Voxezi

Speech issues

Speech problems, so what? ._. That so big of a drama?

It can make your life hard. If people can't understand you, they make fun of you, or you have trouble making friends. (I lost friends because I was too worried about mispronouncing their names to say "hi" in the hallways. I can't say certain things when I'm nervous)

Speech problems, so what? ._. That so big of a drama?

"Embarrassing, potentially debilitating disorder? What's so big about that??"

Please use some understand in asking your questions. It is perfectly alright to ask, for example, how a speech impediment could hinder a person in society, but it is never alright to undermine or ridicule the problems of other people. You may not have "meant" this question the way it sounded, but remember: tone is everything. Thank you.

I sputter a bit occasionally.

Usually it happens when I am thinking of saying a particular phrase, and then my mind does a little spontaneous backflip and wants to say a different phrase when I'm in the middle of saying the first one.

It ends up going something like this: "Yeah, when I was youn... young... a while ago.... used to like swimming"

It's usually more dramatic than that, but it's hard for me to think up an example.

It also generally only happens when I'm either stressed or tired.

Still makes me feel like an idiot though.

I also used to mispronounce about every word I came across. I probably still do every now and then, but I don't care, and I honestly don't think anyone else does either.

I still call things like "metropolis" "MetrOH-pOHliss", or "breakfast" "BrhEEkfest".

It gets to the point where where I can't speak, which stresses me out more.

I have had this happen to me several times. I hate it. You want to say something, but the words just come out all wrong, or you trip over them constantly.

At that point I usually just shut up. ._.

Edited by Pink

I hate speaking in public. when I have to speak at classes I always forget the simpliest words and start saying ummmm ummmm ummmm...

I hate speaking in public. when I have to speak at classes I always forget the simpliest words and start saying ummmm ummmm ummmm...

Same. I'm just really scared of people, especially adults. I usually fail presentations.

I couldn't talk right most of the day today dry.gif

"Yeah and- wait thant- I mean thamt- augh thaet- Augh nevemin- nevamind- nevanimd- GRRRR"

And, I'm afraid of people.

I'd add more, but I'm having trouble putting my thoughts into words. Doesn't help that I'm tired.

@ Mirikitani: and you can infer a person's tone of voice through their writing in a game board, I guess. Well, guess what, you've just proved to me you can't. wink.gif

I'm heavily dyslexic, yes. I stutter a lot, oh yes. I can't speak all that well when I'm nervous, good gods know that. Besides, I'm a teacher. A languages and singing teacher. And I sometimes give speeches at my political party meetings. And I do face a lot of rolled eyes and laughter at times.

So friggin what?

It does make your life hard, yes - but so does everything else, like being fat, being gay, having a limp, having a terrible sense of fashion or not knowing how to fry an egg.

So friggin what?

That big of a drama?

Because, you know, I haven't died out of embarassment. I just live with it. If people laugh at me, okay, so what? Truth be said, it must sound kinda funny. I can't demand that they understand me and pity me because, poor poor little me, I have a disability.

So, no, I don't think it's that big of a drama.

EDIT: as for help / support, most cases can be helped with breathing exercises. A little stage practice also helps. If you're interested in arts, music, dance and theatre aid in developing a kind of "mood control", don't know how to call it, so that you can at least have some control over your nerves. It won't simply take away nervousness, but it may make it a little more manageable.

Edited by Kumiho

So friggin what?

That big of a drama?

Uhhh where is all this drama that I'm not seeing? Regular discussion /= drama. Even complaining isn't drama.

Whoa there Kumiho. Calm down. Just because you're coping brillinatly with something doesn't mean that everyone else is going to. Just because you're not upset by something doesn't mean that no one is allowed to be upset about it.

You don't need to get angry and start tossing around the implication of bad language just because some of us think something is a bigger deal that you do.

And, uh, as a general rule you *can't* infer tone of voic over the internet. So you either need to be very, very specific or accept that people *are* going to interpret things the wrong way occasionaly. That, also, isn't something to go off the deep end about.

That's called an opinion.

Or giving said opinion in my own way, whatever works.

I'm saying it's not, in my opinion, something to whine and get all touchy and sensitive about. I don't recall pointing my finger towards anyone and saying they can't feel the way they do. I just said I feel it that way. Do I have a right of stating my opinions and feelings on a general discussion thread?

I'm not saying there is drama here, Syaoransbear [syaoran's bear? o_o]. I'm saying it shouldn't be made into one. IN MY OPINION, which I understand I'm entitled to.

