BookChallenge

250 Book Challenge 2011

Book Number: 7

Number Of Pages: 109

Book Title: Jerntreet

Author: Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi

Summary: When their sister is kidnapped by dwarfs at a fencing competition, Simon and Jared Grace have to find a way to trick the dwarfs to give her back, without getting killed in the process.

Book Number: 8

Number Of Pages: 135

Book Title: Mulgarath's vrede

Author: Toni DiTerlizzi and Holly Black

Summary: Mulgarath has managed to get a hold of Arthur Spiderwick's book, and a large army. If his evil plans weren't enough of a problem, he's kidnapped Jared's mother as well. Can the Grace siblings save her?

Book Number: 12

Number Of Pages: Kindle [X]- no page numbers again I'm afraid, but defiantly over the limit

Book Title: The Golden Bell (Darklands)

Author: Autumn Dawn

Summary: Actually the 3rd book in the series but I read it first for some reason. Rain is captured by the cult and is rescued by Fallon and the Haunt. Having been on the run from one thing or the other she obviously not only has problems trusting people but has panic attacks too. Fallon however is not deterred.

Rating: 3/5

Review: The summery seemed really promising, and now after reading the first 2 I understand it more, but the ending was waaaay to rushed for me

Book Number: 13

Number Of Pages: Another Kindle with no page numbers [X]

Book Title: The Charmer (Darklands)

Summary: Jasmine tries to rescue her childhood friend from the Darklands and her supposed long lost family. But when Wiley starts to like her arranged husband, Jasmine also stats loosing the will to go back to Earth what with the attentions of Keilor and all

Rating: 4.5/10

Review: The first book in the series, much better then the 3rd one, although some bits were skipped over too much and others blown way up

Book Number: 14

Number Of Pages: Kindle with no page numbers [X]

Book Title: Scent of Danger (Darklands)

Summary: Andrea goes to visit her grandmother but then gets tricked into staying and taking over her job as housekeeper for a wealthy man, Fallon. Mathin visits with Fallon and they discover that Andrea is also a Charmer and so is endanger and could possibly endanger the whole of the Darklands. Mathin thinks its best to take her with him, though that isn't his only reason for wanting her.

Rating: 4.5/5

Review: Very good, I liked Mathin in the last book, but the whole book was very like the first one. Still good though

Book Number: 15

Number Of Pages: 325 pages

Book Title: Love's Magic

Author: Traci E. Hall

Summary: Celestia and Nicholas are forced to marry by the Barron Peregrine for reasons unknown. Nicholas is actually the Barrons son, though hes believed himself a censorkip.gif*** all his life. Celestia is a healer who will loose her powers if she marries without love. So she has to try and make Nicholas love her despite is extremely difficult past and the curse surrounding his father.

Edited by Chiaki

Book Number: 22

Number Of Pages: 228

Book Title: The Vampire Files: The Dark Sleep

Author: P N Elrod

Summary: As his girlfriend Bobbi moves up in the social circles of performing musicians and dancers, Jack has to contend with an overly friendly radio host. But after an attempt on his partner Escott's life, Jack realizes Escott's mysterious past has come back to haunt him.

Book Number: 23

Number Of Pages: 143

Book Title: Animorphs #44: The Unexpected

Author: K A Applegate

Summary: After a mission gone wrong, Cassie ends up stranded somewhere completely new... the Australian Outback. With the Yeerks after her, she must enlist the help of the locals to get home alive.

Book Number: 24

Number Of Pages: 136

Book Title: Animorphs #45: The Revelation

Author: K A Applegate

Summary: When Marco's dad starts talking about building a new hyper-advanced piece of technology, Marco suspects the Yeerks may have gotten to his father. But his investigation leads to the revelation of the truth to his father about the secret war against the Yeerks, something that the Animorphs just might not survive.

Book Number: 25

Number Of Pages: 360

Book Title: The Familiars

Author: Adam Jay Epstein and Andrew Jacobson

Summary: Aldwyn, a regular alley cat, is mistakenly selected to be a young wizard's magical animal companion--his familiar. But when his new friend is kidnapped, it's up to Aldwyn and two other familiars--a bluejay and a treefrog--to rescue their captive companions.

