Fortune86

The Power Inside

Bastian mostly ignored Diana the rest of the way, he had lost his mood to talk to her now. As they walked he started to think which he found more annoying, Imari or Diana. He didn’t get a chance to decide seeing that they had reached Khaine. The young summoner seemed distant and lost in though. In the whole group he was the one that didn’t completely understand what went on. Hopefully the others had informed him by now he thought to himself.

“Here.” He gave the young summoner two of Roo’ing fruit. “Eat them but mind the seeds. They are bitter.”

Diana smiled at Khaine. "Hey," she greeted him, before flouncing past. He was a bit dreamy, Khaine was. She went up the stairs to reach the others. "I got food~"

As he only had a canteen to fill Arthur decided to make the trek back down to the water by himself. He left Sera and Angelina where they were, passed Bastain, Diana and Khaine and walked back down the stairs into the near darkness.

Arthur moved as silently as a ghost, using what little light there was to guide the way. When he was halfway down the stairs he stopped and listened. There was the very faintest of scraping further down. Some part of the building shifting in the wind or falling apart? A monster? Something worse?

Raising his hand never his chest as a precaution, Arthur moved further on to investigate.

~~~

Under the watchful care of thelight Fiend Aiedail, Noland opened his eyes. His face was grey and sunken. He tried to speak, but when he opened his mouth no sound came out.

Edited by Fortune86

Diana's blue eyes fell on Noland, who seemed to have woken up. In one word, he looked terrible. The poor, sweet, man. Crouching down, she placed the fruits in a pile for anyone to take. She hesitatingly waved at him, actually a little afraid to get closer. It seemed he could not speak...?

Bastian laid down the rest of the Roo’ings where Diana had placed them. Keeping two of them he made his way up to the roof. At first he couldn’t find Imari until he walked around seeing her sitting there and keeping an eye out. He quickly took in a seat next to her passing one of the fruits to her.

Imari got a little fright when she felt something sitting next to her but when she saw it was Bastian she turned her attention back to the world. When she saw him passing a Roo’ing she was slightly relieved for something to eat.

“Thanks.”

“Seen anything?” Bastian spoke as he took a bite into the purple fruit. It was soft and squishy, busting with a sweet flavour.

“Something moved in the forest but I can’t make it out from up here. There been a lot of the military people flying around. They are cause to much noise.” Imari answered. She turned around and rested against the wall taking a bit of the fruit.

Bastian only nodded leaving them to sit in silence eating there fruit.

Diana smiled at Khaine. "Hey," she greeted him, before flouncing past. He was a bit dreamy, Khaine was. She went up the stairs to reach the others. "I got food~"

Khaine raised his hand slightly, in acknowledgement of Diana's return, but nonetheless said nothing. He was tired, hungry, cold and completely bored, but he didn't feel like being in the same area as the people who caused this mess. Besides he had to keep watch here.

Imari finished her fruit and was ready to wipe her face clean with her sleeve when Bastian held out a piece of cloth to her. Looking at him strangely she took it and cleaned herself.

“You’re rather nice to me of late. Even when we flew over here on Seth’s back. What’s going on?” she asked giving him back the cloth.

“Nothing.” He spoke taking the cloth and cleaning himself with it.

“Bastian.” Her voice a little bit more forceful.

“Fine. It’s just… what if something like that happened to you?” He spoke looking up at the sky.

“You mean like Kaz’s brother?”

“Yeah. I mean as much as I hate your guts and you annoy the hell out of me it…” Bastian fell silent looking away, he didn’t want Imari to see his expression. “It would kill me if you die. I mean who else is going to annoy me.” He spoke half jokingly.

Imari just gave a little smile before she embraced her cousin in a hug. She felt the same way. Letting go of her cousin she gave him a small punch on his arm.

“See I knew you loved me.”

“Don’t let it go to your head.” Were his final words before both of them turned around to keep watch.

Noland tried to speak again when he saw Diana wave at him, but he couldn't manage it. His chest felt heavy and tight, like something was sitting on it. He slowly rose a hand to his ribcage and wondered how long he had been asleep. He shouldn't really have challenged Zacht like he did, but what choice did he have?

He tried to turn his head to look around. Where was Ceil?

