Voxezi

Speech issues

But lo!, what has happened to freedom of speech, I wonder?...

I may need to add something to my signature as to constantly warn all these innocent, sweetest, gentlest board co-posters that I am no Care Bear, I am afraid.

[Not that it is stated anywhere that we need behave like Care Bears, but then again.]

/flies away trailing rainbows

-----

I never said you were not free to say what you want to say. You are. But you need to be aware the we are also free to challenge whatever you are saying, and that we are free to interpret things the way we wish to. All I am saying is that if you wish to avoid misunderstanding then you are, perhaps, not phrasijng things in quite the right way. If you don't care about being misunderstood then by all emans continue.

Indicently the last person we had here who regularly used the "I'm blunt!" excuse to cover up being rude ended up leaving after being warned too many times.

In topic: whenever you feel that you're speaking too fast, try to inhale deeply through your nose and exhale slowly through your mouth. Try to breathe expanding your stomach instead of your chest. That helps steadying your heart rate and adrenalin levels, which are the major villains when it comes to stuttering and the like.

Stuttering is almost always linked to a shy personality, nervousness and thinking too fast, as mentioned many times. So, in my opinion, best way to get [partially] rid of it is getting to manage your emotional state somehow. Simply not caring about other people's reactions also helps. That "so f'in what?" attitude, you know. Caring too much about them [too much, I said] is mostly a waste of time, energy and tears.

Actualy I'm not at all shy, and couldn't give a flying rodents rectum what the rest of the world thinks of me. I'm autistic - it's a neurological problem. If I'm too stressed my brain simply stops working properly. If a few deep breathing excercises were enough to cope with my autism-related speach rpoblem than I rather think they'd have been cured by now as I spent a good year working on CBT.

O.O so me, my friends, and a lot of my classmates have genetic disorders or brain injury?

Possibly. Or a developmental delay. I would have to meet you and do several sessions with you to determine.

Shyness is not the cause of stutters, but it is often the result. When someone becomes self conscious about their speech, they often become unwilling to speak.

@ Kumiho

what has happened to freedom of speech, I wonder?

This board is populated by people from all over the world. Freedom of Speech is an American concept, not an international one.

I can't properly pronounce the "R" sound, comes out as a cross between the "R" and "L" sounds. My tongue seems to be the problem there - it looks wider and doesn't come to a tip when I compare it to others - like my sister's.

It wasn't until my Junior or Senior year in High School that I learned to properly make the "S" sound; I had what the speech therapists called a lateral lisp. One day while I was in speech therapy, another teacher was visiting and tried a method that had worked for others with the same problem - having the patient use their tongue to hold a small drinking straw behind their front teeth, and then make the "S" sound while holding it there. It worked! The problem was that I unknowingly had my tongue in a slightly wrong position, so slight was it off that without the straw technique I never would have been able to correct it.

Freedom of Speech is an American concept, not an international one.

I may be wrong, but isn't it mentioned in that Universal Declaration of Human Rights? I know Americans evoke it all the time, but I believe that concept is much older than the US themselves.

@Tiki: I did not direct that post at you, FYI. Also, I said nothing of you saying I wasn't free to say what I want, etc. wink.gif Please do interpret my words as you wish. You're free to do it, right?

I may be wrong, but isn't it mentioned in that Universal Declaration of Human Rights? I know Americans evoke it all the time, but I believe that concept is much older than the US themselves.

@Tiki: I did not direct that post at you, FYI. Also, I said nothing of you saying I wasn't free to say what I want, etc. wink.gif Please do interpret my words as you wish. You're free to do it, right?

Article 18 contains the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion.

Article 19 has the right to freedom of expression and the right to hold opinions. That's the closest thing, but isn't the same thing as freedom of speech in the American sense.

It also should be noted that this is a Declaration and not Treaty therefore has no legal basis. Many countries at the very least include most of it as part of that nations laws. But there are under no obligation to do so. If it was the Universal TREATY of Human Rights that would be a different thing entirely and would as a result be enshrined in international law.

Some countries, such as the USA, have their own Freedom of Speech rights. This is in addition to the UDOHR (which as I said, has no legal basis). The UK doesn't have a Freedom of Speech law per se but England's Bill of Rights from 1689 guarantees Freedom of Speech in parliament. However the UK also has Blasphemy laws which are supposed to prevent blasphemy against Christians - although these are in review.

And so ends today's history lesson!

If everything's fine and dandy my speech is fine, the more stressed I get the more I'll stutter until I hit the point where I simply can't talk at all. Not much fun.

This is how I am. Plus I slur some words and have a bit of lisp ever since I had braces.

