mycella

Most memorable book quote's

Vengeous: Only a heathen brings a gun to a swordfight.

Skulduggery: Only a moron brings a sword to a gunfight.

Skulduggery pleasant: playing with fire.

^^ Another one from my favourite series xd.png I remember that one too...

I could quote so much from that book xd.png

If you can dream and not make dreams yourr master, if you can think and not make thoughts your aim.

If by Rudyard Kipling:D

That is a great quote! I really like that poem. I like a lot by Kipling.

Reading all these makes me want to do two things: 1. Read the books everyone is getting these interesting quotes from, 2. re-read all my favorite books looking for interesting quotes to post. I've read a lot of books and while I can think of certain parts of them that I really like, I really can't think of any particular quotes from them that can be taken out and posted here. Kind of annoys me! rolleyes.gif

"When is a legend legend? Why is a myth a myth? How old and disused must a fact become for it to be relegated to the category fairytale?"

~ Anne McCaffery (from the intro to one of the Pern series, can't remember which one off the top of my head, but I love the quote)

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions." - Night Watch

"Ridcully had always been happy to think of himself as a racist. The One Hundred Metres, the Mile, the Marathon - he'd run them all." - The Last Continent

"A good bookshop is just a genteel black hole that knows how to read." - Guards! Guards!

"Only one creature could have duplicated the expressions on their faces, and that would have a pigeon who has heard not only that Lord Nelson has got down off his column but has also been seen buying a 12-bore repeater and a box of cartridges." - Mort

All Terry Pratchett smile.gif Finally..

One of the world's most tiresome questions is what object one might bring to a desert island, because people always answer 'a deck of cards' or 'Anna Karenina' when the obvious answer is ' a well-equipped boat with crew to sail me back home where I can play all the card games and read all the Russian novels I want." - Horseradish, Lemony Snicket.

"They followed me home, may I keep them?" Tyrion Lannister approaching his father with a bunch of barbarians.

Those books have quiet a few priceless ones.

Woke up this morning in a bin. Not one of my better starts.

The cat obviously likes my new scent: he started following me as soon as I set foot on the craft and he hasn't left me alone all day. I went to my quarters and did my best to sleep, but the hangover and three tonnes of cat on my chest didn't make it easy.

Midsummer. It's hot. The days are far too long, the Ketty Jay is like an oven, and I think the cat has melted.

All from Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding.

“For it is easier to shout 'Stop', than to do it”

-Treebeard, The Two Towers, J.R.R.Tolkien.

Edited by ylangylang

"You shall not pass!"

-Gandalf

"Fire works Gandalf Fireworks!"

-Hobbit Kids

And the best of all

"One does not simply walk into Mordor."

“Why did God create a dual universe?

So he might say

‘Be not like me. I am alone.'

And it might be heard.”

-Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves

Edited by Astralite

“The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.” - Looking For Alaska by John Green

"We accept the love we think we deserve."

- Bill, The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

There are too many good books with too many good quotes, although most of them I can't remember. X___x

I do, however, quite fancy this song/poem/thing from The Last Unicorn, so ye may have that in the meantime!

"What is plucked will grow again,

What is slain lives on,

What is stolen will remain

What is gone is gone...

What is sea-born dies on land,

Soft is trod upon.

What is given burns the hand -

What is gone is gone...

Here is there, and high is low;

All may be undone.

What is true, no two men know -

What is gone is gone...

Who has choices need not choose.

We must, who have none.

We can love but what we lose -

What is gone is gone."

'Wintergirls' by Laurie Halse Anderson has so many of them.

"She offered herself to the big, bad wolf and didn’t scream when he took the first bite."

"‘“How much do you weigh?” he asks.

“Not enough.” I sniff. “Too much.” A sob escapes. “I can’t tell.”’"

"Here stands a girl clutching a knife. There is grease on the stove, blood in the air, and angry words piled in the corners. We are trained not to see it, not to see any of it…

...body found in a motel room, alone...

Someone just ripped off my eyelids."

"WhatWhyWhenHowWho? WhatWhyWhenHowWho?

What am I afraid of?

Why can’t I even want to get better?

When am I me and how do I know that and who would I be if I did what they want?

How did I get like this?"

"Who wants to recover? It took me years to get that tiny. I wasn’t sick; I was strong."

"If more of us valued food and cheer over hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world." - J.R.R. Tolkien

"If I had lady-spider legs, I would weave a sky where the stars lined up. Mattresses would be tied down tight to their trucks, bodies would never crash through windshields. The moon would rise above the wine-dark sea and give babies only to maidens and musicians who had prayed long and hard. Lost girls wouldn't need compasses or maps. They would find gingerbread paths to lead them out of the forest and home again.

They would never sleep in silver boxes with white velvet sheets, not until they were wrinkled-paper grandmas and ready for the trip.

The spider sighs and sings quietly to herself."

This quote makes me feel so sad ;_;

Not really a book but music. It is nice all the same:

'Vielleicht sind alle Drachen unseres Lebens Prinzessinnen

Die nur darauf warten, uns einmal schön und mutig zu sehen.

Vielleicht ist alles Schreckliche im Grunde das Hilflose

Das nur von uns Hilfe will.' - Faun, Prolog (Buch der Balladen)

'Maybe all the dragons in your life are only princesses

Only waiting for us, to see us handsome and brave.

Maybe all the terrors are just derelicts

Only waiting for help from us.' - Faun, Prolog (Book of ballads)

I hope I did the translation alright. unsure.gif

Edited by IsmaielDeath

Atticus sat looking at the floor for a long time. Finally he raised his head. "Scout," he said, "Mr. Ewell fell on his knife. Can you possibly understand?"

Atticus looked like he needed cheering up. I ran to him and hugged him and kissed him with all my might. "Yes, sir, I understand," I reassured him. "Mr. Tate was right."

Atticus disengaged himself and looked at me. "What do you mean?"

"Well, it'd be sort of like shootin' a mockingbird, wouldn't it?"

-Atticus and Scout Finch, To Kill a Mockingbird

Scout assuring her father that she understood why there would be nothing further said with regards to the death of Bob Ewell.

School reading, bleah. The book was depressing but this quote was beautiful.

"Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter; tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... And one fine morning...

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

The Great Gatsby

Not sure if this one has already been mentioned, but the obvious "May the odds be ever in your favor/favour" from The Hunger Games xd.png

"Is it...dead?" asked Tom, his voice all quivery with fright.

"A town just ran over him," said Hester. "I shouldn't think he's very well..." ~ Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve

"There is no good and evil, there is only power, and those too weak to seek it." Lord Voldemort from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
hmm, the only other thing i can think of is "Luke! I am your father" from dork diaries, and that isn't even a real book

"THERE IS NO JUSTICE. THERE'S JUST US."

-Death from the Discworld series.

I'm sure there's a ton more but I don't remember them ;_;

Edit: I remember another!

"THE HOGFATHER GIVES PRESENTS. THERE'S NO BETTER PRESENT THAN A FUTURE."

-Death (again)

For some context, the Hogfather is Discworld's Santa Claus, who has gone missing and Death has to take his place. For more heartwarming context, go here:

Edited by Shadowdrake