Fortune86

The Power Inside

Diana's breath caught in her throat as a monster quite suddenly landed in the clearing. Her thoughts immediately went to Bastian, but he already was disappearing into the foliage. Trying not to breathe loudly, she slowly took one step back and then another. She wasn't going to fight unless he told her to. And she most certainly was not going to die from something like that. Right?

The winged monster paced around the open clearing looking for food. When it was unsatisfied it turned to the building, heading towards the hole that Bastian came out of.

No his lips moved but no sound followed it. He was praying to the gods that they will have mercy on them while his hand was on his chest ready to summon Areo. The monsters head was halfway in when a thud sound could be heard in the distance. Bastian’s head quickly turned to where it came from but he couldn’t have see what made it.

The monster quickly turned around to go and investigate. It searched and searched until it came to a halt by the Roo’ings. It was at that time when a similar thud sound echoed through the area. Giving a sigh of relieve Bastian saw it was just a ripe Roo’ing that fell to the ground. The monster sniffed the purple fruit but one could easily see it wasn’t impressed by it. It wanted blood not some soft fruit. It gave a little squeak and took to the skies again.

Relieved that the monster left Bastian felt that he could breathe again but he didn’t move from his spot. He waited a couple more minutes, listening to the sounds of the forest. When he was satisfied that it was “safe” again he continued to make is way to the fruit along the forest.

Edited by DragonSpirit009

"I see.." replied Khaine, sinking his head back down onto his arms. "So it's, those two mens fault that our school ended up that way.." he spoke silently to himself.

"You can tell Ceil that there's nothing out of the ordinary down here.." he said suddenly, changing his tone. "I'm sure he would like an update..."

"Yes, I suppose if we were to shift blame, it would be their faults. However, that doesn't mean we should blame them verbally. I'm sure they know perfectly why Rosa is gone." Angelina sighed sadly, "Rosa's death is sad, but let us not make it worthless." she met Khaine's gaze for a few seconds as if to get her point across. Then she glanced to the room in which Ceil was.

"When he wakes, he'll probably ask you how everything is."

The young woman sat down near Noland. She brought out a dagger she'd had hidden on her person and started to clean it. Not that it needed to be cleaned, but she was never one who was good at doing nothing at all.

"Alright," Sera had said, picking up her cups and balancing them all carefully in her hands. She had started to head out of the room to make her way back the way they had come when she had heard Arthur hiss something at her. She turned to look at him; upon noticing the monster she froze in place. She stayed quiet as the small monster clambered around the room. As it spread it's wings, Sera took in a quiet intake if breath. Thankfully, it hasn't heard her and only when it left did she move.

"What was that?" she whispered softly when it was out of view.

Diana's hand flew to her chest, halfway through her word when it suddenly turned. She froze completely, watching it head off, away from her, and eventually fly away. Phew. Her blue eyes went to Bastian as she crept out slightly toward the hole again, although still inside the protection of the building.

Bastian had finally reached the purple fruit and was relieved to see that there wss quite a few. He turned around to look where Diana was. He then showed with hand signals that she should follow is trail and to stay quite. Bastian kept a look out while the girl made her way.

"I do not know" said Arthur. "It was not a monster I have seen before. Many of the islands have monsters that are unique to them."

He stepped lightly back towards the door, staying as quiet as possible. When he reached the rotting door frame he stopped to listen for danger, but he could only hear the gentle trickle of the water behind them.

Arthur nodded over his shoulder at Sera and then began to trek back up the stairs towards the others.

Diana dipped her head to show her understanding. Then quietly, gingerly, she stepped out from her cover. She padded softly along his trail, torso slightly bent down in order to make as small a recognisable shape as possible. Eventually she reached him, and straightened with a soft sigh of relief.

“Pick those on the ground up. The will be ripe to eat.” Bastian whispered as he himself started to gather some of the fruit. They were the size of a full grown mans fist so maybe two or three for each will be fine. He continuously looked over his shoulder and listened carefully for anything out of the ordinary but it seems like the gods favored them today.

“Don’t carry too much. We don’t want to lose some and give our hideout away.” Bastian whispered again as he took two more.

Diana picked up a couple that were sure to be stable in her hands. Not a chance of them falling. They turned out to be five - after all, they are quite large. She straightened up from her crouch and looked toward her temporary companion. "Enough? I'm afraid I might drop them if I get any more..."

As Arthur approached Khaine he handed him one of the cups of water. If he was on watch he'd need some refreshment.

He carried on walking past without a word back to where Noland was still sleeping. Arthur placed the cups onto a dusty but still standing table and looked over at him.

"No change?" he asked Angelina.

Exhausted, both mentally and physically. Kaz stared skyward, laying on his back under a clearing between the forest tree's. Xaphan had barely moved from his spot the whole time, merely doing his best to give Kaz space, whilst also maintaining a careful eye on their surroundings.

Bastian only nodded in Diana’s question, they had more than enough for group. Plus staying out here any longer is getting dangerous by the minute. There could easily be something waiting for them, waiting for the right moment to pounce.

