TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

But none of us have ever heard about a German Christmas Pickle and its tradition. laugh.gif
Me, neither. And I'm German, too. Still, decorating (and redecorating...) is pretty fun - unless the ornaments have a mind of their own and simply wander off their place. I had one glass ball set itself from the tree to the site, the same for the silver tinsel garland and one blinking lights thingy. And my gold-and-red birdie loves to fly off-scroll and needs to be called back (by reset) occasionally. (Three times so far, and twice on my daughter's scroll.)

Ohhhh wowie!

Unfortunately I did not grab the first two sets of ornaments, but I'm pretty sure there is still a lot to get out of it!

This is such a great contest, I hope there is a chance of winning! wub.gif

I bet everyones trees will look wonderfull!

I hope mine will be spotted atleast some! laugh.gif

never heard of the christmas pickle?!?! i'm german and i've heard of it for many years, but then, i live in a german community, so that helps, keeping traditions alive and all that!! i've had a christmas pickle on my tree for years, now i can have one my DC tree!!! cool.gif

how does one enter the contest???

Either by submitting during the editing period or by just waiting until the editing period is over. (See first post if you need more detail.)

Regarding the Christmas pickle, maybe it's a regional thing?

Either by submitting during the editing period or by just waiting until the editing period is over. (See first post if you need more detail.)

Regarding the Christmas pickle, maybe it's a regional thing?

So, if you don't submit it, it'll be auto-submitted at the deadline? I was assuming it was an opt-in kind of thing, and you had to submit it to be in the contest.

Moneyman: TJ will probably just poof them onto their scrolls. He can do things like that. laugh.gif

Hehe, this is funny. I searched wikipedia for an article on Christmas pickles, and came up empty. Then, I found a German entry on "Weihnachtsgurke" - which must be the correct translation, from the look of it. Anyway, I just wanted to share the little article:

The Christmas pickle is a Christmas tree ornament made of glass that looks like a gherkin. In the USA it's tradition to hide the Christmas pickle among the other ornaments. Due to its green color, it's relatively hard to spot. Whoever spots it first will be awarded with an extra present. [...]

The origins of this tradition are unknown. In the USA, it's considered to be an old German tradition, but in most German-speaking areas this tradition is totally unknown, although they can be found occasionally. Whether these German Christmas pickles are a regional tradition or a more recent adoption of a US custom is dubious.

I also found another interesting link on the Christmas pickle: http://german.about.com/library/blgermyth11.htm

Mystery solved. biggrin.gif

So, if you don't submit it, it'll be auto-submitted at the deadline? I was assuming it was an opt-in kind of thing, and you had to submit it to be in the contest.

Moneyman: TJ will probably just poof them onto their scrolls. He can do things like that. laugh.gif

You do have to opt in; TJ said there will be an enter option - on your tree page (I think) at the end. It's all in the first post here.

Then I misinterpreted what I found there. Sorry!

Love the pickle! That's a tradition that my cousin and I used to participate in, so it holds some wonderful memories for me. smile.gif I'm only today starting to decorate, although I've been picking up the ornaments every day so far I think. These are all so lovely! I don't even care if I win anything in the competition, the tree and decorating is plenty alone. Thank you for this!

I love the Candles my tree just needs more lights now. smile.gif

Then I misinterpreted what I found there. Sorry!

Hey - no worries ! You asked; I answered !

During the editing period on the 6th and 7th, there will be an option to submit your tree to the contest.

I assume it will be on the tree page,,, I may VERY well be off my trolley though biggrin.gif

My tree design is basically done but I have an uneven number of clear bulbs so I'm waiting for one more X3 I hope nobody else is doing the same design as me X3 Can't wait to see what other users created <3

Anyone else unable to access their tree? The little tree on my scroll is no longer a link - I could access it this morning but no matter how many times I refresh now, it stays unclickable (the basket and Halloween one both still work). >.<

EDIT: Nevermind. Soon as I hit post and refreshed yet AGAIN, it started working again. *headdesk*

I'd also like more candles...and some RIGHT FACING ornaments. OMG! *laughs* My OCD is going crazy with all the ornaments facing the same way. >.< I might have to get rid of the birds because of it - it just looks SO unbalanced with all the birds pointing the same way. My real tree is VERY symmetrical tongue.gif and this has me totally twitchy because I can't make this one symmetrical unless I leave a bunch of the ornaments out.

As the pixels are SO tiny and you don't see a ton of detail, would it be possible to flip some of the birds around to be right facing in the next batches??

Edited by forcryinoutloud

There's the rocking horse, one of the larger ornaments and the pickle (can a pickle face a direction? Bah) facing the right. xd.png

Would it be possible to flip some of the birds around to be right facing in the next batches??

Yes, Please!

There's the rocking horse, one of the larger ornaments and the pickle (can a pickle face a direction? Bah) facing the right.

--

The rocking horse is under my tree at the moment, the pickle disappears into the green and the others are TOO large for the tree. I'd like right facing ornaments that aren't HUGE. tongue.gif

Oh YES - more candles please!

Well, one more German here, having never heard of a christmas pickle laugh.gif

There are no more birds o: hence me posting the leftovers.

[*]During the editing period on the 6th and 7th, there will be an option to submit your tree to the contest.

I'm betting that there will be a link on the tree's page that will allow us to submit it for the contest. smile.gif

There are no more birds o: hence me posting the leftovers.

Well that's disappointing.

Guess it's bye-bye birdies then. Oh well.

Edited by forcryinoutloud

I couldn't find user posted image and after much frustration and many sighs of regret I rearranged all of my ornaments to see if it was hiding under one of them. It was. It was under the red bird on my tree:)

My Tree Monster is downright scary! O_O I doubt there's a little kid alive who'd want to go near it, presents or no presents! hee hee xd.png