Book Number: 9

Number Of Pages: 668

Book Title: Eldest

Author: Christopher Paolini

Summary: Eragon travels to Ellesmera to resume his training and Roran faces challenges of his own back in Carvahall.

Book Number: 10

Number Of Pages: 534

Book Title: Inkheart

Author: Cornelia Funke

Summary: Meggie learns about a magical world which got herself and her father in a whole lot of trouble.

There is a skip in numbers, those numbers have been sent to BookChallenge.

Book Number: 25

Number Of Words : 760446

Book Title: A Year Like None Other http://archive.skyehawke.com/story.php?no=5036

Author: Aspen in the Sunlight

Summary: *reread* It all started with a letter from home and family. Except, Harry doesn't really have either, does he? He's about to get them. A Snape-adopts-Harry story providing an alternate 6th year. Winner: Multifaceted Best Genfic, Best Draco Fic.

Book Number: 26

Number Of Words: 225007

Book Title: A Summer Like None Other http://archive.skyehawke.com/story.php?no=13093

Summary: *reread* Family isn't everything, as Harry, Snape, and Draco discover in this sequel to A Year Like None Other. How will a mysterious mirror and a surprising new relationship affect a father and his two sons?

Book Number: 27

Number Of Words :349130

Book Title: A Family Like None Other http://archive.skyehawke.com/story.php?no=17466

Summary: *reread* Third story in the "Like None Other" universe. During his final year at Hogwarts, relationships will splinter as Harry confronts secrets long-buried and faces the greatest challenge of them all.

Book Number: 28

Number Of Pages: 116

Book Title: The Rumpelstiltskin Problem

Author: Vivian Vande Velde

Summary: Six different revisions of the Rumpelstiltskin tale, each tale is completely silly and I found this to be funny.

Book Number: 29

Number Of Pages:

Book Title: Sea Swept

Author: Nora Roberts

Summary: *reread* Beginning of a quartet. Three adult brothers suddenly have custody of a boy named Seth. The eldest brother, Cameron would much rather be racing than caring for a boy with a background too much like his own. Enter Anna, the social worker in charge of Seth's case.

Edited by Shalarean

Book Number: 29

Meep, I'm falling behind! Must catch up! *reads furiously*

Book Number: 26

Number Of Pages: 253

Book Title: Vampire Kisses

Author: Ellen Schreiber

Summary: Raven Madison wanted to be a vampire ever since she was a little girl, much to the dismay of everyone around her. And when an enigmatic new family moves into the creepy mansion on the outskirts of town, Raven can't help falling in love with Alexander Sterling, a drop-dead gorgeous goth like herself. But love isn't simple. Will Raven be able to keep her new romance from falling apart?

Signed up but haven't appeared on the participant list yet

Book Number: 1

Number of Pages: 366

Book Title: Good Omens

Author: Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett

Summary: Basically the Anti-Christ is born, but those Above and Below lose track of him… The 4 Horsemen shoe up on motorcycles and the Kid who is supposed to end the world just wants to enjoy his summer! I can’t say more without giving a lot away.

Review: A… very odd and very funny take on the “end of the world” by way of the “Anti-Christ”. The Angel and the Devil are a trip but I feel sorry for that poor car! ----

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

yay for 6 hour car rides

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages: 325

Book Title: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Author: Alan Dean Foster

Summary: After the defeat of Megatron and the other Decepticons world leaders begin to wonder when the smaller skirmishes will end. The remaining shards of the Allspark are contained in top secret location. What reason could the Decepticons have for remaining?

Book Number: 5

Number Of Pages: 286

Book Title: Transformers: Ghosts of Yesterday

Author: Alan Dean Foster

Summary: The year is 1969 and all eyes are watching the frist ever trip to the moon. All eyes save for a small few imbarking on an entirely different trip. Ghost 1, a ship built from reverse engineering of the entity known only as the Ice Man is sent on mission to map the solar system and maybe discover the Ice Man's orgin.

Review: This was an interesting read, wrote as a prequel to the orignal film it unfortantly sets up continuity problems with the second and third films. Apperently the film-makers failed to read the story lines before extending the story here on Earth. smile.gif Ignoring those problems, it is a good book.

