BookChallenge

250 Book Challenge 2011

Book Number: 24

Number Of Pages: 521

Book Title: The Heroes of Olympus: The Son of Neptune

Author: Rick Riordan

Summary: Percy is sent to Lupa to train. He has no memory of his past except a image of his girlfriend Annabeth. He makes is to the Roman camp and later is assigned to the quest.

Rating: 6 out of 5

Book Number: 25

Number Of Pages: 451

Book Title: Peter and the Starcatchers

Author: Barry Pearson and Ridley Pearson

Summary: It's the story of how Peter became Peter Pan.

Peter, an orphan at this point is being taking (with the other boys) to a ship. Later they find out they are actually being taken to serve this evil King. He finds out about this stuff called starstuff.

Book Number: 26

Number Of Pages: 197

Book Title: Rowan and the Keeper of the Crystal

Author: Emily Rodda

Summary: The keeper of the crystal is dying and that mean that Rowan and his mother must go to choose a new keeper. The candidates are from three different cities and they will do ANYTHING to make sure their candidate is chosen. Sure enough Rowan's mother is poisoned at Rowan must get the antidote and choose a new keeper with the evil dudes closing it.

Book Number: 27

Number Of Pages: 564

Book Title: Septimus Heap: Magyk

Author: Angie Sage

Summary: Septimus is a seventh son of a seventh son but when he is born the midwife comes and pronounces the baby dead. She takes the dead baby away and Silas Heap finds a baby out in the cold. He takes that abandoned baby in and finds out his son is dead. They raise the, Jenna, as their own. Eventually they find out she is the Princess. Her mother had been murdered and the castle taken over. It comes down to the Heaps running for their lives. tongue.gif

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages: 240

Book Title: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Author: Lewis Carroll

Summary: A young girl falls down a rabbit hole and finds herself in a great deal of trouble with the locals in short order.

Rating: 6

Review: nope.chucktesta

Book Number: 47

Number Of Pages: 148

Book Title: Animorphs #48: The Return

Author: K A Applegate

Summary: Rachel is kidnapped and subjected to a twisted test of her morals and loyalty, and she encounters someone she never expected to see again.

Book Number: 48

Number Of Pages: 164

Book Title: Animorphs #49: The Diversion

Summary: When the Yeerks start collecting human blood samples, the Animorphs know they're starting to suspect the truth--that the "Andalite bandits" who have been harassing them for so long are actually human. And if the Yeerks figure out exactly who they are, then the Animorphs' days are numbered...

Book Number: 49

Number Of Pages: 200

Book Title: The Ellimist Chronicles

Summary: The mysterious, apparently all-powerful being who calls himself the Ellimist recounts how he became as he is and his battles with his archenemy Crayak.

Book Number: 50

Number Of Pages: 302

Book Title: Blue Bloods

Author: Melissa de la Cruz

Summary: Schuyler van Alen never expected to be inducted into her private school's most exclusive social circle, but on her 15th birthday, that's exactly what happens. Schuyler finds out she is a member of a race of immortal vampires called the Blue Bloods, and something is killing off supposedly indestructible teen Blue Bloods. And if she doesn't identify the killer in time, she could be the next victim.

W00t! Hit the 50-mark!

Book Number: 11

Number Of Words: 28,368

Book Title: Expelled

Author: broomstick flyer

Summary: Harry Gets expelled and his wand broken. While on the run he somehow ends up at his ancestral castle and finds out he's descended from King Arthur.

Rating: (optional)

Review: (optional) This is a Harry Potter fan fic found here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5010827/1/Expelled

There may be a few scenes that may be objectionable for the very young.

Book Number: 16

Number Of Pages: 314

Book Title: Tarzan of the Apes

Author: Edgard Rice Burroughs

Summary: Kala finds a baby in the jungle and raises it as her own child. Tarzan grows into the king of the jungle until he meets Jane Porter and he travels across the sea to be with her.

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 231

Book Title: Herbal Magick

Author: Gerina Dunwich

Summary: An introductory guide to witchcraft using plants for varyings reasons, as well as explanations to some other magical beliefs and misconceptions.

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages: 240

Book Title: Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There

Author: Lewis Caroll

Summary: Bored at home, Alice makes up a world called Looking Glass House where everything is reversed from the normal world, only to find herself able to pass through the mirror and enter the world she imagines. However, she soon finds herself in over her head.

Edited by dragon_mando

Book Number - 27

Book - Star Trek - Gateways 1: One Small Step

Pages - 237

Author - Susan Wright

Review - A thrilling start to the series, with the TOS cast nicely portrayed.

Book Number - 28

Book - Star Trek - Gateways 2: Chainmail

Pages - 334

Author - Diane Carey

Review - Sadly the last full 'Challenger' novel, reading this makes me thoroughly disappointed that it was never picked up for a full series. Loved it.

