BookChallenge

250 Book Challenge 2011

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages: 251

Book Title: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (re-read)

Author: J. K. Rowling

Summary: Harry is warned not to go back to Hogwarts, and later learns that the Chamber of Secrets is reopening.

Rating: (optional) 5/5

I believe I will join this. I need a reading many books goal.

Book Number: 7

Number Of Pages: 36,402 words

Book Title: Under My Skin

Author: Katya Dee

Summary: A boy who lives with his very religious parents realizes he likes a boy who is the boyfriend of his best friend.

Rating: 4.5/5

Review: It's a well written story. The only negative thing I can think of is that I found the beginning bit confusing. I found this story by randomly picking something to read in a study break. It's not the kind of story I usually read, but I liked it.

Book Number: 8

Number Of Pages: 22,183 words

Book Title: Snapshots of a Smit

Author: Lady Eleanor Boleyn

Summary: It is the story of a girl told by her two older sisters. It all starts when the girl asks her sisters to tell her how her childhood was.

Edited by Raistlin24

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages: 120

Book Title: Trumps of Doom

Author: Roger Zelazny

Summary: A fantasy series of a prince and his adventures and trials

Rating: (optional)

Review: (optional) This is not the first time I have read this. It's better if you read the first five books about his father and his adventures and trials though probably not strictly necessary.

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages:[/b ] 141

Book Title: Blood of Amber

Summary: Second in the series

Review: (optional) Have read this before.

Book Number: 5

Number Of Pages: 137

Book Title: Sign of Chaos

Summary: Third in the series

Book Number: 6

Number Of Pages: 141

Book Title: Knight of Shadows

Summary: Fourth in the series

Number Of Pages: 145

Book Title: Prince of Chaos

Summary: Fifth in the series

Book Number: 24

Number Of Pages: 521

Book Title: The Heroes of Olympus: The Son of Neptune

Author: Rick Riordan

Summary: Percy is sent to Lupa to train. He has no memory of his past except a image of his girlfriend Annabeth. He makes is to the Roman camp and later is assigned to the quest.

Rating: 6 out of 5

Book Number: 25

Number Of Pages: 451

Book Title: Peter and the Starcatchers

Author: Barry Pearson and Ridley Pearson

Summary: It's the story of how Peter became Peter Pan.

Peter, an orphan at this point is being taking (with the other boys) to a ship. Later they find out they are actually being taken to serve this evil King. He finds out about this stuff called starstuff.

Edited by evangeline5432

Book Number: 8

Number Of Pages: 474

Book Title: Dragon Keeper

Author: Robin Hobb

Summary: Dragoness Tintaglia hasn't been seen in the Rain Wilds for several years and seems to have forgotten about her malformed kinsfolk after having found herself a mate in the icy north and tending to the crippled young dragons is growing burdensome for the folk of the Rain Wilds. a group of misfits, accompanied by a self-styled dragon scholar from Bingtown, set out to look out for the dragons on their journey to Kelsingra, the old, unmapped city that persists in the memories of the dragons but may not even exist anymore.

Edited by lightbird

Book Number - 26

Book - Star Trek - The Eugenics Wars: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh (Volume 2)

Pages - 420

Author - Greg Cox

Review - Frankly brilliant, incorporating an important part of Trek lore - the Eugenics War that was supposed to ravage the world in the 1990's - with the real events of the 20th century.

Book Number: 44

Number Of Pages: 248

Book Title: Hearts at Stake

Author: Alyxandra Harvey

Summary: Solange Drake is days away from turning sixteen, and in the Drake family, sweet sixteen marks the dangerous transformation into a vampire. And as if that wasn't bad enough, a jealous vampire queen is trying to have her exterminated as a possible threat to her throne. Solange is in for a rotten birthday.

Book Number: 45

Number Of Pages: 258

Book Title: Blood Feud

Author: Alyxandra Harvey

Summary: After Isabeau St Croix saved the Drakes' only daughter from assassination, it seemed only natural to strike up an alliance between their two factions. But the return of an old enemy and Isabeau's falling for one of the Drake brothers could potentially get them all killed.

Book Number: 46

Number Of Pages: 323

Book Title: Hex Hall

Author: Rachel Hawkins

Summary: When a love spell goes catastrophically wrong at prom, it's the last straw for Sophie Mercer--she's sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for troubled witches, faeries, shapeshifters, and werepeople. Quickly shunned by most of the school's population, Sophie must unravel the mystery of attacks on students to exonerate her only friend--before the attacker gets to her too!

