arlymaye

Messy Lineages

I'm one of those people who's out for the complete scroll, therefore I couldn't care less how messy the lineage of a dragon I pick up is. biggrin.gif

For breeding purposes, unless I'm errantly breeding for that mystical and super-rare sitting alt black or for my BSA armies, I've just been breeding rare/uncommons willy-nilly without regard to anything other than ensuring their not inbred. I've got an even-gen project going on as well, but that's just for fun.

My greatest even-gen project is my inbred evens on the last page of my scroll. Those're a hoot. tongue.gif

Merging with the existing topic on messy lineages.

Thanks, Ruby! I hadn't seen one when searching, which kind of shocked me. Oh well.

@dustpuppy: That's pretty neat. I don't think I could muster enough patience to do that!

As for inbreeding, I'm not exactly keen on it. But I would never kill or release any dragons. smile.gif

I like them, they are very interesting as long as they´re not inbred. I bred this one, containing all breedable breeds up to the point when it was bred, and it took me ages xd.png but as they're not very useful for lineages, I mostly collect even gens now.

... Is there a Zombie in there? And wouldn't it have to be a vamp or a ND to have all possible up to that point, excluding vamp/ND? ninja.gif

Anyway, I don't mind messy OR inbred. I may just like the ancestors' names, or the code. tongue.gif

... Is there a Zombie in there? And wouldn't it have to be a vamp or a ND to have all possible up to that point, excluding vamp/ND? ninja.gif

Anyway, I don't mind messy OR inbred. I may just like the ancestors' names, or the code. tongue.gif

No, its not a zombie, just dead. You can tell because you can't click on it, and the caption below says "Deceased" rather than a name or a code. (Although I suppose that last part would be invalid if your zombie was named "Deceased." tongue.gif)

My mildly OCD side dislikes the look of messy lineages aesthetically, but personally I don't care - in the end they're just pixels tongue.gif

I don't really mind inbreds either. The only thing with my messy-lineaged dragons is that I never know what to name them surname-wise.

I replied to this thread waaaay back on an earlier page. I've been pretty nonchalant about my dragon lineages, at least until I got bored.

I started keeping a database of all my dragons' mates, lineages & offspring, and I started keeping track of killed eggs, bitten eggs, zombies, neglected, etc. I came to find out that the offspring with long lineages or 'messy' lineages or crossbreeding (one breed of dragon with another breeding, even if the lineage was short or 'clean') had a greater chance (almost 100%) of being killed, bitten, or released. That wasn't so bad - I mean, I understand killing due to vampires or neglected experiments.

But I noticed a lot of the eggs were just left to rot on someone's scroll. To me, unless it's obvious that the scroll-holder is a new player, that crap hurts. Rather than just release the unwanted egg back to the AP or a hatchling to the wilderness & freeing up a spot on their scroll, people would let the long, messy, crossbred lineages die (and not all of them were neglected experiments).

So I've been gradually replacing my long, messy crossbred dragons with shorter-lineaged, purebred & caveborn dragons. I've noticed the kill/rot rate is going down considerably. I mean, I would keep the long-lineaged & inbred eggs, but my ultimate goal in breeding is that someone will keep & raise the egg, and hopefully name it (I'm here for the names, people. Seriously. Name your dragons, it makes them feel self-actualized). Unfortunately, it seems the majority of people aren't going to do that with 'trash' lineages.

I've never had an issue with inbreeding, but so many people do that I decided to challenge myself with not allowing inbreeding or keeping inbred eggs. I've missed out on quite a few rares because of that, but it adds a level of difficulty to a relatively simple way to kill time. I've also been trying to find even-gen mates for some of my pure/clean lineaged dragons & that's extremely challenging.

What I'd like to know is, do we have a 'long/messy/inbred lineage' trading thread? Because if we did, I would change my game play & actively participate in that.

I dislike messy lineages. I like even gen lineages personally not only because they're pretty (to me) but show a level of planning and rarity in the dragon. I like knowing that the breeder consciously chose to breed ascetically interesting lines.

I also only breed even gens to trade, when I do breed which is not regularly for my non-tinsel dragons. I have a mate for every dragon that I breed. Non-inbred, non-messy lineages are definitely easier to trade. Also, I want even gen dragons so I feel only courteous to offer pretty lineages to others.

