sapphiredragon73

Horses

When I was four, my parents took me to see the Dreamworks animated film Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron. Dreamworks was kind of amateur then, and Mom and Dad didn't expect much of it. But it turned out to be life-changing for me- ever since then, i have been, mm, obsessed. Even at twelve my heart perks up at the sight of a horse. When i was nine, ten, eleven, i collected Breyer horses (ever heard of em?) and they are sitting on the shelf behind me right now.

i simply adore horses. they are possibly my favorite animal. whenever i get the chance i ride them, pet them, feed them, stand by the fence and watch them...my only wish for most of my childhood was my very own horse. but i live in a suburban area, so that ain't happenin'... D:

i reeeally love horses.

I love horses, and always wanted to do somthing like a horse camp but my mom wont let me cuz im allergic, but not that bad but the thing is my dad HATES animals. I cant put enough emphasis on the word 'hate' cuz he would rather have no animals alive other than those whitch he eats or makes things that he eats. sad.gif

I love 'em. <3

Plan to get my own as soon as I'm fairly financially independent.

I am that kind of person where horses went from beeing a hobby, to beeing a way of life rolleyes.gif

I started ride horses before i was five, and im now 32, and have been a horseowner the last 10-12 years.

By now i have two, an elderly mare and her two year old son.

The mare i have sort of given to friend of mine, and i train the stallion myself.

He is gonna be a racehorse, and need lots of both tlc and training before he gets ready for racing.

They both are Norwegen coldblooded trotters.

He is quite special to me, in fact...

When the mare where in labour with him, she got trouble getting him out, and we nearly lost them both. Luckily i have been assisting in sheep-birth for many years, so i was able to assist the mare as well. I had to turn the foal around inside her, becourse he was in the wrong position to get out.

And when i finally got him out, he looked at me even before he got to meet his momma...

I named him Viking, both becourse he had a rough ride getting into the world, but also becourse he is a tough guy, even thoug he is a very well behaved stallion cool.gif

Here is Viking about six months ago(1 1/2 year old).

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Lene...en/IMG_9567.jpg

And here he is with his mother, Tuva, just the day after he is born.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Lene...ng/IMG_3043.jpg

First time he had this on laugh.gif

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Lene...ng/IMG_3006.jpg

And for those who do not know what kind of racing the coldblooded horses do, here a pic of my last horse, Knekten, who i sadly had to put down after he got an injury that could not be healed. This is from one of his many races, and here he got in second. He is the horse in the middle of the pic. smile.gif

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Lene...en/P6010012.jpg

And just after the race.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Lene...nekten_1994.jpg

He was a beaty as well...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Lene...g-tuva-28-6.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Lene...g-tuva-28-4.jpg

Edit for changing pics to urls.

Edited by Leneth.

I started riding western style when I was 3, so 10 years of riding on May 5th. We have 10 horses, several of which are mine, and several donkeys and a mule(lol).

user posted image

From left to right, Mac and Sly. Mac is a yearling, and Sly is 2, I just started training them both. They're POA geldings, quarter horse mothers. They both have good racing and performance lines.

I barrel race on Rip(aka Bearly Boy), Gray(aka Eye Opener Sail), and we also have Tinkerbell, Hollywood, and Maggie, Spazzy and Bucky. And of course Mac and Sly, but technically they're POAs so lol. ^^ Plus the donkeys Poncho, Little Cody, Chip, and Jenny. The gigantic mule is named Red. Tinkerbell is a good western pleasure horse. All of them have done at least minor barrel racing. Rip and Gray have been to Youth World NBHA with me, and Tinkerbell has been to Youth with another girl, and Gray and Rip both went to Open World NBHA with my brother and mother.

:3 Horses are the best :3 I want to learn to jump sometime, but really I do barrels, speed events, and roping. ^^

@Leneth: I;m totally with you on the way of life thing!! ^^ Viking is very pretty! :3

Edited by LightningRip

*lol*

I the stable where i have my horses now, there are several kinds of ridingstiles.

We have several racehorses/trotters, and we have some western-horses, also Quarter. And there is one dressage-horse, and several horses thats just are beeing taken for walks just for the fun of it tongue.gif

My mare is in the last group, and my stallion in the first.

I used to have my horses at home, and had horses in training as well, but we sold land, and by now we dont have enough land to keep horses at home anymore.