Book Number - 29

Book - Star Trek - Gateways 3: Doors Into Chaos

Pages - 293

Author - Robert Greenberger

Review - The TNG crew are portrayed in a slightly different but believable light, given how long they've been around each other by now. Tying in nicely with the novels to come, and building up quite a picture.

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages: 478

Book Title: All The Weyrs Of Pern

Author: Anne McCaffrey

Summary: At Landing a machine called AIVAS has been unearthed. AIVAS, using information from the first settlers of Pern, has been teaching the current residents all that they have lost preparing them for the ultimate mission of riding the world of thread. But not everybody thinks that AIVAS is a force for good and some Holders and Crafstmen would rather see the "abomination" destroyed.

Updated up to here.

@mackie0501: It would count as two separate books because you read them separately.

@YoukoRayah: A book of short stories counts as a single book if you read all of them.

@AAurion: I apologize for not answering your question about manga, I can't seem to find the post. If you repeat the question I'll try and answer it.

@dragon_mando: Textbooks count so long as you read them cover to cover.

I'm afraid I'm not interested in continuing with this project. Not because I'm not reading, but because I am. I've read 60+ books since my last post, but I just don't have the time to sit here and type in all those summaries. I don't like doing it and with how much I've been busy lately, I just don't want to waste my free time typing those in. I'll keep an eye out for the thread next year to see if you do things differently.

However the future shapes out, I wish everyone in the Book Challenge fun. Thanks for the opportunity to join.

Sincerely,

~Shalarean

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages: 187

Book Title: The Sound of Waves

Author: Yukio Mishima

Summary: The sea is helping the people of Utajima survive. Shinji is a young fisher who is taking care of his mother and younger brother after his dad died, since he was a part of a crew on a boat that sinked. Young Hatsue, the daughter of Terukichi Miyata, the richest man on Utajima, comes back working as a searcher for pearls, the sea bringing the two together. Will their love be more powerful than everything?

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 224

Book Title: In Search of a Distant Voice

Author: Taichi Yamada

Summary: The life of Tsuneo Kasama, a police officer, is completely normal. Tsuneo tries to make a family with the suitors' help and is engaging to Yoshie. The future seems not to bring anything bad or unexpected. But a female voice starts sending him messages. Is Tsuneo going crazy? Who is the unknown woman without a face or body? He starts thinking it is his conscience's voice since he commited a crime in a far away country or of a being far away whose spiritual powers are beyond a human's imagination.

Number Of Pages: 301

Book Title: The Daughters of the Storms: The Maya Enigma (volume 1)

Author: Jordi Sierra I Fabra

Summary: At the end of November 1971, there were a lot of storms around the world. Though extremely powerful, they were unobserved. The people took them as simple phenomens caused by the climatic changes. However, this time, it was different. Fifty-two girls appeared on Earth after the storms and they all had special talents. They were named 'The Daughters of the Storms'. On November 27 2012, the police tells Georgina Mir that her father, a famous archaeologist dissappeared in Palenque. The girl left to Palenque to find her father.

Edited by MichiyoSaitou

Book Number: 12

Number Of Pages: 550

Book Title: The Vampire Lestat

Author: Anne Rice

Summary: Sequel to Interview With A Vampire. Tells the story of how Lestat became a vampire and his adventures up to 1985.

Rating: (optional) T for teen probably not something a kid would want to read anyway. Not really written so someone young would find it all that easy or consequently interesting to read.

Review: (optional) Reread it for the upteenth time. Obviously I think it's a good book. wink.gif

Book Number: 51

Number Of Pages: 307

Book Title: Eternal

Author: Cynthia Leitich Smith

Summary: When Miranda's guardian angel Zachary makes a grave mistake that gets her kidnapped, killed, and made into vampiric royalty, he thinks his career as an angel is over. But months later, he's given a chance to redeem himself and save the soul of the girl he loves.

Book Number: 10

Number Of Pages: 288

Book Title: Doctor Who - Winner Takes All

Author: Steve Lyons

Summary: The Doctor and Rose visit Rose's mother and they learn there's a new video game that is not what is seems. The aliens you kill in the game are real and they really die.

Book Number: 11

Number Of Pages: 288

Book Title: Doctor Who - The Stealers of Dreams

Author: Steve Lyons

Summary: The Doctor, Rose and Jack land on a planet where any kind of fiction is forbidden (lies, books, tv series...).

Number Of Pages: 435

Book Title: Unearthly

Author: Cynthia Hand

Summary: Clara Gardner is Niphillim, an Angel-Blood. When a firey vision leads her family to move from sunny California to Wyoming, she meets Christian, the boy she's been placed on Earth to save. But not everything in Jackson Hole is what it appears to be...

