TJ09

2010-11-11 - Feature Preview

Egg/Hatchling Limits: it takes 4 days for an egg to hatch, and 4 days for a hatchling to mature. So while this can correct some occasional bottlenecks, it doesn't really increase the limit that much, right?

With incubate, you can go from egg to adult dragon in 5 days. However, with the total limits it should fix bottleneck to a large degree if you time it right. And it does increase totals by quite a bit. As of now, my limit is 9. It will go up to 21: pretty significant.

My apologies if I didn't quite understand what you were saying, but:

Rare x Rare Breeding: by having this kind of breeding be less fertile, it means fewer unwanted non-rares will be abandoned, without rares becoming more common.

However, if gold x gold produces gold offspring at the same rate as gold x pink, then gold x pink + canopy x gold would produce twice as many, so people might not bother taking advantage of this feature.

The rates will be no different than now, meaning that the ratios will prevail. When a space is available in the ratios for a gold, a gold will appear, either via breeding rare x rare, rare x common/uncommon or CB. Gold x common won't produce twice as many. Basically the only thing changing is what breeds can breed with each other, not how many of each breed will be available.

Some people won't care, and continue to breed Gold x common (or Silver x common). But there are a lot of people, and a lineage specifically for this, that are looking forward to breeding PB Metallics and Trios. So again, nothing is really changing except the breeding patterns, not the breeding rates.

Egg/Hatchling Limits: it takes 4 days for an egg to hatch, and 4 days for a hatchling to mature. So while this can correct some occasional bottlenecks, it doesn't really increase the limit that much, right?

Actually, it only takes 3 days to hatch an egg, 2 if you use Incubate. Eggs start at 7 days, and can hatch at 4, which equals 3 days. Same for hatchies. That part isn't changing. And for those of us who are lineage addicted and breeding addicted, it won't change the bottleneck at all. lol tongue.gif

However, the limits are increased, but in a different way. Right now we're limited to 9 total, no matter what. And it takes some fogging and tweaking to get the full 9. But, to quote WraithZephyr, who says it perfectly:

No Trophy: max 4 eggs (12 total egg/hatchling combo)

Bronze Trophy: max 5 eggs (15 total egg/hatchling combo)

Silver Trophy: max 6 eggs (18 total egg/hatchling combo)

Gold Trophy: max 7 eggs (21 total egg/hatchling combo)

So the total is now, instead of 9, either 12, 15, 18 or 21, depending on trophies. That's a major increase, even if it is mainly hatchies, instead of eggs.

EDIT: Also, what is changing is the egg/hatchie lock chain. Meaning right now that if you have 5 of something, either egg or hatchies, you cannot get anything else. You could have 5 eggs and 1 hatchie (or visa versa, which is a very unsatisfying lock dry.gif), and you're stuck. You can't get anything else till one number drops to 4. With the new limits, you can catch as much as you can to get your total, no matter what numbers you have. If you have your max of eggs, you can still go catch hatchies. Make sense?

Teleport: letting people trade dragons effectively and without risk seems to me to be a good thing. I assume that any rares I see in the abandoned page are likely to belong to someone, and only try to find rares in the cave. Breeding now produces one egg at a time, so rares aren't produced that way any more.

Well, actually, yes they are. In fact, most of the Metallics now are bred, instead of Caveborn. It might be just me, but I'm guessing that since Rares will now actually end up on the scrolls they're intended for, there might be more showing up in the Cave and AP, since people won't be trying to replace lost trades. Of course, we'll have to wait and see on that bit. happy.gif

Edited by Gyps13

Also, what is changing is the egg/hatchie lock chain. Meaning right now that if you have 5 of something, either egg or hatchies, you cannot get anything else. You could have 5 eggs and 1 hatchie (or visa versa, which is a very unsatisfying lock dry.gif), and you're stuck. You can't get anything else till one number drops to 4. With the new limits, you can catch as much as you can to get your total, no matter what numbers you have. If you have your max of eggs, you can still go catch hatchies. Make sense?

That's probably one of the most profound changes that's going to take place. After the update, even egg-locked people will be able to hunt for hatchlings in the AP. Basically, DC addition is going to get a lot more potent tongue.gif

That's probably one of the most profound changes that's going to take place. After the update, even egg-locked people will be able to hunt for hatchlings in the AP. Basically, DC addition is going to get a lot more potent tongue.gif

And I'll bet hatchies in general are going to go up in value, too. wink.gif I'm just going to be soooooo glad to be rid of that egg-hatchie link. smile.gif

yayyyyy for renaming

I'm excited for this feature very much. c: Back when double spaces didn't show up, I named many of my dragons like that and I now regret it. I'm glad to be able to change their names so that they don't have double spaces. X3

These are indeed features that people have wished for!

Still, I have some questions.

Rare x Rare Breeding: by having this kind of breeding be less fertile, it means fewer unwanted non-rares will be abandoned, without rares becoming more common.

However, if gold x gold produces gold offspring at the same rate as gold x pink, then gold x pink + canopy x gold would produce twice as many, so people might not bother taking advantage of this feature.

Yes, it seems sensible to get another chance to get a gold, and technically, those commons will need to be bred to keep the golds balanced...but that doesn't stop people from breeding black x black (CB blacks being hard to find). People will be breeding rare x rare for even a small chance of a PB rare, which will probably fetch a high "price".

Yes, it seems sensible to get another chance to get a gold, and technically, those commons will need to be bred to keep the golds balanced...but that doesn't stop people from breeding black x black (CB blacks being hard to find). People will be breeding rare x rare for even a small chance of a PB rare, which will probably fetch a high "price".

Yes the sensible thing for a person to do for the best "chance" to get a gold/silver is to breed them to commons.