Book Number: 2

Number of Pages: 375

Book Title: Wee Free Men

Author: Terry Pratchett

Summary: re-read ----------Set peripherally in Diskworld, the Hero, Tiffany Aching, sets out to rescue her bratty little brother from the Queen of Winter with the help of the Nac Mac Feegle (6 inches tall, blue, Kilt wearing, and able to lift and carry off 50-100 times their weight) and her trusty frying pan in hand.

Review: The bit with the Lawyer towards the end was just too funny! And I love the Feegle biggrin.gif they are so much fun to read (at least once you get used to who the author writes their accent)

Rating:---- 5 out of 5

Book Number: 3

Number of Pages: 327

Book Title: The Courtship of Princess Leia

Author: Dave Wolverton

Summary: Tells the Story of how Han and Leia of Star Wars came to be married. Loosely ties in to the “Rogue Squadron” arc and involves a crash landing on an odd world, a female dominated Society, And the obligatory battle against users of the Dark Side.

Review: OK as Star Wars books from the late 90’s goes, but not the greatest.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Lordy but I hate traveling. But I have a stack of books to read, and this way I make headway

Re-read

Book Number: 4

Number of Pages: 272

Book Title: When Demons Walk

Author: Patricia Briggs

Summary: -------- The Kingdom of Southwood, after being conquered by an empire that abhors magic, is now being stalked by a Demon. Former Sorcerer’s apprentice Sham, a blind stable boy of hidden origins, and the Regent of the Land must find it and stop it before it’s too late.

Review: A wonderful crossing of Swords and Sorcery with a mystery novel. Not that long, and while the back story could be flushed out a bit more, and could stand to be a bit longer. It was a good read all around.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Book Number:12

Number Of Pages:

Book Title:Harry Potter and the half blood Prince

Author:J K Rowling

Summary: Harry has new special classes with Dumbledore, and Snape finally gets Defense Against the Dark arts teacher. Horace Slughorn replaces him as Potions Master. Little does he know about the half blood prince who wrote all over harry's "new" textbook.

Book Number:13

Number Of Pages:553

Book Title:The Lost Hero

Author:Rick Riordan

Summary:Jason appears on a field trip with amnesia and from there eembarks on an adventure with Leo and Piper. His adventure includes Happy the Bronze Dragon, a bunch of gods, and a missing guy from Camp Half-Blood. However, Jason has the feeling he doesn't belong. (Reread)

Book Number:14

Number Of Pages:107

Book Title:Puppy Puzzle

Author:Ben M Baglio

Summary:Mandy's parents are vets, but she doesn't have the time for any pets herself. So when pet day comes around, James Hunter, her new best friend, shares his new puppy with her. After that, though, Sarah accidentally takes his new puppy instead of her own! They swap puppies and all is well. (Reread)

Book Number:15

Number Of Pages:121

Book Title:Hamster Hotel

Summary:Mandy's Grandparents are taking care of a friend's hamster. Mandy helps them take care of him. But one day he disappears! (Reread)

Book Number:16

Number Of Pages:134

Book Title:Squirrels in the school

Summary:Mandy and James are in a school play, but A family of squirrels are making it hard to prepare. Mandy forms a plan to rescue them so they won't be killed with poison. (Reread)

also, I forgot- All the harry potters are rereads.

Edited by hotbottleo'water1

Number Of Pages: 336

Book Title: Moon Called (Audio) ~R~

Author: Patricia Briggs

Summary: A mechanic, and coyote shapeshifter, is neighbor to a werewolf Alpha. When he gets attacked and his human daughter kidnapped, she helps him get her back.

Review: Love this series. This is about my 5th time reading it, though my first time listening to it. Now I'm waiting for book 2 to be available so I can listen to that one as well.

Ugh, I've been doing too much knitting and not enough reading. I need to get back to my books!

Number Of Pages: 231

Book Title: The Running Man

Author: Stephen King

Summary: In an anti-utopic world, a poor man decides to earn money for his family from a TV game - "The Running Man".

Rating: 5/5

Book Number - 13

Book - Doctor Who - Prisoner of the Daleks

Pages - 249

Author - Trevor Baxendale

Review - Enjoyable to see the Doctor firmly on the back foot, but it was let down by the traditional Bond-villain weakness. 'Here, Doctor, is my master plan in precise detail...'

