Fortune86

The Power Inside

Diana wasn't shushed into quietness or meekness by Bastian being rude. She was used to Ceil. He was nothing. "And rudeness doesn't put me off either, so don't try that," she said, tone completely neutral. If she wanted to make a chats, she had to not have herself shaken or ruffled by other people's words. They were simply words, nothing more, nothing less. "So, sixteen, huh? Same as me. But you act older than you are, all grumpy and stuff... You're gonna go grey early!"

"I was raised that way." Bastian spoke looking on the ground then out of a window. He noticed Arthur and Sera's tracks going towards one direction but if memory served right they should go the opposite direction for the fruit. Bastian moved away from their track and headed down anothe corridor which would lead them to a different exit.

"Be careful here." He poi ted out to the floor. "It feels a bit unstable."

There was a momentary pause. "Wait a moment - Imari is your cousin, yeah? So it makes sense then," Diana chuckled. It wasn't clear whether this was a good thing or a bad thing. She nodded at his mention about the floor, rising up on her tiptoes and skirting toward the walls more, making sure to follow the same path as him in general. "Well, at least you're in front so I won't fall down first," she commented with a soft snicker.

The floor sqeaked as the two of them passed t he beat down part of the floor, luckily Bastian is very light on his feet but he didn't think Diana was much. He basically ignored her last words as he continued to walk down the abandoned corridor.

"If something makes sense and its between me and Imari then your way off." He skope finally reaching a different staircase. Ba stian touched the railing of the staircase feeling that is very wobbly.

"Stay away from the railing. Its rotten."

Diana blinked. "Do you two not get along? She seemed very affectionate of you," she commented. Then again, she didn't get along with Imari herself so maybe this guy didn't either. Yet perhaps they were simply too similar. "Maybe you two are too much alike then, Hm? And alright, I'll make sure not to touch it." She nodded.

Angelina glanced over Noland and Aiedail who was laying next to the man. She nodded hoping the older man would be okay. He was fine physically--for a man his age--but physiologically was a different story. She nodded, "Of course. And if you need me, just call." she told him as he left the room.

"Khaine?" she called out softly.

-

"I see. Fun times." she said rather blandly, "but exactly what is this place? Why is this place not colonized?" she asked Arthur keeping close to his heel. As he warned her, she stumbled as a few rotten boards cracked under her weight. She caught herself and quickly skirted her way around the huge hole. Once they had gotten safely to the other side, Sera paused and shook her foot. It was fine so she continued to follow Arthur.

"Arthur . . ." she paused, unsure if she should touch a matter that had been bugging her, "Lord Jyeh . . . would he be the one behind this? What would he do if he happened to catch us?"

Bastian frowned at Diana’s questions he didn’t really like to be asked such family related things. Not by someone he didn’t even know or trust for that matter. Looking down as he walked they came to a little gap in the floor. Jumping over it he turned around and held out his hand offering assistance to Diana. To him she seemed not as tough build as the other girls he saw and she also looked a bit lumpy to him.

“The relationship between me and my cousin is our own business.” He spoke having a dull expression on his face as he looked at Diana.

"I see. Fun times." she said rather blandly, "but exactly what is this place? Why is this place not colonized?" she asked Arthur keeping close to his heel. As he warned her, she stumbled as a few rotten boards cracked under her weight. She caught herself and quickly skirted her way around the huge hole. Once they had gotten safely to the other side, Sera paused and shook her foot. It was fine so she continued to follow Arthur.

"Arthur . . ." she paused, unsure if she should touch a matter that had been bugging her, "Lord Jyeh . . . would he be the one behind this? What would he do if he happened to catch us?"

"There was a small settlement here a few years ago" said Arthur as he turned a corner in the stairs. "They were studying the ruins, learning about the old world. Then a Titan we call the Soldier arrived and wiped them all out. It can't swim or fly so it is stuck on the island, but it attacks everything it sees, even the monsters. It also has very good hearing, which is why it is so important to stay as quiet as possible."

He stopped and stared back up at Sera when she asked about Jyeh, his face eerily illuminated by the algae. His face was hard to read at the best of times, but the shadows made it impossible.

