arlymaye

IOU - Breeding Promises

I've taken IOUs, but rarely. I'll take an IOU of a few ER hatchies for a silver or something sometimes, and I took an IOU of a Holly, though that fell through the past two years.

I've promised plenty of IOUs for Holidays, but not so much as actual trades. I've taken an IOU for a Yulebuck that fell through, luckily both ends of the trade were IOU. I gave an IOU of a pumpkin to a few people to raise pygmies as mates for the pumpkins. I ended up giving them all (except 1) PBs instead. smile.gif They were happier with those. I also sort of did an IOU to get my first few rares. (not the first, the first was a gift. The next few were trades for ER hatchies)

I have IOU's outstanding in both directions. However I don't often write down what is owed to me so if someone doesn't pay me back, I won't remember.

On the other end, I think I'm down to four that I need to pay off, and hopefully I won't take anymore. But it sure is hard to turn down a chicken.

I am sooooooo glad them Marrows are not available anymore (at least not until October!) but chickens...well, you're on your own girl but I know you are good on all your IOUs.

I've occasionally given breeding IOUs, though not particularly often and usually only ones that I know I can fill within a reasonable amount of time. Usually I wait until I've successfully bred something to offer it.

I know that once teleport is up and running, though, I will be doing a ton more gifting, both spur-of-the-moment and pre-planned.

I don't take IOU nor do I make IOU if it's a rare dragon that I know will take a while to breed. wink.gif

IOUs, mainly only for gifting purposes. There has been one case I did IOU for trading, but not often.

Edited by Dashidragon

I don't really trade, so it's largely not been an issue for me in the 'accepting' direction.

In the 'making' direction... I don't do that. I breed on request, but if I can't breed what the person asks for when they ask for it, I tell them they'd best ask again in exactly a week if they're still interested. I'm not going to keep a list of who wanted what from me and then harass people about taking eggs when I manage to produce them - I don't like holding eggs for others and locking myself and I don't like having to ask people if they still want whatever it is.

Don't think I've done an IOU before.... Although I might with my holly... (And of course the people who haven't repaid me their IOUs. >_>)

Hmm, I really haven't been offered an IOU I don't think. I haven't traded in a very very long time and have received a gift once but no IOUs. Unless we are counting breeding requests as IOUs? I've done breeding requests for others and they have gone well. Sometimes a week late because of stubborn dragons, though thankfully I have only been asked for common/uncommon dragons so it can be fullfilled soon enough.

I have put up an open IOU but I have been reconsidering it, as Christmas won't be for a long time and I would feel terrible if my girl didn't come through. I also figure I might be able to catch the last breeds I want if I simply wait and keep looking. *shakes fist at AP* Plus, I would like to FFA her children like I do with all my rares.

Honestly I don't know if I would accept an IOU for an extremely rare or holiday dragon, sometimes the wait is so long. I am always super surprised when any of my LAZY metallics produce, I would hate to make someone wait on them. xd.png

Like tiktokism, I don't trade very often, so this isn't much of a problem for me.

I've never accepted an IOU because I've never been offered one; I probably wouldn't accept, tho, because I know how finicky dragons can be and I know that promising a specific egg will most likely guarantee those dragons won't make eggs. lol

I breed for other people sometimes, but if someone asks and I breed and get no eggs, I just tell them that. I don't think I'd feel comfortable giving an IOU because I'd feel pressured/obligated to breed every single week right on time until I get that egg, and I don't usually breed on a schedule.

I barely breed for myself; I prefer to catch what I need off the cave and AP, including rares. So fortunately, this is not a problem for me.

Arlymaye, I hope you clear out your stack!

An "I.O.U."...as in, a paper promising to GIVE/GIFT someone a certain egg? Im kinda my "own" person re: gifting..but if a FRIEND asks for a certain BRED EGG..no problem..if a member asks me out of the blue for something thats special..I NOT leaning towards just being a gift it all away & then ...OOPS!

THATS MY SPECIAL EGG(s)...ONLY a FRIEND(REAL!!!) buddy would even be offerred..my buds wont usually ask unless offerred first..in which case,I DO make certain limits..Im not Santa,but I do try to gift generously to others without.

Rockin' On

I have never received/made an IOU, but I can tell you that I would be uncomfortable in making and receiving them. If I had to make an IOU, I would do my best to fulfill my promise, but up until it is fulfilled, I would feel as if it were a burden (especially if it involves hunting rares) and I might start thinking that the other person is suspecting me of not holding up my end of the bargain if my breeding pairs refuse to cooperate, or something along those lines.

If someone else offered an IOU…well, trusting people has never been one of my strong points. But if their credentials were good, I would be able to sleep at night without too much worry. smile.gif

I'm scared of them and trading.

