BookChallenge

250 Book Challenge 2011

Book Number: 13

Number Of Pages: 192

Book Title: CSU #1: Desaparecida (the book doesn't exist in English, but the English title would be Missing)

Author: Caroline Terrée

Summary: The CSU (Crime Support Unit) team have to find a girl, who was last seen in a forest.

Book Number: 8

Number Of Pages: 414

Book Title: Natural Selection

Author: Dave Freedman

Summary: There is an unknown species in the water. It is evolving. It is migrating to the land. And the humans have no idea what they are about to face.

Book Number: 9

Number Of Pages: 531

Book Title: Thunderhead

Author: Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child

Summary: Nora Kelly has just received a letter from her long missing father that is sixteen years old. It tells of an archaeological find that will make her famous. But there are those who would rather that this find remains lost.

Book Number: 10

Number Of Pages: 447

Book Title: Leviathan

Author: David Goleman

Summary: Around the world ships are suddenly under attack. When they find what attacks them the world will be amazed.

Book Number: 18

Number Of Pages: 417

Book Title: Interview with the Vampire

Author: Anne Rice

Summary: I think everybody knows it - It's about Louis, a vampire who tells the story of his life as an undead to a journalist

Rating: 4/5

Book Number: 19

Number Of Pages: 655

Book Title: Mistborn: The Final Empire

Author: Brandon Sanderson

Summary: In a dark and misty world a group of rebels devises a plan to overthrow the ruling tyrant - the Lord Ruler.

Rating: 5/5

Book Number: 20

Number Of Pages: 266

Book Title: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Author: Ian Fleming

Summary: Agent 007 continues his search for the criminal mastermind Ernst Stavro Blofeld (which we've seen in the previous novel Thunderball) and that search leads him to an allergy research facility high in the Alps. And meanwhile he falls in love.

Rating: 4.5/5

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages: 363

Book Title: The Iron King

Author: Julie Kagawa

Summary: Megan Chase learns that she's a faery when her kid brother is kidnapped by the Iron King. She has to enter Nevernever in order to reclaim him.

Rating: 4

Review: I'd been hearing so many good things about this book before I even picked it up. I guess that might be why I tried hard to find something bad about it but when I did I tried to talk myself out of it. Overall it was a nice read but my mind kept picturing The Labyrinth (the movie) throughout the whole book, especially when the packrats showed up. That part made me almost close the book but I told myself "Henson did not create the packrats, for all I know. They could've been in fairy lore for a longggg time." Although it still bugs me I did like what Kagawa did with them. They reminded me of the yellow things in Despicable Me. Oh yeah, and there's one part of the book I didn't really get. When Ash and Megan were in the cement tube. Did they just kiss or do the naughty? Because they were really connected after that.

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 359

Book Title: The Iron Daughter

Author: Julie Kagawa

Summary: Megan Chase has returned home, or so she thought until Ash comes to collect her for their deal they'd made in the previous book. In the Winter court Ash ignores her and treats her like common poo. She and Puck go off on their own to fight the Iron Fey but find Virus instead - who has done something terrible to Ash!

Rating: 4

Review: I'm really sleep right now and can't really remember this one... All I know is Kagawa needs to stop with the "Megan Chase..." stuff and having the girl faint around every bend and screaming! Although... if I was in her position I'd might scream too. But wouldn't she be desensitized by book three? Maybe Megan Chase needs iron pills. I love Grim and how he answers everything with a simple. "I am a cat." Like that's the answer to everything! He really does crack me up.

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages: 329

Book Title: Texan's Wager

Author: Jodi Thomas

Summary: Three woman are thrown off a wagon trail to fend for themselves. They run across a big burly man who wants to take their wagon and one of the girls for himself until Bailee strikes him across the head. The other two, realizing she just committed murder, strike him on the head as well. They go to a town not far from there and confess their crime. The sheriff breaks a deal with them; if they agree to marry someone from town they will avoid the death penalty.