"My uncle has a great many spies. It is impossible to imagine that he does not know about this operation going on under his own city. If he knows about it, he'll be in charge of it. As for what would happen to us should we be captured, I can only assume that we would either be killed, or have our crystals taken from us."

He turned away and began to walk back down the stairs. After another cuple of floors he turned into a doorway. The floor was white and slippery, but there were several plants growing up the southern wall, fueled by the sunlight shining through a broken window and a small waterfall dripping through a hole in the ceiling.

"The floor is very unsteady in here" Arthur warned over his shoulder. "Watch your every step."

((Lumpy? Never have I ever called her that. Considering the amount of food they eat compared to the exercise they do, all would probably be far from it. Not muscular or strong, but not... lumpy.))

Diana ignored the hand offered to her. Really, did he think her do weak she couldn't jump across a small gap that he could? Psht. She jumped huge things with Rain. With a roll of her eyes, she backed up a step and then jumped over it. Her balance was quite good from the years of riding - and of course she had learned to do things such as standing on her Fiend's back while she was moving, and hanging off the side of her. "If you say so."

((Bastain: Whatever

Spirit: *wackes with plank* Be nice!))

Bastian just turned around after Diana declined his offer for helping her. He could force her anyway, if she wanted to do things her way he couldn't care less then.

They were getting close to the surface now which made Bastian act a little more strict. This island was abandoned for a reason and may the gods have mercy on them when they leave the safety of the building.

"Listen when we get outside I need you to stay quiet. If you want to say something whisper it in my ear. You got that?" He spoke in a low voice.

"There was a small settlement here a few years ago" said Arthur as he turned a corner in the stairs. "They were studying the ruins, learning about the old world. Then a Titan we call the Soldier arrived and wiped them all out. It can't swim or fly so it is stuck on the island, but it attacks everything it sees, even the monsters. It also has very good hearing, which is why it is so important to stay as quiet as possible."

He stopped and stared back up at Sera when she asked about Jyeh, his face eerily illuminated by the algae. His face was hard to read at the best of times, but the shadows made it impossible.

"My uncle has a great many spies. It is impossible to imagine that he does not know about this operation going on under his own city. If he knows about it, he'll be in charge of it. As for what would happen to us should we be captured, I can only assume that we would either be killed, or have our crystals taken from us."

He turned away and began to walk back down the stairs. After another cuple of floors he turned into a doorway. The floor was white and slippery, but there were several plants growing up the southern wall, fueled by the sunlight shining through a broken window and a small waterfall dripping through a hole in the ceiling.

"The floor is very unsteady in here" Arthur warned over his shoulder. "Watch your every step."

"I thought the solider was a myth. I suppose I should know better." she looked down and watched her step. The boards were slighty wet and slimy, she was trying to be careful.

Arthur stopped, surprising her. She quickly stopped, nearly crashing into him. She took a careful step back. Her eyes searched his face for anything that would tell her what he was thinking. But, as she expected, there was nothing to read and the shadows made it harder. She had learned a long time ago that it was easier to read him by his tone of voice. After spending a short time around him, she had learned quickly that there were very small minute differences that could be discerned with slight difficulty.

His answer didn't surprise her, nor did his response in mention of their uncaring ruler.

"Sorry, I should know better then to bring him up." she said, as he turned away. She fell silent for the remaining time as they walked. She was more careful then before as she followed the boy.

((*pokes Drow*))

Edited by evangeline5432

Diana nodded, understanding. "Alright," she murmured back. Yeah, she was feeling a small tinge of nervousness. But not much of it. They had Fiends for a reason, right? Thinking of that... "Should I summon my Fiend or will she draw too much attention?" she asked in a whisper, leaning forward slightly.

Angelina glanced over Noland and Aiedail who was laying next to the man. She nodded hoping the older man would be okay. He was fine physically--for a man his age--but physiologically was a different story. She nodded, "Of course. And if you need me, just call." she told him as he left the room.

"Khaine?" she called out softly.

Khaine raised his head up as he heard someone call, turning his head he noticed Angelina. "Yes..?" he replied. He was beginning to fall asleep, the silent tranquility for the last few minutes causing his eye lids to feel heavy.

