BookChallenge

250 Book Challenge 2011

Book Number: 30

Number Of Pages: 176

Book Title: A Hidden Magic

Author: Vivian Vande Velde

Summary: A princess meets a handsome prince who just happens to be a jerk. He angers an evil witch who puts him to sleep. She goes on a rescue mission to wake him up and meets a sorcerer.

Book Number: 31

Number Of Pages: 357

Book Title: Chesapeake Blue

Author: Nora Roberts

Summary: Reread. Book 4 and I'm so reading this series out of order. Seth is all grown up and travels the world as a famous artist. He returns home and falls in love with the new girl in town.

Book Number: 32

Number Of Pages: 467

Book Title: Three Fates

Summary: Reread. Two brothers and a sister are trying to reclaim a piece of their family history, one of a three statues. Each meets the love of their life, who also have connections to the other two statues. Each has to do with one of the Three Fates.

Edited: missed three fates page number. Oops.

Edited by Shalarean

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 464

Book Title: Law of the Broken Earth

Author: Rachel Neumeier

Summary: A noblewoman and a spy, both with strange gifts, find themselves in the awkward position of being the only ones who can save the world. Bother.

Rating: 5/5!

Review: I love this trilogy so much. I can't even give proper words. I love how the ending ties together, and how the focus of each book was on each different type of gift (animal-lore/calling, making/building, and law/words) and yet didn't lose sight of the others. I love how old characters stayed strong presences in the second and third books but still lets them focus on the specific main character for that book. I like that Kes wasn't lost in the end, and I love that Gereint and Tehre got married, because they're completely adorable together. <3 Tan was a fun new character to read about, and watching Miethe grow a backbone was great!

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages: 320

Book Title: Strange Fortune

Author: Josh Lanyon

Summary: A mercenary is hired to retrieve a magical artifact and is joined by a mage with an unusual past.

Rating: low 4/5

Review: A fairly solid "mercenary and mage go in search of a MacGuffin" story. Male/male romance handled adequately. It didn't really grab me, somehow, but thinking back on it, I can't think of why -- it was very interesting in a lot of places, and it flowed really well. Doesn't hold a candle to Lord of the White Hell, but still a good read.

Books that have 3 books in one or something do count as individual books as long as they have more than 100 pages.

Manga is aloud if its a 400 pages or more. but to get a manga with 400 pages or more in a volume is hard so you can for instence;

Book name: Bleach volume one and two

Waitwaitwait. 400? The intro post says 500?

Also, do non-manga graphic novels count? E.g., Neil Gaiman's Sandman? ('Cuz I'm totally do for a re-read on that, and it has a much higher intellectual quality than, say, Card Captor Sakura -- which I also love, but it doesn't seem fair to count the one but not the other.)

Pfft, forgot to put in page numbers. *head-desk*

Edited by Danne

Book Number: 10

Number Of Pages: 257

Book Title: Page ~R~

Author: Tamora Pierce

Summary: A girl becomes the first recognized female to try for her knighthood.

Book Number: 11

Number Of Pages: 260

Book Title: Slave Boy ~R~

Author: Evangeline Anderson

Summary: In order to stop the destruction of an entire planet, a Servant of the Light's apprentice has to pretend to be his Master's slave.

Review: I just reread this and cannot believe I never noticed how sappy it is.

Number Of Pages: 476

Book Title: Blue Moon Rising

Author: Simon R. Green

Summary: In the Forest Kingdom a darkness has awakened, threatening the world. Prince Rupert must fight back the Monsters of the Darkwood and save his people. Along the way he teams up with the oddest crew including a dragon who collects butterflies, the Princess of another kingdom (whom he saved the dragon from) a unicorn, and a crew of displaced Goblins.

Review: Very good and a funny read! Serious in places, and heart touching in others. Lots of twists and turns to keep you guessing! My favorite part was probably the leader of the Goblins’ speech about how they weren’t brave but would fight anyway.

Rating: 5 out of 5

and I'm heading for NDK tomorrow so I won't be posting for a few days. But I should have the next 3-5 books read by then!

Book Number - 15

Book - Star Trek - Enemy Unseen

Pages - 279

Author - V. E. Mitchell

Review - An enjoyable book and one of my favourite ones from the TOS series of novels.

Waitwaitwait.  400?  The intro post says 500?

This. If this is true than I've read more books than I've indicated...