Rating: 4.5

Review: I really, really liked this. The only real downfall of the story is the leading male, Carter Mckoy. He was raised by his father and deaf mother until someone broke in and killed them when he was six, I think. Sheriff found him and gave him to the preacher but he then ran away sometime after that back to his families farm. He is majorly standoffish and rarely talks through the book. He really doesn't understand anything except farming. The way he thought of Bailee in the beginning was a little worrying too. But if you can climb over that, the story is really nice and I'll be reading the four others soon after I finish the Iron Fey books.

I was told to bold this by BookChallenge so i could be added to the list by the mods I am on my 11th book now

Book number: 11

Number of Pages: 494

Book Title: Polar Shift

Author: Clive Cussler

Summary: An anarchy group is armed with a technology that could destroy the world.

Book Number: 34

Number Of Pages: 556

Book Title: Peter and the Shadowthieves

Author: Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson

Summary: The Others are after the starstuff. In the first book, the Starcatchers managed to get the starstuff, but now they have to Return it. The Others do their best to defeat them.

Book Number: 16

Number Of Pages: 189

Book Title: Няма смисъл (Niama smisal - which roughly translated is "There is no sense")

Author: Иво Сиромахов (Ivo Siromahov)

Summary: It's a book consisting of Siromahov's articles he'd published in magazines and newspapers through the years. In them, in a sarcastic, ironic and incredibly witty way, he tells about the problems in Bulgaria and suggests funny ways of dealing with them.

Book Number: 17

Number Of Pages: 483 (Bulgarian edition)

Book Title: Let the right one in

Author: John Ajvide Lindqvist

Summary: Oscar is a lonely, bullied in school boy, who doesn't have any friends until he meets Eli - a vampire, who changes his life forever.

Rating: 4/5

Book Number: 12

Number Of Pages: 341

Book Title: Santa Olivia

Author: Jacqueline Carey

Summary: Loup Garron has grown up different in a world much different from ours. She will risk her life to protect her town and her chosen family.

Number Of Pages: 293

Book Title: Strange Angels

Author: Lili St. Crow

Summary: Dru Anderson's is alone for the first time in her life. Blessed with her special gift and a knowledge of the Real World, Dru will have to face off against the monsters are hunting her.

Book Number: 14

Number Of Pages: 321

Book Title: The Hanged Man's Song

Author: John Sandford

Summary: A hacker friend of Kidd's has turned up dead and his laptop is missing. There is information about Kidd and LuEllen on that laptop that threatens their lives. They must find his murderer and recover the laptop.

Book Number: 15

Number Of Pages: 387

Book Title: The Body Farm

Author: Patricia Cornwell

Summary: .Dr. Scarpetta is at it again. This time she is in North Carolina investigating the kidnapping and murder of a little girl last seen walking home alone. The details of the crime scene resemble that of a serial murderer that has slipped through Dr. Scarpetta's fingers. There is more to this mystery than meets the eyes.

Edited by QAndais

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages: 197

Book Title: The Art of War

Author: Sun Tzu

Summary: The writings of the ancient Chinese warrior poet, detailing his ideas on the ideal strategy of warfare.

Book Number: 5

Number Of Pages: 126

Book Title: English Fairytales

Author: Joseph Jacobs

Summary: A collection of English nursery stories passed down for centuries.

Book Number: 6

Number Of Pages: 242

Book Title: Fairy Tales from Brazil: How and Why Tales from Brazillian Folk-Lore

Author: Elsie Spicer Ells

Summary: A large collection of stories from the rich Brazillian culture on how certain parts of the world are they way they are.

Book Number: 7

Number Of Pages: 176

Book Title: Beowulf

Author: Burton Raffel

Summary: The story of the warrior Beowulf and his battles with monsters.

Book Number: 8

Number Of Pages: 150

Book Title: Stories of King Arthur and His Knights

Author: U. Waldo Cutler

Summary: Legends of the famous king of Camelot and his noble nights, from King Arthur's birth to Lancelot's foolishness.

Book Number: 9

Number Of Pages: 240

Book Title: Peter Pan

Author: J. M. Barry

Summary: The adventures of the boy who wished never to grow up, includes pirates, Indians, and wild animals, as well as a mischievous fairy.