I want to make in IOU... but if it gets lost....

I still have to pay back a few IOU's, usually with my metallics and trios, which makes it hard to pay them back, and makes it slightly annoying because when I finally breed a metallic, I have to give it away sleep.gif

This.

Alternatively, if it's something where I'm half-inclined to gift the thing to them, I then don't much care if I'm ever repaid or not, so I'll accept an IOU even from someone who may not be able to deliver until we've both long forgotten.

Making IOUs:

...I still try to avoid it, if for no other reason than that I dislike having to hold eggs for days at a time when I'd rather be breeding and catching for myself. *shrug*  Selfish, but I always start thinking about the one time with the alt... that situation drove me nuts, because I really, really wanted to repay him and couldn't.

And these.

I have made and accepted IOUs, but only very rarely, in extreme circumstances. I don't like having the destination of my breeding pre-determined far into the future, like tends to happen with rares. If it takes that long to breed the foolish egg, I want to keep it by then, not give it away. I do give it away, of course, if it was an IOU, but it's frustrating.

I've also had the problem with not being able to deliver a filled IOU -- and with a neglected hatchling, of all things! So then I had the IOU hanging over me for even longer, until I successfully made another neglected.

Usually, I'll only accept IOUs if it's not a big deal. I traded a V-day egg for an IOU this year, and happily it's already been filled, but if it had taken so long that we'd forgotten, well, it'd have been a shame, but I wanted the egg to find a good home, which it did, so it wouldn't have been too awful. The only other IOUs I tend to take are for common hatchlings, which are easy enough to catch/breed, and the person just doesn't have at that specific time -- though I still prefer to get the trade done at once, even so. Less to remember is so much easier, and doesn't require scheduling times to be unlocked/online.

I probably would take IOUs but I don't trade that much and aren't that much of a risk-taker... I think I wouldn't make IOUs that I wouldn't be able to pay off easily.

I would definitely (with an I, not an A) take one if I was offered a CB Gold in return. But alas, I don't think that will ever happen. xd.png

I have never received/made an IOU, but I can tell you that I would be uncomfortable in making and receiving them. If I had to make an IOU, I would do my best to fulfill my promise, but up until it is fulfilled, I would feel as if it were a burden (especially if it involves hunting rares) and I might start thinking that the other person is suspecting me of not holding up my end of the bargain if my breeding pairs refuse to cooperate, or something along those lines.

If someone else offered an IOU…well, trusting people has never been one of my strong points. But if their credentials were good, I would be able to sleep at night without too much worry. smile.gif

This.

I would gladly receive IOUs from people i've already traded with. And from ARK listed members. As for the others... no way. I've met enough swindlers here as it is.

Making an IOU would be a burden on me too. Especially if i promised a Holiday egg. Guess i'd be too afraid of forgetting to breed my dragons. xd.png

Bleh, I hate trading. The meeting is such a pita (that's my word for something that's a royal pain). So, IOUs aren't really a problem. I'll take them, but won't rush people nor actually expect it. I like random gifting out of the blue better.

*looks at sig* oh, er- that's a special circumstance. Hey, can't get that on my own, and winter won't last forever. Still hate meeting, though. RL always seems to interrupt at just the right time. dry.gif

I prefer to gift rather than take IOU's for my eggs, I don't expect anything in return. smile.gif

I have made IOU's with a couple of people on DC in exchange for their eggs. I keep a record on my profile of what the IOU is, until I pay it off, to remind myself and keep the other person informed if they want to look.

I don't do IOUs in either direction.

I usually gift what eggs I have instead of trading them. If I trade, I only trade with things that are actually there on my scroll at the given time.

I don't make IOUs because I can't ever determine the outcome of specific breeding, especially when it comes to Golds and Silvers (which I haven't bred for almost 2 years now!) so...

Haven't made or accepted any IOU's, I don't really trade at all. Closest thing to trading I've done is gifting, when teleport is implemented this may change. I prefer to catch things myself, it may take longer but then I wouldn't have to rely on someone else's time, luck and/or expertise in catching or breeding something, not to mention I can't exactly cheat myself out of something. I would feel quite ripped off if I accepted an IOU promise and their half was never fulfilled (I doubt I'd accept IOU's of any rares, commons on the other hand probably).

However, if I ever trade anything I would probably accept an IOU if that person has a genuine offer or doesn't already have some of the dragons of the type of egg/hatchie I happen to be trading. I'd rather gift eggs or hatchies though, less worries at the moment for lost in trades and the other person would probably appreciate it more if they aren't held by an IOU agreement.

Hmm, I've made an IOU for my next bred trio. I hope I can get the egg to my trade partner soon. Well, not really trade partner, they held an egg for me. Still.

So tempted to make an IOU though... D: