Voxezi

Speech issues

I have a slight stutter, mostly thanks to my autism. It tends to be like what Voxezi described in his first post. Often the more pressure I'm under the worse it gets. Sometimes I try to revise my entire sentence halfway through the first go. That usually makes it worse.

Edited by rampaging wyvern

I stutter when I get exiected, after taking two years of speach and proforming arts classes I never say umm, like, ya know or other filler words. I just shut up and don't say anyting then contiune on with what it was I was talking about.

if only my grammer was that good

I don't have any actual speech issues that I know of.

I used to stutter occasionally. I also used to speak too fast, use excessive spoonerisms, or mumble.

I haven't had trouble with those things for a while. I believe I used to have social anxiety. Now... not so much.

I won't ever be a public speaker, but at least I can communicate with people in normal situations now.

Mostly.

My mind goes blank often when speaking to people, or the wrong thing comes out. It makes me look a lot dumber than I actually am. xd.png

I'm just not a talker.

Edited by Pink

I stutter a little bit. Even when I'm Instant Messaging a friend, I'm halfway through a complex sentence then I think of a better combination, backspace everything and re-write it, then I suddenly get confused as to what I was going to say and I end up saying it, then re-typing it to make it simpler.

Same with speaking in real life. But it's easier online.

Stuttering has been a life long issue for me, though I'm better now, I have to admit.

I've always stuttered. And, as a I child, I talked really really fast.

Have any of you heard Crossroads by Bone Thugs and Harmony? As a kid I could keep up with every word they said with zero difficulty. Thats how I normally talked. But, I stuttered on top of it so instead of being, like the OP of this thread said, "Ha-ha-ha-hammer. It was more like "hahahammersaaareuuuusedfornananails" rapid fire and with no pauses between words.

Which made it difficult for /anyone/ to understand me. If often got in trouble for staff mishearing me.

I've had years and years and years of speech therapy. I now talk at a more reasonable pace (unless I'm excited about a new book or something then I talk faster and louder) and most people can understand me.

I still stutter but I don't force it, I stop, breathe, then say it.

I'm adopted but I talk to my biological father. He stutters like I used to (though not fast like I used to) but he won't stop to breathe. It's painful listening to him, cause I know how hard it is to get the darn word out.

I was in a collage class, giving a presentation, and I couldn't get a particular word out. I maybe got the first letter out but nothing else. Finally the teacher said it and I'm like Yes, that word. And just went on with my presentation. (No, I don't remember the word.)

I doubt it will ever go away, but maybe it will get better as I get older.

Edited by Kanaye

I have a stuttering problem, in a way.

Whenever I am nervous or just regularly talking to someone, I tend to say a random word in the sentence about word about ten times, then continue.

Sometimes I know what I am going to say next, sometimes I am looking for the right word.

Still slur like a drunken sailor though, without the benefit of alcohol. x3

Additionally, I tend to mumble a great deal.

These two. I don't even know how many times people have shouted at me "E-NUN-CI-ATE!"... more than a couple dozen this year, at least.

Also, I do stutter. I mainly get it in warm weather, though, for some reason.

if im a bit hyper of excited, i can talk a mile a minute with no pause and no effort in thinking about the rest of my sentence. if i ever get stuck on what my next word is, i'll just repeat the word before it until i figure it out then continue. its kinda fun sometimes, because i usually have to think for a bit to figure out my next word in my sentence. but when im on a racing streak, its so much fun to have every word just come. smile.gif

I don't think I have a real problem, but I do trip over my words sometimes, especially around people I don't know as well, or when I'm reading aloud for some reason. I'll stutter, slur, or have trouble coming up with the word I'm looking for. It's annoying, but I know people with worse stutters and such.

I have a lisp and I stutter a whole lot. I don't really talk that much, but when I do they're very obvious to hear.

I have no trouble writing or typing, but when I speak, Dyslexia shows up, especially if I'm nervous. I will mix words up, combine words, or just totally forget what the word is. I'm really bad around new people or even people I know, because I am also shy. I also get the mile-a-minute verbal diarrhea. I know I'm doing it, but I can't shut up. Even with my BF's parents whom I have know for three years, and, with whom, have gone on a week long vacation to Mexico.

I swear people just think I'm a dumb blonde sometimes, lol.

i went to speech classes when i was little so i really dont have many issues now, except i accidently speak inside out and confuse everyone (including myself) as to what i just said

My boyfriend stutters quite a lot... I'm trying to make him think about how he says stuff (the usual), but he still tend to stutter. The wierd thing is that he doesn't stutter when talking to me, only other people, including people he's know for years and years...

Edited by fizzyfox

When I'm nervous I stutter so much that you can't understand what I'm trying to say, but when I'm happy you can barely here my stutter.

Only when I'm speaking in front of a crowd. It's all planned out so perfectly in my head. But then, I start saying "um..." and scratching my head waaay to much.

It's a habit to scratch the back of my head when I'm nervous of intimidated. dry.gif

Edited by Dauntingale

If I ever am near anyone I don't know, who's older, my age, or looks 'popular', I basically shut up and stay away from them. I can't stand people like that.

I have a slight lisp, stutter and talk incredibly fast. Combine all that, and most of the time people don't understand me. I'm getting better. I managed to contain my stuttering and fast talking to situations when I'm excited or nervous about.

I'm also shy, so I tend to shut up when I'm around people I don't know.

It's rare but when I'm thinking of 2-3 different words and I'm tired I get caught between saying one of them lol. It turns into like wow that guy is a loslame (loser, lame).

I used to also have a rather significant speech impediment, I used to not be able to say a complete sentence without stuttering. When I stuttered, it almost felt like I wasn't breathing when I got excited to say something. I used to get teased about it, it always made me feel so mad! laugh.gif

After some help from a speech therapist back in kindergarten to 4th grade, I brought down my stuttering exponentially. Occasionally though I will find myself stuttering to this day. I guess its something that will stay with me until I die. rolleyes.gif

When I get nervous or I'm talking to someone I don't know I tend to stutter. I once tried ordering something from the phone and I sounded like a babbling idiot. =/

I tend to talk fast when I am really excited or am talking to someone I don't know.

*shudders* Speeches... no. Just no. If I have trouble talking to one person, speeches aren't right for me. Why, grammar teacher? Why must you damage my soul making us do speeches?!