arlymaye

IOU - Breeding Promises

I have an IOU I am trying to pay off, if my silly dragons will cooperate! And then I have made a small tinsel list, and I am sure those people have thought I have forgotten about them...but I haven't!! lol My tinsels have also refused to produce tinsel eggs since I received them. *slaps forehead* haha. I don't make iou promises often, but if you find a trustworthy person, they are worth it!

I give and take them, within reason.

I trade eggs for hatchlings, so I don't mind taking IOUs on those, since I generally only ask for commons. As far as giving them, only really for Tinsels, and that's because I usually don't have mass amounts of one common and get somewhat desperate when I see a good offer crop up. xd.png

As someone else said, I'll trust anyone once. :3 Though I always take care of my end, as fast as possible. x3

I have an IOU I am trying to pay off, if my silly dragons will cooperate! And then I have made a small tinsel list, and I am sure those people have thought I have forgotten about them...but I haven't!! lol My tinsels have also refused to produce tinsel eggs since I received them. *slaps forehead* haha. I don't make iou promises often, but if you find a trustworthy person, they are worth it!

It's a DC-wide Tinsel conspiracy. Whenever you give out an IOU for one of their kind, they blatantly refuse to produce.

That's what mine do, anyways. *Pokes Pwn'd and Barty*

I actually made my first big IOU last night, & happily enough I am already able to pay back on my end.

I currently owe someone a Tinsel-fail, Terrae egg, they gave me a CB Red hatchie for one that is female-influenced.

I will breed my Tinsel as soon as I'm unlocked and will give the user that fail hatchie accordingly. I've never owed someone an IOU before, but I intend to keep my word. wink.gif

I have a couple of IOU in and a couple out. So far, the experience have been pleasant. I am happy when I get my IOU but happiest when I am able to fulfill one. biggrin.gif

I understand that everyone who accepts an IOU takes it with a risk. I just had a recent experience when a user whom I traded an IOU with went AWOL on me and refuses to answer my PM but is still actively trading in the forum. Grrr ... anyway, what comes around goes around so you know that you'll reap what you sow. xd.png

I very rarely take or give IOUs, simply because they're not reliable in my eyes. One's capability to fulfill said IOU is bound to the whims of dragons and their ratios. It took me over a month to fulfill one simply because the dragon refused to breed the specific egg I needed it to, while someone else I know is still struggling to breed a certain stripe because the breeding rates happened to plummet shortly after the IOU was given out.

The threat of the other person simply not returning their end of the trade also exists, of course, and I don't like forcing that on other people either.

THIS! This, this, this!

(That looks silly when repeated like that wink.gif

Anyway, yes, I've got tinsel lists that I fully WILL fulfill when my tinsels cooperate. They are determined to thwart my plans.

When I first got them I was all full of "oh yes, I WILL give tinsels". Now, it's more like "I'll give when they give me tinsels to give". I've had to close my gifting/trading lists and feel like a heel when another week of fail eggs happens.

One person I promised long ago has already received and raised other tinsels and I've not been able to give their egg for over 2 - 3 months.

I've tried every trick I know, added Fertility, changed partners, given extra time before breeding after cooldown. It is absolutely frustrating.

I promised someone an ice to thank her for an egg for my project. Well, the only Ice I could give her was a TGT FFA offer: I asked the breeder to pass it to her. laugh.gif

I see that many players do take IOUs or give out breeding promises. How often do you do it (if you do it at all) and have you pay off your debts yet? [/b]

I take them, because I'm often either locked or close to it, or else have waited too long to offer something for trade and thus need to get it to a new home before the receiver is able to breed me what I want.

I only make them in the general sense, though -- at least once, when I knew someone was looking for a specific egg and offering something I wanted, but my breeding attempt didn't pan out, I gave them a 'promise' along the lines of, "I will keep trying, and let you have first dibs on the egg if I get one; and then we'll work out what you can give me in return".

I have a question of IOU etiquette: Some days ago I gave my IOU to somebody in exchange for a bred egg, they wanted some CB common gendered hatchlings, so I promised to get them. I caught the eggs, influenced and incubated them, let them hatch, got them enough views to gender (to make sure influence hadn't failed) and now I have some common hatchlings in my scroll that are due to grow up in a day or less. I want to fulfill my IOU, but the person hasn't answered my last two messages, including the one with the teleport link. So, if the hatchlings end up growing up in my scroll, will my IOU be fulfilled or should I go through all the catching, influencing and hatching again?

I have a question of IOU etiquette: Some days ago I gave my IOU to somebody in exchange for a bred egg, they wanted some CB common gendered hatchlings, so I promised to get them. I caught the eggs, influenced and incubated them, let them hatch, got them enough views to gender (to make sure influence hadn't failed) and now I have some common hatchlings in my scroll that are due to grow up in a day or less. I want to fulfill my IOU, but the person hasn't answered my last two messages, including the one with the teleport link. So, if the hatchlings end up growing up in my scroll, will my IOU be fulfilled or should I go through all the catching, influencing and hatching again?

Have you attempted to contact them through email in addition to PMs? Sometimes people check email more than a forum PM.

My way of thinking overall...

