Kirbyburn

Ascension

How should lineages work?  

726 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I give up. smile.gif

How long should the cooldown be for fails.

Personally, I don't think we should have a fail, or at least it should be a really low chance of a fail.

If we must fail, though, I'd say no more than a month--since that's what Vamps have. I'd prefer something more like 2 weeks.

I never saw the first thread, I understand all the questions about how long, BSA v potion, etc. I agree with a dragon having to be at least a year old. I do not have the lengendarys so I have not been through the summoning failures, but I do a lot of breeding and know it can get very frustrating if you never get what you are trying for. So some sort of guarenteed or progressive success rate sounds good to me.

But I do not understand. Is ascension a whole new sprite/image for older dragons?

Will the new sprite still be identified with the original breed?

Or will all asscended dragons look alike?

I'm not clear on this but the talk of assention reminds me of Gandalf the Gray, becoming Gandalf the White. (if it's like this, wouldn't the breed/sprite still be the same maybe just a slight change and a new color? not as much work for the artists as brand new images.)

I never saw the first thread, I understand all the questions about how long, BSA v potion, etc. I agree with a dragon having to be at least a year old. I do not have the lengendarys so I have not been through the summoning failures, but I do a lot of breeding and know it can get very frustrating if you never get what you are trying for. So some sort of guarenteed or progressive success rate sounds good to me.

But I do not understand. Is ascension a whole new sprite/image for older dragons?

Will the new sprite still be identified with the original breed?

Or will all asscended dragons look alike?

I'm not clear on this but the talk of assention reminds me of Gandalf the Gray, becoming Gandalf the White. (if it's like this, wouldn't the breed/sprite still be the same maybe just a slight change and a new color? not as much work for the artists as brand new images.)

Well right now dragons have 3 stages.

Stage one hatchling

Stage two hatchling

Adult

Think of ascension as a 4th stage.

Same dragon, same features and stuff in the sprite.

They're just kinda bigger and more detailed =3

And more awesome. I vaguely remember the ascended water dragon, it looked so totally gorgeous (back when the ascension thread was still out in the public, that is). wub.gif I know the others looked amazing, too, but this is the one that stuck in my mind.

I'd suggest that we keep any issues regarding the actual artwork to the private thread, to prevent confusion, if not hurt feelings when the spriters inevitably do things their own way instead of ours.

EDIT: Hey, hey, I'm not trying to start anything, I'm just saying that's probably what would happen if we were discussing the same things here as they are there.

EDIT: Also, shouldn't that text be green, Socky?

Edited by ~!~

Let's not start drama over the artists property and what is their right to do with it. ^^

EDIT: Lots of times people aren't trying to start anything when stuff happens. x3 Just be careful of how you word things. :3

I can't leave behind my blue, yet. ;~;

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

^ Yes, but we'll need to discuss the politics later

Ok, so the time issue is looking pretty one-sided from the poll, can we all agree on the 6 month limit? (The great 6 month compromise! xd.png *shot*) Now we need to look at failure rate, then cool-down if applicable. I'm gonna say I don't mind a lack of a failure rate but would prefer one. It only makes sense that some of the dragons would fail. To put a number on it I think the rate of success should be about 67%, couple this with a relatively low cool-down (2 weeks?) and I think were ok. It just doesn't make sense for every dragon to succeed every time. This way the success rate is high (to put it in perspective, the chance of Ascension is 96.3% after 3 tries, 98.8% after 4, and pretty much negligible after that.) to avoid frustration, yet it still makes sense in context.

^ Yes, but we'll need to discuss the politics later

Ok, so the time issue is looking pretty one-sided from the poll, can we all agree on the 6 month limit? (The great 6 month compromise! xd.png *shot*) Now we need to look at failure rate, then cool-down if applicable. I'm gonna say I don't mind a lack of a failure rate but would prefer one. It only makes sense that some of the dragons would fail. To put a number on it I think the rate of success should be about 67%, couple this with a relatively low cool-down (2 weeks?) and I think were ok. It just doesn't make sense for every dragon to succeed every time. This way the success rate is high (to put it in perspective, the chance of Ascension is 96.3% after 3 tries, 98.8% after 4, and pretty much negligible after that.) to avoid frustration, yet it still makes sense in context.