I miss having them at home, but still, its nice with the company in the stable as well, i have missed that when i was walking around here at home alone. rolleyes.gif

LightningRip, those horses are just really gorgeous! I like that kind of colors, where it looks like someone poured a bucket of pain over the horses rare end biggrin.gif

Edited by Leneth.

My grandparents live in a very rural area of Wales (on a cliff xd.png) and they rent out their fields to the neighbouring studfarms. About 2 years ago, as we were driving down to my grandparents from England (a 6hour journey, give or take), one of the horses they were watching had a foal.

So the little filly was only a few hours old when we saw her, sooo cute! She was pure black, but her mother was a very white looking grey, so the little girl would lighten.

This year, Darkie was back! They had her and three other ponies in the closest field, all of them were 2-year-olds. She's got a little bit light in places, and she's very sweet happy.gif. We were sad to leave.

I love blowing into horses' noses as well. It lets them trust you more, and they smell amazing wub.gif .

They're pretty cool animals, they are better than pigs.

Aswell, i'm a fox but horses are my food but i'm trying to control my conscience.

Ahhhhh yes...the noble horse.

I've been very fortunate in my life to have horses. I raise, show, and breed them. I had one AQHA Youth Supreme Champion (outta over six million registered!) - she's over the Rainbow Bridge now, as she was my horse during my youth years so long ago.

I've also raised and trained two PHBA Hall of Fame (highest money/point earners in the history of the breed) and now I show three offspring of one of them (Tiffany).

Ace is my current partner and has won several World and National Championships. He is a charmer and has a wonderful disposition.

As for the smell.......ahh - nothing sweeter! biggrin.gif

I get a bit nervous around horses, I'm not sure why. I'm fine with other large-ish animals like cows, but horses make me paranoid.

I go riding once a week, but it isn't really enough for me. Luckily, my friend weekend-leases every other weekend, and I sometimes go with her. And she might be getting one horse - and she says that if she gets one horse, she'll probably get another, which means = Mackenzie and I going off, and doing horsey things together ^^

Edited by Chicogal

Aswell, i'm a fox but horses are my food but i'm trying to control my conscience.

Given that, last time I checked, a fox is so much smaller than a horse it poses no threat whatsoever I don't think you need to worry about it.

wow there's actually a horse thread on here biggrin.gif I've been riding since I was 7, but have only officially been taking riding lessons for about 5 years. My barn isn't the best, so I'm behind in my progress, but I have to deal. I'm currently half-leasing a 5 year old off the track thoroughbred gelding named Trenton <3 he's such a grump, but so good when your riding him. Nothing phases him. Oh but of course, he can't jump (yet) -.- just like every horse at my stable, except Frank...evil little pony has the nicest jump ever...but has gotten so bad he tries to throw you if you ask for anything more than a trot. Aha he's thrown me twice. Wow and I need to stop talking loll I guess I just love horses too much, I can't stop talking 'bout them *oh the laughs*

Wow a horse thread! How'd this slip by me? xd.png

Anywho, I've been riding for nearly 13 years, finally got my own horse back in Christmas 09! He's an 11 year old Paint/Quarter horse and is probably the best horse I've ever ridden, he's got such a personality and a very pretty jump, he can clear up to 3'6'', but I've only gotten to 3' so far when my friend and I were playing chase me charlie one day, lol

I do mostly hunters, but I've been trying jumpers with a little paso cross mare named Princess. She's got such an amazing jump, but she needs an attitude adjustment (will try to kick and bite, but she respects me enough). I also occasionally ride my friend's 17 year old Hanoverian named Moola. How he moves, he looks like an 8-9 year old smile.gif

And I'll stop talking now before I name all the horses in the barn!

Well... I must say I have lots of knowledge about them. smile.gif I've been riding since I was eight and I've seen a horse born. I'd really like to open a horse rescue someday. smile.gif They're definitely my passion. Of course, not to mention dogs...

I love Horses. I own a mini named Winchester. My first, and I hope only horse, and say that since horses are a lot of work, and if they have an attitude like mine. My brother got him off a lady who was moving and could not keep him. At first he did not want him, but he was in such a small cage he could not move, and was dirty and matted. So my brother felt bad for the poor thing and got him for $75. Since then he has been the most happy spoiled horse. Got him a big pen in our barn, and built him a new fenced in area so he can run around all day. Perhaps I would want another one so he has a friend, but a more tame one that wont bite.