Book Number: 6

Number Of Pages: 531

Book Title: Eon

Author: Alison Goodman

Summary: Eon becomes a powerful Dragoneye, but must keep a deadly secret with the fate of the empire on his shoulders.

Book Number: 7

Number Of Pages: 485

Book Title: City of Bones (re-read)

Author: Cassandra Clare

Summary: Clary discovers a secret about her life and much set out with new found friends to save her mother while stopping Valentine from getting the Mortal Instruments.

Book Number: 8

Number Of Pages: 453

Book Title: City of Ashes (re-read)

Author: Cassandra Clare

Summary: Valentine steals the second Mortal Instrument and Jace is suspected of helping him.

Book Number: 9

Number Of Pages: 830

Book Title: Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales

Author: The Grimm Brothers (obviously)

Summary: As the title says, its a collection of The Grimm Brother's Fairy Tales.

Number Of Pages: 312

Book Title: Pillage

Author: Obert Skye

Summary: Beck Phillip's mother dies and he's sent to stay with his uncle in a small town where he learns a family secret and has to stop dragons from destroying the town.

Number Of Pages: 194

Book Title: A Glory of Unicorns

Author: Various Authors

Summary: A collection of stories and tales of unicorns told by various authors.

I have A LOT of free time sitting down here by myself in the basement dry.gif not very good at summaries either

Edited by DragonNeko

Book Number: 28

Number Of Pages: 141

Book Title: Animorphs #47: The Resistance

Author: K A Applegate

Summary: When one of the free Hork-Bajir is captured and infested by the Yeerks, the Animorphs know the Hork-Bajir colony will have to move to survive, but the Hork-Bajir insist on defending their home. And when they discover some campers nearby, the Animorphs are able to enlist some unexpected help.

Book Number: 29

Number Of Pages: 165

Book Title: Vampire Kisses: Kissing Coffins

Author: Ellen Schreiber

Summary: After her true love Alexender Sterling disappears into the night, Raven makes it a priority to reunite with her vampire beau. Her search introduces her to Jagger Maxwell, a dangerous vampire with a grudge against Alexander. Can Raven keep herself out of Jagger's clutches?

Book Number: 30

Number Of Pages: 176

Book Title: Vampire Kisses: Vampireville

Summary: Raven and Alexander may have fooled Jagger into thinking that Raven is off-limits, but now he and his sister Luna are out to claim the life of star soccer player Trevor. That's the last thing Raven wants, but warning her nemesis since elementary school that vampires are after him just doesn't work so well. Raven and Alexander will have to come up with an ingenious plan if they want to keep Trevor alive.

Book Number: 13

Number Of Pages: 272

Book Title: Or Is That Just Me?

Author: Richard Hammond

Summary: Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond describes the horrors of being almost-forty.

Rating: 10/10

Number Of Pages: 324

Book Title: Steel Trapp: The Challenge

Author: Ridley Pearson

Summary: Steel has a photographic memory which leads him to getting mixed up in something dealing with a terrorist cell. He decides to open a briefcase seeing a lady has been kidnapped. A man tries from the cell tries to get in back. Steel finds out who his father is and tries to rescue the lady while foiling the terrorist plot. It's a really good book!! biggrin.gif

Book Number: 14

Number Of Pages: 512

Book Title: The Mysterious Benedict Society

Author: Trenton Lee Stewart

Summary: Four very talented children, the members of the Mysterious Benedict Society, go on an adventure to stop a mysterious man from unleashing an evil hypnotizing machine on the world.

Rating: 9/10

Book Number: 15

Number Of Pages: 448

Book Title: The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perlious Journey

Summary: The Mysterious Benedict Society is reunited to go on a fun scavenger hunt around the world. The exciting trip soon turns dangerous, however, when Mr. Benedict disappears without a trace.

Book Number: 16

Number Of Pages: 512

Book Title: The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

Summary: The Mysterious Benedict Society is back again, this time seeking to foil Ledroptha Curtain's evil plans once and for all. Unfortunately, they must first figure out how to escape from their kidnappers.

Loved this series, it was so cute! Read it over the weekend :3

Book number: 8

Number of Pages: 239 (Bulgarian edition)

Book Title: Smoke in Mirrors

Author: Jayne Ann Krentz

Summary: When Leonora's half-sister Meredith dies in мysterious circumstances in the little town Wing Cove, she decides to go there and investigate the death on her own. She allies with her sister's previous bosses and together they find out there were 2 similar deaths in the past 30 years.

