Pink

Question marks in descriptions.

I completly and utterly support!

I recently submited some descriptions with question marks in them and then realized that they had lost some of their puncuation like apostraphies and the question marks. I added them back in and then they were accepted and I noticed the question marks still missing. I am a little upset because now Green of a spring meadow mint is missing two question marks and it makes his description a bit confusing and sounds odd.

you have my support.

My Patchwerk zombie will never be a proper one until he can say "No more Play?"

Rejecting a bad use of punctuation is easy as pie.

Support! Support! Support! I have seen many descriptions that must be edited due to lack of enabled question marks, and I would love to see them have the needed question marks. Total support from me.

Very much agree. As a writer I enjoy having as many forms of punctuation available as possible--and question marks are one of the most basic!

Lady Giggler's description would be so much nicer if I could end with a question mark instead of an ellipsis.

I think the ellipsis at the end of her description makes it more interesting. Instead of just asking a question, it seems more like the end of a story forward/prologue and allows the reader to think up scenarios of what could happen.

Wow this thread is from a long time ago, but this issue gets brought up in the description channel every so often. Sometimes ellipses work, yeah, but other times it just makes the sentence read oddly. Ellipses are better at the end of a description rather than in the middle, IMO. I know "addressing the reader" is against the rules, but 99% of the questions I see while reviewing aren't actually doing that.

So yeah, definitely support the ability to use question marks. Sorry to basically bump something so old, but like I said it is still mentioned in #descripdoom.

ALL the support. It drives me insane that I have to phrase sentences weirdly so that I don't have to use a question mark. I have at least two dragons whose descriptions required a question, and I had to completely change the wording to avoid improper punctuation.

Yes please! I wrote poor Beakatrice's description without knowing you can't use question marks. I would have to rephrase everything to fix it and I don't understand why one of the most basic forms of punctuation is off-limits for descriptions.

I feel like this must be implemented. Full support from me! Several of my dragons' descriptions sound outright weird due to the lack of question marks.

I'd like to see either this or an official explanation as to why they're not allowed. Too often I see users just putting a period to get around not having a question mark but just putting a period on doesn't change the grammar or structure of the sentence. So it'd be nice to get the official reason as to why question marks aren't allowed. If there was one given it was so long ago it's now become legend instead of answer. =o

The forward slash would be useful too. I know it's used in HTML and the like, but I really would have liked to mention the "Clementine/Deirwater conflict". "Clementine-Deirwater" just sounds like one of those posh surnames. tongue.gif

I have a 'posh' surname! tongue.gif (But it's self-made, not inherited so far from posh!)

Oh my. I've just realized my initial post in this thread was almost three years ago!

I still support this idea strongly!

I'd like to see either this or an official explanation as to why they're not allowed. Too often I see users just putting a period to get around not having a question mark but just putting a period on doesn't change the grammar or structure of the sentence. So it'd be nice to get the official reason as to why question marks aren't allowed. If there was one given it was so long ago it's now become legend instead of answer. =o

Agree with Socky.

Support from me<3

I know nothing about coding but as far as I know, !"'(), do frequently used in coding syntax. So if they are allowed, why not question mark?

Support. All the support from me, because I'm upset that I have to rewrite this description.

GlitchxCity is known by those close to him as Glitch. However, he is so well known among the other dragons that it can be said that everyone calls him Glitch. Because of his prestigious ancestry, he and his mate Flames are celebrities. Not because of their talents; though Flames's skill with magic is fairly strong, Glitch cannot do anything of the magical variety. He denies that he craves the attention of others, but what other reason could he have to defend his reputation so fiercely? Or to go against the wishes of Flames and his son, 9000 Plus? It would appear that Glitch loves attention more than his own family, when all they want is for him to leave the fame and focus on them a little more. But, all that Glitch really wants is to protect them. He takes all the attention so that they can live in peace. It seems that Glitch did inherit a teeny bit of humility from his parents. Just a little.

I have no idea how there is no support from me here.

I have tons of descrips where I need to find a way around that pesky issue and while it smetimes works out fine, some descriptions simply turn out longer and clunkier because of the lack of one simple character.

Pwetty please?

+1 for Support. Although I haven't had to use a "?" yet, I do think it's very viable to use it in some descriptions.

I definitely support this! Question marks are useful and I don't see why they are banned in the first place. After all, question marks are (not) really connected to first person P.O.V or second person P.O.V

How does P.O.V even have anything to do with question marks anyways -insert question mark here-

...But the descriptions are to describe a dragon, not to ask questions. :| If they have questions, they should come to the forums to ask them because they have a better chance of getting thorough answers.

I do support this idea, it would be nice. I can think of a few instances where they could have been helpful for adding a bit of humor to my descriptions with some questions.

^You haven't really understood this. It's a rhetorical question meaning you don't want an answer. The example in the OP is a rhetorical question so that's what it would be used for.

I support this as my stupid English studying (literacy for all you non-English folks) had made my mind always type/write at such a high level of standard that many cannot understand me; that includes rhetorical questions.

The other dragons often wonder - what is he doing with all those potatoes?

I really wish I could use that line in a description. *sigh*

And he asks himself, "Why am I obsessed with potatoes?" tongue.gif

Question marks would be extremely useful!