sapphiredragon73

Horses

Another horse person here- We have a 5 acre farm with a multitude of horses, but only 4 big ones.

I have 2 imported Friesians and a third that is the daughter of one of my imports. (Tirza & Merlin, and Tirza's foal Gwen.) Merlin is a 1st Premi (which means he's a pony adonis) and Tirza is a 2nd Premi (Which means she's a pony demi-goddess.)

I also have my little heart mare Sassy- who is a Morgan/QH cross. She's 23 this year and still going along lovely.

I showed professionally for years, and trained pony hunters, and almost all my beginner kids started on my Sassy horse.

I then slowed down and got more into dressage and most likely will bring my best mare out again for season this year here at WEF. (Wellington Equestrian Festival) Tirza is my main squeeze now, as Sassy is in semi-retirement.

She's schooled to 4th level and does all the tricks, but has only been shown/won in 3rd level.

We also are avidly involved in the SCA, so she's my SCA war mount, and we are both currently in jousting training.

She's a lovely girl and all three are Very friendly and loving.

A pic of us at a local schooling show doing a demo-

user posted image

Merlin

user posted image

Gwen-

user posted image

Family shot-

user posted image

I also raise miniature show horses, and have a few foals every year. I don't have time to show myself anymore, but I send them to the trainer and they do just fine. smile.gif My last colt I sold was the 2011 World Futurity Jr. Stallion champ, which makes me happy.

Always good to see other horse lovers smile.gif

I've only had the chance to ride one once in my lifetime, and It's a shame, really. When I was little, I was completely obsessed with horses, every time I saw a horse toy, I had to get it. I wanted to go to riding lessons but my mother just didn't like the idea as much, maybe because of the money, and I eventually grew out of it. As of today, I still wish I could pay my lessons, or even go to take care of horses, just to have the chance to get used to these animals, but it's difficult where I live.

@Red Mare

The shot of Merlin is breathtaking. All three of your horses are gorgeous -- I've always been a fan of friesians but I'll never have the money for one, unfortunately s: Won't change my appreciation for the breed.

@ Red Mare: OHMIGOD THEY SO PRETTY! wub.gifpoptartFINALTINY.gif

I am going on a nature ride, along with the rest of my fellow horse-riding students. I think it's going to be much harder because horses are going to be more distracted than then training on the special field (does it have a special name? huh.gif I don't know.)

But...every time I go horse-riding, I fall more and more in love with horses. It really makes the difference when you saddle and bridle the horse yourself rather than it is brought to you, fully ready. biggrin.gif One horse I rode with was so big, I couldn't quite reach to put bridles on him...and I'm 6 ft tall. laugh.gif

[/end exalted babble]

Edited by LwyllasLaVey

Thanks for all the love- They know they are the best!

Really the most hilarious is my little old mare.

She is such a old pro that she quickly learned how to snatch ice cream, sandwiches, and hot dogs from the little kids while she was on the show grounds.

When she fails to catch some poor kid off guard, she would "take" her rider for a walk, while waiting outside the ring for her class to start, straight to the closest trash can to scrounge around for fries etc etc.

It was always the job of my head student to keep track of Sassy and her riders (as they were always our littlest and least aware) and make sure she didn't steal food!

As she got older, she got trickier, and would then wait for summer camp gleefully, as she had figured out that lunch boxes would open right up if she flapped them hard enough. Sigh.

But yes, the Friesians are the Diva's of the barn, and they know it. smile.gif Thanks for all the compliments. I tried to keep the pictures to a minimum!

Yeah.

Horse-riding has a dark side as well. Like falling off, horse not obeying you, horse outright attacking you. We went on a nature ride today and when I tried to saddle my horse, she tried to bit me, several times. Thankfully, the only damage she managed to make was to grab my hat and throw it into her bowl when I passed under her neck. I didn't do that again. dry.gif The horse, Adieu, has a phobia for girths. So people have trouble saddling her.

