Voxezi

Speech issues

Discuss!

I myself stutter/stammer slightly, especially when I can't think of a word, and my mouth just starts trying out different sounds.

e.g:

[attempting to say hammer]

ha-hi-ha-ho-ham-hamm-ha-hammer.

Or when I just can't get out a certain word.

I stutter sometimes...

Mainly when I'm talking to people I'm not used to. Or trying to say a word I'm not used to.

Or just out of no where and I have trouble talking right.

dry.gif

I had to take speech classes when I was a young'un.

Still slur like a drunken sailor though, without the benefit of alcohol. x3

Additionally, I tend to mumble a great deal.

I have speech issues related to my autism - which means the more stressed I get, the worse they become. If everything's fine and dandy my speech is fine, the more stressed I get the more I'll stutter until I hit the point where I simply can't talk at all. Not much fun.

I stutter a lot, but the biggest problem I have is just not being able to properly organize the words coming out of my mouth so they make sense. By the time I'm half way through a sentence, I've thought up a more efficient or better way of saying the message so I back up but then I just end up confusing myself. Sometimes I start a sentence, but then I've spoken my way into a hole and I can't think up a proper way to end the sentence in a way that makes sense or doesn't sound like friggin' yoda. When I'm really nervous I switch all the words up in a sentence and it just ends up being gibberish.

I don't know why I do this, I think it's because I spend so much time on the internet that I get used to being able to revise things and I try to do it while I'm talking, but you can't exactly delete something you've already spoken.

I stutter a lot, but the biggest problem I have is just not being able to properly organize the words coming out of my mouth so they make sense. By the time I'm half way through a sentence, I've thought up a more efficient or better way of saying the message so I back up but then I just end up confusing myself. Sometimes I start a sentence, but then I've spoken my way into a hole and I can't think up a proper way to end the sentence in a way that makes sense or doesn't sound like friggin' yoda. When I'm really nervous I switch all the words up in a sentence and it just ends up being gibberish.

...This.

I have speech issues related to my autism - which means the more stressed I get, the worse they become. If everything's fine and dandy my speech is fine, the more stressed I get the more I'll stutter until I hit the point where I simply can't talk at all. Not much fun.

^ This. I have enunciation issues too, which get worse when I am stressed. I've worked very hard to overcome them and I have to an extent. Pretty much required that I speak clearly in my job.

^Same here :L

And there's some words I just can't say at all :/

I'm really jumpy and so I'm all over the place when I talk. I always know what i'm going to say but it takes a while for it to come out of my mouth. This is what I sound like when talking to my friends:

"Dude! OMG dude dude ummmm dude oh wait wait dude dude dued umm wait what oh yeah ummm oh ummm dude dude oh yeah last night i had fun in niagra blah blah..."

I'm like that cause I'm jumpy..... all my buds think I'm annoying

Edited by DaniBoo

Whenever I get tired or stressed, I have slurred speech.

So you're normal.

I slur my words together and lisp when I'm nervous (which is whenever I'm around an adult or someone I don't know very well. I hate presentations for this reason.) I don't usually say hi to people unless they're my very close friends because I worry about lisping when I say their names. I've lost a few friends that way.

My parents are worried that I won't be able to get a job because during the interview, no one will be able to understand me.

I also have the problem that Syaoransbear mentioned. once, my friends and I were going to run around like lunatics in their backyard and I asked "with or without feet?" obviously, that made no sense whatsoever.

Apparently, I also talk to quietly for anyone to hear, so there's a lot of "I saw you in the hall and said hi, but you didn't answer" going on with me and my friends. I can hear myself fine...and I can hear them. I don't know if that's really a speech problem, though.

A friend of mine says "like, like, like..." or "s-s-s-so, so, so..." with each word getting louder when she can't think of a word or how to put something.

Edited by Snow Plow

I occasionally get a spittle bit of loonerism.

That's... a 'little bit of spoonerism'.

Just it's very VERY mild, doesn't happen very often at all, and I ALWAYS realize that it's happened when it's happened.

Wow, I just made myself sound loony by changing spoonerism to loonerism. DX

Apart from that, I'm pretty normal, if a little shy. xd.png

Sometimes I have trouble getting certain words out (even if I said them perfectly just five seconds ago) and stutter, just trying to speak it correctly. I can end up doing this for a while until I stop and restart my sentence. It gets really annoying sometimes.

I had to take speech when I was a kid. I am not sure I remember why, only that I think it had to do with my underbite. What I found funny was that the other day I ran into my old speech teacher, I didn't recognize her, but she did recognize me.

I can't produce certain "S" and "Th" sounds.

I can't say things like "Thirty" or "Thistle"

I got made fun of because of it all through elementary-middle-high school.

Sadly enough, even with speech therapy it's not something that will be fixed because I have a slight overbite and my teeth can't come together to form those words.

I've learned to just use other words in place of the ones I can't say.

My biggest speech problems now are forming sentences when I speak. I tend to think faster than I think so I tend to get words wrong or combine words and sentences.

I tend to not pronounce some letters, for example:

An' 'en I was like, uh, you're a 'erk, you...

Not slurred, but weird and I don't move my tongue. Only happens when I feel really awkward or uncomfortable.

I thankfully don't have any speech problems. But I do happen to speak too quickly at times, and no one understands what I'm saying xd.png Once I happened to be laughing a lot with my friends, but I ended up stuttering. I personally find it funny. I was like "Let's go pretend that the ki- the ki- the ki- the ki- ah nevermind" I just couldn't finish that word. I do have a very shy friend that barely speaks though. He only nods and says "aham"

I sometimes stutter, especially with words that start with T. Or really long words. Like "a milanesa", which sometimes I say "alinamesa" (Curious note: "Alinamesa" in Portuguese means "there on the table"). .-.

Also, sometimes the TR followed by many S sounds make me stutter like a crazy one. Or sometimes I stutter on purpose. >:)

Also, www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYv8ZJ1dicc

Funnier with closed captions!

Oh yes, spoonerisms.

I'll say things like "I have a thousand knees on my bruises" or "I have fooked lar!"

I tend to not pronounce some letters, for example:

An' 'en I was like, uh, you're a 'erk, you...

Not slurred, but weird and I don't move my tongue. Only happens when I feel really awkward or uncomfortable.

I have this problem, too. I'll say things like "'orry" or sometimes the word won't come out at all. When I say hi, it's either "..." or "hi"

Edited by Snow Plow

Only at certain times will I stutter. Usually when I'm trying to explain something or when I'm even slightly stressed. It gets to the point where where I can't speak, which stresses me out more.

When I was young I used to mis-pronounce my "s" sounds. Instead of the usual, "rounded mouth / smiling" way of saying it, with the corners of the mouth pulled back, I would use almost like a long "t" sound. In theory, it would sound like "tss" instead of "shh."

HOWEVER, people could not tell the difference between my "s" sound and the "normal" sound. To this day I'm not sure if my speech-therapy teacher ever corrected me, because I don't care enough to pay attention to the way I say it.

I also had breathing problems when I was young, where instead of inflating the chest cavity to breathe in, I would raise my shoulders. I don't know how it worked, but they fixed that up just fine (by sticking a giant tube up my nose OTL)