Apart from some distant sounds in the forest, there had been nothing to cause worry for Khaine.

Arthur moved closer to the broken window and looked outside. They were only three floors off the ground here, but it still gave a decent view of the overgrown street outside. Not like he was expecting to see anything but plants though, any monster that couldn't fly had been killed years ago. Now only the Soldier stalked the streets.

He waited for a few minutes to see if anything moved beside the flowers in the wind and then turned back to the task at hand. The wter trickled slowly from the gap in the ceiling, but Arthur knew it was the best they were going to get unless they wanted to venture out of the ruins and into the forrest beyond. He gently snapped some leaves off the nearby plants and began to roll them into small cup shapes, pinning them into place with their own stems.

"Here" he said passing the first two to Sera. "Collect the water in these. We'll return when we have enough."

Angelina's eyes searched through the gloomy building as she looked for the owner of the voice. A few moments later, she caught sight of Khaine as he moved.

"Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to wake you. I was trying to figure out where you'd gone. Have you explored the building any?

--

Sera was surprisingly quiet as she kept up with Arthur. If her brother had been there, he'd have wondered who Sera was and what she had done with the real Sera. She peeked out the window along with Arthur. While staring at the empty desolate streets, the girl frowned.

"How long has this creature reined over this forgotten city?"

The young student turned and watched as the ex-investigator tore a few leaves off the tear. Her left eyebrow arched and she blinked, but quickly understood as he rolled them up. Sera accepted the leaves and walked over to the drizzle of water. She held up one and carefully started to gather the water. At first, it was more trial and error but she quickly got the knack of it. A bit later, both were finally full. She drew back, careful not to spill.

"Arthur, is it possible to survive here?"

“No.” Bastian spoke softly. “We don’t need the extra weight.”

He didn’t mean to sound insulting but to have an extra body around would slow them down. Plus he wasn’t sure how disciplined they were, they don’t need any trouble now. Reaching the first floor Bastian looked around and noticed a wall with a rather big hole in it. He stepped forward and peeked out his head out, listening and looking for any danger. Motioning with his hand he “asked” Diana to come closer so that he could explain what they will be doing.

"It's okay.." he replied, rubbing his right eye. "I haven't..Ceil told me to keep watch here incase anything odd happened.." he stated, answering her question. "Apart from the noises upstairs and Kaz flying off... nothing much has happened.." he paused for awhile and looked out through the hole in the wall.

"What exactly happened at the school..?" he asked finally.

"It appeared at the same time as the King and the Serpent" said Arthur carefully rolling up another leaf. "About three years ago. Nobody knows where they came from. They just appeared."

While Sera filled the first two 'cups' with water he worked on making a few more. When she returned with the water she had collected he handed her another two. When Sera asked if it was possible to survive in the city he shook his head.

"Not for long. A few days is the longest anyone has managed, but never a group as large as this. I suspect Ceil will stay until everyone is rested and then try to move on."

Diana almost pouted and remarked about Rain not being that heavy (well, she actually was, but whatever.) Then she realised there was no use in squabbling, and tiptoed to him. She leaned in close, dipping her head slightly. "Yeah?" she whispered.

"It appeared at the same time as the King and the Serpent" said Arthur carefully rolling up another leaf. "About three years ago. Nobody knows where they came from. They just appeared."

While Sera filled the first two 'cups' with water he worked on making a few more. When she returned with the water she had collected he handed her another two. When Sera asked if it was possible to survive in the city he shook his head.

"Not for long. A few days is the longest anyone has managed, but never a group as large as this. I suspect Ceil will stay until everyone is rested and then try to move on."

Seraphina accepted the new cups as she place the others down. She walked back over to the trickle and held another cup under the drizzle.

"No wonder they[the army] didn't follow..."

Silense fell once again and Sera listened to the noises around her and found herself getting on edge. Sera looked around rather nervously, then she scolded herself. She was being silly. The girl shook her head and glanced back at the makeshift cup. It was nearly full, so she withdrew it and placed another underneath. When that one was filled, she turned to face Arthur.

"Here." she said, offering an exchange.

"We shoulda seen if the others had a canteen or something. I don't know if we'll get back without spilling too much."

