arlymaye

IOU - Breeding Promises

I usually accept IOUs and I also offer them ^^" .

No luck with rares in the cave so I have to get them through hatchie offers and such. It ususally works out pretty fine as I try to pay them back asap. ^.~

From previous bad experiences I do NOT under any circumstances take IOUs. I know there are a lot of honest people on DC, but I need to see a dragon I'm trading for, not some potential egg in the future. So now when people offer to breed for me in exchange for something else, I kindly turn them down, no matter their stellar reputation on the forums or their years of playing.

On the flipside, I do at times promise people certain dragons if they need them for a lineage or something else. Very rarely will I promise to breed or raise anything though in exchange for their dragons; it'd be dishonest of me to say I can remember anything like that weeks or months from now so I try hard not to do it.

To be honest I think around 60% of the IOU's made don't really happen because of the reasons mentioned above.

Hmm..I think 60% is too high a representation of failed IOUs. Not many people trade with absolute strangers unnecessarily. Most IOUs involved people who are friends or at least have a credible presence here in the forum or on IRC.

Edited by arlymaye

I'd do an IOU for a really hard to get dragon that's possibly time dependent or seriously limited (such as Holly or prize dragon). Especially as I can't guarantee that I have good trade fodder at the exact right moment around Christmas or around prize dragon breedings. I think those are the only things I would do IOUs for. In general I don't do much trading as the only things I really need for my scroll are really hard to find good trade for (mainly the Holly, prize dragons, and negleccteds xd.png)

I do take IOU but i can't make IOU. my scroll is actually kind of sucky. high lineages and so making it isn't really possible biggrin.gif

but usually waiting for IOU is also usually waiting for a miracle to happen.

well unless it's not some super rares or specifics.

I made an IOU for a 2nd gen gold x black dragon, and I was able to fulfill that after a couple weeks of failed breedings. I made an IOU of a holly next year for a very nice trade, and I have two IOU's that I have been promised, but I have to wait a while until they can be fulfilled. I think as long as you're dealing with honest people it is alright. You know, I was thinking the other day that there should be some kind of recognition for people who make IOU's and keep them. It would be similar to the Acts of Random Kindness thread.

Edited by eaglefeather831

I did once I got a silver for my hubby and promised a certain pairing to them. When I got them to breed I tried for 3 days to get them to answer a pm and got no answer so kept the egg. I don't do IOU's any more though

I do however read thru post and go to the The Giving Tree and breed and offer no exchange is required it is a gift

Edited by Merlot

I give and take IOUs from people I feel like I can trust. I have a few IOUs right now I need to fulfill. It's frustrating and I sort of feel bad when IOUs take months to pay back. ._.

I'm not a big fan of IOU's, although I do give them out and occasionally accept them. However, after I traded my first bred gold away and the person who received it never paid me back because his/her scroll got burned, I was kind of annoyed.

I still have to pay back a few IOU's, usually with my metallics and trios, which makes it hard to pay them back, and makes it slightly annoying because when I finally breed a metallic, I have to give it away sleep.gif But I understand it's my own choice so I should live up to it. I try my best to do so. I still have to pay some back, and I haven't forgotten them (my metallics/trios just refuse to breed).

I'm trying to do fewer IOU's because they tend to be extremely binding.

Edit: Also, this quote sums it all up:

"The doer of favors is more consistent, since he tries to retain the gratitude he has earned, while the receiver is more grudging, feeling he repays a debt rather than does a worthy thing." -Pericles

Edited by zephyr_123

I don't offer IOUs unless it's something reliably repayable (ie: ER hatchlings)

My breeding of rares is far more sporadic than i would be comfortable with making promises.

If it's someone I know I can trust I'm fine with taking IOUs for trades.

"The doer of favors is more consistent, since he tries to retain the gratitude he has earned, while the receiver is more grudging, feeling he repays a debt rather than does a worthy thing."

Hah, this. ^^

Therefore I'm more willing to take IOUs , rather than make them. I always keep a list of dragons I owe to people, and try to repay as soon as possible, as I feel in debt, which I don't like in real life neither - one of the reasons I don't like to borrow money from people as well.

I have made some and repaid them, but not many.

I will take them, for certain creatures. Since golds and silvers are soooo hard to breed right now (literally ANYTHING is), I'll accept IOUs for them.

And since I'm desperately seeking prize dragons where I'm even offering 5:1, I'll take an IOU for one of them, too, assuming I feel comfortable taking an IOU from that person. I have to at least know them a bit on DC.

I don't think IOUs are necessarily bad. One must realize, for all the world seems, the average person is trustworthy.

The only IOU I have ever done for a trade was giving someone a pink to influence a mate for their pretty Thuwed, and then getting an child from it. Other than that I will promise people things as gifts (usually even gen stuff), but I'm not as worried about how long it takes to fulfill those because they are gifts.