Rating: 4/5

Book Number: 9 (RE-READ)

Number Of Pages: 295

Book Title: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Bulgarian edition)

Author: J K Rowling

Summary: Harry goes to his second year in Hogwarts. While he's there, the Chamber of Secrets is opened again and everyone in the school thinks it's Harry who did it.

Rating: 5/5

Number Of Pages: 255

Book Title: К западу от смерти (It's a book written by a Mexican writer, but translated in Bulgarian from Russian. I couldn't find the original Spanish title of the book, or the English one, so I wrote the Russian. In English it should be something like "To the west of Death".. Probably..)

Author: Луис Ривера (In Russian again, and Luis or Louis Rivera in English - again, I couldn't find it anywhere :/ )

Summary: It's a really strange book. It tells the story of a man, who's best friend dies in an unusual way. While trying to understand his death, the man starts to read a manuscript telling the story of a long-death prophet and finds himself lost in the story. Literally.

Rating: 3/5

If someone knows the English title of the book please let me know so I can add it here. Thanks!

Edited by Le_Dragon

Book Number - 16

Book - Star Trek: The Next Generation - Gemworld Pt 1

Pages - 251

Author - John Vornholt

Review - A good book, bringing in a few minor characters from DS9 and TNG.

Book Number: 31

Number Of Pages: 240

Book Title: Vampire Kisses: Dance with a Vampire

Summary: Threatening vampire siblings Jagger and Luna Maxwell may be gone from Dullsville, but their younger brother Valentine is here to ruin Raven's relationship with Alexander. Raven's secret doubts about joining Alexander as a vampire could put their love in jeopardy if Valentine brings them to light.

Book Number: 9

Number Of Words: 137,448

Book Title: Koibito no Ryu

Author: paws-bells

Summary: Sarea thinks she is a normal human until a dragon lands on her. He wasn't expecting her personality, but starts liking it because they belong to each other. Sarea then has to get used to being royalty with her soulmate and find her own hidden power.

Rating: 5/5

Review: This story is one of my favorites. I love dragons, and Sarea and Tentei's interactions are hilarious. This story is rated Mature, so be careful.

Book Number: 12

Number Of Pages: 432

Book Title: Squire ~R~

Summary: Kel has become a real squire and she has to ride with the Queen's Own and also care for a stolen baby griffin she rescued.

Review: Love this series.

Number Of Pages: 448

Book Title: Lady Night ~R~

Summary: Kel is finally a knight and gets the assignment of commanding a refugee fort.

Review: Love this series.

Number Of Pages: 304

Book Title: Twice Upon a Marigold ~R~

Author: Jean Ferris

Summary: It's a year after the end of book 1. Christian and Marigold are now married but Mariogold's "mother" regains her memory, after being a nice person for a year and comes storming back and arresting the king himself for treason.

Review: I had read this once before and I had forgotten how many "right thing to do" actions there were. Like instead of fighting, they talked it over sensibly. And it was just lots of goody two shoe-ness. It distracted a lot from the plot. Doesn't stand up to book 1 at all.

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 264

Book Title: Stealing Pheonix

Author: Joss Stirling

Summary: Pheonix belongs to The Community, a gang of thieves with special powers. Her mark is Yves Benedict, an American student visiting London.

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages:

Book Title: Afterwards

Author: Rosamund Lipton

Summary: A school catches fire and one mother, Grace, rushes in to save her daughter's life. Afterwards, Grace must find the identity of the arsonist and fight the limits of her physical strength to discover the limitlessness of love.

Review: (going to review this one) Beautifully written book, almost guaranteed to make one laugh and cry.

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages: 233

Book Title: The Gaslight Effect

Author: Dr. Robin Stern

Summary: A "self-help" book on recognizing manipulations used by others, with suggestions on ways to eliminate manipulations in your relationships by either repairing them, or leaving when no other course of action works.

Review: A very enlightening book, and what's more, it works!

Book Number: 7

Number Of Pages: Kindle book, all of the Women's Murder Club books are over 300 pages

Book Title: 4th of July

Author: James Patterson

Summary: Lindsay Boxer finds herself in terrible trouble when a high-speed chase through downtown San Francisco ends in a deadly shoot out. The family of the victim she killed wants her badge, and she has to fight to keep it. Unable to stay out of trouble, she finds herself investigating a string of murders while she's on "vacation." It's an emotional case that ties back to her first John Doe, a boy killed ten years ago.