Diana could see that he was trying to speak. So he was aware of what was happening around him. Getting up, she came forward, and then crouched next to him again. "Can't you speak?" she asked gently, tilting her head. This seemed rather strange. Perhaps it was the grief of- well, she didn't want to think about that.

Noland tried to speak again when he saw Diana wave at him, but he couldn't manage it. His chest felt heavy and tight, like something was sitting on it. He slowly rose a hand to his ribcage and wondered how long he had been asleep. He shouldn't really have challenged Zacht like he did, but what choice did he have?

He tried to turn his head to look around. Where was Ceil?

As soon as Noland started to stir, Aiedail's head darted up off the ground and she looks at the old man who was laying against her. The wolf looked at her summoner.

Angelina heard Aiedail's mental voice in here head telling her that the old teacher was awake. The young woman hurried over to his side and knelt. Aiedail could hear his heart and Angelina immediately became worried.

"Diana, get Ceil now, please. He's sleeping in the room through that door." she said gently as Noland started looking around. Angelina pointed to the doorway in question, then she glanced at the fire summoner.

"Seraphina, could I borrow a peice of paper and a writing utensil?" her tone remained calm but her expression said something completely different. She glanced at from Arthur, to Bastian, to Imari, and finally her gaze rested on Khaine.

"Khaine, do you think you could take Diana upstairs with you and see if Imari and Bastian need help?" she asked as Sera reluctantly handed over a sheet of paper and a chalk-like pencil. These two seemed the most capable of keeping Diana best under tabs, and if Noland continued to fade while Diana was there, things would not end very well.

Edited by evangeline5432

Diana stared at Angelina for a couple of moments, eyes moving back to Noland and then to her again. They narrowed, slits of blue and black. "Why are you sending me away? Why me?" she argued. She wanted her away from Noland and to get Ceil. Cell was close to Noland. Surely not... No... Her face paled, eyes relaxing. "He's gonna be okay, isn't he?"

Edited by Chicogal

Angelina had thought she had waited until Diana had left the room before she had spoken, but clearly the girl had not listened and stayed.

"If we can get some peace and quiet, yes." she said, suggesting very lightly Diana really should not keep questioning her.

"He's been through a lot and the worst thing right now would be for soldiers to show up. I thought you'd prefer to help protect him." she said softly,

"Now, can you please go fetch Ceil." the woman told her fellow student patiently.

((Autocorrect should die. ))

Edited by evangeline5432

Diana looked like she wanted to say something more, but she refrained. Standing up, she walked into the room in which Ceil was sleeping. Huh. He looked quite peaceful like that. Going to him, she hesitated for a moment before prodding him in the arm. "Ceil?"

((Vang you do know that Bastian and Imari is on the roof right?))

((Vang you do know that Bastian and Imari is on the roof right?))

((Nope. dry.gif Edited.))

Ceil's eyes shot open when Diana prodded him in the arm and called his name. His first thoughts were of a monster attack, but she wouldn't be so quiet and anxious if that was the case. He sat up and stared at her.

"What is it?" he asked.

A part of him was already guessing why she was here, but he didn't want to listen to it. He wasn't ready.

Diana crouched down, putting her elbows on her knees and resting each arm across from the other. She stared back at him for a couple of moments as well, sort of lost for words for once. "It's... It's Noland. Angelina wants you to go through there and see him," she said quietly, inclining her head toward the room. Although she hadn't actually said anything about his condition, her expression said it all.

Ceil instantly got to his feet and raced out of the room. He hurried across the corridor and burst into the large space where Noland was waiting. The older man tried to smile as the younger approached, but ending up wincing in pain instead.

Ceil knealt down beside him and took his hand.

"What's wrong? Angelina what's wrong with him. Why is he hurting?"

Diana rubbed at her eyes, rising and turning around. Ceil certainly would not be calm about this sort of thing. She paused in the doorway, watching with panic. She wanted to hear what was wrong, too. Was Noland really going to die? She gulped.

Edited by Chicogal

Upon recieving a look from Angelina, Sera gently pulled Diana after her and they left the room.

