arlymaye

IOU - Breeding Promises

I've taken two IOU so far. One was super quick in breeding the egg and kept in touch with me. The other has been in limbo for about two months now. At 50% success, i'm kind of leery to take any other IOU.

I've never made IOU for trading, although i've made IOU for breeding requests. I tend to always forget them, though, unless the person in question bugs me (which I greatly encourage anyone that I owe something to, to do!). Curse my Anterograde Amnesia! D:

Edited by MysticTiger

We've rather been warned off it... I only accept/offer them with people I KNOW.

i take and give IOU's. i keep a list in my Profile Notes. the most i take though on any given pair is 4 IOUs, and i put them in order of when the request was made.

the only problem i have with IOUs is figuring out the line between keeping the other trader up to date on how the IOUs are comming and bugging them too much lol

so far, i've had really good outcomes with trades and IOUs. especially where my black babies are concerned, as they seem to only produce every 4th breeding attempt xd.png

I have no problem with giving IOUs and I always fulfill them, even if it takes a very long time. I had two specific crosses that I had IOUd for two different people, and my CB metals just weren't cooperating to fulfill them. It took me around a year, but they both finally gave me eggs and I fulfilled both my outstanding IOUs earlier this week, even after one of my trading partners had even offered to release me from the trade since my metal was being so stubborn.

As for taking them, I do accept IOUs as long as it is someone who I have seen around and seems to be trustworthy.

I made a promise to a friend who is helping me with ND experiments that the second successful turn we get, she gets to keep. Dunno if that counts as an IOU but I'm really grateful that she's always keeping an egg slot open for me and putting up with my nagging, so I figure I'd owe her an ND for her trouble.

I'm chock full of IOUs, lol. I'm trying to shorten my list (which I keep on a google doc), but it seems like none of my dragons are behaving. >:

Which makes me feel bad, because then I don't get to send out the eggies in a timely matter. >.> But I enjoy IOUs, and have yet to have a bad experience with them.

I offer and accept IOUs if they seem reasonable. I IOU'd a 2nd gen PB alt vine once, and was so relieved when it alted (even though it only took 3 tries) that I don't offer alt IOUs and prefer to get the alt first.

Bred IOU's for bloodswaps or tinsels are usually fine if you have a proven pair although I have an outstanding IOU for a seasonal and none of my seasonals have produced eggs for more than a month. I hate owing things so all IOUs are a priority and I make a note of them on my profile. I never IOU CB eggs unless they are really common and easy to catch.

I'm currently hatching two bred eggs as part of a trade.

Only been stung once , but it was a bloodswap. Disappointing, but not that difficult to find elsewhere.

I have no problem taking IOUs, but I am careful about what I will promise away, or what I'll give away in promise of an IOU.

My Golds and Silvers are rather picky breeders, so I am very hesitant to offer out any IOUs for Gold or Silver offspring from them. (Common offspring, though, are no problem). I'm also more likely to offer an IOU on something I can breed than on something CB, unless it's for a rather common dragon or a hatchling from an egg I already have on my scroll.

I am hesitant to offer IOUs on holiday dragons, but I'm not against it if the offer is good and it's not too far in advance of the holiday (so the odds of that person being active when the holiday arrives are good).

I also keep rather meticulous notes, because I do not trust my memory with things. I put a priority on resolving IOUs, as well, because I don't like owing things.

I don't mind people owing me things, though, and I am rather patient as long as I can tell the person is trying. I generally don't trade away irreplaceable dragons in favor of an IOU, either, so it's not a giant loss if the deal falls through. I always make sure that I'd be okay if the person on the other end was unable to fulfill their side of the agreement before I agree to anything. (This applies also for exchanges with friends and others that I trust, since not all failures to fulfill IOUs are malicious.)

I don't currently owe out any IOUs to people, as I haven't found anything for trade I was interested in enough to make an IOU.

The IOU I am currently owed was too good a deal to pass up, and not much of a loss on my end if it never materializes (although I am sincerely hoping that it does at some point).

the only problem i have with IOUs is figuring out the line between keeping the other trader up to date on how the IOUs are comming and bugging them too much  lol

Actually it's easy to keep people in the loop without having to bug them. I keep a post on one of the lineage threads that has all my gifting promises and trade IOUs information neatly organized and I include a link to that post in my signature for easy finding/access. When I do breedings I edit the post to reflect the most current information regarding any breeding that pertains to something on my gifting/iou list. This way I am not filling up my PM box or someone else's with multiple messages. The other person can look up the post to see where things stand at any time of day or night.

For the IOUs only (not the gifting lists) if for some reason a pair is being exceptionally difficult and I've gone through 4-6 breedings with no results, then as a back up I will send a PM just letting them know I haven't forgotten them (in case they haven't been checking on the post updates).

I also keep an exact copy of the current post edit in a text file because you never know when a lineage thread will get cleaned out. If that happens I can easily copy it to a new post and update my signature link. smile.gif

I took one IOU so far, and it was a pleasant experience. Though I'm not quite sure about who I can trust and who I better steer clear off. I'm not sure if I want to accept another one after all what I've read on the forum now.

I used to take IOU's and didn't have any trouble until a player didn't honor her IOU and even ignored the pm's I sent her sleep.gif so now I don't take IOU's. I may offer IOU's if I'm very desperate for a specific kind of dragon happy.gif but I make sure I don't offer anything that would be too troublesome to honor since I don't want to end up owing anyone wink.gif

We've rather been warned off it... I only accept/offer them with people I KNOW.

