BookChallenge

250 Book Challenge 2011

WARNING! MY SUMMARIES MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!

Book Number: 10

Number Of Words: 74,203

Book Title: Beautiful Disaster

Author: Lady Femme Fatale

Summary: Isabelle, who prefers to be called Izzy, is in the middle of preparing for her boyfriend when someone who looks like Jack Sparrow appears. Oddly enough, he is a pirate—from the 18th century—even though his name is Johnny Clover. Then her boyfriend turns out to be cheating on her and Johnny is temporarily stuck in modern times. They go back to the past where Johnny was to lead a war and nearly loses Izzy, who he has fallen in love with, in the process.

Rating: 4/5

Review: This is a pretty good story, and well-written, but it is not one of my favorites. I recommend it for others so that you can form your own opinion. Some of it is inappropriate for minors.

Book Number: 12

Number Of Pages: 272

Book Title: Warriors: Into the Wild

Author: Erin Hunter

Summary: Firepaw leaves his Twoleg home and joins ThunderClan in hopes of becoming a mighty Warrior.

Book Number: 15

Number Of Pages: 240

Book Title: Dealing with Dragons

Author: Patricia C. Wrede

Summary: Cimorene hates being a princess and, on the advice of a talking frog (who is not an enchanted prince) volunteers to be a Dragon's Princess.

Review: I read this series so many times when I was younger and just found the quartet in my library and squealed with joy.

Book Number: 16

Number Of Pages: 272

Book Title: Searching For Dragons

Author: Patricia C. Wrede

Summary: Cimorene's dragon, now the King of Dragons, has gone missing. With the help of the King of the Enchanted Forest, she searchs for her. (King of the Dragons can be any gender, it's the title that matters.)

Review: *points to above review*

Book Number: 17

Number Of Pages: 352

Book Title: Blood Bound

Author: Patricia Briggs

Summary: Mercy, a shapeshifting mechanic, deals with a demon possessed vampire.

Review:I don't like this one as much I like the others. It's not bad, I just like more emotion.

Book Number: 18

Number Of Pages: 512

Book Title: Stalking Darkness (Audio)

Author: Lynn Flewelling

Summary: The Plenamarians are trying to raise their evil god and two rogues, Seregil and Alec do their best to interfere.

Review: They finally get together in this one, yay!

Book Number: 19

Number Of Pages: 368

Book Title: Lord of the White Hell: Book One

Author: Ginn Hale

Summary: Kiram, a Hadiim (aka heathen) is the first to attend a prestigious school where he rooms with a boy (a Duke) who has a "White Hell" inside him and whose cousin is cursed.

Review: I really like this. I am more than 1/2 way through book 2. It was 7am and I was tired.

I'm exceedingly bad at summaries, but I try.

WARNING! MY SUMMARIES CONTAIN SPOILERS!

Book Number: 11

Number Of Words: 29,973

Book Title: Experiment Thirteen

Author: Equilibrium

Summary: Cyra Friday is a mage-in-training when she stumbles upon a body. She is kidnapped and taken to the headquarters of the group that has been experimenting with inhuman characteristics in humans. She finds Experiment Thirteen while trying to escape and accidentally wakes him up. Because he is so vicious, he has to have a Keeper. She becomes his master and gets involved in the rebellion despite just wanting to get home.

Rating: 5/5

Review: I love this story. It still has a long way to go in terms of plot, but Cyra’s reactions to everything are interesting, as well as the other POVs that are sometimes used. It is a little bit gory, but I think it is still appropriate for minors.

Number Of Words: 60,102

Book Title: Silver

Author: sweetsarah2

Summary: Salina Jefferson has two best friends, Aden and Nate. Aden, a nerd, and Nate, a jock, hate each other. While looking for Aden’s watch in the junkyard, a meteorite hits, trapping Sal. She wakes up a year later to find she has transformed and gained superpowers. So have Aden and Nate, with them becoming the villain and hero, respectively. They both still have a crush on her, and adding superpowers to the mix just makes it harder.