Edited for bold coding fail.

Edited by MissVampire13

Book Number: 9

Number Of Pages: 560

Book Title: Monster 1-5

Author: Naoki Urasawa

Summary: A surgeon saves the life of a boy. Nine years later, the surgeon finds out that the boy he saved has killed several people and tries to find him.

Rating: 5/5

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 423

Book Title: Kiss Me Deadly Anthology

Edited by: Trisha Telep

Summary: A collection of short stories from some of todays hottest paranormal writers including Rachel Vincent (Fearless *banshees*), Beca Fitzpatrick (Dungeons of Langeais *fallen angels*) and Maggie Stiefvater (The Hounds of Ulster *faeries*)

~ Dream

All of these are Rated at least Teen for violence and language! Do not read if this offends you!

Re-read

Book Number: 24

Number Of Pages: 373

Book Title: Rogue Warrior

Author: Richard Marcinko

Summary: Marcinko’s Autobiography. In it he tells the story of the formation of the Navy SEALs (Of which he lead Team Six). From their early formation, to creation of Red ell, Marcinko tells all (or at least as much as the government would allow)

Review: An amazing look into both the Navy and a more in-depth look at the SEALS. I highly recommend this book!

Rating:5 out of 5

Book Number: 25

Number Of Pages: 368

Book Title: Designation Gold

Summary: Rogue Warrior travels to Moscow to look into the assassination of US defense attaché Paul Mahon. He knows who did it, but needs to find out why. But orders are in, Marcinko must disband his elite SEAL team. Time is running out.

Review: read this, then realized I was in the middle of the series. A good book if you enjoy reading about the Military.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Book Number: 26

Number Of Pages: 385

Book Title: Option Delta

Summary: Marcinko is back. This time he is in Germany working to recover a pair of US ADMs (Atomic Demolition Munitions) lost in Rhine Vally. But things get complicated quickly when his team of SEALs stumble over a terrorist cache site. Now the race is on to stop a nuclear threat to the world.

re-read

Book Number: 27

Number Of Pages: 350

Book Title: Red Cell

Summary: After leaving the Military, Marcinko worked as a mercenary/freelance security expert. While working, he makes a shocking discovery: The smuggling of Nuclear materials to North Korea through Japan with the help of Terrorists working out of America. Involuntarily recalled to active duty, Marcinko must head Red Cell to stop the latest threat.

Review: The direct sequal to Rogue Warrior. An awesome read

Rating:

Book Number: 28

Number Of Pages: 382

Book Title: SEAL Force Alpha

Summary: After parachuting into the South China Sea, Marcinko’s mission to scuttle a Chinese freighter’s cargo of Nuclear hardware takes a turn for the pear-shaped. The hardware is Amarican, and evidence points back to the US military. With the threat of a mole in the White House, and time running out, Marcinko must obey the 10th rule of SpecWar: “There are no rules- Thou Shalt Win At All Cost.”

Review: Pinky makes an appearance in this one and the end made me grin. I love Marcinko’s Books.

Rating: 5 out of 5

Number Of Words: 86,137

Book Title: Stand Before Your God

Author: Miss Lalla

Summary: Harry Potter gets a new guardian from his father's side of the family who's a really rich spinster from a very old family.

Review: (optional) Harry Potter Fanfic, address: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6601790/1/Stand_Before_Your_God

Edited by Torene

Book Number: 10

Number Of Pages: 376

Book Title: Lady of the Lake (Pani Jeziora - the original polish title), part 1 (I read the Bulgarian translation and the book's split into two parts)

Author: Andrzej Sapkowski

Summary: It's really hard to summarize it without spoilers. But the main point is that Ciri tries to find the true reality. The profecies are beginning to come true.

Rating: Since I've read only half of the story i can't rate it, but so far is really good smile.gif

Book Number: 11

Number Of Pages: 384

Book Title: The secrets of the immortal Nicholas Flammel book 3 - The sorceress

Author: Michael Scott

Summary: Again, spoilers. More obstacles in front of Josh and Sophie, which are really the twins the legends tell about, when dr. John Dee and Macchiavelli continue to try to capture them and the last two pages of the book.

Rating: As far a young adult urban fantasy goes - 4-4.5/5. Otherwise, maybe 3/5. Just not my type of book.