--

Angelina nodded and started to turn back to Nolan's as Khaime fell silent. Them he spoke up, his question causing her expression to show sorrow.

"Zacht. He's a free-lance summoner. For sale to the highest bidder. Jayson...eh..my father mentioned him a couple times, I don't really know much about him. He's almost as good as Ceil, but most certainly not in the same league. He well known for his lion fiend...and getting the job done no matter what. It looks like Jyeh sent him after Arthur and Bastian. The two came to the school because they needed help, and Zacht followed. Noland stood up against him...and..." She paused,

"Rosa accidentally got in the way. Ceil came and scared Zacht off, but Rosa was already gone." she said evenly. Only the grief etched on her face gave her feelings away as she spoke softly.

“You see over there?” Bastian whispered pointing to the purple oval shaped objects in the distance. “They are Roo’ings. If we can get a couple of them to everyone then we should be sorted. They are quite filling.”

Bastian’s gaze flowed from left and right once again making sure nothing was sitting and watching them. The area was rather open while they were surrounded with thick forest. This kind of made him worry for he might not be able to see or hear something but whatever is behind those bushes might see or hear them.

“Right I’m going out first. When I give you the signal you can follow. Be as quite as you can, I don’t want your death on my hands.”

Arthur worked with Sera until they had filled as many cups of water as they could safely carry. As they were getting ready to leave Arthur glanced out the broken window. The skies looked dark and clouds were building up. It was going to rain soon.

"We should return to the others" he said gathering his share of the cups up.

He rose to his feet and was about to move towards the door and the staircase beyond when movement outside caught his eye. He instinctively froze so as not to draw attention to himself. The movement had come from a building opposite them and Arthur had to stare hard before he could see it clearly. A small monster, no larger than Hima, was picking its way across the debris scattered across the floor, probably looking for food to scavenge.

"Don't move" he whispered to Sera as he watched the monster give up and clamber out of a hole in the wall, giving it a better view of the two teenagers. The monster, with quilled wings and an squashed beak, was looking around at it surroundings. It did not appear to notice Sera and Arthur though and spread its green tinted wings to take to the sky.

Arthur didn't relax until the monster was well out of sight. If it had seen them it may have attacked, leaving them no choice but to defend themselves, then the sound of battle may have drawn much stronger and unwanted attention.

Diana peered across over his shoulder at the purple fruit. Huh. What a funny name. Roo'ings. Not something she had ever eaten before, but maybe she was just unexperienced in the world of fruit. "Then you don't die either, okay?" she whispered back to him, smiling slightly despite herself.

Angelina nodded and started to turn back to Nolan's as Khaime fell silent. Them he spoke up, his question causing her expression to show sorrow.

"Zacht. He's a free-lance summoner. For sale to the highest bidder. Jayson...eh..my father mentioned him a couple times, I don't really know much about him. He's almost as good as Ceil, but most certainly not in the same league. He well known for his lion fiend...and getting the job done no matter what. It looks like Jyeh sent him after Arthur and Bastian. The two came to the school because they needed help, and Zacht followed. Noland stood up against him...and..." She paused,

"Rosa accidentally got in the way. Ceil came and scared Zacht off, but Rosa was already gone." she said evenly. Only the grief etched on her face gave her feelings away as she spoke softly.

"I see.." replied Khaine, sinking his head back down onto his arms. "So it's, those two mens fault that our school ended up that way.." he spoke silently to himself.

"You can tell Ceil that there's nothing out of the ordinary down here.." he said suddenly, changing his tone. "I'm sure he would like an update..."

Bastian glanced at Diana when she spoke, he gave a little reassuring smile that he won’t try and die today. Turning around he looked out once again making sure the area was clear. Slowly Bastian stepped out of the building moving alongside the concrete walls. He wasn’t just gonna stroll out in the open, something might see him.

Still making his way against the wall he finally reached a thicker part of the forest where he could easily hide between the leaves. He turned to look at Diana to see if she was ok but he froze in his spot. His eyes widened as some sort of monster landed in the middle of the open clearing. Bastian pushed himself slowly into the bushes making sure the monster wouldn’t hear him. He hoped that Diana would be smart enough to hide somewhere, they group need to rest, and they can’t fight monsters now.