Edited by Sister of the Dragon

Reread.~

Number Of Pages: 165

Book Title: The Dark is Rising: The Grey King

Author: Susan Cooperr

Summary: Will is sent for the first time without his masters on a quest he must complete in order for the Light to win against the Dark. tongue.gif

Book Number: 33

Number Of Pages: 330

Book Title: Rising Tides

Summary: *reread* Book 2 in the Seth Quinn Saga. Ethan, the second brother, fights his own ghosts as he deals with the loss of his father, the troubled boy and the girl he's always loved.

Book Number: 34

Number Of Pages: 324

Book Title: Inner Harbor

Summary: *reread* Book 3 in the Seth Quinn Saga. Philip, the third of the Quinn boys comes to terms with his drastically changed life. Three piece suits don't have their place in the home of his childhood. Understanding Seth gets easier for these guys, their wives, and introduces Seth's' blood aunt.

Book Number: 35

Number Of Pages: 467

Book Title: Montana Sky

Summary: *reread* Three half sisters who never knew each other (but knew of each other finally meet at their fathers' funeral. Being forced to live with each other for a year is surely a challenge as these women are suddenly thrust into sibling rivalry, three determined men, a crazy e-husband and a killer.

Book Number:23

Number Of Pages:876

Book Title:The Mists of Avalon

Author:Marion Zimmer Bradley

Summary:The legendary tale of King Arthur told from the the perspective of the notable women involved. Primarily from the focus of Morgaine, known also as Morgan Le Fay.

Book Number:24

Number Of Pages:765

Book Title:The Dublin Saga: The Princes of Ireland

Author:Edward Rutherfurd

Summary:The history of Ireland brought to life through the lives of many fictional families whose lives often intertwine. Beginning in the mid 900's and ending during the early reign of King Henry VIII.

Book Number - 17

Book - Star Trek: The Next Generation - Gemworld Pt 2

Pages - 272

Author - John Vornholt

Review - A satisfying end to the two-parter, and as usual touching on a few more of the grim aspects of fights that TV can't usually allow us.

I noticed that my counter says 2, but it was three before this post (How Children Learn Langugae - A Storm of Swords - A Feast for Crows). If there's some uncertainty, that first book is not an academic textbook.

Anyway.

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages: 959 (hardcover edition)

Book Title: A Dance with Dragons

Author: George R. R. Martin

Summary: The fifth book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series deals with the events on and beyond the Wall, as well as Dany's reign in the southern part of the continent of Essos, and the journeys of several would-be suitors to her.

Edited by lightbird

Book Number: 12

Number Of Pages: 332

Book Title: Blood and Honor

Summary: When the King is assassinated in the Kingdom of Redhart, troupe actor Jordan is pressed into pretending to be Prince Viktor to protect him from the same fate. But with plots and conspiracies looming, and the threat of Civil War on the horizon, Jordan is pressed to survive. But in a place where Magic and the Winds of Unreality stir, and monsters walking in the shadows, how can an actor save the day?

Review: A wonderful book with a brilliant ending! His book ties in with Blue Moon Rising and tells a great tail of how the Dark Night affected other lands.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Number Of Pages: 246

Book Title: Down Among the Dead Men

Summary: When a border fortress falls silent, and a Witch has a vision of coming Darkness, four rangers set out to investigate. Aided by the unlikely forces of three outlaws and faced with the treat of an awakening Creature, can they save the Kingdom? And will the make it back into daylight? Or fall into the darkness forever?

Review: Another good tie in to the Blue Moon Rising universe. Tells the fate of one of the remaining Infernal Devices and lets us take another look into the Forest Kingdom.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Number Of Pages: 491

Book Title: Beyond the Blue Moon

Summary: The Forest King has been assassinated and the Kingdom looks to Prince Rupert to lead them, but Rupert and Julia have changed and not just their names. With the blue Moon once again threatening to rise and the Inverted Cathedral bringing madness and death, can the Kingdom be saved?

Review: The last book in the Forest Kingdom arc and the last Hawk and Fisher book was a wonderful read. I particularly liked how ending went!

Rating: 5 out of 5

Book Number: 17

Number Of Pages: 240

Book Title: Hamlet & Ophelia

Author: John Marsden

Summary: The tragic tale of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark is retold in a compelling, original way, while keeping very close to Shakespeare's original story.

Rating: 10/10