Book Number - 14

Book - Star Trek: The Next Generation - Reunion

Pages - 343

Author - Michael Jan Freidman

Review - Annoyingly, the book itself is set after an entire series that I didn't get to read, so now plenty of spoilers. Aside from that, highly enjoyable - I am a fan of Mr Freidman's work.

Book Number: 6

Number Of Pages: 224

Book Title: Destroy All Cars

Author: Blake Nelson

Summary: James Hoff is a high-school student who hates consumerism in America. He aims to ban all cars, but there are some other things that need taking care of first, like getting back together with his ex-girlfriend Sadie.

Rating: 7/10

Number Of Pages: 416

Book Title: The Dead

Author: Charlie Higson

Summary: When a mysterious sickness breaks out, targeting everyone over the age of 14 and turning some of them into zombies, friends Jack and Ed have to fight to stay alive.

Rating: 10/10

Number Of Pages: 416

Book Title: The Last Apprentice - Rage of the Fallen

Author: Joseph Delaney

Summary: Tom Ward, apprentice to the Spook, must flee to Ireland to escape war. He soon falls into another dangerous situation, with creatures of the dark (witches, mages, even the Devil himself) always at his heels.

Rating: 9/10

Number Of Pages: 320

Book Title: The Pit Dragon Trilogy - Dragon's Blood

Author: Jane Yolen

Summary: Jakkin is a bonder, little better-off than a slave. The only way to freedom is to steal a dragon egg, raise it to maturity, and win a series of brutal fights in the dragon pits.

Book Number: 10 (re-read)

Number Of Pages: 272

Book Title: The Tale of Despereaux

Author: Kate DiCamillo

Summary: A unique mouse fights for his love, learning the values of truth, justice, dreams, and hope.

Rating: 10/10

Book Number: 27

Number Of Pages: 277

Book Title: Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident (re-read)

Author: Eoin Colfer

Summary: When the elven police force finds out that a human is smuggling to a goblin gang, Artemis Fowl, boy genius, is their number-one suspect. But Artemis has other problems--his father is being held hostage by the Russian mafiya and it's up to him to plot a rescue. If anyone is going to get a happy ending, Artemis and the elves will have to resolve their differences and work together to save the day.

All 3 are a re-read

Number of Pages: about 160

Book Title: Swords of Haven story 1: Hawk and Fisher

Author: Simon R. Green

Summary: In a City called Haven the corrupt and the wealthy rule over everyone and everything. The City Guard fight a losing battle in the midst of Magic and Monsters. Enter two of the most unlikely heroes- Hawk and his wife Fisher as they fight spell-caster, demons, and thieves. Story 1: Hawk and Fisher are trapped in a building with a murderer and a lot of potential suspects.

Review: Really good as far as mystery who-done-it books go. Green has a very distinctive writing style and tends to re-cycle character ideas though. Story 1 in a 3 story collection with a surprise twist at the ending. Could have been longer

Rating: 4 out of 5

Number of Pages: about 200

Book Title: Swords of Haven story 2: Winner Takes All

Summary: Hawk and Fisher are back in Haven. This time they are attempting the impossible: Keeping politicians honest during an election! Murder and intrigue abound as a crooked politician tries to win the vote at all costs… or is he? Who is really behind the killings? It’s a race against the clock to find out who done it before the polls close!

Review: A nice mystery with plenty of twists and turns in the plot to keep me from betting board on a long trip

Number of Pages: about 170

Book Title: Swords of Haven story 3: The God Killer

Summary: Last of the Swords of Haven. There’s a killer on the loose in Haven. But this time… this time the victims aren’t just anybody, this time the slain are the Gods. How will Hawk and Fisher stop someone not even the Gods can face?

Review: This one moved at a bit of a… choppy pace I felt. As with all of the Hawk and Fisher books, it had many wonderful plot twists and intrigue, but it could have been longer. Total pages for the 3 book collection: 540

All 3 are a re-read

Number of Pages: about 160

Book Title: Swords of Haven story 1: Hawk and Fisher

Summary: In a City called Haven the corrupt and the wealthy rule over everyone and everything. The City Guard fight a losing battle in the midst of Magic and Monsters. Enter two of the most unlikely heroes- Hawk and his wife Fisher as they fight spell-caster, demons, and thieves. Story 1: Hawk and Fisher are trapped in a building with a murderer and a lot of potential suspects.