“Right let’s get back.” He spoke pointing with his head that they should go the way they came.

Diana dipped her head. Making sure once more that the fruits wouldn't drop, she turned around. Then she crept forward, on the same path that they had followed to get to the fruits. The Roo'ings didn't look all too appetising, but her stomach was telling her to eat them.

Both of them made it safely back into the building and already making their way back up the stairs. The stairs up felt like a huge mountain for him but they had to get up there. He wondered if he should start a conversation with Diana but she seemed a bit bossy. Thou talking would take his mind of this long way back up.

“So, how is the lessons going?” he asked Diana as they continued their way up.

Diana was also feeling slightly uncomfortable in the silence. She was a but relieved when he spoke. "Uh, they're fine... Not the survival ones, as I don't like to kill animals - although I don't mind fishing. So the fighting ones are alright," she commented, smiling wryly to herself at the thought of Ceil's lessons. He had indeed tried to prepare them for stuff like this as best he could. And she wasn't dead yet, so he must be doing alright. Especially with her being her and all. "You didn't go to the school, I'm assuming. Were you already good with fighting and stuff...?"

“Of course I went to school. Otherwise I wouldn’t be in the military.” Bastian spoke but he began to think. With everything that had happened being in the military might not be an option any more. “Well I guess me and Arthur is ex military now.” He spoke again smiling a little but it didn’t stay long on his face.

"I take Ceil still hasn't lighten up a bit then?"

Diana frowned slightly. "So you were only in the school for a year or so, then? Cause most people only discover their Fiends at around fourteen or fifteen from what I've heard..." It took a couple of moments for her to realise he had asked her a question, and started slightly. "O-oh? Not really. He's so grumpy. Did he teach you too?" she asked.

“Yes he did. He’s been teaching at the school for quite a few years now. Not many students get close to him. Guess he prefers it that way.” Bastian continued to speak still walking up the stairs. They came once again at a bad part of the building. Bastian jumped over turning around looking at Diana wondering if she will need his assistance this time.

Diana dipped her head. Not getting close to someone who might die was a good idea. It reduced hurt feelings. She raised her eyebrows as he paused after jumping over the gap. Pfft. Taking a step back, she leapt over it. Yet her one foot slipped on landing, and she had to grab at the front of his shirt to not fall, well, down a couple of stories. "More spring next time," she said breathlessly, letting go of the material once she had her balance and then walking on once more.

As Arthur approached Khaine he handed him one of the cups of water. If he was on watch he'd need some refreshment.

He carried on walking past without a word back to where Noland was still sleeping. Arthur placed the cups onto a dusty but still standing table and looked over at him.

"No change?" he asked Angelina.

Aiedail growled a very soft greeting to Arthur and Sera as they entered.. Angelina turned at Arthur's voice, it took her a moment to answer his question.

"No, he's doing ok physically so far, but the stress has exhausted him it seems." she said glancing from Arthur, to Sera, to Noland.

After a moment, Angelina noticed they had the water they had gone out to search for. She walked over to her sack and pulled out a well-used canteen.

"Here, fill this with the water if you wish." she paused, switching topics.

"Ceil is asleep," she told him before he asked and she nodded her head to the room he'd disappeared into.

"Please don't wake him, he needs sleep. Also, Bastian and Diana aren't back quite yet, but Aiedail hears two sets of feet approaching." she told them softly.

Arthur took the canteen in silence and looked over at his former headmaster. When at the school he didn't have much interaction with the man, most of his time outside of lessons and missions spent reading on his own, but he respected him. Noland had been one of the more popular freelancers in his youth before taking a position at the school in his forties. He became headmaster just a few years later. Now there was no longer a school for him to be headmaster of.

Noland had lost all of his family because of monsters. The only thing he had left was the school. Now even that was gone. If Arthur had been anyone else, he would have felt bad about that.

Bastian steadied his foot grip when Diana grabbed hold of his shirt, he then grabbed hold of Diana’s arm, pulling her in front of him. He looked at the fruit they collected and noticed that they were still all intact.

“Next time don’t refuse a helping hand. Team work is the key to surviving. I believe Ceil taught you that from the beginning.”

Diana refused the rather strong urge to turn around and stick her tongue out at him. "Didn't I tell you I don't like bossiness? You're my minder, not my teacher," she grumbled to him, continuing her steady trudging up the stairs. They should be there soon, hopefully.

“I’m amazed you are able to stay alive then.” Bastian spoke with a hint of sourness but he didn’t care at the moment. If she didn’t want to listen then she should feel it. He even wondered how Ceil was being able to handle someone like this. If she was a guy he would have punched her at the moment for even saying stuff like that, just to set the person straight.

((See, this is why Ceil is awesome. He actually kind of puts up with her. xd.png))

Diana rolled her eyes. He was just being tetchy. Were all men like this? Not able to tolerate her? Well, Archer had been nice and Khaine was... Khaine was Khaine. Huh. So perhaps not all. Yet people in general seemed not able to tolerate her. At least Noland seemed to like her.