mycella

Most memorable book quote's

Ehehe. Speaking of "Euuulaaalliiaaa!!!!" from the Redwall series, I used to pronounce it totally wrong while reading so it morphed into some exotic version of "hallelujah" in my head...

My favorite quote would have to be:

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." From Pride & Prejudice.

Ohohoho! I have a ton from the City of Bones series ;D

"Pretty? Bah, he's gorgeous. You could leave him here. I could hang hats on him and things."

-Magnus Bane, City of Bones.

"I am a man, and men do not consume pink things! Get thee gone, woman, and bring me something brown!"

-Jace Wayland, City of Bones

Isabelle= "How did you get Magnus to let Jace leave?"

Clary ="Traded him for Alec."

Isabelle= "Not permanently?!"

Jace= "No, just for a few hours- unless I don't come back, then maybe he does get to keep Alec."

Isabelle= "Mom and Dad won't be pleased if they find out."

Simon= "That you freed a possible criminal by trading away your brother to a warlock who looks like a gay sonic the Hedgehog and dresses like the childcatcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. No, probably not."

I'll edit this for more. xd.png

AAAND...EDIT ;D

Inquisitor = "The poor parent birds work themselves to death trying to find enough food to feed the enormous cuckoo child who has murdered their babies and taken their places."

Jace =" Enormous? Did you just call me fat?"

Inquisitor ="It was an analogy."

Jace = "I am not fat.

"Yeah, he's terrified I'll tell everyone that he's always really wanted to be a ballerina."

"We're not dating."

"Oh, so you're just that friendly with everyone, I guess?"

-Alec and Magnus Bane, City of Glass.

And of course, a serious one;;

"There is no pretending," Jace said with absolute clarity. "I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I'll love you then."

And moar funnehs.

"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"

"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."

-Jace and Clary, City of Bones

I don't remember the Clave inviting you into the Glass City, Magnus Bane."

They didn't," Magnus said. "Your wards are down."

Really?" the Consul's voice dripped sarcasm. "I hadn't noticed."

Magnus looked concerned. "That's terrible. Someone should have told you." He glanced at Luke. "Tell him the wards are down.

Hurrhurr, maybe I'll stop there. A lot of these are conversations, and even if you don't find them funny (;<<) they're hilarious for me.

Maybe I'm just amused by simple things.

Edited by darkangel787

"I don't believe in faeries!"

Best battlecry I've ever read in a book. From Harry Dresden saga.

Lol!!!

how about ...

I am the foremost collector of velvet Elvii in the city of Chicago.

The plural could be Elvises, i guess, but, if i say that too often i start muttering to myself and calling things "my precious" so i usually go with the Latin plural

The Dresden Files

or "Tinks little red thong!"

Jenks from the series The Hollows, by Kim Harrison

Edited by Twilightdreamer1979

"Next time, Jean, if I ever come up with such a daft plan, make use of one of those excellent hatchets of yours and take it to my head."

"Shame to waste a hatchet on such a thick head."

Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch wub.gif

From Alex Rider: Scorpia Rising

"So that is the famous Alex Rider," Manzour muttered.

*That's right," Byrne said.

It is not my place to say it, but I think that something very bad has happened to that child. Did you see it in his eyes?"

Ten minutes later, Alex had disappeared and at first there was panic among the special forces fighters as they searched for him, wondering what had happened. It was only much later they found him, outside that fort, on his own, kneeling beside a burned-out car

HESTER SHAW.

The Stalker Grike, Mortal Engines.

For those of you who don't know, Mortal Engines is set in a post apocyliptic WWIII destroyed world. Because of the resulting tetictonic upheaval, static cities became impractical. One engineer had the utterly insane idea of putting everything on wheels, so that the cities could move around and literally EAT each other for fuel and supplies. Stalkers were cyborg zombie soldiers developed by a lost culture for use as nearly invincable warriors. The Stalker Grike was the last functioning model, on hire as a mercenary. Despite no longer being human, he found the compassion to save the life of a young girl named Hester Shaw. Her face had been cut in half by a man named Thadius Valentine, who had also murdered Hester's parents for an old tech weapon called MEDUSA. Grike effectivally raised Hester, and trained her as an assistant. Eventually Hester found out that Valentine was aboard the city of London, and snuck away to kill him. However, she was stopped by an apprentice historian named Tom Nastworthy, and the two of them fell off London together. They agree to work together to make it back to London together, but are hunted along the way by none other than Grike, who had fallen into the hands of London's engineers, and was sent to finish them off. wacko.gif

When Grike finally catches up with Tom and Hester at the floating city of Airhaven, he makes his presence known by saying only two words, "HESTER SHAW"

A few favorite book quotes of mine. :3

“Don't be ashamed to weep; 'tis right to grieve. Tears are only water, and flowers, trees, and fruit cannot grow without water. But there must be sunlight also. A wounded heart will heal in time, and when it does, the memory and love of our lost ones is sealed inside to comfort us.” - The Taggerung by Brian Jacques (can't remember who said it, though)

