TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

HEY! Look at the stats banners! We ALL have 200 dragons???

If they are banners from Egg Drop Soup - the site has a glitch. MINE shows more than that.

OMG! I just saw one with the sillouette of a deer flying!!!

Ooh... that must be beautiful. <3

I really hate to give an 1 so i always give a higher mark for the effort but an empty tree gets an 1. I don't see why people would send an empty tree to the contest...

Because of the glitch.

I decorated and submitted my tree during the glitch period. I noticed afterwards that all the decorations came off my tree but I thought it was fine because I thought that when I hit submit, the image of my tree as it was would be the one everyone sees and votes on but that's not the case.

Hundreds of people have been caught out by this.

Now every time I look in this thread I get angry because all I see is people saying 'this person submitted a blank tree! How lazy! They've put no effort in at all. I'm giving this a 1'

I saw no warnings about this glitch. I would have thought there would have been an entire thread dedicated to it. If it only happened to myself and one or two other people I'd hold my hands up and say fine, I'm an idiot, but there are loads of people out there now who have lost out because they weren't stalking this huge thread every hour looking for comments on a glitch they were not expecting.

I've been using 5 as "Meh" and then going up and down from there. I seem to have been marking high though, based on what others are saying.

I do look under the tree and give higher marks when people have used that space as well.

I've had fewer katamari trees this morning.

The empty ones are always a surprise.

Lol, I've been using 5 as a 'That's not half bad' and taken it from there. I've given a few 6's and 7's this morning. I'm afraid the virtually empty ones are being rated low.

It would be really nice to know how many trees entered the contest...

I checked the forum as around 50000 members. But all people submitting may not be members... Witch would leave us with around 50000 trees?

Damn, with my 500 ratings a day I'll never see every one...

Too bad we can't see how many trees we rated tongue.gif

I have found one 10 today, the "dragon in the tree" one. Impressive, I couldn't give anything less than 10.

But a gold/blue/silver tree got a 8 because it was simple, but pretty.

For the others, I don't judge on the basis on how many of this type I've seen, it seems stupid to me. If the tree is nice, no matter if it's the 4th of its kind I see, it deserves a good rating.

But there were a lot of 1: awful overloaded trees (not the pretty ones), floating forgotten ornaments and empty trees. I'm an exigeant person ninja.gif

I kind of have a point system, but sometimes a tree will really stand out. I found one that was just absurd in its decoration, it looked like all of the dragons were gathered around worshipping the tree, which had strangely placed ornaments to begin with. It was so fascinating, I had to give it a 10. It's the only 10 I've found, and I've seen some amazing ones. That one, though, was just so unique. Everyone can think to put all things in their place, treating the tree like something whose ornaments could fall off or other such things. Not everyone considers the possibility of the freedom that can be had with this kind of decorating, and I think the ones who did think of it should be commended for thinking outside the box.

That being said, my tree is rather plain. I wish I'd thought to utilize the whole of my imagination. I'm ecstatic that we'll be able to rearrange the decorations after the contest.

Because of the glitch.

I decorated and submitted my tree during the glitch period. I noticed afterwards that all the decorations came off my tree but I thought it was fine because I thought that when I hit submit, the image of my tree as it was would be the one everyone sees and votes on but that's not the case.

Hundreds of people have been caught out by this.

Now every time I look in this thread I get angry because all I see is people saying 'this person submitted a blank tree! How lazy! They've put no effort in at all. I'm giving this a 1'

I saw no warnings about this glitch. I would have thought there would have been an entire thread dedicated to it. If it only happened to myself and one or two other people I'd hold my hands up and say fine, I'm an idiot, but there are loads of people out there now who have lost out because they weren't stalking this huge thread every hour looking for comments on a glitch they were not expecting.

There were about 10 threads in help - some locked and pointed to the main one. And MANY posts in this thread. Sorry, but there WERE.

Do I miss everything?(

Where should I go now to see the trees and to vote?

I judge based on creativity and visual appeal. I've given a couple 10s to trees that were classic but beautiful. I also gave a 9 to one that could have been a little more visually appealing, but the ornaments were definitely use creatively. I give lower scores to trees that are completely non-creative. I have also found a few total eyesores that look like people just didn't care. They get scored accordingly. Any sort of theme (red theme, gold theme, look-I-made-a-picture theme, etc.) adds points from me, because it shows effort to make a nice, appealing tree. And this is a virtual tree, so defying the laws of physics means nothing to me. wink.gif

@Roary: http://dragcave.net/treevote or scroll -> Tree Decorating Contest voting

Edited by AlternateMew

There were about 10 threads in help - some locked and pointed to the main one. And MANY posts in this thread. Sorry, but there WERE.

