TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

I have to say it, though i never thought i would...i have seen more Christmas trees than i ever wanted to, and ever hope to again..sigh..but still, it woudn't be fair to stop now, so shall soldier on.....

I personally love a full tree our tree irl is full of the most beautiful ornaments a combination of colored and clear antique glass down to the glass icecicles, we dont use garland on the tree maybe some years a little tinsel hung very thin and far apart to give it an added pop

lights we use very tiny little round bulbs some years color some years clear or a solid color depending on the mood i guess

so for me a full but classy tree is the way to go

I personally love a full tree  our tree irl is full of the most beautiful ornaments a combination of colored and clear antique glass down to the glass icecicles, we dont use garland on the tree maybe some years a little tinsel hung very thin and far apart to give it an added pop

lights we use very tiny little round bulbs some years color some years clear or a solid color depending on the mood i guess

so for me a full but classy tree is the way to go

Yes I agree, I decorate ours and it's kinda full too but there's a difference between a 'richly decorated' tree, and throwing EVERY ornament we were given at it. And what's with the trees that have huge piles of ornaments all shoved into one place on the tree, leaving the rest of the tree nude????

Also not happy with the tree critique thread...anonymous anyone???

Edited by oddsoxdi

I've read several comments from people saying that they're tired of seeing say, a silver and blue theme, and are rating those tree's lower now because of it, and that bother's me a little. I mean, I've seen many color themed tree's as well, but even if there are 1000 of them, it's not the color theme that I'm looking at, although I do notice beautiful color themes, it's more of how the ornaments were used that I'm looking for. Just because I've seen those colors before doesn't mean future tree's with the same colors are going to get low scores simply because the theme is popular, or based on that alone. I don't get that mentality.

Yeah, that is sad. There is after all a limited amount of colors and combinations, and they also need to look good together. Creativity on the other hand, is a much wider area. You simply have to make do with what you've got and try to make something pretty out of that, and in my opinion, that is when true creativity shines.

I gave my very rare high points to a tree with blue and purple ornaments simply because what they had done with them was just beautiful.

At this moment I have not found any trees to give a vote of 9 or 10 sad.gif

I've given one 9 so far, but no 10.

Same here. If people wanna show their trees it should be when the voting is closed, not while voting is going on.

Yes I agree, I decorate ours and it's kinda full too but there's a difference between a 'richly decorated' tree, and throwing EVERY ornament we were given at it. And what's with the trees that have huge piles of ornaments all shoved into one place on the tree, leaving the rest of the tree nude????

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=109950&st

I actually started a topic requesting anon means anon for future contests because its just silly.

Yes thats how i feel too not a over done tree or a sloppy tree I took hours to get mine as it was then when i looked after it was locked somehow a few things got put off a touch i am not too worried about it it is what it is,

As far as the thread over there I looked at it for a couple minutes, Id never put my tree in there but again Id never let anyone influence how I judge the trees,

I have heard it said about one sort of tree and another all looking the same, well no one knew this when they made theirs. I judge each tree for how it looks and if i think they should get a high vote for their work i give it

You know, I feel like others who have rated the same trees twice, but I suspect I have not actually done so. If we can supposedly only vote once, how does the DC program manage to keep track - or does it? Are the trees randomly generated or ordered? I also fear people being left unrated. I assume the final score will be a simple average? Hope so. If I leave my browser up, I hope that will help me to vote just once on everyone's trees.

I just saw a really pretty tree that used the strings of beads with the silver garland and all the white/silver ornaments. It was really pretty, I gave it an 8.

Some people obviously left their ornaments nearby in a heap, but some seem like they meant for them not to be used but a glitch left them up there. Was there a glitch? I'd feel bad to mark anyone lower for a glitch! sad.gif

Otherwise, I just judge them neutrally (5) and then rate them higher or lower based on how they appeal to me. That's about all we can do. I tend to rate them a little lower if, say, they have every ornament on the planet on there in a heap and it makes no sense because it seems as if they did not read the instructions stating that we need not use every ornament, or they just have one or two ornaments dangling in the breeze, because it seems like an effort wasn't made. If it looks very flat, I might also mark them a little lower. But I notice I mark them a higher if they look pretty and sweet and round, and I did give one 10 that was pretty and very intentionally creative. That's just my opinion. Just have fun! biggrin.gif

I absolutely agree about the screenshots. I am just not looking at them. As for judging - I am going on the basis of would I like it in my living room. 3 9s so far but no 10.

I just think that people need to remember to judge the tree's as the individuals they are, and not lump them all together for color themes and automatically say, 'Oh hell, another red tree, it's getting a 2' >.< That's not fair at all to me. I'm looking at and rating each tree as it comes...what came before makes no difference whatsoever. I've given many a themed tree higher scores because I really liked the creativity of it and how they put it all together. smile.gif

my daughter decorated her tree, got it right and submitted it like she was supposed to. but yesterday when she went back and looked at it all the ornaments are everywhere and its a mess. does that mean her tree will look like that? or as she submitted it?

It means it will be judged on how it looks now and not how it looked when she submitted it.

The same thing happened to me - one of the empty trees in the competition is mine. x3

my daughter decorated her tree, got it right and submitted it like she was supposed to. but yesterday when she went back and looked at it all the ornaments are everywhere and its a mess. does that mean her tree will look like that? or as she submitted it?

That's terrible! That's what I'm wondering, too, because I see some trees that look like they clearly couldn't have meant to actually press the button to submit that! I have also seen 3 empty trees, not a thing on them! What's going on?

Indeed!!! Judge each tree dont lump them into groups saying oh no another tree with this color on it boring! If your that bored then maybe walk away and vote more later I dont know but yes i judge the tree for the tree not what another has done before them.

I love seeing the pretty trees, the cutsie ones too color themes and all its just fun to see what everyone came up with to me color themes no matter how many times its been done is still like the first time seeing it when i judge the tree if its pretty it gets a nice vote if its dull or to me not so pretty it dont get a high vote. I have given a vew 8 9 and 10 votes to the really awesome ones that have wowed me.

it is being judged on how it looks now, however the tree looked when TJ closed the editing is what was actually submitted

the submit button was just to enter the scroll and then had 2 or 3 days to do final editing before editing was closed and tree actually submitted

there was a glitch at first when you clicked sumit, it reset the ornaments or didn't save that days changes, TJ fixed it pretty quickly and gave an extra day to edit

Occasional ones look as if they are still being edited - the trees themselves are shimmying. Anyone else see that? huh.gif

Edited by Lowery

I usually give pretty high ratings unless the tree is bare or has randomly-thrown ornaments.

If the tree is full, but I like the composition I can rate 9 or 10.

I also like natural ones, with birds and pinecones, or ones with toys and birds and no lights/garlands.

Looking at my tree I noticed the layering got messed up. :/ For instance, I had a lot of ornaments on top of the garland, and submitted it like that. But now, the garland is on top of them and makes it look bad. :/

I just saw the most pretty tree it said D C on the top of it done in the most beautiful way , the tree had been decorated very pretty i gave it a 10 it was really nice my 2nd most favorite tree i have seen so far smile.gif

I've seen a lot of overloaded trees, i really don't like that but i give a 4 for the effort they did to get it so far tongue.gif

I really hate to give an 1 so i always give a higher mark for the effort but an empty tree gets an 1. I don't see why people would send an empty tree to the contest...

I've been using 5 as "Meh" and then going up and down from there. I seem to have been marking high though, based on what others are saying.

I do look under the tree and give higher marks when people have used that space as well.

I've had fewer katamari trees this morning.

The empty ones are always a surprise.