Review: This story lacks polish, but is pretty good overall. I love the interactions between Sal and Aden, as well as the descriptions of the powers. I hate the Mayor because he is slimy, and Nate is okay in my eyes. It has both elements of romance and humor, but could be improved upon.

Book Number: 13

Number Of Words: 37,141

Book Title: How to Teach an Old Dog New Tricks

Author: NMPress

Summary: Mia Reynolds gets dumped for no reason when she finds a stray dog. Upon taking him home, he turns into a human! His rudeness in 1763 got him cursed, but his falling in love broke that. But the witch sent trial after dangerous trial toward Mia until it was proven.

Rating: 3.5/5

Review: This story has a funny premise, but didn’t have enough of a hook for me to love it. This story is inappropriate for minors.

Book Number: 14

Number Of Words: 115,750

Book Title: A Black Cat’s Path

Author: L’Archange

Summary: Cassandra saves a black cat and takes him home. He does not appreciate this at first, but slowly falls in love. However, Cassie’s only clue about this is the strange dreams she has featuring a very threatening figure. The evil sorcerer was locked in a cat body for a reason, but his release lands Cassie in a situation where he is trying to pay her back, but only the way he wants to.

Review: I love this story, although it feels like the quality of recent chapters has fallen. This story is inappropriate for minors.

Number Of Words: 29,503

Book Title: Welcome to the Club of Delinquents!

Author: PupPupPop

Summary: Sony Parker likes blending into the background, but a fight with a newcomer to the school lands her in the Friendship Club, a place full of threatening people who mostly start off with wanting to kill Sony. However, she slowly makes her way into their hearts, at least enough for them to want her around.

Review: This is a suspenseful, funny story. It is even a bit scary, to me at least, but in a sarcastic kind of way. This story is inappropriate for minors.

Just saw this, so I'm gonna jump on in! Since August I've read these...

EDIT: This is me signing myself up basically tongue.gif

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages: 807

Book Title: A Game of Thrones

Author: George R.R. Martin

Summary: Follows the Stark family, when Eddard Stark gets asked to go south and become King Robert's Hand (The justice bringer of the king). After Ned (Eddard) becomes Hand he follows a conspiracy that got the previous Hand killed, but during this investigation his wife Catelyn captures the Queen's younger brother Tyrion which starts a war between the north and south. (It's a series so this is book 1)

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 120

Book Title: The Stranger

Author: Albert Camus

Summary: Meursault is called to his mother's funeral where he attends and leaves without shedding a tear for the loss. When he returns to his home he starts a relationship with a woman he works with and a new friendship with a man named Raymond. When he goes to the beach with Raymond they encounter a group of Arabs who have problems with Raymond, so a fight breaks out and Meursault later shoots and kills one of the Arabs. When he goes to court, he is found guilty of murder and sentenced to die.

Rating: 3/5

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages: 202

Book Title: The Lord of the Flies

Author: William Golding

Summary: A group of boys land on a deserted island when their plane crashes out at sea. They start a "tribe" and elect Ralph leader and his first order is to make a signal fire on the top of the mountain. When his elected "hunters" let the fire go out the hunters' leader, Jack, starts a tribe of his own where all they focus on is fun and survival. Ralph is left alone with Piggy, the smartest and fattest boy on the island, and when the new tribe attacks them for Piggy's glasses Ralph and Piggy go to get them back. The new tribe kills Piggy and chases Ralph through the jungle until they see a boat on the other side of the island that takes them home.

So there's my start, I'm gonna shoot for 250!

Edited by DarkXcalibur

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages: 246

Book Title: Doctor Who - The Doctor Trap

Author: Simon Messingham

Summary: The Doctor and Donna land on what seems to be the Earth. Suddenly Donna and the TARDIS disappear and the Doctor is being hunted by someone who wants to have the last of the Time Lords in his collection.

Rating: 4.5/5

Review: It is a good story, but a bit confusing sometimes as it involves a double of the Doctor and the reader doesn't always know who the real Doctor is. It's interesting to read though, specially because we see a darker side of the Doctor.