Also, Tiki, I'm not angry. Really. If I had to describe my mood right now, it would be something around the lines of "slightly amused".

as a general rule you *can't* infer tone of voic over the internet

So.

If I was angry I wouldn't be posting on a Dragon Cave message board. I would be out there punching a bag or killing other people on a shooting game. Just because I state things without worrying about sounding cute or sweet doesn't mean I'm mad at someone. wink.gif

I have a few speech problems. I stutter quite often. Also, I think much faster than I can talk, so I often accidently skip words, but then my tongue tries to go back and say whatever it missed, so it ends up a jumbled mess (like this sentence). I have friends name Johnny and Thomas, but, almost every time I say their names, it comes out as Tommy and Johnas.

I've been made fun of a bit because of it, but it usually stops soon, as I just ignore it.

I occasionally get a spittle bit of loonerism.

That's... a 'little bit of spoonerism'.

Just it's very VERY mild, doesn't happen very often at all, and I ALWAYS realize that it's happened when it's happened.

Wow, I just made myself sound loony by changing spoonerism to loonerism. DX

Apart from that, I'm pretty normal, if a little shy. xd.png

I do that as well. Or I skip words in sentences because my brain is past that point.

I also have shyness issues, which leads to me sometimes speak too quickly and quietly so I am asked to both slow down and repeat myself. This then leads to making me feel worse about my shyness because it makes me feel like a little kid and I'm definitely an adult.

I'm saying it's not, in my opinion, something to whine and get all touchy and sensitive about. I don't recall pointing my finger towards anyone and saying they can't feel the way they do. I just said I feel it that way. Do I have a right of stating my opinions and feelings on a general discussion thread?

I'm not saying there is drama here, Syaoransbear [syaoran's bear? o_o]. I'm saying it shouldn't be made into one. IN MY OPINION, which I understand I'm entitled to.

Also, Tiki, I'm not angry. Really. If I had to describe my mood right now, it would be something around the lines of "slightly amused".

You've phrased that an awful lot better. It's not coming across as angry and/or ranty. Which, to be honest, was the problem before. I, certainly, had originaly been under the impression that you were sick and fed up of people being whiney babies about something you didn't consider a problem. Which (had that been correct) is a very confrontational and judgemental attitude. I appreciate you explaining that that isn't what you meant, and by all means you have a right to your own opinion. But opinions aren't considered sacred here, and trust me you will be challenged if people don't agree with you, you'll also be challenged if people don't agree with what they think you've said, even if that wasn't what you meant.

If I was angry I wouldn't be posting on a Dragon Cave message board. I would be out there punching a bag or killing other people on a shooting game. Just because I state things without worrying about sounding cute or sweet doesn't mean I'm mad at someone. wink.gif

It does, however, mean that large numbers of people here are likely to misinterprety you. If you don't mind having to do what you've done here, and go around smoothing down feathers and explaining yourself all the time, then feel free to carry on. OTOH if you don't actualy want people to always assume you're angry about things you may want to look at the way you phrase stuff.

I also have shyness issues, which leads to me sometimes speak too quickly and quietly so I am asked to both slow down and repeat myself. This then leads to making me feel worse about my shyness because it makes me feel like a little kid and I'm definitely an adult.

This sounds exactly like me. :<

I'm sorry, but you are coming off as very angry and very rant-ey.

Also, although everyone is entitled to an opinion, that doesn't mean they can step all over other people. Just because you have an opinion - as most people do - doesn't mean you should voice it. However, unfortunately, you can. This thread is a DISCUSSION about problems people may have, and maybe people want to give some general advice, but it is not for being rude to people who have problems.

You say you are a teacher; prove to us that you are mature and that you DO understand basic literary devices such as tone.

But lo!, what has happened to freedom of speech, I wonder?...

I may need to add something to my signature as to constantly warn all these innocent, sweetest, gentlest board co-posters that I am no Care Bear, I am afraid.

[Not that it is stated anywhere that we need behave like Care Bears, but then again.]

/flies away trailing rainbows

-----

In topic: whenever you feel that you're speaking too fast, try to inhale deeply through your nose and exhale slowly through your mouth. Try to breathe expanding your stomach instead of your chest. That helps steadying your heart rate and adrenalin levels, which are the major villains when it comes to stuttering and the like.