I dont think the action would be very worth it if its gonna fail.

Example:

"Finally, my dragon can ascend." "This is it, im so excited." ... "wha, the !@ HOW DID U FAIL ME!?"

Why does this even need to fail?

This is why:

Quoted from above

"It only makes sense that some of the dragons would fail. To put a number on it I think the rate of success should be about 67%, couple this with a relatively low cool-down (2 weeks?) and I think were ok. It just doesn't make sense for every dragon to succeed every time. This way the success rate is high (to put it in perspective, the chance of Ascension is 96.3% after 3 tries, 98.8% after 4, and pretty much negligible after that.) to avoid frustration, yet it still makes sense in context."

Let's give it a low failure rate to avoid frustration but it makes no sense, especially if it's a rite of passage, for every dragon to succeed every single time. Because this isn't a natural progression since every dragon doesn't ascend, they have to work at it, would every single attempt succeed? Does that make ANY sense? It's only a two week cool-down, with a rather low failure rate, in the time it takes to bite two vamps, you'll almost DEFINITELY (and that's worse case scenario) ascend you dragon. Besides, that's just one dragon, people usually don't take batches of one dragon, if they take a batch of three, usually two will ascend right away, the other they might have to wait a bit, but they'll have other dragons ready to ascend before then. This isn't about personal preference anyway, it's about what makes sense, this is like breeding, there should be a chance of failure to make more sense IC.

Mmmm, I'd rather a higher rate than 67%, why not like 75%? But 67% isn't bad.

That didn't really answer my question, you just kinda backed up ur own point. Y'all are thinking too much that everyone who plays DC is an adult, I'd be pissed if I was a kid, and pro

bably rage quit

Edited by Kirbyburn

and you haven't responded to my point, at all....

If kids are really gonna get pissed at this game and quit, they would have already left from summoning, breeding, biting, and rare hunting, the kids that are left are obviously ready to wait a bit for what they want

That didn't really answer my question, you just kinda backed up ur own point. Y'all are thinking too much that everyone who plays DC is an adult, I'd be pissed if I was a kid, and pro

bably rage quit

A failure rate like that is still way higher than Summon.

My sister's twelve and she says she's fine with as much as a year to wait. She says that Ascension should be a special reward that you have to play the game for a while to get, and that newbies shouldn't have Ascended dragons. I think most of the people who stick around and really enjoy the game and play it for more than a month are at least high school age.

bably rage quit

If a kid playing DC would "rage-quit" at anything, it'd be at not being able to grab a metallic, or having Summon fail for months and months in a row, or not being able to grab a holiday dragon... Kids could possible "rage-quit" over any number of things on DC. Suggestions should not have to cater to the random impatient child that *might* quit if they weren't satisfied with the outcome.

My 2cents:

I'd personally rather a shorter wait, 2-3 months, but I did vote for 6 months since that seems like the best compromise in this thread. With a *six month wait* before a dragon can even attempt to Ascend, though, I'd think the fail-rate should be extremely low... Maybe 20% or so. So that would be 80% success rate... Maybe 75. Definitely no extreme fails, because waiting *that* long should negate the need for tons and tons of fails.

I'd be fine with 75% (for perspective that's 93.75% after 2 tries 98.4375% after 3 tries, 99.609375% after 4, over 99.9% after that)

I don't agree with ascension at all. I mean, I just nearly went crazy gith the latest feature - perma S1s, making stage 1 freezing another task.

Besides, you're kinda forgetting that the pixelators, who are working on dragons as it is, will have to make new sprites, rather than us getting new eggs.

It's too soon to add another feature like this. At least Eggs already have a graphic.

They've already been working on it =/ if I remember correctly for over a year now, same as the la femme before it came out.

Yeah, from what I remember before they made the thread private or secret or whatever they did, there were "ascend" dragons that were mostly done. And that was a long time ago. So it's not like we are randomly asking them to make tons of brand-new sprites. This has been in the works for a long time.

