Voxezi

Speech issues

I either talk too loudly or too quietly, I say um and uh before almost every sentence, I talk rather slowly, and I tend to mix parts of words.

Speeches is bad :[

I can't pronounce R properly. English is good, but in Czech you have to say a sharp rrrrr and that's a problem. My surname has a R and people ALWAYS hear L, no matter how hard I try. dry.gif But sometimes it's really cool, I've been told that I have an interesting accent.

Also, talking to people I don't know = apocalypse. I don't even want to order in a restaurant, or go shopping. But that's less of a speech problem and more psychological.

And my friend does the spoonerism thing, a lot. (I didn't know it had a name, thanks thread!)

I have major issues with speech while I'm at work, which is odd because I never had such an issue until a few years ago, and it happens almost exclusively at work.

It's not even a stutter or an accent. I just trip over my syllables like they're jagged rocks on a steep hill when I talk to customers. And I get my digits switched around. A lot.

Lately I do find myself to be stuttering quite often or the volume within my voice lowering/raising during a conversation. When I stuttered my mom always told me it simply thinking more quickly not sure if that's true or not. But what I do know I get easily annoyed when it does happen. Also due to my overbite, find myself having to say thirty and forty as 3-0, 4-0 to anyone.

The issue I have with braces is I either have to try and pronounce the words or try and construct a sentence.

So.. let's imagine I'm trying to say "I like eating toast" while watching a programme and at that exact moment someone says "I'm pregnant". If I try and pronounce the words without focusing on what I'm saying, I'll say "I like eating pregnant" really clearly, but if I'm trying to construct a sentence, I'll say something like "I yike eabing toasht". That has pretty much happened before, except I told my mum I was pregnant accidentally when I was trying to talk about the cat. xd.png

*is not pregnant but was listening to a programme about pregnancy*

I don't know what I do is stuttering per-say, but I have a habit of getting tongue-tied quite a bit. If I'm talking too fast for one thing, though it's really bad when I'm mad which makes me even more angry. I also tend to talk like Zummi from Disney's Gummi Bears. where he would mix up the first letters of the words he would try to say.

Ex: Correct - That looks like a good book.

How it comes out - That looks like a bood gook.

Sometimes its funny other times it's annoying. dry.gif

I can't make a structured speech when I talk more than one sentence. So sometimes I make long pauses when talking and get a bit stuck/stutter. I also can't pronounce words that well and I mix them up sometimes. Like I think I say "bird" but I actually say "cat". I'm not very talkative and it annoys me when I can't explain to people what I'm thinking. I can say small sentences just fine, but elaborating a whole lot of them? lolno, my brain just shuts down. The more I stumble on my words, the more aggressive my voice becomes. I'm not being mean or anything, but some people take it as me being evil.

I used to stutter a lot before, I think it's because of all that tension I ended up like this, it wasn't exactly easy to overcome it. Repeating sentences and texts over and over in my room until I could voice them properly. I honestly don't know how I pulled off being teased and laughed at for stuttering in school. I guess that's why I don't like children

I tend to mix up tenses or jumble sentences or just out right say the wrong word.

It only really happens when I get excited or talk a lot though.

Edited by kitsune93

I tend to think quicker than I can speak, changing my mind in the middle of a word, so the sentence comes out broken and jumbled. But only when I think too much, though this especially happens when I try to read aloud. I get ahead of myself and stumble over the sentence, or jam words together, or misread a word entirely. It can be really embarassing, because I'm a performer and don't mind speaking in front of my class, but when I can't really say what I want to it just makes me seem really embarrassed and nervous when that isn't the case.

I kinda slur a little bit kind of a lot anytime I'm speaking comfortably, I also kinda laugh while I'm talking like I'm trying to speak with something tickling me a little bit when I'm nervous sometimes, although when I'm too nervous I pretty much just can't speak at all it just kinda turns off and I can't get more than a couple sputtered words out

Also I pretty much never talk loud enough and sometimes I mix up words and end up saying an entirely different word than what I'm trying to say that kinda almost sounds similar but not really

During speech, I can't continue my comment. Even if ppt was also my job. And someone gave question during speech, I can't answer them as I was supposed to.