Book Number: 5

Number Of Pages: 391

Book Title: Catching Fire

Author: Suzanne Collins

Summary: In the second book of The Hunger Games trilogy, Katniss must try to protect her friends and family after her actions in the last Games put them in danger. (Gahh, it's hard to summarize this book without too many spoilers. >_<)

Book Number: 6

Number Of Pages: 390

Book Title: Mockingjay

Author: Suzanne Collins

Summary: 3rd book in the Hunger Games trilogy; Katniss becomes a symbol to the rebels in the war against the Capitol.

Also, I have a question about re-reads. Does re-reading a book you read before starting the challenge count as one or is that just for books you read twice during the challenge?

Number Of Pages: 624

Book Title: Jane Eyre

Author: Charlotte Bronte

Summary: The life story of a strong-willed girl as she grows up as an orphan and works as a governess at Mr. Rochester's manor, towards whom she soon develops mutual feelings, but there are obstacles due to which she feels forced to leave him without any prospects. Nonetheless, Jane manages to survive and prosper.

Book Number: 10

Number Of Pages: 298

Book Title: Uncommon Criminals

Author: Ally Carter

Summary: Katarina Bishop. Fifteen years-old, world class thief. Now, she and her crew have to pull of the impossible: they have to steal the Cleopatra Emerald. There's just two problems. The emerald is said to be cursed. And what happens when one of the sacred names is used in the wrong way? Time to see if Kat can land on her feet...

Number Of Pages: 126

Book Title: Deltora #1: The Forest of Silence

Author: Emily Rodda

Summary: Lief starts a journey to return the seven stones to free Deltora from the evil Shadow Lord.

Book Number: 64

Number Of Pages: 336

Book Title: Mutant Empire: Siege

Author: Christopher Golden

Summary: Magneto's Acolytes break into a secret government facility to hijack an arsenal of deadly Sentinel robots, and it's up to the X-Men to stop them. Meanwhile, half of the team must travel into deep space to save Cyclops' father Corsair from an unjust execution.

Book Number: 65

Number Of Pages: 345

Book Title: Mutant Empire: Sanctuary

Summary: Half of the X-Men are stranded in space in a damaged spacecraft, while their teammates struggle to retake Manhattan, which Magneto and his followers have taken hostage.

Book Number: 66

Number Of Pages: 276

Book Title: Mutant Empire: Salvation

Summary: With the team reunited once more, the X-Men must free Manhattan by disabling Magneto's army of Sentinel robots--not to mention defeating Magneto himself.

Book Number: 35

Number Of Pages: 628

Book Title: Septimus Heap: Syren

Author: Angie Sage

Summary: Sep, Jenna, Marcia, and Bettle are coming back to the Castle.

Flume is trying to take over the castle with the warrior jinn. Sep finds a way to stop it. tongue.gif

Edited by evangeline5432

Number Of Pages: 368

Book Title: Paranormalcy

Author: Kiersten White

Summary: Evie is a 16 year old girl who works and lives at the International Paranormal Containment Agency. Her job is to find paranormal creatures (vampires, werewolves...). She has a unique ability: she can see through glamours. The arrival of a shape-shifting young boy changes her life.

Book Number: 67

Number Of Pages: 464

Book Title: Erec Rex: The Search for Truth

Author: Kaza Kingsley

Summary: Erec's two dragon eyes are getting rather out of control, and as if that wasn't enough of a problem, the Stain triplets are trying to sabotage his quests again. Erec's third and fourth quests sound impossible, but they're necessary if Erec is going to save Upper Earth from deteriorating into a lifeless dead zone.

Book Number: 11

Number Of Pages: 306

Book Title: Marked (Re-read?*)

Author: P.C. Cast & Kirstin Cast

Summary: The first book in the House of Night series, Zoey's marked and given a gift by the Goddess that's never before been heard of in vampyre history: an affinity for all five elements. Will she have the courage and wisdom necessary to deal with Aphrodite, the selfish leader of the Dark Daughters?

Review: It's House of Night. Is there anything else that needs to be said? Go out and get it! ;p

~-----~

*Okay, are re-reads classified as books that you're on your personal second or more read, or that you're putting it up another time in the challenge?