When fullfilling an IOU.. I provide teleport links to a person as the dragon(s) reaches whatever stage was promised. Depending on their scroll space there might be a single link for a group of dragons, or individual links to each dragon from a group (in case they can't take on a full group at once... they can collect one at a time as space opens up). Once teleport links are provided, I have technically full-filled my end of the deal. It is up to them to "remember" to collect their owed dragons before time runs out and they grow up. If they do not collect them in time they can't really complain that they didn't get what was promised. Under some circumstances, I understand life can get in the way so if the dragons are something that can be easily replaced, I would probably go ahead and do another batch to make up for it just to be nice. If I am being nice and replacing what they didn't collect the first time around, but I also have other IOUs pending to other people - those people's IOUs would get priority and I would only work on the replacement dragons as time/space permitted.

I used to do a lot of breeding IOUs/gifting promises but for most dragons I simply won't/can't do them anymore - certain dragons simply won't produce.

I have one out for some (edit: catchable new dragon) hatchies, but I only took it on because (let me qualify in case Murphy's listening, lol) it seems certain that I'll be able to fill my side of the bargain promptly.

I've had a number of dragons tied up for months trying to produce for people, and it's really embarrassing...

Edited by Syphoneira

My advice to anyone who does use IOU's or is thinking about it -

MAKE A LIST

actually, make 2 lists.

A list of what you need to breed/catch, quantity, is there a deadline? and who it's for (very important! wink.gif )

and

A list of what you are owed from whom.

Put the need to breed/catch list in priority order, and keep it up to date. Trust me, it'll be worth it. wink.gif

TD.x.

Edited by Twilightdreamer1979

I actually use my PM buddies list for this. It wouldn't help for complex IOUs, but it's good enough to track the people who owe me things, and the very rare times I owe someone else something.

I haven't had any problems with IOUs in the past (in fact, all that I've given/received have been awesome successes) but I recently got burned on a trade; gave someone a CB Black hatchling and they've already bred 2 of the eggs that were promised to me and traded them away to other people, and refuse to answer PMs. Kinda puts one off IOUs sad.gif I definitely will continue to do them with people I trust, but probably not ever going to accept them from a stranger again.

I actually use my PM buddies list for this. It wouldn't help for complex IOUs, but it's good enough to track the people who owe me things, and the very rare times I owe someone else something.

This.

I haven't used this much before, but it's easier for simple IOUs that you owe out especially. For ones I'm owed I generally prefer to keep a more detailed record.

(The reason being I can put down the name of a dragon in my pm file and recognize it immediately if it's mine, whereas I don't memorize the names of other people's dragons and they often change them.)

I have just made an IOU for breeding some of my dragons

it is my first time and think it easy enough...other than the refusals and I need to wait a week to try again. I got 3 of the 6 for a silver tinsel done

and when I am done with those I will be doing colored stripes, I offered to do one of each color and intend to try to get even more so the person can mix and match them with no inbreeding. I know stripes are hard to do right now, but for a bronze tinsel it is well worth the breeding and I get to help knock out a wishlist biggrin.gif

Reminder: Members accept IOU's at their own risk, we at DC are not responsible for any agreements made between members.

In general, the only IOU I will NOT make would be for a Holiday egg. I prefer to throw them to the AP for the hunters.

Anything else tho, is fair game. I try not to make/take too many IOUs at a time, and pay them off ASAP.

Most of what I do tho is simple Breeding Requests. Folk PM me, I breed the pairs they ask for and send them the egg when I get one. I keep meticulous notes, so I know who wants what, and what I owe to whom. Call me silly, but I've always preferred gifting over trading.

I haven't taken any IOUs yet but I probably will take one once in a while because most of my rares won't produce.

...wait, I think I did take an IOU like two weeks ago... Okay. I do take IOUs.

I do take IOUs. Generally anything that someone wants.

But I don't make IOUs.

I agree with the mods--you really have to have a good handle on the player you're dealing with. Someone with a good reputation you know is going to honor their end of the deal no matter how long it takes. But, you must be willing to wait -- sometimes for months before they may be able to fulfill their IOU depending upon the difficulty of their breedings i.e metallics for instance we all know what a pain they've been to try and breed lately. I do give out IOU's on gifting but the members waiting are usually waiting on metallics (primarily silvers since I have a lot more of those) and I was lucky enough to breed one the other day for the first member awaiting their first silver.

When I do a trade, the most of times it will became a IOU. Why?? Because when breeding my part of the trade, my dragons aren't cooperative and start whining about their headache dry.gif

Luckily the next week they breed, so everything always end in the good way. Once my pairs kept up with no interess, so the poor one had to wait more than two weeks, but at last I made it.

When I take an IOU, I can't sleep until I give them what I promised!

I hope that people, reading about my spiteful dragons, will not refuse a trade with me! Even if it will be the case (it's not always in this way!) I'll keep on stressing them for give you an egg. It's a matter of honor for me! You'll always have what I promised to you! happy.gif

When I do a trade, the most of times it will became a IOU. Why?? Because when breeding my part of the trade, my dragons aren't cooperative and start whining about their headache  dry.gif

Luckily the next week they breed, so everything always end in the good way. Once my pairs kept up with no interess, so the poor one had to wait more than two weeks, but at last I made it.

When I take an IOU, I can't sleep until I give them what I promised!

I hope that people, reading about my spiteful dragons, will not refuse a trade with me! Even if it will be the case (it's not always in this way!) I'll keep on stressing them for give you an egg. It's a matter of honor for me! You'll always have what I promised to you! happy.gif

Although, the majority of IOU's are honored (no matter how long it takes) there are still the minority that somehow "forget" over time that they, in fact, do owe you an egg. A the saying goes...a few bad apples and, at that point, what recourse do you really have? That's why the oath really isn't worth the breath spent taking it because it all comes down to the integrity of the member you are dealing with.

Edited by Misha