Review: Really good as far as mystery who-done-it books go. Green has a very distinctive writing style and tends to re-cycle character ideas though. Story 1 in a 3 story collection with a surprise twist at the ending. Could have been longer

Number of Pages: about 200

Book Title: Swords of Haven story 2: Winner Takes All

Summary: Hawk and Fisher are back in Haven. This time they are attempting the impossible: Keeping politicians honest during an election! Murder and intrigue abound as a crooked politician tries to win the vote at all costs… or is he? Who is really behind the killings? It’s a race against the clock to find out who done it before the polls close!

Review: A nice mystery with plenty of twists and turns in the plot to keep me from betting board on a long trip

Number of Pages: about 170

Book Title: Swords of Haven story 3: The God Killer

Summary: Last of the Swords of Haven. There’s a killer on the loose in Haven. But this time… this time the victims aren’t just anybody, this time the slain are the Gods. How will Hawk and Fisher stop someone not even the Gods can face?

Review: This one moved at a bit of a… choppy pace I felt. As with all of the Hawk and Fisher books, it had many wonderful plot twists and intrigue, but it could have been longer. Total pages for the 3 book collection: 540

LOL! laugh.gif That's what I'm reading right now!!!! Nice choice wink.gif

Anyway, I'll make an update on my progress when i Finish Winner Takes All smile.gif

Number Of Words: 79,341

Book Title: He Followed Me Home

Author: conleyswifey

Summary: Francine knew she had a gift when she saw a dead soldier as a ten-year-old. Fifteen years later, Wyatt follows her home. He brings her coffee, scares her ex-boyfriend, and falls in love with her. Even as she starts falling too, her job, best friend Janice, and other issues not to be together make their relationship a rocky road.

Review: This isn’t my favorite romance, but it is a good read. Wyatt is my favorite character, especially when he gets jealous. This story is rated T, so it should be read only by children above 13 years of age.

Number Of Words: 22,633

Book Title: Black Moon

Author: Arushi

Summary: Anya offers a stranger a ride and he turns out to be a vampire who is interested in her. Akira, his brother Nick, and his servant, Sebastian, help lure Anya away from the husband she doesn’t want, but he does not want to put the work he did to get her to go to waste.

Review: This story has both romance and suspense and therefore my approval. Nick is my favorite character here, even though Anya herself is interesting to read. This story is rated T, so it should be read only by children above 13 years of age.

Book Number: 11

Number Of Pages: 368

Book Title: I Shall Wear Midnight

Author: Terry Pratchett

Summary: Fifteen-year-old Tiffany Aching must go about her (rather unglamorous) duties of being a witch, while uncovering the source of evil that's been spreading lies and threats about witches.

Rating: 8/10

Well, I finally have time to post my first 2 books...

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages: 316

Book Title: Dark Curse, Nicolas & Lara (Dark series #19)

Author:Christine Feehan

Summary: Lara Calladine is haunted by childhood memories of being held prisoner in an ice cave and kept sane by the whispered stories told to her by her imprisoned aunts. They instilled mage and Carpathian magic deep within her and then helped her escape. She has spent years searching for the cave in hopes of finding the answers to the riddle of her past as well as finding her aunts who may have given their lives saving her.  Nicolas De La Cruz has returned to the Carpathian Mountains - his homeland - on orders from his eldest brother, Zacarias, to bring news of a conspiracy to the prince of their people. He is weary of his long existence and plans to end it away from his brothers, where they will be unable to stop him once he has fulfilled his duty.  Lara and Nicolas' paths collide in an explosive adventure that rocks the Carpathian world.

Review: Great book, ties in more family members, clears up some misconceptions, and give "Dark" fans more Carpathian history smile.gif

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 368

Book Title: The First Eagle (Joe Leaphorn & Jim Chee Series #13)

Author: Tony Hillerman

Summary: For acting Lieutenant Jim Chee, the murder of a Navajo Tribal Police officer seems like an open-and-shut case when he discovers a Hopi poacher huddled over the victim's butchered corpse. However, Chee's newly retired predecessor, Joe Leaphorn, believes otherwise.  Hired to find a missing biologist who was searching for the key to a virulent hidden plague—and who vanished in the same area and on the same day the policeman was slain—Leaphorn suspects both events are somehow connected. And the reported sighting of a "skinwalker"—a Navajo witch—has Leaphorn and Chee seeking answers to a deadly riddle in a dark place where superstition and science collide.