Book Number: 21

Number Of Pages: 737

Book Title: The Well of Ascension (Mistborn 2)

Author: Brandon Sanderson

Summary: The Lord Ruler has been overthrown a year ago. But now Luthadel is besieged not only one but by three armies. But even more worrying, the mists have begun behaving strangely.

Book Number: 22

Number Of Pages: 318

Book Title: The Searets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel: The Necromancer

Author: Michael Scott

Summary: The twins return home to San Francisco but they won't last long there. They encounter a new ally and Josh has to learn the secrets of the fire. Meanwhile, having been unable to regain the two final pages of the Codex, Dee has failed his Elder and is now an outlaw - and the new prey of all the creatures formerly sent to hunt down Flamel.

Rating: 3/5

Book Number: 23

Number Of Pages: 722

Book Title: Great Britain (Eyewitness travel series)

Author: Michael Leapman

Summary: A very interesting travel guide to Great Britain full of many illustrations and detailed information about the various places a tourist could visit. I'm planning a trip there for the holidays so it was very helpful smile.gif

Number Of Pages: 198

Book Title: The Scarlet Letter

Author: Nathaniel Hawthorne

Summary: In the puritan 17th-century Boston, Hester Prynne is condemned to wear a scarlet "A" badge on her breast to mark her as an adulteress after she gives birth to an illegitimate daughter. She refuses to reveal the name of the girl's father, but Hester's believed-to-be-dead husband, working as a physician under a false name, sets out to reveal the truth by his own means.

*Okay, are re-reads classified as books that you're on your personal second or more read, or that you're putting it up another time in the challenge?

I would guess if you've read it before at all, whether or not it was for the challenge, then it counts as a re-read. That's what a re-read means to me, at least.

Book Number: 68

Number Of Pages: 360

Book Title: Linger

Author: Maggie Stiefvater

Summary: Sam may have been cured of his temperature-sensitive lycanthropy, but Grace is getting strangely sick and nobody knows what it is or how to help her. Adding to the couple's problems are Cole, unpredictable new werewolf, and Grace's suddenly overprotective parents.

Book Number: 69

Number Of Pages: 435

Book Title: The Emperor of Nihon-Ja

Author: John Flanagan

Summary: The final installment in the Ranger's Apprentice series. While on a diplomatic mission to Nihon-Ja, Horace is drawn into a civil war, and Will, Halt, and their companions must go to his aid and defend the rightful ruler of Nihon-Ja.

^Thanks. That's what I was thinking, but I just wanted to check. I'm reading them to my brother right now, so that's why it's even up there.

Book Number: 12

Number Of Pages: 325

Book Title: Red Glove

Author: Holly Black

Summary: Curses and Cons. Magic and the Mob. In Cassel Sharpe's world, they go together. He use to believe he was just your average kid; but his memories were being manipulated. He's a transformation worker, one of the most powerful workers around. When the Feds come knocking on his door, he's got to make a choice: Turn his back on the only life he knows, or risk being thrown in Federal Prison for even existing?

Review: Great plot twists and very good pacing. As for the end... ouch. That one had to hurt for Cassel.

Book Number: 19

Number Of Pages: 448

Book Title: The Great Tree of Avalon

Author: T.A. Barron

Summary: Tamwyn has been looking for his lost brother, Scree, for seven years. On his quest he discovers that he could be the Dark Child from the prophecy the Lady of the Lake foretold.

Book Number: 20

Number Of Pages: 352

Book Title: Merlin: The Lost Years

Author: T.A. Barron

Summary: Having no memory of his past, Emrys sets out on a quest to find out where is came from. On his way, he meets a girl named Rhia and helps her save her home from the Blight.

Book Number: 16

Number Of Pages: 852

Book Title: A Feast for Crows

Author: George R. R. Martin

Summary: Cersei attempts to rule the land, but with limited success. The ironborn are stirring, ready to conquer new areas, and the scheming continues.

Number Of Pages: 225

Book Title: Magic Under Glass

Author: Jaclyn Dolamore

Summary: Nimira, a young Trouser Girl, agrees to work for the sorcerer Hollin Parry as a singer. She's warned that the piano-playing automaton she's suppose to work with is haunted, but the true depth of magic is yet to be revealed...