mycella

Most memorable book quote's

"You know nothing, Jon Snow."

"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

"First Lesson. Stick them with the pointy end."

"Winter is Coming."

"A man must know how to look before he can hope to see."

"I seldom fling children from towers to improve their health."

“Power resides where men believe it resides… It’s a trick… A shadow on the wall… And ofttimes a very small man can cast a very large shadow.”

All from A Song of Ice and Fire books

Frodo: It's a pity Bilbo didn't kill him when he had the chance.

Gandalf: Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill before this is over. The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many.

and

Frodo: You're late.

Gandalf: A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

J.R.R. Tolkien , The Lord of the Rings

"Sickness and Healing are in every heart. Death and deliverance are in every hand."

-Speaker for the Dead, Orson Scott Card

"Everyone dies. Everyone leaves. What matters is the things you build together before they go. What matters is the part of them that continues in you when they're gone."

-Children of the Mind, Orson Scott Card

“There is not a day or night but a doe offers her life for her kittens, or some honest captain of Owsla his life for his Chief Rabbit's. Sometimes it is taken, sometimes it is not. But there is no bargain, for here, what is, is what must be.”

-Watership Down

“Death may beget life, but oppression can beget nothing other than itself.”

--from A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

"Wake me up if we're about to die." - A Song of Ice and Fire (George R. R. Martin)

"As long as you know who you are, does it really matter what other people think about you?" - Aldur, from Belgarath the Sorcerer (David Eddings)

"I've looked at the world for quite a few years now and I've found that if I don't laugh, I'll probably end up crying." - Silk, from Demon Lord of Karanda (David Eddings)

"My Lord, I find thy face apelike and thy form misshapen. Thy beard, moreover, is an offense against decency, resembling more closely the scabrous fir which doth decorate the hinder portion of a mongrel dog than a proper adornement for a human face. Is it possible that thy mother, seized by some wild lechery, did dally at some time past with a randy goat?" - Mandorallen, from The Seeress of Kell (David Eddings)

"Did you want to argue about something in particular or did you just want to start yowling and sort of make it up as we go along?" - Garion, the Belgariad/Malloreon (David Eddings)

"Balderdash!" a deep voice roared.

"I'm pleased to meet you, Professor Balderdash. My name's Itagne. It was good of you to introduce yourself. Thanks awfully, old boy."

The laughter was tumultuous this time.

"Fast on his feet, isn't he?" Itagne heard Ulath murmur to Bevier.

- The Hidden City (David Eddings)

Hatter: Young lady.

Alice: What?

Hatter: When I look at you, I remember the woman who broke me. You have her precious face. She was painfully kind... and a greater woman than you.

Alice: *pause* That is annoying!!

Hatter: Right?

Alice: And you're... kidding, right?

Hatter: *immediately* Of course I am.

- Mad Hatter (Blood Dupre) and Alice, from Alice in the Country of Hearts (one of my favorite manga series)

PS. I know I have way too much from Eddings, but his witty humor is just so irresistible. xd.png

"I didn't tell him that the diagnosis came three months after I got my first period. Like: Congratulations! You're a woman. Now die." - The Fault in Our Stars, John Green.

ADP made me rememer this TERRIBLY sad one from the Last Unicorn:

"How EMPTY must I have been to be able to contain so much?" Schmendrick after finding his magic

and of course

"How dare you? How DARE you come to me now?!"

Both from memory and ad hoc translations - so I hope they are acurate enough.

And because someone quoted Card:

Orson Scott Card

“If only we could have talked to you, the hive-queen said in Ender's words. But since it could not be, we ask only this: that you remember us, not as enemies, but as a tragic sisters, changed into fol shape by fate or God or evolution. If we had kissed, it would have been the miracle to make us human in each other's eyes. Instead we killed each other. But still we welcome you now as guestfriends. Come into our home, daughters of Earth; dwell in our tunnels, harvest our fields; what we cannot do, you are now our hands to do for us. Blossom, trees; ripen, fields; be warm for them, suns; be fertile for them, planets: they are our adopted daughters, and they have come home.”

The end quote of "The hive Queen" always makes me get goose bumps.

There's tons more for later, but I'll leave it at that for know

“When someone is crying, of course, the noble thing to do is to comfort them. But if someone is trying to hide their tears, it may also be noble to pretend you do not notice them.” - Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid, Lemony Snicket.

“It is one of life's bitterest truths that bedtime so often arrives just when things are really getting interesting.” - The Grim Grotto, Lemony Snicket.

^I absolutely LOVE Baudelaire Orphans series!!! by Lemony Snicket <3 I recognised that quote^

This one makes me shiver!

'I was the Mortar, he was the Pestle.'

from The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.

Edited by ChocolateIzzy

he loved big brother - 1984

Now you made me shiver - most horrific ending, ever.

"Dexter, put your shirt on. Valkyrie's getting distracted."

-Skulduggery Pleasant: Last Stand of Dead Men

On this road there are no godspoken men, they are gone and I am left and they have taken the world with them.

When we're all gone at last then there'll be nobody here but death and his days will be numbered too. He'll be out in the road there with nothing to do and nobody to do it to. He'll say: Where did everybody go? And that's how it will be. What's wrong with that?

Both of these quotes are from The Road by Cormac McCarthy, its full of good quotes like these.

The last enemy that shall be destroyed is Death.

From Harry Potter and The Deathly Hollows by JK Rowling. I'm planning on getting this one tattooed on my wrist as the cloak part of the hollows symbol soon.

Mines a bit random but it's the only one I can really remember...

"Don't drive in a blue car on a Thursday" - The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Ford

This quote doesn't even make sense if you have read the book. blink.gif

Simple Genius by David Baldacci has one I love.

""Be safe," he said in the face of the cold, raw wind. Then he looked to the sky.  "And if we get caught, God, can you make it a minimum security prison?"

and another one edited on to above post.

This idea is expressed in many places; the last one I noted was in the book I am currently reading Fern Michael's Blindsided.

"People as a rule don't listen to old people. That's a really terrible mistake because old people are very wise."
Edited by DustyBelle

“Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead.”

- Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald

Found in David Weber's A Rising Thunder Copyright March 2012, but I don't think he is the original author. p. 217

"It's not what you don't know that hurts you, it's what you think you know that isn't so."

I find that so true.

"Nothing endures. Not a tree. Not love. Not even death by violence." ~ Gene, A Seperate Peace by John Knowles

The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind.

You have to be a bit of a liar to tell a story the right way. Too much truth confuses the facts. Too much honesty makes you sound insincere.

Both from 'the Name of the Wind' by Patrick Rothfuss.

"'Either we'er soldiers or we'er not. Defeated or not, we should never forget that, Keyes. Give them a speech. Say something to counteract all that, because whatever this is you're doing right now, this isn't leadership. Where's the man who had us all jump out of that freighter?'"

The Cole Protocol by Tobias s. Buckell

"Gods die. And when they truly die they are unmourned and unremembered. Ideas are more difficult to kill than people, but they can be killed, in the end." -- Neil Gaiman, American Gods

"“Exactly!" said Deep Thought. "So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the answer means.”" - Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Probably one you've all heard before, but definitely one worth remembering:

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore (JK Rowling)

"Wizard's First Rule: people are stupid."..."People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

-The Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind

“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

“Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.”

“Under the spreading chestnut tree I sold you and you sold me.”

― George Orwell, 1984