I stutter a lot I get stuck on words/repeat them for a while trying to talk sometimes. I’ll have blank moments where my train of thought just absolutely derails. I hate it I wish I could just talk xd 

@zombiepond I can sympathise; I have an anxiety disorder and sometimes when i'm really tense my mind will just blank out mid sentence XD  

The world would be pretty boring if everyone was the same, so try and see things like these  as quirks, not flaws. :) I know it's a late reply, just saw your comment and wanted to say I can relate, I hope you're doing ok x

Some people with speech issues might want to look into ADHD.  Especially if your speech issues include trouble remembering what you wanted to say (while you’re trying to say it!), or organizing your words and syllables.  

ADHD seems to stem from a combination of brain dysfunctions, and it can cause a broad range of potential symptoms, from speech disorders, poor memory, poor sense of time, and “spacing out,” to developmental delays, emotional oversensitivity, addictions, and eating disorders. 

Because ADHD can look like many different things, some people aren’t diagnosed for decades.  Especially if they weren’t very hyperactive as kids. 

Anyway, the next time you have an opportunity to see a medical professional (especially a psychiatrist, but I know that might not be accessible to everyone), feel free to bring up your speech issues, and other mental or behavior concerns you have.  It's ESPECIALLY important to contact a professional if your issues are causing mental illness (anxiety, depression), or you're relying on unhealthy coping mechanisms.

Speech problems are sometimes a small part of a bigger mental or neurological disorder.  A good doctor will be able to look at your overall health and behavior to give you a formal diagnosis.  And with a diagnosis, you have opportunities for treatment, and can explore healthy coping options!

:)

I have ADHD, often forget what i was saying, sometimes i randomly stop talking and i don't know why, what i say never comes out right Ex: what i want to say- can i see the cat, what i say- umm  c-c-can uh i see umm *thinks* the cat.  and I also lost my voice some how,

Edited by WarEagle1996

On 5/2/2021 at 11:53 AM, Cielmuir said:

Some people with speech issues might want to look into ADHD.  Especially if your speech issues include trouble remembering what you wanted to say (while you’re trying to say it!)

I don't have ADHD, but I did have an untreated concussion, and my speech problems seem to have started after that. It was like my brain would send the order to my mouth and vocal cord to say this thing, then prematurely moved what I was saying to the little trash folder in mid-sentence. I'd have to go and undelete it and start all over again.

I dont have any speech... thingys? , but it's really cool learning about everyone else's!

I get really nervous when I'm trying to talk to people, and the nerves just make my brain shut off. I'm so bad at gathering my thoughts and expressing what I want to out loud. Sometimes whatever I wanted to say just drops out of my head or I completely blank on a word and get stuck. Glad to see in this thread that I'm not the only one. 

I have kind of a weird habit, I don't know if its necessarily a speech issue, but my mom always points it out and wants me to stop: Whenever I talk I tend to laugh or giggle a lot as a nervous habit, just cause I want the other person to also laugh to try to ease the tension I feel. Luckily this mostly seems to work out and make people think I'm fun to be around and/or that I have a cute laugh. 

I sometimes stutter, but I think everyone does from time-to-time, so I don't think I have it to a degree of impairment. My main issue is that apparently I speak incredibly quietly, lol. I don't do it on purpose, and it's really awkward when people keep telling me to 'speak up' even though I feel as if I am speaking normally. 

E: I do think it sorta might have something to do with my anxiety though. I think when I feel more calm I naturally speak louder and don't get as many complaints. But more often than not I find myself consciously trying to speak louder than what I feel is normal for me at the time.

Edited by TheAkatsuki

I don't really have speech issue, but sometimes it feel like I want to tell a bunch of things at the same things and it just come out as gibberish. Sometimes I do weird noises as a way to, like, come back on track and be able to continue the conversation as normal. People don't mind it since they usually understand. I can speak very loudly without really noticing it when I get enthusiasm over something. I sometime come across as rude or easily susceptible because of that, I really don't notice that I'm being loud!