Review: Love these Native American mysteries... this is Hillerman at his best and he will keep you guessing though out the book smile.gif

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages: 264

Book Title: Midnight Sun

Author:Stephenie & Christiaan Meyer

Summary: Another version of Stephenie's 1st book Twilight... story seen in 1st person thru Edward's eyes... quite a different perspective on a story already told in book and film form... A little darker... covers Edward's struggle with his obsessive attraction to Bella's blood, and the other vampire's REAL feelings about Edward's obsession with Bella.

Review: Love this version, wish there had been more of the story carried on in this perspective:)

Re-read of the 3 story book collection "Guards of Haven"

Number Of Pages: 176

Book Title: Wolf in the Fold

Summary: City guard Hawk and Fisher are back in the first part of a 3 book collection “Guards of Haven”. This time they must impersonate “Quality” Haven’s term for the Noble Class. If they are caught, their superiors will deny any knowledge of them and they will be executed. But to catch a spy, Hawk and Fisher must go forward despite the fact that shapechange magic cannot be used to disguise them!

Review: This volume helps tie Hawk and Fisher in a bit better with another Book by Green “Blue Moon Rising” and starts to hint at more of the duo’s shrouded past. But while the foreshadowing helps, Green has yet again recycled the idea of “Group of people with secrets trapped in a building with a killer”.

Number Of Pages: 167

Book Title: Guard Against Dishonor

Summary: A new super drug is showing up on the streets of Haven causing madness and death. Hawk and Fisher race to stop the distribution and prevent the deaths of thousands, but when the dust settles and the bad guys are in jail, all the drugs vanish. With no evidence the ones responsible are allowed to walk. Now Hawk and Fisher must find the drugs, and stop the corrupt Guard before it’s too late.

Review: Not bad over all. Plenty of twists and turns in the plot to keep your attention

Book Number: 10

Number Of Pages: 214

Book Title: The Bones of Haven

Summary: Something has happened to cause the Dead in Haven to stir and it isn’t good. With the dead killing the living, and Ancient Beings on the move, it’s up to Hawk and Fisher to save the Living and the Dead from what’s coming!

Review: A bit longer than the other 6 Hawk and fisher books, and well worth the time to read. Keeps you guessing on what is next through out and has a very touching bit between Hawk and Fisher towards the end

Rating: 5 out of 5

Book Number: 12

Number Of Pages: 400

Book Title: The Maze Runner

Author: James Dashner

Summary: When Thomas wakes up, remembering nothing but his name, he is in a mysterious camp with a group of boys, surrounded by a huge maze. Very soon, he finds out that escape from the Maze is going to be harder- and more imperative- than everyone thought.

I would like to sing up for this again, even though I may not read all too much these days... Last year it actually helped me to read more books so I hope it'll help me again since I really love to read.

And I've one question, I know that you're allowed to count unpublished fiction if it has over 20,000 words. I write quite many stories myself and I always read them when I'm done since I want to make sure that I haven't failed with the grammar or spelling somewhere in the story... So would those count too...?

Number Of Pages: 310

Book Title: Last of the Jedi: The Door Within

Author: Wayne Thomas Batson

Summary: Aidan is a scared boy, never fought his battles. He is chosen by the King to come to his land where he learns to fight. He goes on a mission for the King. He goes through several trials and tribulations in which he knows the king is always with him. Stuff happens yada yada. It's kinda a big comparison to the story of the Christian God.

Number Of Pages: 215

Book Title: The Seventh Tower: Castle

Author: Garth Nix

Summary: Tal finally gets back to the tower after a long journey with the help from Milla. Tal gets a sunstones. After getting captured they escape and Tal's uncle splits the sunstone giving half to Milla. They both go to Aenir.

I went back over my notes and realized that I had said I read the book Castle last year...somehow I got the names of two books switched...I read a different Garth Nix book....