My sister's twelve and she says she's fine with as much as a year to wait. She says that Ascension should be a special reward that you have to play the game for a while to get, and that newbies shouldn't have Ascended dragons. I think most of the people who stick around and really enjoy the game and play it for more than a month are at least high school age.

Your sister is a wise girl. She says exactly what I think. Please give the girl a cookie from me. biggrin.gif

If you look at the thread about catching at Valentine's when everyone was going nuts, the most patient and determined person to get around the lag was a kid; I think she was 9. She was cross, but sat quietly and worked out a way around it. Her aunt - who had been VERY impatient indeed - said it was a really salutary lesson to her; she had been on here cursing with the best of us !

I think adults are much worse than kids for impatience.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Well, since we've kinda arrived at the 6-month-wait as a compromise, I don't think we need much of a failure rate. I'd prefer none. Yes, older players could ascend their dragons by the hundreds, but really, where's the problem? If ascension had been available 2 years ago, the dragons would have been ascended for quite a while now.

Also, how many people do you think are going to check all their unascended dragons (who are less than 6 months old) daily in the hope of being able to ascend them ASAP?

If we have to have a chance of failure, though, I'd like to have a guarantee of success as soon as the dragon is one year old.

Its kinda hard to argue with four people at once but...

@Sceptile, and may they have. So why should you add something else to push more people over the edge. If your dragon is going to age,not work, for something, then it has no reason to fail because its based solely off age.

@Marie

For summoning, after a year and a half of getting the three elements, i havent been able to summon and i just stopped. I just quit because that good feeling you get when you do summon was outweighted by the constant false hope.

So basically it ended changing from "YES YES FINALLY, I GOT IT" to "All this for that one dragon, and i can only have two!?" And this is what im scared your pushing ascension towards.

@Kage

Summon is the lowest second lowest success rate. You could say that for almost everything, I've failed at other things because of the game mechanics just as much,

Lol again, back 2 school...chem lab to finish.

How many of each type of dragon will the average person be likely to Ascend?

It sound like the sort of thing people will want to do and get done with, to me.

But then, I don't expect that most people will want to Ascend ALL of their dragons that have this available, unless they aren't fond of the current sprite (thinking of Teleport complaints about having to have Magis, if they're set up for this,) and prefer the Ascended ones.

And scroll completionists who only want two of each kind will.

(Edit: meant to make the point that completionists will go crazy with various of the proposed extended waits and fails, lol.)

I'd probably want one or two pairs of each myself, unless some sprites were just spectacular...

Edited by Syphoneira

How many of each type of dragon will the average person be likely to Ascend?

It sound like the sort of thing people will want to do and get done with, to me.

But then, I don't expect that most people will want to Ascend ALL of their dragons that have this available, unless they aren't fond of the current sprite (thinking of Teleport complaints about having to have Magis, if they're set up for this,) and prefer the Ascended ones.

And scroll completionists who only want two of each kind will.

(Edit: meant to make the point that completionists will go crazy with various of the proposed extended waits and fails, lol.)

I'd probably want one or two pairs of each myself, unless some sprites were just spectacular...

im pretty sure any amount of dragons can be ascended, unless there is a problem with it beinng "rare". In that case, they're probably gonna want a limit.

Kirbyburn, that's why most of us are in favor of having a potion option too, to speed up the process. Have you even read the thread? Also, your analogy to summoning is irrelevant, because summoning doesn't simply involve waiting, it also involves a chance, and that CHANCE is what is so annoying, not the waiting itself. If you have to wait a while for something but you know you're going to get it once that time passes, that won't be nearly as frustrating as waiting and only having a really small chance.

I am pretty indifferent when it comes to the fail rate. I am okay with having one if it is not excessive, and I am okay with not having one at all. I think if you have a 90% fail rate and it doesn't affect any other dragons, that won't be bad. Summon is irritating because you can only do it once every two weeks no matter what. But if there's a limit or something like "ten Ascension successes in 2 weeks", then one fail won't affect that limit and other dragons can be ascended successfully.