I haven't yet caught a metallic from the AP, but I probably wouldn't keep it if it was messy. I'm not advocating killing or freezing, then releasing that some other people have mentioned. I like the self-imposed challenge of collecting caveborns for (almost) every dragon. I like pairing up dragons and seeing the results. I like planning lineages from the bottom up. I like sifting the AP for treasures. That's how I play.

To me it muchly depends on what species of dragon it is. If I were to catch a messy gold or silver on the AP, I'd keep it, no matter what. I do have very few shinies, am always too slow to catch the CBs and don't have the stuff people expect you to trade for the nice lineaged ones (even more now that they don't give eggs anyway).

So a shiny can be as messy as it wants to be, it would stay on my scroll and be cherished for its pretty sprite if nothing else. And I would still breed my two messy silvers, if the breed ratios wouldn't be so horrible.

As for messy commons - I tend to toss them back on the AP or - if it's a low time - hatch them and freeze the hatchie. I'm not going to start earthquaking eggs or killing them, just because their lineage doesn't appeal to me. And I just as well don't expect people to change they way they play, just so I don't pick up an inbred egg on the AP once in a while.

I don't think I've ever seen this thread.

I tend to like my short nice lineages better and it's even nicer to have an even gen. Currently I am tired of common CB dragons since I now have 8 of each. Well, almost 8 of each. I am missing the dorsals and stones (which I'm working on), blacks and stripes (which I can't catch) and seasonals and balloons (which I don't want). I have exceptions to other breeds as well: I have no adult dino or cheese dragons and I refuse to get the alt male nebulas.

I've gotten to the point where I am trading CB hatchlings for lineaged hatchlings. I mostly hunt the AP because there's lineaged stuff there, there are hatchlings, and sometimes someone is nice enough to dump a CB magi. I've all but given up on the cave because the things I want from it seem to slip past me constantly the only dragons that I do want to have messy inbred lineages are my splits. I was inspired by one I picked up that had a massive lineage and I began picking up other splits like him.

I know there are people out there with massive split lineages...but they don't breed them becuase they don't want to dump an unwanted egg on the AP. My bred splits will never leave my scroll though, unless they are nice and short and not inbred. I like to keep my inbreds to myself :3

I have also noticed that I really don't mind inbred dragons. It's just the messy lineages (other than splits) that I don't like. I have a black dragon which has a nice short inbred lineage. Sadly all the names in the lineage are gone. There was a king and lady dragon who had a son (a prince), yet the king also had a mistress, who was a purple dragon and they had a daughter. The purebred son had a daughter with his half sister unknowingly.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/uUoH

I plan on re creating her lineage some day after reading up more on Arthurian legend, since the lineage is similar to it.

If I were to catch a messy gold or silver on the AP, I'd keep it, no matter what. I do have very few shinies, am always too slow to catch the CBs and don't have the stuff people expect you to trade for the nice lineaged ones (even more now that they don't give eggs anyway).

So a shiny can be as messy as it wants to be, it would stay on my scroll and be cherished for its pretty sprite if nothing else. And I would still breed my two messy silvers, if the breed ratios wouldn't be so horrible.

This is how I think too.

I don't like messy lineages. And I really don't see the point in breeding and then dumping them. I have long lineaged and inbred dragons too of course, but for me there was a point when I was hooked up on creating beautiful lineages, otherwise I would have stopped playing ages ago. wink.gif

I am breeding on even gen purebred Magi, spiral Pinks and a checkered Thunder/Nebulas and my most beloved Thuwed lineages. The starter I got from hellhunt over a year ago (Have a look at the latest offspring). wub.gif

So I don't keep dragons with long messy lineages and I don't produce them. wink.gif

Long lineages are not always messy.

I personaly perfer long lineages I feel that its interesting to see what dragons were included. Not to mention theres always that occasional Long lineage that is neat and pretty c:

I definitely don't mind inbreds. In fact, that can yield some very nice, neat, short lineages!

With messy lineages, though, I'm starting to shy away from them, and have stopped breeding my metallics so extensively, predominantly because I'm looking to breed things that can be easily trade (so short-lineaged or patterned), and many of my metallics just can't be used for that. I do wonder a bit if I'm stopping other people getting their first metallic due to not breeding and abandoning long-lineaged (harder-to-trade) metallics. But, then, on the up-side I am not contributing to the AP through lots of unwanted 'failed metallic' breeds, either.