My sister was worse off, though. Her horse stopped to eat all the time and when she (the horse) discovered that others were far ahead of her, she started to gallop and my sister fell off. My sister is quite young, she can't keep the horse under control as good as needed.

Yeah.

Horse-riding has a dark side as well. Like falling off, horse not obeying you, horse outright attacking you. We went on a nature ride today and when I tried to saddle my horse, she tried to bit me, several times. Thankfully, the only damage she managed to make was to grab my hat and throw it into her bowl when I passed under her neck. I didn't do that again. dry.gif The horse, Adieu, has a phobia for girths. So people have trouble saddling her.

My sister was worse off, though. Her horse stopped to eat all the time and when she (the horse) discovered that others were far ahead of her, she started to gallop and my sister fell off. My sister is quite young, she can't keep the horse under control as good as needed.

Do you own the horses? If not, the stable should not be putting said horse on trail rides if she poses a threat to riders. As for your sister, she shouldn't even be letting the horse lower her head in the first place. A horse is only as smart as the person riding it. But still, falling off is pretty traumatic for many people. Any riding instructor I ever had has broken something from falling off a horse, but they got right back on, so I respect that.

I think this time was an exception because we went on a nature ride and the horses were kinda unsettled by that, they're creatures of habit.

Adieu is usually very calm, obedient and experienced horse and she's given to beginners to ride with. It's just her phobia of girths that's annoying. They're working on it. I think it was part of my fault also because, deep down, I'm still a little scared of horses and they sense it and become nervous, too.

And my sister...hmm. She used to ride a different horse than she had today so they weren't very familiar with each other. Her character also made the fall possible; she's she's kinda shy and backs off when she meets a will stronger than hers and she's too weak to exceed control over the horse. The instructor was in front of the row and she was in the back, so the instructor didn't have an eye on her all the times, though she said that we shouldn't let the horses even think about eating.

Thankfully, it all worked out in the end.

Hey, guys... I've seen so many people wearing chaps. According to what I've read, they stop your jodhpurs from wearing out and prevent your legs being pinched by the saddle or something?

I honestly don't see the big deal.

I've never been pinched by the saddle through my jodhpurs, and they look as good as new. :S

Adopting a horse.

Pros/cons? I'm talking behavior and health wise. I don't care about registration and such, I just want to train a trail horse.

I have ridden owned and worked with horses most of my life. I still have my old QH gelding. He gets to stay till he dies, then I likely will not have another till the children are grown.

I have a horse. Well, my mom has one and I ride it every weekend... but I still say he's mine because I can. v.v He's a Norwegian horse, a gelding and he's the sweetest and most beautiful one in the entire wide world. Fact. <3

Edited by Drayanna

Hey, guys... I've seen so many people wearing chaps. According to what I've read, they stop your jodhpurs from wearing out and prevent your legs being pinched by the saddle or something?

I honestly don't see the big deal.

I've never been pinched by the saddle through my jodhpurs, and they look as good as  new. :S

This is such an old post that I doubt the author will ever see my response, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway, lol!

Chaps are typically used for grip - they help you "stick" to the saddle. More common in English style riding are half chaps, which help stabilize your lower leg, but some riders (particularly trainers) will wear full chaps. I've never heard of them being used to prevent jodhpur wear or saddle pinching, although I suppose they could do that. Kind of. But they're intended to be used to aid in gripping the saddle, particularly helpful if dealing with a horse that likes to pull fast ones. tongue.gif

Red Mare, what are your Friesians' lineages?

Meritage is a Tinus PM baby, Tetman line. He's got Laes, Tjimme and Jochem as relatives.

I love horses. They are adorable! smile.gif I want to learn to ride one, but I am afraid of heights and my mom won't let me. dry.gif

Edit: I don't have a favorite. xd.png

Edited by tanglepelt3

horses are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have 2 of my own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! poptartFINALTINY.gif

Yeah.