Here he is!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/Xbe...ts/105_2208.jpg

I am obsessed with horses. I cant have one of my own *le sigh* but I work at my barn for free lessons. I also volunteer at a therapeutic riding center with my friend Alexis. I love everything about horses from the wrinkles on their muzzles to their hooves. While I was on vacation, I got to witness my cousin's horse giving birth. he even let me name the foal. (I named him Ash)

Edited by nuttymeg3

i love horses sooo much! i dont have a horse of my own, but i really want one. i used to go out to a barn 5 times a week during the summer, but only 2 times a week during the school year =(

i havent been able to go to the barn for almost 6 months because i had ankle surgery and my doctor wont allow me to ride until he releases me in about a month and a half... sad.gif its depressing and i was starting to go alot.png farther in jumping, but i can help out at the barn by cleaning stalls and helping out with the horses, so i guess thats a start!

Edited by Dakota124

I started riding western style when I was 3, so 10 years of riding on May 5th. We have 10 horses, several of which are mine, and several donkeys and a mule(lol).

user posted image

From left to right, Mac and Sly. Mac is a yearling, and Sly is 2, I just started training them both. They're POA geldings, quarter horse mothers. They both have good racing and performance lines.

I barrel race on Rip(aka Bearly Boy), Gray(aka Eye Opener Sail), and we also have Tinkerbell, Hollywood, and Maggie, Spazzy and Bucky. And of course Mac and Sly, but technically they're POAs so lol. ^^ Plus the donkeys Poncho, Little Cody, Chip, and Jenny. The gigantic mule is named Red. Tinkerbell is a good western pleasure horse. All of them have done at least minor barrel racing. Rip and Gray have been to Youth World NBHA with me, and Tinkerbell has been to Youth with another girl, and Gray and Rip both went to Open World NBHA with my brother and mother.

:3 Horses are the best :3 I want to learn to jump sometime, but really I do barrels, speed events, and roping. ^^

@Leneth: I;m totally with you on the way of life thing!! ^^ Viking is very pretty! :3

you should start to learn to jump. its alot.png of fun. you feel like you can fly and its really amazing. give it a try sometime and see what you think! if your not afraid of heights and have good balance, go for it!

You're speaking my language! biggrin.gif

I've loved horses ever since I can remember. I've always wanted one, and I've always wanted to ride. They're pretty much my drug.

I'm a barrel racer myself, been doing it for almost 2 years now. Before that I did English for about a year and a half. Western's more fun. tongue.gif

I love TBs, Arabs and Mustangs. At the moment I'm riding a 4 year old Arabian mare named Lexi. I love her to bits. <3

Unfortunately I'm too poor to own a horse myself, but I plan to take an Equine studies major when I go to college and hopefully own horses in the future.

Edited by Black Blaze

I love just about all horses and the more common horse sports - though I admit I no longer care for straight horse racing and prefer show jumping and dressage far more.

When younger I used to rent horses for an hour to ride, then later worked at a theraputic riding farm and had quite a few horses who were my favourites. From there I went to a small hobby farm and helped a dressage instructor with the horses in exchange for lessons.

I stayed there for many years - 10 years, and got to know all the horses quite well training the Halflinger foals and riding the Halflinger stallion Stanwick. In time the lady there gifted me a purebred Arabian she owned ( she had three generations of them on her farm along with the halflingers) Of course Gazelle had to stay there, as I had no room for her where I lived nor did I have the money to own/care for a horse in any way shape or form, but I could go out there when ever I wanted and ride her.

I haven't been able to ride for many years and do miss it. I enjoyed a vacation I took a few years back where I went to Sprucemeadows - the international show jumping area in Calgary Alberta. Lovely place, and I hope to go again!

Recently, went to the show Cavalia, a sort of horse show crossed with Cirque de Solei it tours Canada and the USA - at the moment they are in Calgary and the horses work at liberty for much of the shows. They combine acrobatics, trapeze work with many types of riding - vaulting, dressage, liberty, roman riding, trick riding. The show was spectacular and I'd go to it again if I could.

Edited by Ramica

*ahem* Ponies.

Both ponies and ponies.

Media aside, I like horses overall. There are a lot of beautiful paintings and photos of them, and are iconic in my country's history. Also I've ridden horses a few times, when I leave town every now and again there is a ranch where I have a few friends.

They taught me to ride, actually. And I'll tell ya... falling... is painful.

I've also seen sports professional horse-riding tricks, and I gotta say... impressive.

Edited by Ælex

Well, it'd be strange for me to own a horse and not like it, so the answer to your question would be that I adore horses. biggrin.gif