“Even the strongest and bravest must sometimes weep. It shows they have a great heart, one that can feel compassion for others." - Cornflower, from Redwall by Brian Jacques

"There is not a day or night that a doe offers her life for her kittens, or some honest captain of Owsla, his life for his chief. But there is no bargain: what is, is what must be." - Frith, from Watership Down by Richard Adams

"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground." - Cersei Lannister, A Game of Thrones

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

THIS. This made me laugh and laugh and laugh and is possibly my favourite scene from a book everrr. But you have to have some context first if you are unfamiliar with the Dresden Files series xd.png

Context: The eldest and meanest of the Billy Goats shows up to end Harry. In an earlier incident, Harry earned a boon from the Summer court, to which the goat belongs. Harry cannot simply ask for the eldest goat Gruff to abandon the fight since the goat is under direct orders from his Queen of Summer. So this is how Harry chooses to collect on his boon instead:

Harry: “I want you to get me a doughnut. A real, genuine, Chicago doughnut. Not some glamoured doughnut. An actual one. Freshly made.”

Eldest Goat Gruff: “Likest thou jelly within thy doughnut?"

Harry: "Nay, but prithee, with sprinkles 'pon it instead, and frosting of white.”

And so the Gruff leaves the battlefield in search of the donut, the conflict ends and Harry lives to see another day xDDD

THIS. This made me laugh and laugh and laugh and is possibly my favourite scene from a book everrr. But you have to have some context first if you are unfamiliar with the Dresden Files series xd.png

Context: The eldest and meanest of the Billy Goats shows up to end Harry. In an earlier incident, Harry earned a boon from the Summer court, to which the goat belongs. Harry cannot simply ask for the eldest goat Gruff to abandon the fight since the goat is under direct orders from his Queen of Summer. So this is how Harry chooses to collect on his boon instead:

Harry: “I want you to get me a doughnut. A real, genuine, Chicago doughnut. Not some glamoured doughnut. An actual one. Freshly made.”

Eldest Goat Gruff: “Likest thou jelly within thy doughnut?"

Harry: "Nay, but prithee, with sprinkles 'pon it instead, and frosting of white.”

And so the Gruff leaves the battlefield in search of the donut, the conflict ends and Harry lives to see another day xDDD

I had to read and re-read that page several times as I couldn't stop laughing and had TEARS rolls down my face!! xd.pngxd.pngxd.png

OMG I adore "Small Favor"

It's making me smile now just thinking about it..

TD.x.

"Es heißt HOPE", sagte die kleine Königin. "Wie Hoppe, hoppe Reiter."

"Nein", sagte das Rosenmädchen. "Das ist ein englisches Wort. Unser Schiff hieß Hoffnung. Und jetzt lassen wir es zurück."

English translation:

"It's called HOPE", said the Little Queen. "Like Hoppe, hoppe Reiter." [Hoppe, hoppe Reiter is a German song for children]

"No", said the Rose Girl. "It's an English word. Our ship was called 'hope'. And now we're leaving it behind.

The quote is from the German book "Der Märchenerzähler" (The storyteller). One of the most beautiful and saddest books I ever read.

And "The Way of Kings" fro Brandon Sanderson is full of epic quotes I just have to write down:

What honor can we find on a battlefield while our people starve?

"What is madness?"

[...]

"It's when men don't think right."

[...]

"Men never seem to think right."

The book spoke of a king carrying the burdens of his people. It said that those who led where the lowest of men, for they were required to serve everyone.

"What is a man's life worth?" Dalinar asked softly.

"The slavemasters say one is worth about two emerald broams," Kaladin said, frowning.

"And what do you say?"

"A life is priceless," he said immediately, quoting his father.

Besides those, I have a whole bunch of great quotes, but they're all German and my translation skills are awful biggrin.gif

This one requires a bit of an explanation, so I'll do my best:

Pheylan and his doctor sister Melinda have been captured by enemy aliens known as Zhirrzh. But things aren't quiet what they seem. Melinda, trying to let her brother, who just regained consciousness, know this mentions The Three Musketeers.

"We're all playing The Flying Muskers here," [said Melinda].

Pheylan frowned, more confused now than ever. The Flying Muskers had been the private club the three of them had formed with their next-door neighbor Lizza Easley when Pheylan was seven, modeled on their enthusiastic youthful reading of The Three Musketeers. All for one and one for all; and two of the four people present were enemy Zirrzh, and what the h- was going on?

-Conquer's Legacy, Timothy Zahn

That last line is what I wanted to quote: "All for one and one for all; and two of the four people present were enemy Zirrzh, and what the h- was going on?"

It is not epic or anything like that. I think I like it because it is so realistic. That is exactly how my thought process would work, jumping from one thing to another.

Hope this isn't too confusing!

*subscribes to thread* <3

Some of my favorites:

"I'm from New Jersey. I was born in toxic sludge."--Maia, The Mortal Instruments series (probably from City of Ashes)

"The plot thickens."--Sherlock Holmes

The Titan's Curse[/i]]“Let us find the dam snack bar," Zoe said. "We should eat while we can."