Book Number: 20

Number Of Pages: 348

Book Title: Lord the White Hell book 2 ~R~

Author: Ginn Hale

Summary: The Duke accepts the White Hell fully, with Kiram's uncle's help, and he attempts to save his cousin from possession.

Review: The first time I read it, the whole battle scene was a bit confusing, though this time it made more sense. And it ends at a but-give-me-more-garshdangit! part. I don't think there is going to be a book 3 in the making. *sigh*

Book Number: 21

Number Of Pages: 560

Book Title: Small Favor (Dresden #10) (Audio) ~R~

Author: Jim Butcher

Summary: A troop of fallen angels have kidnapped the modboss of Chicago and Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, is asked to rescue him as a favor due to one of the Faerie Queens.

Review: I am a huge Dresden fan and being able to hear Dresden be Dresden in James Marsters voice just gives me delicious chills. (That's Spike from Buffy.)

Book Number: 32

Number Of Pages: 177

Book Title: Vampire Kisses: The Coffin Club

Author: Ellen Schreiber

Summary: When Alexander makes a visit to Hipsterville to investigate some strange goings-on, Raven follows and can't resist stopping by her favorite gothic rave, the Coffin Club. But when she stumbles upon power struggle for control of a secret underground club just for vampires, Raven realizes she might have gotten in over her head--and Alexander's not around to save her.

Book Number: 33

Number Of Pages: 195

Book Title: Vampire Kisses: Royal Blood

Summary: Alexander's parents come for a visit from Romania, bringing an end to Raven's free reign of the Mansion. But the last thing she expected was for them to try to sell her favorite location in Dullsville and whisk her boyfriend off to Europe. It's up to Raven and Alexander to prevent his parents from selling of the Mansion, or they might never see each other again.

Book Number: 34

Number Of Pages: 179

Book Title: Vampire Kisses: Love Bites

Summary: Raven meets Alexander's best friend from Romania, Sebastian, for the first time when he drops into Dullsville unexpectedly. Unfortunately, he falls for Raven's best friend Becky, who already has a stellar boyfriend. So Raven tries to hook him up with a vampire girl, but things don't exactly go as planned...

Book Number: 35

Number Of Pages:

Book Title: Vampire Kisses: Cryptic Cravings

Summary: Jagger Maxwell, Alexander's former arch-nemesis and owner of a vampire club in Hipsterville, is looking to start up another club--this time in Raven's very own town. A club is exactly what Dullsville needs, but Jagger's plans might be a little more nefarious than just setting up a place to dance.

Need moar books! :U *runs off to the library*

Book Number: 5

Number Of Pages: 320

Book Title: The Summer of the Ubume

Author: Natsuhiko Kyogoku

Summary: A freelance writer invites a part-time-bookseller-part-time-shino-priest friend to look into a bizarre case of a family which has been afflicted with a woman being pregnant for twenty months, the husband suddenly disappearing without a trace from a locked room and the family generally being known for a history of possession. However, the priest doesn't believe in the supernatural and they embark on disentangling the pile of mysteries that surround the family.

Review: A philosophical mystery novel, this book reads somewhat slowly but the resolution is an absolute kicker, very well-planned and unpredictable at the same time.

Number Of Pages: 278

Book Title: The Cloud Roads

Author: Martha Wells

Summary: An outcast shapeshifter is thrown out from yet another home -- just in time to be found by his own people. Except monsters are trying to kill them, and some of that might be corruption from the inside...

Review: I've yet to meet a Martha Wells book I haven't met. It ought to say something that I freaked when I saw there was a sequel coming out next year. Watching Moon grow from bitter outcast to uncertain community member, seeing him almost lose that (almost give up on it) and then fighting for it, was a real treat.

WARNING! MY SUMMARIES MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!

