a Idontcarebecauseijustwanttolivemylife-ism? dry.gif

I think you're looking for Apatheism.

I believe in one God. I also believe that the one God is in every religion but just has different names and myths around him because of thousands of years of the stories getting passed down. I also believe what he did was not magic but was actually what we would call science today. I also believe what people call aliens are actually angels. I also believe that our evolution was guided by God and all animals can go to heaven. I also believe that you don't have to believe in God to go to heaven, you just have to be a good person. I know I put "I believe" a lot but that's all you can do when it comes to religion.

(Haven't read all the earlier posts) Religion's simply a support for the weak. In the past, when people started to ask from where we came, to where we go, I believe there was panic - and a need for answers.

Religion (in my opinion) was created in order to cease that chaos, calm the people, and eventually; take control of them (where there's power, there's a leader willing to abuse of it), as any other tool; its uses varies depending on its capabilities. The purpose of Religion must have changed often, depending on how the Church wanted to use it.

Pastors are simply employees. Priests, Bishops and all the others are only figures. Some people believe they (as persons) are saints, that they've never tarnished their hands...which is just stupid.

Religion's good if you're not blinded by ignorance. Churchs are a good place to meet people and find comfort I think.

PS: My mother still believes in God, and can not seem to understand that is not really the point of religion - which, as I tried to explain above, is to offer support (by people, not by an spiritual being).

PS: My mother still believes in God, and can not seem to understand that is not really the point of religion - which, as I tried to explain above, is to offer support (by people, not by an spiritual being).

Actually, for a lot of us, that is the point in religion. The funny thing about religion is that it is entirely what you make of it. Just because that doesn't seem like the point to you doesn't mean that it is not a very valid point for her.

(Haven't read all the earlier posts) Religion's simply a support for the weak. In the past, when people started to ask from where we came, to where we go, I believe there was panic - and a need for answers.

Religion (in my opinion) was created in order to cease that chaos, calm the people, and eventually; take control of them (where there's power, there's a leader willing to abuse of it), as any other tool; its uses varies depending on its capabilities. The purpose of Religion must have changed often, depending on how the Church wanted to use it.

Pastors are simply employees. Priests, Bishops and all the others are only figures. Some people believe they (as persons) are saints, that they've never tarnished their hands...which is just stupid.

Religion's good if you're not blinded by ignorance. Churchs are a good place to meet people and find comfort I think.

Agreed. Religion is a crutch, IMO

One that does more bad than good.

Edited by MaggieXawesomeness

Actually, for a lot of us, that is the point in religion. The funny thing about religion is that it is entirely what you make of it. Just because that doesn't seem like the point to you doesn't mean that it is not a very valid point for her.

Can't say I'm surprised w/ your answer. If I were to start believing in God, a dark room and a rosary would be enough for me.

EDIT: In case I wasn't clear; I said that I wouldn't need others to share the same belief (much less, go to a place crowded w/ them), in order to confirm/reinforce the same. Which to me, is what they do - which shows how "strong" is their faith. But then I would see no point in religion (if a person was strong enough to do what I said, there would be really no need to believe in such a thing).

Edited by iRels

I have been raised with the Christian beliefs. Not the Catholic one, the other one, which has like 3 other versions and one of those.

But to be fairly honest, I don't feel comfortable in church and haven't gone there for years. My dad wants me to go on Christmas day. But I even stopped going then.

I can't really say that I believe but for some reason I want to believe.

But then again some people think more in the old testament way.. but I have learned to think more in the new testament way...

My grandma believes with all her heart and I don't want to let her down.

So I guess I do believe but I can't call myself someone that does everything for her religion.. I don't sing, or pray or go to church etc.

But I do respect everyone else and I am not someone that goes on and on that someone has to believe, I don't think that way. Just believe what you want and if you don't want to believe anything that is fine with me as well. As long as you don't say rude stuff to believers. But that's the same way with believers, don't say rude stuff to non-believers^^

Religion has many purposes; just because it's not the purpose YOU perceive doesn't mean it has no value. I say that as someone who does not follow a mainstream faith and who values science over spirituality.

My own faith, such as it is, is for comfort, to achieve a higher spiritual feeling, and to give a name to the other half of the inner dialogue, as it were. It is also an offer of friendship to my patron god. I don't entirely believe in him as a literal presence the way Christians do--my relationship with him is too complex to describe here. But I am a sole worshiper, worshiping alongside but not with my girlfriend, whose patron god is a different entity from the same pantheon. It is most definitely not about meeting people or having human support. I have family, friends, my partner, and other human relationships for that.

Buuuut then I kind of find starting your post in this thread with "Religion is simply support for the weak" to be a bit on the rude side.

I don't believe in any sort of deity. I find it beautiful to be living in a universe where everything is connected and most is an enigma - we don't know how the universe came to be, but here it is! I'd feel pretty disappointed if it, or we, were created by a sentient being. I love the fact that we can figure out just how the universe works for ourselves, too.

I also share some of iRels's sentiments, except wouldn't call religion for the weak. You do what you want with your spirituality, I do what I want with mine.

Edited by High Lord November

I believe in the Christian God. I also believe in a paradise and a hell. It's comforting, because I can't stand the idea of just disappearing after death.