Stuttering is almost always linked to a shy personality, nervousness and thinking too fast, as mentioned many times. So, in my opinion, best way to get [partially] rid of it is getting to manage your emotional state somehow. Simply not caring about other people's reactions also helps. That "so f'in what?" attitude, you know. Caring too much about them [too much, I said] is mostly a waste of time, energy and tears.

Edited by Kumiho

I have a few speech problems. I stutter quite often. Also, I think much faster than I can talk, so I often accidently skip words, but then my tongue tries to go back and say whatever it missed, so it ends up a jumbled mess (like this sentence). I have friends name Johnny and Thomas, but, almost every time I say their names, it comes out as Tommy and Johnas.

I've been made fun of a bit because of it, but it usually stops soon, as I just ignore it.

Aha yes.

I did that the other day.

I said:

"I don't like peanuts in my chocolate butter"

when I meant to say "I don't like peanut butter in my chocolate"

I guess a lot of people are like that. I am. I wish I knew someone else who had that problem, though. It helps to know you're not alone...

And Kumiho, thanks for the suggestions. I always thought that breathing deeply was just something that people made up because they couldn't think of a way to help, but if it works...

Still, it's really hard not to care what other people think.

Edited by Snow Plow

Heh.

Once a friend of mine [more dyslexic than I am, perhaps], when referring to a popular steakhouse in town, called it "Picão da Baranha" instead of "Barão da Picanha".

The correct name, "Barão da Picanha", would translate to something like "Rump Cover Baron" - the Baron part linked to the district's name and rump cover being a well-loved kind of meat here.

The dyslexic version could be understood as "Baranha's Big D***".

"Baranha" sounds more or less like "piranha", which could be either the famous carnivorous fish or the type of woman commonly referred to as a female dog, added to & mixed with "baranga", which is a pretty rude way to refer to a very, very ugly woman.

The steakhouse's official name among us was Picão da Baranha ever after.

-----

I know it's not easy, Snow. Trust me, I've been too shy for too long. It's hard to try and ignore their reactions. Still, it's either raising your head and saying to yourself that you don't need those stupid gigglers to approve of you, or sinking deeper and deeper into your misery. :/

Edited by Kumiho

Heh.

Once a friend of mine [more dyslexic than I am, perhaps], when referring to a popular steakhouse in town, called it "Picão da Baranha" instead of "Barão da Picanha".

The correct name, "Barão da Picanha", would translate to something like "Rump Cover Baron" - the Baron part linked to the district's name and rump cover being a well-loved kind of meat here.

The dyslexic version could be understood as "Baranha's Big D***".

"Baranha" sounds more or less like "piranha", which could be either the famous carnivorous fish or the type of woman commonly referred to as a female dog, added to & mixed with "baranga", which is a pretty rude way to refer to a very, very ugly woman.

The steakhouse's official name among us was Picão da Baranha ever after.

-----

I know it's not easy, Snow. Trust me, I've been too shy for too long. It's hard to try and ignore their reactions. Still, it's either raising your head and saying to yourself that you don't need those stupid gigglers to approve of you, or sinking deeper and deeper into your misery. :/

BIG LOL HERE!

BTW, Brasil?

Stuttering is almost always linked to a shy personality, nervousness and thinking too fast, as mentioned many times. So, in my opinion, best way to get [partially] rid of it is getting to manage your emotional state somehow. Simply not caring about other people's reactions also helps. That "so f'in what?" attitude, you know. Caring too much about them [too much, I said] is mostly a waste of time, energy and tears.

No. Entirely wrong. Stuttering is almost always linked to a genetic disorder of the brain, a developmental disorder or in rarer cases neurological damage such as stroke or traumatic brain injury.

/psychologist.

No. Entirely wrong. Stuttering is almost always linked to a genetic disorder of the brain, a developmental disorder or in rarer cases neurological damage such as stroke or traumatic brain injury.

/psychologist.

O.O so me, my friends, and a lot of my classmates have genetic disorders or brain injury?

Hm, really?

Then I should blame my parents for that. /ebil /not

Yes, Brazil. Campinas, more precisely. ;P

Not true. I only stutter when I really have to say fast things, or when my mouth is full of saliva.

I'm from São Paulo, Capital! biggrin.gif

I stutter as well and I talk fast. I can be kind of hard to understand.

It was much much worse as a child. How I talk now is due to years of speech therapy. Now, if I find myself stuttering, I stop, take a breath and try again. It works, most of the time.

My biological father stutters really really bad. I'm glad I'm no where that bad.