The barn I ride at has at least two horses that HATE to be groomed and also get nippy with the girth. They start flattening their ears, making faces and swinging their heads around. Normally they don't really try to connect but it has happened.

Both of these horses are also only groomed and tacked by more experienced riders who know how to read their body language. The flip side is that both of these horses are also extremely good mounts who make an excellent stepping stone for advanced beginners to intermediate students. Perfectly well mannered when your in the saddle where it really counts.

Since I know that these two horses are fussy about grooming and tacking I'll brush them with an elbow up so that if the horse suddenly swings his head around he'll bash into my elbow instead of taking a chunk out of me. Also, when tightening the girth I loop the arm nearest to the horses head in the reins and tighten the outside rein so I can feel it when the horse starts to bring his head around and stop him from trying to bite me before he actually does. smile.gif

Kizzikins - yeah, I ride in half chaps and they're definitely more about providing additional grip to the saddle and reinforcing your leg. Since I started riding in them I can't imagine not wearing them while riding now. My cues are stronger and I feel more secure in my seat.

I love horses so much. wub.gif I've been riding for 10 years and I'm absolutely in love with the critters. My family owns, rides, and breaths Andalusians. I'm currently riding/training a 5 year old bay gelding named Bolero, or Bo for short. He's got Bob Marley hair, its so huge I have to arm myself with de-tangler to braid it. His grandsire is Bravio, anyone heard of that gorgeous guy?

Here's the best picture of Bo I currently have on my computer.

user posted image

^ taken right after it rained.

I have others to show but I don't have much time right now. Anyway, I love how much we've bonded. When he's in the pasture and I call, he picks his head up and comes immediately. I don't even need food. laugh.gif It's so heartbreaking when I put him away after a good ride and go to get a peppermint. He looks and waits to see if I come back...and I always do. He neighs for me a lot if I don't come immediately over and adore him the moment I get to the barn. He's probably the best horse I've had, and my trainer says he could do great things in equitation.

Anyone hear about www.howrse.com?

I'm Equidgirl5 on the US server if anyone ever wants to chat, just say you're from DC! xd.png

Edited by HollyTheColliegirl

I love horses so much. wub.gif I've been riding for 10 years and I'm absolutely in love with the critters. My family owns, rides, and breaths Andalusians. I'm currently riding/training a 5 year old bay gelding named Bolero, or Bo for short. He's got Bob Marley hair, its so huge I have to arm myself with de-tangler to braid it. His grandsire is Bravio, anyone heard of that gorgeous guy?

Here's the best picture of Bo I currently have on my computer.

user posted image

^ taken right after it rained.

I have others to show but I don't have much time right now. Anyway, I love how much we've bonded. When he's in the pasture and I call, he picks his head up and comes immediately. I don't even need food. laugh.gif It's so heartbreaking when I put him away after a good ride and go to get a peppermint. He looks and waits to see if I come back...and I always do. He neighs for me a lot if I don't come immediately over and adore him the moment I get to the barn. He's probably the best horse I've had, and my trainer says he could do great things in equitation.

Anyone hear about www.howrse.com?

I'm Equidgirl5 on the US server if anyone ever wants to chat, just say you're from DC! xd.png

He is beautiful :3

I love horses. I took lessons when I was younger, around 11 or so. Only for a few months unfortunately because the stables where I was instructed moved upstate and there were no other places within reasonable driving distance.

My instructors always told me I had good horse sense. Not really sure what they meant, exactly.

I've always wanted to own horses, but I doubt I'll ever had the property to stable them and I just don't trust the local horse boarders around here. I'll have to settle for being a vet and branching into equine medicine.

Ah, I see. X3 I heard something about keeping your leg position secure, but mostly about wear-and-tear on jodhpurs. Lol. Luckily, I normally ride the most comfortable horse at the riding stables. xd.png Also quite lazy. With that combination, there isn't much chance of him taking off and me falling, heh.