Number Of Words: 95,915

Book Title: Cupid’s Granddaughter

Author: GermanSam

Summary: Peyton is Cupid’s granddaughter, and has followed in his footsteps for the matchmaking business. When he decides he wants to retire to spend time with his wife, Psyche, he tells her that she is his successor. Though unwilling, she agrees to the case that will determine is she is ready: matching an Immortal, a fallen angel. Things get complicated when she starts falling for him herself.

Review: This story is pretty good. I liked it the first time I read it through, but have not felt any pressing need for a re-read. Some of it is inappropriate for minors.

Book Number: 17

Number Of Words: 96,378

Book Title: Checkers

Author: GermanSam

Summary: Francesca, who goes by Checka, is having her eighteenth birthday in the orphanage she has been at since she was five when she gets a letter. She finds out that she has royal blood, and must compete for the crown of a small country. The two males she is fighting against are distractingly cute, and Checka has to decide on her own if she really wants to rule.

Review: This story may have a similar plotline to Princess Diaries, but it can stand on its own. I like it, but some of it is inappropriate for minors.

Book Number:17

Number Of Pages:400

Book Title:Scumble

Author:Ingrid Law

Summary:A boy must learn to control (scumble) his savvy (magical power).

Book Number:18

Number Of Pages:446

Book Title:The throne of fire

Author:Rick Riordan

Summary:Sadie and Carter bring back the sun god Ra and delay Apophis's rise.

Book Number:19

Number Of Pages:.

Book Title:The red pyramid

Author:Rick Riordan

Summary:Carter and Sadie Kane drefeat Set and his red pyramid, though they lose their father in the process sad.gif

Book Number:20

Number Of Pages:242

Book Title:Searching for dragons.

Author:Patricia C. Wrede

Summary:Cimorene and Mndanbar set out on a quest to rescue Kazul, king of the drgons along with Morwen the witch and Telemain the magician.

Book Number:21

Number Of Pages:282

Book Title:The dork diaries

Author:Rachel Russell

Summary:The school life of the newbie Nikki Maxwell, including her new crush, a popular, mean girl and her annoying little sister.

Book Number:22

Number Of Pages:408

Book Title:Molly Moon and the Morphing Mystery

Author:Georgia Byng

Summary:Molly Moon and Micky learn to morph and defeat their evil tutor, Miss Hunroe.

Book Number:23

Number Of Pages:374

Book Title:Pendragon The Merchant of Death

Author:D J MacHale

Summary:Bobby Pendragon is whisked away to another earth (well, territory) to save it from an evil dude.

Book Number:24

Number Of Pages:556

Book Title:Peter and the Shadow Thieves

Author:Dave Barry & Ridley Pearson

Summary:Peter goes on a quest to save the starstuff from the clutches of some weirdo dude called Lord Ombra with Molly and Tinker Bell.

Book Number:25

Number Of Pages:498

Book Title:TumTum and Nutmeg The Rose Cottage Tails

Author:Emily Bearn

Summary:TumTum and Nutmeg save Christmas for their kids, find some treasure, and stop a gang of thieves.

Book Number:26

Number Of Pages:396

Book Title:Science Fair

Author:David Barry & Ridley Pearson

Summary:Some Crazy weirdos from some Crazy country are doing crazy stuff, a crzy guy who thinks he's Darth Vader is stealing a Star Wars collection, a science nerd is making a big mistake, and Toby is in the middle of it.

Book Number:27

Number Of Pages:407

Book Title:Molly Moon, Micky Minus and the Mind Machine

Author:Georgia Byng

Summary:Molly Moon is taken into the future to rescue her long lost twin brother from an evil chinese queen 500 years into the future. Along the way, she learns to mind read.

Edited by hotbottleo'water1

Book Number: 6/7/8

Number Of Pages: 560

Book Title: Discworld Omnibus 1 (The Colour of Magic (re-read)/ The Light Fantastic (re-read)/ Equal Rites)

Author: Terry Pratchett

Summary: The Colour of Magic: Failed wizard Rincewind only knows 1 spell; that is why he is kicked out of the Unseen University. He ends up as the guide of the first tourist ever, Twoflower. The Light Fantastic: Rincewind and Twoflower always get in trouble, and someway or another, they also get out of it again. This time they travel back to the Unseen University, mainly because that is what the spell in Rincewind's head wants. Equal Rites: Eskarina Smith is the eighth son of an eighth son.. eh, daughter, that is. She received a wizards staff, so she wants to become a wizard. But only boys can become a wizard.. or so they thought.