I have autism so sometimes if i get to stressed or upset i mumble and if i get bad enough i can't talk at all!

I don't have any specific problems. Though I tend to make a fool of myself sometimes. "Hornado twit." Was one of my famous mess-ups. I also slur words together when I'm trying to explain things. So, it becomes, "I-I-dunno." Like... I don't stop talking in between at all. I think that's it though.

Due to my overbite my 30's sound like 40's to most people and have to say the numbers instead so that they understand. I really do not let it bother me.

I stutter all the time. :/

And like some have already said, my brain tends to work faster.

My speech is like my handwriting on most days: sloppy but you're still able to understand it pretty well.

I also have a bad habit of throwing quite a few umms and uhhs in there when I can't think of what to say. It's worse when I'm nervous. Like during class presentations. -.-

And I mumble a lot, too. Sometimes you can't even understand me even though it sounds loud and clear to me.

My sentences often end with a "know what I mean?"

I tend to switch up words in a sentence a lot. Instead of saying a 50 question test, I might say a 50 test question.... Then sometimes, I guess I don't enunciate enough and people correct me when I'm saying the right thing...

I know three people who stutter/have speech issues. One had a stroke when she was five and it stems from that. My brother has moderate autism, which accounts for his speech issues. The other one has a severe stutter, but she's never mentioned it nor said what caused it. Honestly, I don't care. She's a nice girl anyway~

I have a slight problem saying some words with the letter "R", especially if the word ends with it, such as four.

It's gotten better over time, but I should've stayed in speech class in elementary school. haha

No. Entirely wrong. Stuttering is almost always linked to a genetic disorder of the brain, a developmental disorder or in rarer cases neurological damage such as stroke or traumatic brain injury.

/psychologist.

I know this is Oldy-McOldypants, but I just saw this and got rather curious. When I suddenly started stuttering nearly eleven years ago, it didn't seem to be because of any of those reasons, but as time wears on and my voice has improved (I rarely stutter anymore or completely loose language), it really does make me wonder if, somewhere in there, there was something more obviously along the lines of brain injury than anyone had thought to track down at the time.

Mostly I wonder because it seems like my brain has routed around whatever was causing me to stutter, and it only took a decade to do it.

The only times I stutter are when I'm very nervous about speaking - it's not actually a neurological thing with me, just nervousness. I very rarely stutter when I'm not anxious.

On the topic of speech issues, is anyone familiar with Spoonerisms? I do that all the time when I talk. (example, saying "I baked cookies" as "I caked bookies" or something like that.)

On the topic of speech issues, is anyone familiar with Spoonerisms? I do that all the time when I talk. (example, saying "I baked cookies" as "I caked bookies" or something like that.)

I do that all the time, too. -.-

My mom does that too. I don't think my dad does that much at all.

I only stutter when I have to speak to my chemistry teacher. I think she hates me. However, I am horribly bad at expressing myself when speaking, so whatever I want to say often comes out muddled and doesn't make much sense. My 'accent' also gets a lot stronger.

My brother has major stuttering problems. Or rather a lot of that was corrected. He went to speech therapy all his life and two years ago he went to a speech therapy camp thing. When he came back he hardly stuttered at all. At the end of the program they had to do a finishing public speech in front of everyone involved and their parents. He made loads of people cry.

I stutter sometimes and tend to mumble as well as saying umm and uhh. There's also the problem where we all say like to much. e.g. "You know like what i'm talking about like really right?" yeah...

i can't pronounce words sometimes xd.png i can pronounce them properly otherwise, but sometimes i mumble.

i also talk WAYYY too fast and nobody can understand me at times.

I think I had speech therapy because I had troubles with "-th" sounds. I remember something like that, anyways, but it was when I was young, like 8-9 years old. I don't really remember much up until around 12 years. /shrug. So it could be entirely made up, since I don't have a problem with it now.

I don't stutter, but I often make huge grammar mistakes when speaking.(not when writing, my written grammar is perfect!...almost).

And I go 'uuuuummmm' a lot when speaking in front of many people and I am being nervous.

Other than that, I think I am fine.

Edited by earthgirl

Spoonerism seems to be my only problem, at the moment. I do it all the time, when Im tired, exited, nervous, or being my usual random self. But sometimes when I'm saying something my mind will change one word. So instead of "today was random." it would become " today was real..... Uh... That's not right..."

I have slight speech problems, Sometimes I pronounce common words wrong, people say that I talk in a weird way.I say um a lot, and I take long pauses.If I talk more then usual my throat starts to tighten and my voice comes out funny.

Edited by TealDraco