With the cave clogging up the way it is, and things like tinsels that really have to be traded for unless one is lucky (as I was) to get a gift, I'm starting to see more and more why long or messy lineages might be eschewed.

I think it's amazing how things change here. Months ago, getting an Ice dragon was rarer than seeing hens' teeth. Neither I nor my friends held a hope of getting one and now I've had them grow up with me because they weren't CB or purebred.

I never thought I'd see the day when I offered and Ice dragon for trade, and a definitely never thought no-one would want it.

I myself don't mind messy lineages. I place the vast majority of value on the actual breed of the dragon (which in turn ranges due to factors like rarity or pretty sprites). Yes, CB rares are extremely valuable, but I find it annoying and frustrating (even if it is kinda fun) to hunt for those. If someone offers me a pretty even gen or staircase, yes I will offer more for it, simply because it is beautiful and they put incredible effort into making it that way. But if I pick up a messy lineaged stripe or gold or trio or nebula or even a common like a purple ridgewing, I will keep it and raise it. Simple.

Take this stripe that I recently bred, for example:

Lineage

Inbreeding

Yes, it's horrific, blah blah blah.

But for me, a black stripe Dorkface is a black stripe Dorkface, no matter how messy or inbred.

The only maybe major problem at all I find with messy lineages or inbreeding is that other people don't want the eggs I offer up for trade. So I just gift them. ^.^

Edited by Aeria

I don't mind messy breeding as long as they purposely aren't breeding two overly-common dragons to add to the problem. I won't pick it up, but that doesn't mean someone else won't.

I myself am very fond of my first Thunder and Black, who have messy lineages but not as messy as some I've seen. This was back when Trios were rarer than blacks, which tended to clog the AP. I also have at least 2 messy lineaged stripes that I am completely fine with. I try to gift their eggs to newbies because many don't care at all, they just want a pretty sprite.

I don't mind messy lines too much, but they do tend to make it hard for trading purposes. For a long time now I stuck to low gen pairings, until tonight when I produced this in an effort to straighten out the lineage. It's somewhat long & definitely uneven, but it's also free of inbreeding, & since either parent's egg would give me something I want, I'll absolutely be continuing this line.

I am really disliking messy/inbred lineages. When I see them I go 'irresponsible', even though I /do/ have messy/inbred lineages. But not as many as most people do, to be honest. I am fortunate to have nice silvers/golds and whatnot. Heck, even a nice 2nd gen red dorsal from pink X red dorsal. So, yes, irresponsible breeders make me go 'ewww'. Just the way I roll.

Well IMO I never really paid attention to the lineages, but now that I look at them, I'd prefer short lineage's with my dragon's but then again I haven't been playing for a long time, and only recently have I started playing again.

I guess I'll have to fix it x.x

With rare dragons I don't think I'd care as long as it's clean, and no inbreeding. But besides that I don't think I'll be so up tight about lineages.

I wouldn't assume people who inbreed as irresponsible, that's a bit harsh. The inbred checkers and lineage links are relatively recent things, so checking for inbreeding was very difficult for any but the most meticulous record-keepers. Others do not come on the forums at all, so I'm sure that a lot of these breeding concepts are not something they think about at all.

My first gold is an inbred Dorkface. I didn't realize it was inbred for a long time. In no way do I find the breeder irresponsible.

I did a bunch of breeding before lineage links were available easily. I'm sure I've created some inbred eggs in my playing around with different breeding pairs. In no way would I consider myself irresponsible!

If I'm breeding for myself, it doesn't matter to me. If I'm breeding for trading, I try to avoid it if I can. Sometimes, I just can't. So feel free to toss my egg back to the AP, someone else who doesn't mind inbreeding will get it and be happy for the shiny.

I wouldn't assume people who inbreed as irresponsible, that's a bit harsh.

Yeah it doesn't mean the breeder is irresponsible. Either he had no idea about it, or the breeder just doesn't really care much for it. As for my it's the ''Had no Idea about it'' Concept lol. I actually didn't know about inbred dragons til I started using the forums, and I didn't care about lineages either.

Now I take a more concerned look into but I still don't pay great attention to it.

*raises hand*

I inbreed on purpose biggrin.gif