I saw one thread in help which had many responses and even posted there myself but later in the day it just vanished without a trace and I never got to see if TJ or any of the mods posted any useful information.

I've voted 7 quite a few times, with the odd 9 and one 10, but a lot of trees I seem to get given are either over decorated, not decorated or have decorations floating off to one side.

I saw one thread in help which had many responses and even posted there myself but later in the day it just vanished without a trace and I never got to see if TJ or any of the mods posted any useful information.

TJ said somewhere that it was fixed - and in the first post here gave us an extra day to fix things. (it originally said Jan 8th.)

Let's put it this way - I read LOADS of threads and chipped into a few, and I did see all these things addressed and answered.

@Roary: log into your account and go here.

Done voting for today... Saw -literally- a thousand trees since yesterday...

I have to say I gave out quite a bunch of 7 and 8s today, and a lot less 1 and 2 because of cluttered trees. I hope to see even nicer trees tomorrow.

As for the glitch, this tread is full of references to it. And TJ gave an extra day of editing because of it...

Good evening all.

Dude. Now I'm convinced that i voted on the same tree twice. There are several I'm sure I voted on yesterday. o.O Especially the smiley face one and this DC one.

Also... haha. found another 9-worthy nice, neat traditional tree among stuff. <3 MY kind of tree.

I sometimes also think that I've seen one tree more than once, but then I remember that they are just similar. smile.gif

I haven't seen the Pac-Man one, or the deer one, and I would really love to. sad.gif Hopefully they'll appear in this round of votes.

As for the glitch, this tread is full of references to it. And TJ gave an extra day of editing because of it...

Yeah, so you have to go through every post in this thread to find information about it, which, unless you knew about the glitch, you probably wouldn't have even thought about doing.

If it were me, I'd have dedicated a new thread to the subject, still in the News section so hopefully the maximum number of people would have noticed it. *shrugs*

ohmy.gif I just got a database error when I just voted on one of the trees (I just went back and voted again but weird huh.gif )

By the way I know that a lot of people say they are seeing the same trees and perhaps you are but it's just that there are really similar ones. I've seen maybe 20 DC trees, 15 smily faces about 10 dragon shaped ones and so forth (they look similar but I screenshot a lot and there are tiny differences)

Its just after voting for over 14 hours they start to look the same xd.png (I don't mark them down on that though: the first silver/blue one I saw I gave a 7, if it is just as pretty and has the same silver/blue I will still give it a 7 even if I've seen hundreds already)

I am prity harsh in my grading, I have to truly like it to give it even a 6 most I am giving average ratings or slightly below average 4 depending on the composition. So far the highest i've awarded is a 9 and that was to a dragon head shaped one that was breathing fire.

*shakes another cluttered mess of a tree* Why? I've seen a few cluttered trees that looked a nice...but most look really silly at best.

Also, what's with using all the toppers? The birds kinda work sometimes, but the dragons are designed to sit a certain way... Having dragons with limbs and torsos removed(I'm assuming in some violent way, cause that's where my video-game mind is right now) is a real turn-off.

*sigh* But I have seen some very nice trees. ^.^ I rate a tree 7-9 if I wouldn't be angry that it beat mine for a prize. I rated 10 once...on a completely blank tree.

Lol, I just saw a very optimistic tree with the word "WIN" written on it xd.png

I gave it a 7 as it made me chuckle.

Has anyone seen the "EPIC" tree?

EDIT: ohmy.gif I think I just saw a tree with a man made from ornaments on the back of the birds shooting the silver dragon...

Edited by Lunaeluu

And i have got myself a little problem... *lol*

My daughter (8 years) has her own scroll, but shes not been able to be on dc to decorate her own tree. She sad about that, but still anjoys the rating part cool.gif

We have quite different taste in decorating, and shes really angry with me becourse i have a tendency to rate overloaded trees quite low.

She just loves those trees! laugh.gif

Right now shes on the other computer, rating trees, and really enjoying (rather loud, actually) all the different styles. laugh.gif

It should have been a prize for enthusiasm, i bet she would score pretty high! biggrin.gif