"He'll be ok. Angelina probably doesn't want us to worry. Healers usually don't like a bunch of people crowding them as they work." Sera said with uncertainty. "Come on, lets go find Imari and Bastian." she said, climbing up the stairs.

--

For the first time in a while, Angelina cursed and looked rather frantic. Ceil had entered the room and she quickly recomposed her cool demeanor. Ceil rushed to the old man's side and the young woman had to place a hand on his arm.

"Please calm down. Aiedail, can you please try to heal and see if it helps?"

The fiend nodded and nuzzled the man propped up against her very gently. The soft white light absorbed him, and then it faded away. Angelina took out a couple instruments and started to examin him. She paused and glanced back at Ceil before scrambling to her bag.

"He doesn't have much time. He needs proper care or hell die. I can try to save him, but it will only be temporary. Meanwhile," she heard out the paper and pencil to Ceil, "find out what he needs...and if worse comes to worse, prepare goodbyes." she said the last part so that only Noland and Ceil could hear.

"I'm sorry." she said as she started to mix a few herbs together that she could give to Noland to help prolong his life if not for a few minutes.

Diana halted for a moment, staring at Noland with forlorn, pleading, eyes, then let herself be dragged out. Her eyes went to the floor, and she crossed her arms over her chest. Turning to the stairs, her eyebrows came together in a frown as she forced herself not to cry. She knew that Noland was going to die, whatever the others said. "Do we have to go and see them?" she complained softly. "I don't really like either of them..." In her current state, she probably would not hold back from yelling and ranting at them if they started up any of their usual rubbish.

Edited by Chicogal

Ceil took the pencil and paper from Angelina and settled back down beside Noland. He tried to give the pencil to the old man, but try as he might, Noland could not close his fingers around the implement. In the end he knocked it aside and reached out to place his hand on Ceil's chest, right over his heart.

There wasn't any real need for words, spoken or written. Ceil looked down into the tired eyes of his friend, college and former mentor and understood. The gesture was an echo of one Ephron had done so many times. Forget the laws of men and the words of gods. Do what felt right inside.

Ceil reached up and placed his scarred hand over Noland's wrinkled one and watched the older man try to smile. For a moment they just looked at one another, and then with his heart feeling heavy, Ceil nodded.

"Angelina. You can stop. He's ready."

((I'm really really sorry guys!! It's been hectic.))

Angelina nodded solemnly and stopped working. She put what she had created back in the bag knowing that she might need it later. She had known Noland was dying, and somehow it really didn't surprise her that he was ready. The young woman looked sadly at the man.

"Alright. I can make something to help with pain instead." she told him softly.

"Sir, I know you mean a lot to Diana. She would probably wish to see you . . ."

-

Sera chuckled at Diana's comment hiding any annoyance she felt, "Yes, come on. If they start, I'll stop it." she beckoned for the other girl to hurry.

They reached the top of the roof and Sera walked over toward the two that were already there.

"Anything?" she asked looking into the horizon.

Diana hung her head, grumbling. But she followed after her anyway. Fear was gripping wildly at her chest about Noland. She went to the edge of the building, knowing not to look down. She just stared out, hoping desperately he would be alright.

Imari turned around when she heard footsteps and saw it was Sera and Diana joining them on the roof. The girl just turned around and continued to watch. Bastian on the other hand kept looking at both of them wondering why they were here.

“There are still searching for us but…” Bastian turned around looking down at the forest below.

“But there is something in the forest heading our way.” Imari finished still looking at the spot where she last saw the movement of the mystery creature. The girl sighed inwardly trying to hide her emotions. The fact that she stayed up there the whole time was because she didn’t want to see their headmaster in his present condition.

“How is he?” She finally asked still not looking at the Sera and Diana.

Bastian only stared at his cousin knowing that she is fighting with in herself not to have any emotional out burst. It wasn’t long ago when a fellow classmate died, then Rosa and most likely Noland now. Even thou she acted tough she was a caring inside.