However, because I can't prove that my God exists, it stands to reason that I also cannot prove or deny the existence of the god(s) of other religions (Shrodinger's Religion? |D). So, I tend to factor them into my beliefs as well...and consider my God the supreme God above all others and the others I consider lesser dieties. :3

I don't go to church anymore though...I got tired of sitting for an hour+ with some guy preaching at me. I like churches because they're pretty, but I'd rather not sit in (frequently uncomfortable) pews listening to a guy talk at me. XD So I pray and stuff on my own time in my own way.

And in all honestly I don't really care what religion or lack thereof people have. It is neither my business nor my concern to tell people what they can or can't believe.

I believe in the Christian God. I also believe in a paradise and a hell. It's comforting, because I can't stand the idea of just disappearing after death.

Just wondering, but how is it comforting to think that some people will suffer eternally?

Or, do you not believe in hell as a place of eternal torment? (Personally, I figure if there is a hell, it's a temporary thing while you're purged of whatever impurities you have)

I'd personally prefer oblivion--after all, if there's nothing, then you can't be aware of the nothing, and there's nothing to fear.

Just wondering, but how is it comforting to think that some people will suffer eternally?

Or, do you not believe in hell as a place of eternal torment?  (Personally, I figure if there is a hell, it's a temporary thing while you're purged of whatever impurities you have)

I'd personally prefer oblivion--after all, if there's nothing, then you can't be aware of the nothing, and there's nothing to fear.

No, hell's a place of eternal torment for me.

And it's not comforting that some people will suffer eternally, but I like to think eventually they would be cleared of their sins and be allowed out or something (I really don't like to think God is cruel enough to send people down there forever c_c ...so I guess it's not really "eternal" torment). The comfort here is more the fact there is anyplace to go at all.

You have a point with the oblivion thing but I feel like it would be a waste to live my life and then just...cease. o.o It's kind of a frightening thought for me, and I'd rather just keep existing. :3

Edited by Infinis

I wish I had the will power to practice Jainism. I feel like that's the kind of lifestyle that aligns with my morals the best. But I don't and I don't want to believe in reincarnation. And I don't believe in higher beings either. So it's a bit conflicting heh.

No, hell's a place of eternal torment for me.

And it's not comforting that some people will suffer eternally, but I like to think eventually they would be cleared of their sins and be allowed out or something (I really don't like to think God is cruel enough to send people down there forever c_c ...so I guess it's not really "eternal" torment). The comfort here is more the fact there is anyplace to go at all.

You have a point with the oblivion thing but I feel like it would be a waste to live my life and then just...cease. o.o It's kind of a frightening thought for me, and I'd rather just keep existing. :3

I kinda figure you can't be loving and condemn people to suffer eternally, myself.

Personally I feel like while we ourselves as individuals may cease, it's not simply meaningless. Throughout our lives, we constantly make an impact on other people and the world around us. And, through them, we make an impact on even more people. Who then make an impact on others. Sort of like a ripple effect.

Even if it's faint, the echo of those long gone still remains in the world today.

How we deal with others impacts how they feel, and in turn how they deal with others, and it's a never-ending cycle that happens many times each day, including on those days when important events happen in the lives of others. Countless small things add up, over and over again, and eventually cause the larger events to happen.

So, in that way, even though we as people may cease to exist, our lives still had impact--and, in turn, still will continue to impact the world even after we're long gone, even if it's in a very indirect, nearly imperceptible way.

So, the idea of ceasing to exist doesn't really scare me, because it's not like my existence will have never mattered in the world. Maybe not in the overall grand scheme of things--the universe will continue to exist no matter the passing of a single person--but my life still has meaning.

That, and I personally can't truly fear something that doesn't contain fear. Though, I get being scared of it if you're not the sort of person who can look past that--and not everybody can handle the idea of oblivion. Which is cool, different ideas sit better with different people, after all.

Mostly I just look at is as a permanent, dreamless sleep. Or kinda like going in for surgery and being put under during the procedure.

I'll admit, the idea of no afterlife is a little frightening for me, too. I get the "living on in others" thing but that's different to me than actually BEING, with my thoughts and my feelings. I actually lean towards there being not much of anything, but I figure I really just don't know. For the most part I try not to think about it, and try to focus on my time on earth. I figure I'll find out when I get there.

. . . which does make it a bit strange that my patron deity is a psychopomp but whatever. smile.gif

I find I'm the opposite. I couldn't stand living on for ever and ever. That scares me, thinking that technically a million years could go by in a blink of an eye and there would still be an infinite amount of blinks left. I mean, what purpose would you have to 'live' then? Gaining knowledge would be nice, but for all of eternity? Never-ending existence? No thank you.

Maybe for the remainder of the universe's lifespan, though. I wanna see some aliens! And know more about the universe ;-;

Of course, I'd love to stay alive for quite a long time past what I would normally live. I feel very disappointed that I live in a time where virtual reality doesn't yet exist and we haven't visited any other planets, let alone other solar systems, and other fantastical stuff. I really want to see where humans go from here on in. But alas, I don't think something like living past death is remotely possible, so the void for me it is.