I haven't done Holiday IOUs because this is my first year, and because the trading system is changing I don't think Im going to make any.

P.S. arlymaye, I think the record for Marrows at the DC record book is 18. You should go challenge it. smile.gif It looked like you had... 30?

For me, that's a firm "sometimes." It depends on the person and the trade.

Taking IOUs:

If it's an oldbie with any kind of a decent rep, and it's something I can be reasonably sure they can repay (like a metallic when they have tons of their scroll, or a CB black when they known as a good catcher/trader of those), then yes. If it's a relative newbie and they only have to get me a CB common, then yes. N00b, newbie who is truly too new to understand what they're doing, someone with a bad rep, or someone who plays too sporadically, no. Alternatively, if it's something where I'm half-inclined to gift the thing to them, I then don't much care if I'm ever repaid or not, so I'll accept an IOU even from someone who may not be able to deliver until we've both long forgotten.

The thing about taking IOUs, for me, is that a lot of people will make and take them but never write down the other person's name or the details of what's owed. I've tried to repay people only to find that they're never unlocked and forgot all about it, and I've had people PM and IM me with stuff they say is mine but I'm like "o.o Are you sure it's me? Dude, I totally forgot about that."

Making IOUs:

I try to avoid this, in almost every case. I once had such a massive streak of alt-breeding that I IOUed one, and instantly my pair dried up and had no eggs at all. Then when I finally had one, the person I owed was offline for a full week and I ended up trading it away because I didn't know if he'd even be back. Other things, especially if it's something I know I can trade for, I don't mind IOUing... but I still try to avoid it, if for no other reason than that I dislike having to hold eggs for days at a time when I'd rather be breeding and catching for myself. *shrug* Selfish, but I always start thinking about the one time with the alt... that situation drove me nuts, because I really, really wanted to repay him and couldn't.

I did for a while, but I've stopped. Usually by the time I got my dragons to breed the required egg, I couldn't get ahold of the person to transfer it to them. :|

I plan on doing breeding requests again once scroll limits go up and we have Teleport.

I haven't been offered an IOU yet, but lately, I've decided only to make IOUs that I can definitely get in three weeks at the most. For example, three ER hatchies. Easy.

I sometimes take and I some times make, but I always try to pay them off as quick as I can. I still have one at the moment. XP

The only IOU I was made was to be my first gold, from one of the DC contest threads. I never got anything from it. So after that, I'm a bit wary of IOUs. I consider Lineage projects a pretty good deal since most people like to do them. But rares, to me you never know if or when the egg will happen. And you don't know what real life problems might cause issues and knock the person offline. So, I usually randomly gift instead of trying to IOU. After teleport comes out, my feelings might change as people use the time zone excuse a lot, and that may be a non-issue after that.

It might be interesting to see a poll for people how many IOUs that have waiting, how many failed, average time to completion. I admit, if someone offered me a 2nd gen prize dragon for PB 2nd gen colored stripe IOUs I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I'm not even sure how people strike up conversations for that since it's taboo in the trading thread.

I IOU when I really really want something. Like right now, I traded a 2nd gen silver IOU for a 2nd gen prize dragon promise, so it was like a trade of promises. I occasionally make promises, and I try to pay them off ASAP. I might even trade something to get what I needed to pay off this IOU. tongue.gif

I, however, accept IOUs from a lot of people, if I know that you're trustful. heh.

Like right now, I have ~5-6 outstanding IOUs where people owe me stuff, and 2 IOUs where I owe others stuff. tongue.gif

And to the people I IOU stuff to right now, I'M GETTING IT TO YOU. tongue.gif

Unfortunately, sometimes I just need to give IOUS... Right now, I still owe a cb gold and Neglected tongue.gif

Also, as many, I would take IOU from persons I know, or just seen at the Forums a lot.

I would take an IOU if it's something I really want since I'm pretty easy going when it comes to those types of things. I'm actually more leery of offering IOU as my dragons all tend to be difficult when it comes to breeding what I want!

(Member for over a year and still none of my metals breed for me.)

I have recently had 2 BEAUTIFUL IOU's gifted to me and I'm waiting on 1 more next week.

I also have 2 IOU's which I'm working on, but since my Silver Boy doesn't want to give me a silver egg, and since my bright Pink doesn't seem too interested in her mate, I might be owing these for quite some time dry.gif But, I AM working on them, which is the point, isn't it smile.gif

TD.x.

Under normal circumstances i.e. trading no. But if I'm gifting (or trying to with metallics sheesh!) it is, by it's very nature, an IOU of sorts. But I don't take IOU's in trade. I did a few times at first but, unfortunately, not everyone comes through due to various circumstances with what you might be owed. So, in general, I don't recommend it unless you know the person very, very, well and have dealt with them a few times in the past and found them to be super reliable.