Grover cracked a smile. "The dam snack bar?"

Zoe blinked. "Yes. What is funny?"

"Nothing," Grover said, trying to keep a straight face. "I could use some dam french fries."

Even Thalia smiled at that. "And I need to use the dam restroom."

I started cracking up, and Thalia and Grover joined in, while Zoe just looked at me. "I do not understand."

"I want to use the dam water fountain," Grover said.

"And..." Thalia tried to catch her breath. "I want to buy a dam t-shirt.”

“Basically, I have two speeds.... Hostile or smart-aleck. Your choice.”--Maximum Ride

“Because you can't argue with all the fools in the world. It's easier to let them have their way, then trick them when they're not paying attention.”--Brom, Eragon

If you can dream and not make dreams yourr master, if you can think and not make thoughts your aim.

If by Rudyard Kipling:D

I have more but I'll write them down tomorrow if that is ok:D

From "The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms" (N.K.Jemisin)

Right before my eyes she lies, sprawled and naked and bloody

this is not flesh this is all you can comprehend

but it means the same thing as flesh, she is dead and violated, her perfect form torn in ways that should not be possible, should not be and who has done this? Who could have

what did it mean that he made love to me before driving the knife home?

and then it hits me: betrayal. I had known of his anger, but never once did I imagine…never once had I dreamt…I had dismissed her fears. I thought I knew him. I gather her body to mine and will all of creation to make her live again. We are not built for death. But nothing changes, nothing changes, there was a hell that I built long ago and it was a place where everything remained the same forever because I could imagine nothing more horrific and now I am there.

Then others come, our children, and all react with equal horror

in a child's eyes, a mother is god

but I can see nothing of their grief through the black mist of my own. I lay her body down but my hands are covered in her blood, our blood, sister lover pupil teacher friend otherself, and when I lift my head to scream out my fury, a million stars turn black and die. No one can see them, but they are my tears.

Never whisper his name in the dark unless you want him to answer.

"There is no greater warrior than a mother prtecting her child."

"He spread the last fool who fell in love with him all over the centeryard, I hear."

"When he was free, he was all things beautiful and terrible."

"There is nothing foolish about hope."

The Nightlord cannot be controlled. He can only be unleashed.

There was nothing we mortals would not do when it came to protecting our loved ones.

"Do with me as you please, Nightlord", I whispered.

When all was still, I saw that my dark one was whole. Where once restless shadows had flickered in his wake, now he shone in an impossible negative radiance, black as the Maelstrom. Had I thought him merely beautiful before? Ah, but now there was no human flesh to filter his cool majesty. His eyes glowed blue-black with a million mysteries, terrifying and exquisite. When he smiled, all the world shivered, and I was not immune.

This book is magnificent!

"My young master, I do believe i taught you how to beg"

- Sebastian from the Black Butler manga

"But there are much worse games to play."

~ Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

For some reason it's just an eerie yet amazing quote to me. After I read it I got goosebumps~ <3

"If you die on me, I'll kill you!" ~Max, Maximum Ride: Fang

Edited by HawktalonOfRiverClan

"A nightmare is the best kind of dream. The only one that brings happiness when it ends."
-Book of Deacon

"Unfortunately wisdom and happiness are old enemies, and where one can be found, the other seldom lingers."
-Book of Deacon

"Does it look good on me?"

"You look like an illiterate buffon."

"But does it look good?"

- The Emperor's Edge

"Unfriendly eyes out front."

"Enforcers?"

"A ten year old boy."

"Oh, yes. Terrifying."

- The Emperor's Edge

"You're good at talking people into things."

"What makes you say that?"

"Because I'm perched in the rafters of a cannery, at risk from a man-slaying magical creature, and spending time with a drunk, a gangster, and an assassin at...what time is it?"

- The Emperor's Edge

"Take off your shirt."

"How come you never say that to me?"

"Because seeing you topless would confirm our suspicions that you're related to yetis."

- The Emperor's Edge

All from the last two books I read and freshest in mind currently.

Edited by frostmourne

Katarina: "Stop staring, it's not polite."

Six: "I wasn't staring. I was looking, with interest."

-I Am Number Four: The Lost Files: Six's Legacy by Pittacus Lore

"If you focus too hard on maintaining your sanity, the slippiriness of the task can only make you crazier."

-I Am Number Four: The Lost Files: Six's Legacy by Pittacus Lore

Those are just a few of the things I have highlighted on my Kindle. I haven't read a lot of books on it yet, obviously. smile.gif I'll probably think of more later from non-Kindle-read books.

Edited by playswithfyre

Plans are like buses, sometimes they just don't show up when you really need one.

~Skulduggery Pleasant: Skulduggery Pleasant DeathBringer

Edited by Shadowwolf6

Here's a small fact

:You are going to die:

-The book thief by Markus Zusak

I loved that quote from that book.

One of the best quotes from a book I've read is the speech Atticus gives in the courtroom in To Kill A Mockingbird. It's just so well thought out and amazingly written.

That's the only one I can think of atm.