Book Number: 12

Number Of Pages: 269

Book Title: Dr. No

Author: Ian Fleming

Summary: After his recovery from his previous mission James Bond is sent to Jamaica to investigate the disappearance of another agent. But what seems like a simple case turns out to be much more dangerous than anyone suspected.

Book Number: 13

Number Of Pages: 619

Book Title: Under the Dome (again part 1. Oh, how I hate these Bulgarian translators and publishers! sad.gif )

Author: Stephen King

Summary: The small American town Chester's Mill suddenly finds itself separated from the world by a giant impenetrable dome. No one knows where it came from or how to get rid of it. But people are beginning to die.

Rating: When I finish the whole story wink.gif

Number Of Pages: 754

Book Title: Breaking Dawn

Author: Stephenie Meyer

Summary: Vampire marries human girl and eventually changes her to a vampire to save her life when she almost dies.

Review: (optional) I think everyone knows what the story is here. laugh.gif

Book Number: 19

Number Of Pages: 320

Book Title: Valiant

Author: Holly Black

Summary: When 17-year-old Val runs away from home after finding out that her boyfriend is cheating on her with her mother, she stumbles into a world filled with faeries and magic.

Rating: 9/10

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 165 (technically 167 but the last 2 pages are an index)

Book Title: Septimus Heap: The Magykal Papers

Author: Angie Sage

Summary: A book that contains maps and biographies of places and characters. it also shows the history behind the Palace and the Wizard Tower. It is basically an over all guide for the whole series.

Rating: (optional) 5/5

And the tally goes up smile.gif

Book Number: 5

Number Of Pages: 374

Book Title: The Hunger Games (Hunger Games #1)

Author: Suzanne Collins

Summary: The country of Panem takes place in the futuristic time, which is separated by only twelve districts with no allowance to communicate with each other. Katniss Everdeen lives in district twelve a.k.a. the coal mining district. Where she has to sacrifice her life everyday and help raise her family. She is then faced with the sacrifice of taking her sister's place in the "Hunger Games". Every tribute has to fight until death in an arena that's filled with treacherous things of the unknown and tributes who want each other's blood. Katniss Everdeen faces the love of a boy, Peeta Mellark, the boy tribute from her own district. Will she fall in love and give her life away for him or will all be forgotten when the games begins.

Review: Really liked this one, quite riveting.  It's one of those "can't put down even if it's 3 in the morning" type of books.

Book Number: 6

Number Of Pages: 384

Book Title: Dragon Age: The Calling (Dragon Age #2)

Author: David Gaider

Summary: Another thrilling prequel to Dragon Age: Origins, the hit role-playing video game from award-winning developer BioWare. If you are a fan of the Dragon Age Origins video game, this book is a must. It gives a fantastic background of Duncan in his early Warden Years. I highly suggest reading this book before playing the Dragon Age expansion as well. It will fill you in a lot more about the main villain and the plot than the actual game does. If you are into fantasy with a punch, read the first one (Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne) and then this one... both are very good.

Review: This one was a good carry on from the first one.

Number Of Pages: 400

Book Title: Catching Fire (Hunger Games #2)

Author: Suzanne Collins

Summary: Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

Review: Another very riveting book. I couldn't put down this book and finished it in 3 nights of late reading smile.gif

Edited by Ldyfsh

Book Number: 11

Number Of Pages: 780

Book Title: A Game of Thrones

Author: George R. R. Martin

Summary: Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfell, is named the hand of the king. He finds he must accept this, even though he does not want this position. It draws him and his family into complicated intrigues and scheming, and feuds between powerful families.

I have so little time to read - so sad D:

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages: 704

Book Title: Kissed by an Angel

Author: Elizabeth Chandler

Summary: When Tristan dies, Ivy loses all hope in angels. What she doesnt know is that Tristan is her angel, trying to protect her from her step brother who wants to murder her.

Sign me up, even though it's two months late! Currently reading a book now actually.

Question, if the textbook was for pleasure and not for a class, would that still not count?

Number Of Pages: 509

Book Title: Dragon Haven

Author: Robin Hobb

Summary: 15 dragons from the Rain Wilds and their keepers, as well as a barge's crew continue their journey upriver in the search for the ancient city of Kelsingra, while alliances are made and broken by the members of the journey and many of them experience physical changes that are brought about by the dragons.