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages: 576

Book Title: Anita Blake: Vampire hunter, book 7 - Burn Offerings

Author: Laurell Hamilton

Summary: The vampire council comes in town to challenge Jean-Claude and of course Anita gets involved in this too. Meanhile she has to deal with the werewolf and wereleopard pack and with a "firestarter". And with her ex Richard.

Review: It get pretty annoying that with each book we are being bothered (for me at least it's so) more with Anita's personal life and less with her work - as an animator and as a vampire hunter.

Book Number: 5

Number Of Pages: 281

Book Title: Hawk and Fisher

Author:Simon R. Green

Summary: Hawk and Fisher from the Haven security guard have a new assignment - guarding a politician. But soon this routine task becomes a murder investigation.

Review: A locked room murder mystery in a fantasy setting? What more can a person want? LOL

Book Number: 6

Number Of Pages: 253

Book Title: Winner Takes All

Author: Simon R. Green

Summary: Another Hawk and Fisher case. This time they have to guard a politician (again?) during the ongoing elections.

Review: Too much politics and too little crime novel, but interesting nonetheless.

Book Number: 7

Number Of Pages:206

Book Title: A complete collection of stories, vol 5

Author: Raymond Chandler

Summary: Well, I think the title says it all. wink.gif If I hadn't specified earlier - most of the books I read are Bulgarian editions. This one's the last of five volumes of Chandler's stories printed for the first time in Bulgarian.

Rating: 2/5

Review: I'm actually disappointed. The other volumes were pretty cool, but this one contains only one noir story - "Blackmailers don't shoot" - which wasn't anything special. The other 3 stories - "The Bronze Door", "Professor Bingo's Snuff" and "Enlish Summer" - were more... supernatural and not the good king. I mean, they were easy to read and had interesting premise but the conclusions didn't answer the questions one might have while reading these stories.

Book Number: 8

Number Of Pages: 253

Book Title: Rise and Fall of the Great Empires

Author: Andrew Taylor

Summary: A non-fiction book about some of the great empires that have existed throughout the course of human history - from ancient ones such as Shumer to modern like the USSR

Review: And a very beautiful edition I might add wink.gif

Book Number: 9

Number Of Pages: 240

Book Title: Annual Editions - International Business 96/97

Author: various

Summary: A collection of various articles about international business combined in one book.

Review: Well, actually, this is very old information - after all the articles are from 1996/97. But it helps me prepare for my exam so it's OK. I wouldn't reread it though.

Book Number: 10

Number Of Pages: 239

Book Title: The Winter Ghosts

Author: Kate Mosse

Summary: Freddie Watson has lost his brother, and his grief never lets go, even many years later. He travels abroad, and after crashing his car during a snowstorm, he ends up in a little village, where he discoveres that he might be able to solve an ancient mystery.

Book Number - 18

Book - Star Trek - Vulcan's Forge

Pages - 328

Author - Josepha Shuman and Susan Schwartz

Review - A good book looking at young/old Spock and his forming life, and how he went into Ambassadoring.

Reread.~

Number Of Pages: 274

Book Title: The Dark is Rising: Silver on the Tree

Author: Susan Cooperr

Summary: The six fight the dark in one last battle. I really hate how they have to *spoiler* in the end. tongue.gif

Book Number: 13

Number Of Pages: 233

Book Title: The Seventh Tower: Aenir

Author: Garth Nix

Summary: Tal and Milla go to Aenir. They get Spiritshadows(much to Milla's displeasure). They find the Codex. Make it out of Aenir and lots of other stuff.

