TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

sure are a lot of blue and DC trees.

I've seen 3 dragons so far. Looks like I wasn't the only one with such an idea.\\

edit:4 draggies

Edited by Lunchbox

I've seen tons of cluttered trees and two trees in a row with nothing on them. Kind of sad that they didn't want to decorate.

There's a thread suggesting there are some that need reporting for obscenity. Wish I'd seen one of those....

Some of the empty ones are a result of the glitch....

Edited by fuzzbucket

Me too... several, actually. I really hope they are not glitches.

Other than that, will we be able to see our own score after voting ends? smile.gif

Me too... several, actually. I really hope they are not glitches.

Other than that, will we be able to see our own score after voting ends? smile.gif

I don't know hmm that's a question for TJ.

Waaaay too many gawdy trees. x.x Putting every ornament on the tree does not make it awesome; for the record. Kills my eyes.

I'm against displaying this sort of statistic because it doesn't provide context. It'd be very disappointing to see your average is a 4, but if the best score out of all trees was a 6, then you actually did above average.

So if anything, I'd display percentiles. But even those are discouraging for 50% of the people who entered.

If everyone's tree has been voted on the same number of times, there's no difference...?

And if not all trees receive the same number of votes, it'd be stupid to go based on added score.

Elleth this is what TJ said a few pages back

Here's the link: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...108901&st=5200#

EDIT: By the way just saw a really cute and cool tree, it was the angel ornament inside an angel made of ornaments. Really Unique so I gave it a nice big 10 biggrin.gif

Edited by Lunaeluu

I'm glad I didn't put all of them on my tree cause it would look like a train wreak in a piece of paper.

Edited by Uryu_4

I think that's very smart of TJ. For at least some people who don't win a prize, it would be rubbing salt in their wounds to see how low their score is. Especially kids. I'm glad my children won't be able to see their scores when this is done. :-) They had their fun making the trees; they don't need to know if they're in the bottom 25% of ratings or whatever.

I do hope that trees which are among the 200 finalists will be awarded with a badge or note like "Tree Decorating Finalist" on the tree page, though. It would be nice for people who made the final cut but didn't win a prize to get a recognition of that. I'm just glad that people who don't do so well won't have to know exactly how poorly they did. ;-)

Someone made a deer out of ornaments! It had strings attached to it that were gracefully wrapped around the tree very talented very cool

Just saw a tree that had ornaments made to look like a dragon breathing smoke out it's nostrils ohmy.gif It was quite neat looking!

Guys I was sick yesterday, I have missed tons of stuff on here.

If you know of anything I missed that needs reported, please use the report tool or send me a pm.

Thank you.

After hours of voting I have only found one 10 so far. It was a classic tree with a silver/blue theme, very very nice.

But I am a little bit surprised that there are so many trees I have to vote very low, because the are blank, or cluttered or showing floating ornaments or treetoppers.

I have also seen many trees with words or pictures on them. I know that shows creativity and the decorators spend a lot of time on them but.... I don't know. Those trees are no christmastrees for me. I have seen so many pictures of dragons or other animals, most of them are very impressive and well planned, but they have a lack of christmas-feeling. And that is the main point for me to give a 9 or 10. A picture need a lot of ornaments that are put together and often the picture is great but the rest of the tree is blank because there are no ornaments left to put there. I like DC and dragons but that means not that I want to see an impressive dragon on a christmas-tree instead of having a "warm" feeling while looking at it, even if I am glad that the whole Christmas-time is over by now.

And playing DC and joining this contest means allready that you like DC. There is no need to point that out on a tree wink.gif .

Please don't get me wrong, I do not want to hurt someones feelings. Maybe it is because of my age that I look at something while questioning its possibility to exist the way it is in RL. For me ornaments can not fly and giving trees arms or decorate the wings of a dragon outside the tree does not look esthetic to me. I know it is creative but such a tree can not get a very good vote from me because of impossibility. And I have seen no picture tree that combines the festive aspect with elegance and a good design so far.

I think most of the users think different about it, because they like the "cool" impressive designs more, but I hope that there will be classic trees among the winners, too.

No selfpity! xd.png

I know that my tree isn´t the best either, due to the stupid ornaments that float around >.<

Did I miss something?

I wondered if someone has mentioned how many trees are submitted totally.

I've been voting so many now that I lost track...

I think that's very smart of TJ. For at least some people who don't win a prize, it would be rubbing salt in their wounds to see how low their score is. Especially kids. I'm glad my children won't be able to see their scores when this is done. :-) They had their fun making the trees; they don't need to know if they're in the bottom 25% of ratings or whatever.

I do hope that trees which are among the 200 finalists will be awarded with a badge or note like "Tree Decorating Finalist" on the tree page, though. It would be nice for people who made the final cut but didn't win a prize to get a recognition of that. I'm just glad that people who don't do so well won't have to know exactly how poorly they did. ;-)

Maybe TJ can do this on demand: it will be a my choice if I want to know my ratings (and eventually have my wounds salted) or just ignore. I think there are few children on the forum, so they will not know of this and we'll have the possibility to access to the eventual link showing the rates (like the preview link, people not on the forum didin't know of it, as in the site there isn't a link for preview).

I personally find the picture trees more creative in general but then again I've seen some stunner and very original traditional ones as well. I rate them in their own categories and don't compare.

I do have a general rule though, if there are words or a picture but the rest of the tree hasn't been thought out, it gets marked down.

I don't think just because it has a picture it necessarily isn't christmasy, I think there are trees which are both and those are the ones that get higher votes

Hmmmm well I like my tree and all, but looking at some of the other trees, it looks a little plain sad.gif

Ah oh well. Oh and how did some people get extra of that garland made of beads? Not the popcorn one...

Did I miss something?

I wondered if someone has mentioned how many trees are submitted totally.

I've been voting so many now that I lost track...

I think yesterday somebody mentioned somewhere wink.gif ... over 8.000? Correct me, please, if I'm wrong.

One of my ornaments somehow disappeared and left a blank spot. ^^'

I've been voting for like 30 minutes now, my favorites are the ones that focus on 2-3 colours. smile.gif