Same here. I offer and accept IOUs only when it's between me and my friends. I rather don't trust anyone else. :c

I've given a few IOUs, and I think I only took one in a mutual IOU.

I try to keep it at one person per breedable dragons, only do it with proven pairs (tried to breed and got no refusal), or I make sure the other person knows the dragons are unproven and is willing to settle on something else from my scroll if they absolutely refuse. Also, I'm doing it mostly with pretty good breeders, who give my eggs at least 80% of the time.

Of course I'd accept IOU's, if I feel like I can trust the other person - they give me information about what pairs they have that can produce the egg I want, and have some idea what they are doing on DC.

I don't think I would trust people with them... not necessarily that I don't trust them, but it's so hard to breed what you want lately it seems.

I would totally offer IOUs if someone saw something they like on my scroll though (like if they want me to try and breed two of my dragons or something), as long as they're active people who will not take 12 hours to accept it.

Edited by Fran27

I give and take IOU's.

It's a learning experience.

I've learned I need to keep more detailed notes on IOU trades.

I've learned I should not give IOU's on time sensitive breedings (seasonals or holiday offspring) because that's just when the dragons will suddenly stop producing eggs.

I've learned some people are extremely nice when an IOU falls apart because of refusals or other things that come up. (Bless you, you know who you are)

I've learned that some people are not conscientious about following through on IOUs, while other people will do everything they can to make good on their promises, even if it means renegotiating for something else they can deliver on if their dragons aren't cooperating.

For the most part it's been a positive experience.

I have made two IOUs, one of many BBWs and one of a birthday gift Gold, and I'm still slowly paying off that BBW IOU. xP I never expected to always be egglocked, so now it's when I have room that I pay it off a little. Sorry about that, and hopefully when I get my next trophy soon I'll be able to finish it and space out my locking.

I make IOUs only when I'm really desperate - less because I take an issue to long-term committment and more because I take an issue to it being long-term for the recipient. I'm greatly uneasy about making people wait. I try to be as quick about paying off IOUs as I possibly can. (I've gotten complimented on my speed a few times before, which is always nice; but when it's just one specific breed request and the pair is being stubborn... I can't do anything about that. v_v)

I commonly let people know each time I breed a requested pair, regardless the result. No one's told me to shut up about it just yet, and I've been complimented about my rigor, so I'll be doing more of that in future (unless, of course, I'm asked not to xd.png).

I take IOUs all the time, from practically any source and for practically anything. When I'm next doing a round of League trades, I intend to encourage IOU offers more - the trouble with asking for hatchlings is that few people have many disposable ones at hand. ^_~ I've had only one person who owed me something vanish, which was a shame, but at large, I feel I've had good experiences.

At time of posting, I have no IOUs I need to fulfill, but there are two I'm currently owed. They're metallic IOUs, though, and I know they take forever, so I'm not worried at all. smile.gif I don't check up on the people owing me things; I figure they'll let me know if there are problems. ^-^

I still take IOUs. The only IOU I have open where someone owes me something I accepted within the last hour. I can be patient with IOUs, and I'm not particularly picky. This IOU is for five CB hatchlings of any breed on my wishlist. Makes it easy on the person delivering the IOU (whatever they can catch, no worries about things suddenly going rare) and it takes some pressure off me in attempting to fulfill my scroll goals (because I want a lot of dragons).

I also give out IOUs, less commonly. The only open IOU where I owe someone something is for a tinsel. The pair hasn't breed any tinsels yet, but they've bred quite a few ridgewings so it's only a matter of time. I don't generally update on my breeding attempts, but I will periodically toss a nice-lineaged something-or-other this person's way with a note stating this is a thank-you for their patience, and that I'm still working on the IOU. I did not take the IOU until the pair had a successful non-refusal breeding.

I'm not very fond of IOU's but I do take and give them.

I'm more likely to take an IOU than I am to give one. And I am extremely patient when it comes to waiting for one. If an IOU on my part takes too long I will usually try and breed that person something else in the meantime to make up for it.

The only reason I don't like giving IOU's so much is because it once took me about 3(ish) months to fulfill one. And it was from a Tinsel! It finally took me switching partners around to find one that the Tinsel actually liked breeding with. >.>

But the person was very very patient and I am extremely grateful to her for being so.

I rarely do IOUs. The one IOU I did, I paid off (2nd gen. PB silver) and I think I also did a Vday dragon IOU. And most of the time, the people do pay me back their IOUs to me.

But I don't like using IOUs and try to avoid it.

Also, the people who ask for 13 IOUs of so-and-so dragon/egg, just what the-. Really?

I am really nervous of IOUs, so in general, I don't make them OR take them. If I do make a promise to someone however, I try to make sure that they are paid back the same day as when the IOU was made. By that I mean, as fast as I can, as soon as the agreement is made. If I catch an egg that same day, but it won't be ready until the next day, I send them the lineage link so that they can see their egg IS actually on my scroll for them.

I don't make promises when it comes to my Metallics or other rares, and I won't take IOUs for others' Metallics or other rares.

I guess I do have an exception, and that is for Holidays. I will gift out IOUs for those players that are missing whichever Holiday breeds for whichever Holiday is coming up.