Rating: 5/5 It has been a LONG time since a book was able to throw me for a loop with it's ending. The climax combines some gentle misdirection and a surprise that doesn't come out of left field if you stop to think about it. And it's diffenatly been left open for a sequel.

Number Of Pages: 145

Book Title: Dragon's Oath

Author: P.C. Cast and Kristen Cast

Summary: "Strength tempered with mercy..." Long before he was the sword master of the Tulsa House of Night, Dragon Lankford was a cocky young nobleman, stripped of his title when he got on his father's last nerve. Marked on the docks, Dragon had no idea of what awaited him in America...

Rating: 5/5

Number Of Pages: 265

Book Title: The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True

Author: Richard Dawkins

Summary: Aimed mostly at younger (sub-adult) readers, this book quickly explains a wide range of natural phenomena, as well as retells some myths about the related topics that were believed in in earlier times.

Review: Not my favourite Dawkins book. Perhaps if the theme of the book was deeper, I might have overlooked it, but Dawkins sounds noticeably dogmatic at times, and in the context of this book it doesn't seem as justified as it might have in his earlier works. The book has, however, fantastic illustrations and I'm pondering about keeping it in my library primarily because of them.

Number Of Pages: 233

Book Title: Rainbow Boys (reread)

Author: Alex Sanchez

Summary: The tangled tales of three boys, two in the closet and one on the wild side, these highschoolers learn to cope with the pains of coming out, disapproving parents, and learning to accept themselves.

Book Number: 6

Number Of Pages: 384

Book Title: Dragon Age: The Calling (Dragon Age #2)

Author: David Gaider

Summary: Another thrilling prequel to Dragon Age: Origins, the hit role-playing video game from award-winning developer BioWare. If you are a fan of the Dragon Age Origins video game, this book is a must. It gives a fantastic background of Duncan in his early Warden Years. I highly suggest reading this book before playing the Dragon Age expansion as well. It will fill you in a lot more about the main villain and the plot than the actual game does. If you are into fantasy with a punch, read the first one (Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne) and then this one... both are very good.

Review: This one was a good carry on from the first one.

Book Number: 7

Number Of Pages: 400

Book Title: Catching Fire (Hunger Games #2)

Author: Suzanne Collins

Summary: Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

Review: Another very riveting book.  I couldn't put down this book and finished it in 3 nights of late reading smile.gif

Book Number: 8

Number Of Pages: 197

Book Title: The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella

Author: Stephenie Meyer

Summary: This is a very interesting view of vamp life from a newborn's position. Also it shows how Riley manipulates the newborns into becoming army.

Rating: 4/5

Review: Good book for a quick read smile.gif

Book Number: 14

Number Of Pages: 589

Book Title: Under the Dome, part 2

Author: Stephen King

Summary: The continuation of the story and how the people of Cheser's Mill need to find a way for get rid of the dome and fast.

Rating: 4/5

Book Number: 15

Number Of Pages: 141

Book Title: A Clockwork Orange

Author: Anthony Burgess

Summary: A dystopic novel about free will. After another night of "ultra-violence" young Alex is arrested and in prison is subjected to a new medication "curing" agression.

Book Number: 16

Number Of Pages: 255

Book Title: Thunderball

Author: Ian Fleming

Summary: Agent 007 is sent to the Bahamas in search of a stolen nuclear missile that is about to be blown in 72 hours.

Book Number: 17

Number Of Pages: 182

Book Title: The Regatta Mystery and other stories

Author: Agatha Christie

Summary: A collection of some of Christie's short stories, featuring Poirot, Miss Marple and Parker Pine.

Review: (optional)

Number Of Pages: 390

Book Title: The Summoning

Author: Kelley Armstrong

Summary: After seeing the ghost of a janitor at her school, Chloe Saunders is diagnosed with Schizophrenia. She is sendt to Lyle House for treatment. There she discovers that she is a necromancer, and that she actually can communicate with the dead. She isn't just imagining it.

Book Number: 28

Number Of Pages: 521

Book Title: Septimus Heap: Flyte

Author: Angie Sage

Summary: Septimus is now apprentice to the ExtraOrdinary Wizard, Marcia. Jenna (the queenling) has been kidnapped and Septimus (the only one who knows) must go and find her. DomDaniels tries to take over again. Oh, and Septimus finds out that the ring he found makes him the new Dragon Master to the half dragon, half ship. He also finds out that the green rock Jenna gave him is a dragon. tongue.gif

Book Number: 20

Number Of Pages: 336

Book Title: Tithe

Author: Holly Black

Summary: Kaye Fierch is unwillingly pulled into a world of faeries, where she learns that she plays a vital part in the events to come.

Rating: 10/10