Book Number: 14

Number Of Pages: 246

Book Title: The Seventh Tower: Above the Veil

Summary: Tal and Crow go above the viel to the red tower and get the red keystone. Milla makes it back to the Rune Ship and tells the Crones what threatens The Dark World. (The Crones beside not to kill her) They make her THE War-Chief

Number Of Pages: 201

Book Title: The Seventh Tower: Into Battle

Summary: Tal goes back to Aenir in search for the Empress to get Lokar free and warn her that Sushin is trying to destroy the veil so the Spiritshadows can take over. *Spoilers Removed* tongue.gif Tal finds the Violet Keystone.

Meanwhile Milla leads Icecarls in the assault against the towers.

Number Of Pages: 233

Book Title: The Seventh Tower: The Violet Keystone

Summary: Short version: The Icecarls are able to take over the Tower. Tal and Milla go and defeat Sharrakor with the help of Crow and Malen. Crow gives his life to deliver the final blow to the "Spiritshadow". Tal becomes the Emperor of the Castle.

I really love Ebbitt's character. xd.png

And so ends The Seventh Tower~ <3

Edited by evangeline5432

Re-read

Number Of Pages: 342

Book Title: Her Majesty’s Wizard

Author: Christopher Stasheff

Summary: When Matt found a bit of parchment scrap he had no idea how much trouble it would bring him. Now, whisked away to a world of Knights and villains, in a world where magic works by speaking in verse, Matt must race to save a princess, heal a dragon, recruit an army and save the day.

Review: First of Stasheff’s book I’d ever read and still a favorite. A lot of movies out there have “a ----- in king Arthur’s court” where someone from modern day USA ends up in the past, but this book is a nice take on it. But rather than our past, it’s an AU where Rome was Reme, and the Empires of old were longer lived. A very good read!

Rating: 5 out of 5

Re-read

Number Of Pages: 398

Book Title: The Oatbound Wizard

Author: Christopher Stasheff

Summary: Once again Matt’s in trouble. Mad about his impending wedding once again being put off, he swears to conquer an evil kingdom if that’s what it will take to win his bride. Only problem is in the world of Magic and Verse, such Oaths are binding. Magically Binding. Now Matt must overthrow the evil King of Ibile or die trying.

Review: Another good book about swords and sorcery, with many new characters and some old favorites re-appearing. Just as captivating as the first book.

Rating: 5 out of 5

Book Number: 6

Number Of Pages: 321

Book Title: The White Tiger

Author: Aravind Adiga

Summary: This book tells a not-very-glorifying tale about a Hindu entrepreneur's life as a Northern Indian village boy and driver/servant to his politically oriented employers, and his eventual success in becoming an entrepreneur via scamming, pretension and murder.

Book Number - 19

Book - Star Trek - Log 7

Pages - 184

Author - Alan Dean Foster

Review - Inconsistencies are rife, but this is adapted from the earliest of Star Trek scripts, but otherwise good fun. Although I feel it is massively out-of-character for Spock, Bones, heck anyone to pick up on the oddities of the reverse universe from the outset. I picked up on it the moment they mentioned they reversed in aging.

Number Of Pages: 295

Book Title: Dead as a Doornail

Author: Charlaine Harris

Summary: A number of shifters have been shot in the Bon Temps area, and suspicions are pointing towards Jason. Sookie is worried for her brother but little does she realise she is also a target.

Updated up to here.

@Caius - I shall have to discuss the idea with the other mod but I doubt we'll agree to using your own written work.

@Danne - Sorry about that, you are right it is 500 pages. Yes graphic novels also count so long as they have 500 pages.

@DarkXcalibur - You can only count books you've read after you have joined up, not books from before.

@everyone - If anybody sees any mistakes feel free to point them out here or over PM, everybody misses things and we'd love to be able to correct things as soon as possible. Of course keep in mind that both us mods are very busy at the moment and it may take a little while for us to respond.

Book Number - 20

Book - Star Trek - Log 8

Pages - 184

Author - Alan Dean Foster

Review - Inconsistencies are rife again, and this time very much out-of-character actions from the main characters. I'm surprised this ever became official to be honest.