Example: 20 golds bred to 20 commons gives you 20 chances for a gold. 20 golds bred to each other only gives you 10 chances for a gold.

But... for those lucky few that take the hard route -- the value of purebred GxG, SxS, or GxS lineages will be significantly higher due to demand for them plus the extra labor involved in creating them.

So what happens if you reach your egg limit after the change? Are you still able to grab hatchlings or will you recieve the "You have too many eggs" page?

Edit: 400th post! Yay for level 5!

Edited by Black_Phantom

So what happens if you reach your egg limit after the change? Are you still able to grab hatchlings or will you recieve the "You have too many eggs" page?

You can still grab hatchies after you fill up on eggs. Or visa versa. *is so happy about that* biggrin.gif

You will still be able to catch hatchies up to the limit of your badge(or lack of same)

The link between eggs and hatchies by the numbers will be eliminated

ninja.gif 'd

Edited by dragonpuck

It already does mean that. The change is that you don't have to keep records - once a pair has refused, which is permanent - the dragon it cannot breed with will not show up as an option for breeding, so you won't waste an attempt.

Pairs that refuse once will never be able to breed? So, a black dragon and a pink dragon pair that have bred multiple times in the past, suddenly refuse.... will never breed again?

Sorry, I sound like an idiot, even to me. But im mostly a casual player. Just catch eggs and breed some I like.

so pretty much I'll still be able to have five eggs with my bronze badge?

doesn't change much dry.gif but if say I realise all none CB's hyporthically speaking even if I breed the 5th egg it will be auto abandoned because I have four eggs already?

and if my total is higher than nine then I can have 7 hatchies at a time?

Pairs that refuse once will never be able to breed? So, a black dragon and a pink dragon pair that have bred multiple times in the past, suddenly refuse.... will never breed again?

Dragons will never suddenly refuse each other if they have been successfully bred together before (except in rare glitchy cases like had happened with the mints the other week)

so pretty much I'll still be able to have five eggs with my bronze badge?

doesn't change much dry.gif but if say I realise all none CB's hyporthically speaking even if I breed the 5th egg it will be auto abandoned because I have four eggs already?

and if my total is higher than nine then I can have 7 hatchies at a time?

CURRENT SYSTEM:

All users: max 5 eggs (9 total egg/hatchling combo)

*can catch/breed 4 eggs, but 5th egg must always be bred.

*must use very careful timing to be able to have all 9 due to egg/hatchling lock limitations.

COMING SOON SYSTEM:

No Trophy: max 4 eggs (12 total egg/hatchling combo)

Bronze Trophy: max 5 eggs (15 total egg/hatchling combo)

Silver Trophy: max 6 eggs (18 total egg/hatchling combo)

Gold Trophy: max 7 eggs (21 total egg/hatchling combo)

*does not matter if you breed/catch - cannot exceed the max # of eggs.

*even when "egg locked" at the max # of eggs, you can still catch hatchlings until you reach the total egg/hatchling combo allowed per badge level.

Using "No Trophy" level as example:

4 eggs + 8 hatchlings = 12 total

3 eggs + 9 hatchlings = 12 total

2 eggs + 10 hatchlings = 12 total

1 eggs + 11 hatchlings = 12 total

0 eggs + 12 hatchlings = 12 total

You can still grab hatchies after you fill up on eggs. Or visa versa. *is so happy about that* biggrin.gif

Not visa versa. The second limit is a combined limit. So 4/12 means an egg limit of 4 and a combined limit of 12. That could mean 4 eggs 8 hatchies, 3 eggs 9 hatchies, 2 eggs 10 hatchies, 1 egg 11 hatchies, or 0 eggs 12 hatchies. All of those senarios will prevent you from grabbing or breeding anything.

Not visa versa.  The second limit is a combined limit.  So 4/12 means an egg limit of 4 and a combined limit of 12.  That could mean 4 eggs 8 hatchies, 3 eggs 9 hatchies, 2 eggs 10 hatchies, 1 egg 11 hatchies, or 0 eggs 12 hatchies.  All of those senarios will prevent you from grabbing or breeding anything.

What I meant by visa versa was that if you have (for example) no trophy, and have 8 hatchies, you can still catch your 4 eggs. Currently (as WZ explained) if you have 5 hatchies and 0 eggs, you cannot pick up any eggs. The new system means you'll be able to pick up both eggs and hatchies, regardless of the number (as long as it falls within the total).

My apologies for being unclear. Either way, WZ explained it the best, so I'll quote them from now on. lol

Edited by Gyps13

well this new egg limit is a bit confusing to me still. But being able to raise more eggs is nice, because it boosts my collecting.

But there will be more eggs in the cave I hope.

New limit is simple enough to follow.

having the ability to have more hatchies and collect eggs faster will be nice but cause some epic scroll locks at prolly the worst time tongue.gif

Dragons will never suddenly refuse each other if they have been successfully bred together before (except in rare glitchy cases like had happened with the mints the other week)

The same thing happened to me a month ago. My Magi + Water pair, after 2 children, refused to breed. The following week they gave me a no interess, and I haven't tried them until now. Maybe they will breed together again...

As we are talking about limits again, I'd like to clarify a question. Some days ago I asked about taking hatchies until their limit and then have an hatching egg, which means an hatchie beyond the limit. The answer was that will be difficult arrive to the limit, as after being locked by the eggs you can't take more hatchies (as now). Was TJ in person to say "You can take more hatchies even if egg-locked?". This isn't clear at all, it's a true thing or a misunderstanding of his words about new limits?

"You can take more hatchies even if egg-locked?". This isn't clear at all, it's a true thing or a misunderstanding of his words about new limits?

this will be true. you will be able to take more hatchies even if you are egg-locked.

Edited by ParticleSoup